Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Zookeepers optimistic about survival chances for twin pandas

visionary

http://news.yahoo.com/national-zoo-panda-mei-xiang-appears-labor-185519893.html

Zookeepers optimistic about survival chances for twin pandas

In more than three decades of trying to breed pandas at the National Zoo, there's been plenty of heartbreak. More cubs born in Washington have died than survived, and news of a birth has often been greeted warily

But on Sunday, zoo officials were nearly giddy. They don't just have an apparently healthy pair of twins, born Saturday night to panda mom Mei Xiang. They have a template to follow that gives the cubs a strong chance of survival.

Pandas won't usually nurse twins if left to their own devices. They'll care for one and allow the other to die. But in the past decade, Chinese breeders have come up with a system: Every several hours, they swap out the cubs, giving each one the critical time it needs to nurse and bond with its mother. Meanwhile, the other one is kept in an incubator.

Panda keepers at the Smithsonian's National Zoo will continue performing these delicate swaps as long as it's needed and as long as Mei Xiang lets them. The first one, early Sunday morning, was successful.

"If she gets aggressive toward us, we're not going to get that close," giant panda biologist Laurie Thompson said Sunday.

The swapping technique helped twin pandas born two years ago at Zoo Atlanta to survive. That was the second set of panda twins born in the United States. The first, born at the National Zoo in 1987, both died within days.

Scientists in China have learned much more about panda breeding since then. Two decades ago, the survival rate for panda cubs was under 20 percent. Now, it's more than 80 percent, zoo director Dennis Kelly said.

It's always amazing to me that Pandas ever survived in the wild.  

This what I've learned over the years about pandas from the National Zoo.

Pandas don't have much of a sex drive.

In the rare event that they do have sex, it's actually difficult for them to get pregnant.

Female pandas often accidently kill their babies.

Male pandas see young males as a threat - even if they are the father.

Pandas require an insane amount of bamboo.

So....yea....how did this species ever survive in the first place?

http://www.theonion.com/article/single-unemployed-mother-leeching-government-51176?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Pic:1:Default

Single, Unemployed Mother Leeching Off Government
Taking advantage of the system and giving nothing back in return, local unemployed, single mother Mei Xiang reportedly gave birth to two more children out of wedlock this week and continued to pathetically leech off the government. “This lazy freeloader was already depending on the government to take care of her other kids, and then she has the nerve to pop out a couple more? Unbelievable,” said Arlington, VA resident Evan Hunt, echoing the sentiments of millions of hardworking Americans who were appalled to learn that the moocher has never worked a single day in her life and has received federal housing assistance and cost-free child care since 2000. “She just sits on her fat ass eating all day while taxpayers fork over their hard-earned cash to pay for the handouts she gets. And you know her kids are going to grow up to be just like her, too. She’s a disgusting parasite.” At press time, the outraged nation was reportedly speculating that Mei Xiang probably didn’t even know who the father was this time either.

I think only one Giant Panda cub has been born in the national zoo and survived so fingers crossed as they say. 

Tai Shan was born around 10 years ago and went to China I think when he was 4 or 5. Then Bao Bao, who is still in DC just turned two last weekend. They showed her getting this ice "cake" with fruit frozen in ice.

Tai Shan was born around 10 years ago and went to China I think when he was 4 or 5. Then Bao Bao, who is still in DC just turned two last weekend. They showed her getting this ice "cake" with fruit frozen in ice.

Thanks for the heads up.  (The names helped me out.)  LBK had corrected me above but I thought he was full of ****.   :)

http://www.nbcwashington.com/entertainment/the-scene/322988241.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DCBrand

One of National Zoo's Newborn Panda Cubs Has Died

One of Mei Xiang's tiny newborn panda cubs has died, the National Zoo announced.

The smaller giant panda cub died shortly after 2 p.m., the zoo said.

The National Zoo will hold a press conference on the heartbreaking news at 4 p.m.

The sad thing is it's so hard for panda babies to survive. I don't know what biologically makes it so hard... But it's hard for them to conceive and hard for the babies to stay alive. I'm going to have to do more research into this. It's just sad that the babies have such a high mortality rate. There was another panda before bao bao that died shortly after being born.

Archived