Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Charley Taylor documentary airing 8/15 on NBC4 in DC

Dissident2

DVR alert: A new documentary on Charley Taylor is airing this Saturday at 7 p.m. on NBC4 here in the D.C. area. "Taylor Made for the Hall."

Tons of great footage and stories from his early life in Grand Prairie, Texas, where he dealt with segregation, his early days as a running back with the Redskins, the switch to wide receiver, his time as a coach, HOF induction, etc. Should be a good one. 

Amazing that he initially wanted to play for the Cowboys, who said they were going to draft him. The Redskins and Cowboys had the same record that year, so draft order was determined by a coin toss! Guess who won? 

Hopefully this will be made available for everyone to watch at some point. 

The stories were hilarious, especially the one where he's sent by George Allen to spy on the Cowboys facility in Texas when he was injured in 1976. That was priceless. And the highlights of his moves on the field ... he was the best receiver we ever had, imo. 

It was on Cozi TV at 7 PM tonight.  It was channel 460 on Verizon Fios....no idea when it will be on again.  Will have to check FIOS, but I recorded it on my DVR.  It was 1 hour long...and the spying on Dallas story is incredible if it is true.

It was on Cozi TV at 7 PM tonight.  It was channel 460 on Verizon Fios....no idea when it will be on again.  Will have to check FIOS, but I recorded it on my DVR.  It was 1 hour long...and the spying on Dallas story is incredible if it is true.

Yeah, and also the story about him actually getting out of an ambulance in Kansas City on his way back from the hospital after breaking his ankle during a game. The drivers were listening to the game and enjoying the KC comeback. He asked them to turn it off, they didn't, and he demanded to get out of the ambulance to walk back to the stadium. LOL. What a time for football that was.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this in case anyone missed it the first time and needs something to watch over the bye. Was great to see Charley among the alumni this past weekend. I grew up in the Monk era, but I now actually think CT was the best receiver we ever had. 

I grew up during the Monk era also, and was just starting to become a Redskins fan around the time Taylor retired. Watched this about a week ago and it was great.

Highly recommend it.

Charley Taylor.

Redskin.

I grew up during the Monk era also, and was just starting to become a Redskins fan around the time Taylor retired. Watched this about a week ago and it was great.

Highly recommend it.

Charley Taylor.

Redskin.

Yeah, the ending really gets to me, seeing him back in RFK and seeing how different he looks these days, how he's walking with a cane. It's very bittersweet. Even when you hear him talk now, he sounds like almost a different person than in the clip of his HOF induction speech. Such a shame what a lot of these older players endured physically and the lack of support many of them got after they left the game. He was one tough SOB, that's for sure. Seems like he still is. 

Archived