Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

My news reader goes back to before Thanksgiving... been that busy. Still catching up

Slashdot -  Ransomware Compromises San Francisco's Mass Transit System

Buses and light rail cars make San Francisco's "Muni" fleet the seventh largest mass transit system in America. But yesterday its arrival-time screens just displayed the message "You Hacked, ALL Data Encrypted" -- and all the rides were free, according to a local CBS report shared by RAYinNYC:

:ols:

• Like 1

Bloomberg segment on amazon's Alexa headliner:

Success of amazon's Alexa so great Google and apple can no longer ignore it

Um...

Google has a competitor in fact Google has an entire line of 'devices to assist around the house" curtesy of purchasing other companies.

Apple has been making devices with a similar mindset but has taken a much different approach.

If anyone is ignoring it in the big tech sector it's Microsoft. Definitely not Google or apple...

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Bloomberg segment on amazon's Alexa headliner:

Success of amazon's Alexa so great Google and apple can no longer ignore it

Um...

Google has a competitor in fact Google has an entire line of 'devices to assist around the house" curtesy of purchasing other companies.

Apple has been making devices with a similar mindset but has taken a much different approach.

If anyone is ignoring it in the big tech sector it's Microsoft. Definitely not Google or apple...

I think they're saying that Google and Apple, as companies with competing products, cannot ignore Alexa.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

not sure why people think alexa is cool.  It's dumb and i see no use for it

Same here, though I also am perplexed why people are so infatuated by tablets. I don't own one. So I'm wierd.

Also so not interested in an 'always listening to you' device in my house.

22 minutes ago, tshile said:

Same here, though I also am perplexed why people are so infatuated by tablets. I don't own one. So I'm wierd.

Also so not interested in an 'always listening to you' device in my house.

tablets are fine. i have a iPad but i still love using my MacBook.

2 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

I don't think you can. Or at least, the version of Roku I have isn't capable of doing it. 

one of my tv in my home doesn't have HD so i dont want to pay a monthly fee and figure a ROKU has access to a number of live channels right??

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

one of my tv in my home doesn't have HD so i dont want to pay a monthly fee and figure a ROKU has access to a number of live channels right??

I tried Roku and Sling TV, for a while, as a way of getting rid of cable.  My first test was to stream a Redskins game (from ESPN.)  

It sucked.  Really badly.  I disconnected the thing before my free trial was up.  Because of the terrible dekay in the stream.  (Before the offensive series was even over, I was five plays behind the actual game.  The radio stream I was listening to, was coming back from commercials when Roku hadn't even gone to commercial, yet.  (And every time it switched to/from/between commercials, the delay for worse.)  

Now maybe that problem would have been less, if I had a better Internet connection.  (BellSouth DSL.)  And if I wasn't watching a live sporting event (while trying to chat with the Skins fans, on line), the delay wouldn't have ticked me off so much.  

But yeah, my Ruku/Sling experiment lasted about 15 minutes.  

Yeah, just get an hd antenna. I use the leaf 30 on my tv's. Get over thirty stations. 

In hindsight...it irritated me that, these high end tv's...don't have a built in antenna. 

Reasonable price around 40 bucks. Really thin like a mouse pad. Easily hung on the wall, or simply behind the tv. Seriously, with a push pin. 

I have a roku on one tv. Never tried to bother with the local stations, but my wife says there used to be an app for the cable stations. I prefer the firestick for app tv. 

(I'm posting this in the dnc hacking thread as well, so if you want to comment on the politics of it all go there. I think the tech side of it will do better here, and I think it'll interest some of you)

I stopped being big on Krebs when his blog turned into 90% 'my site has been hacked again because I'm so cool' and 'look how much this is selling for on this darknet forum' posts. Just didn't interest me.

But I keep him in my feed because every now and then he drops an excellent, excellent article. This one is about all the Russian hacking news lately, and he has some incredible back story for it, including why it's so hard for western governments to do anything about it from a law enforcement perspective, and how the Russian hacking network was born.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/01/the-download-on-the-dnc-hack/

I'm not posting quotes because it's so long I wouldn't know how to trim it. So instead I gave a very brief summary above.

• Like 2

Looking for feedback to make sure i'm not making a mistake here, the goal is to protect the information:

Setting up O365 encryption. It's done with transport rules, details are not important other than recognizing the encryption is done at the server level before sending the mail outbound.

They have the option of setting up decryption rules for inbound replies. So the decryption would occur at the server level, then the email would be in plain text in the mailbox.

So mailflow would look like this:

Sender -> Exchange -> Encrypt -> Outbound to recipient, Recipient replies -> Exchange -> Decrypt->message -> Mailbox -> Outlook/active sync devices

Communication between activesync devices and outlook is encrypted. Activesync devices are encrypted, as are the computers' drives. Portal access is encrypted. Active sync devices are set up with device admins so we can wipe them.

Replies to any of those decrypted messages would encrypted, again at the server level.

Am I missing something here?

It seems to me the only way to access the data would be to have the person's username and password to get into the device, then you could access the data in plain text via outlook/phone app. But if you have that, then you don't even need the devices, you can just go to the 0365 portal and log in, and it's using the same username/password to decrypt the messages so whether it's in plain text on the email, or you click the attachment and log in (same credentials) there is no difference.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

If anyone is considering rolling out office 365 email encryption, send me a pm.

i found this:

https://www.skylinetechnologies.com/Blog/Skyline-Blog/August-2015/EmailMessageEncryption

basically you can set it up so that a little button shows up in OWA and in Exchange (pushed via group policy) that allows the user to manually choose to encrypt the message. the plan was (not decided by me) to train the users to do this for message encryption, and to use the transport rules as a fall back for when people forget or use a mobile device to send the email.

but that guide is pretty bad ass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Aw I never played that game :(

The first one is being remade right now (I never played the original; looks like it may be a little too dated).  System Shock 2 is still quite playable these days, though.  Anyways, the antagonist is an AI named Shodan, which I am positive is the namesake of that search tool used to find all of those vulnerable MongoDB databases.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tshile said:

If anyone is considering rolling out office 365 email encryption, send me a pm.

i found this:

https://www.skylinetechnologies.com/Blog/Skyline-Blog/August-2015/EmailMessageEncryption

basically you can set it up so that a little button shows up in OWA and in Exchange (pushed via group policy) that allows the user to manually choose to encrypt the message. the plan was (not decided by me) to train the users to do this for message encryption, and to use the transport rules as a fall back for when people forget or use a mobile device to send the email.

but that guide is pretty bad ass.

Sounds cool. Unfortunately, we are stuck with Identrust PKI's or CAC.

Kind of excited when I get to play with new tech. We recently decided to change course on our virtual backups. Made an investment in Rubrik after years with Veeam.

https://www.rubrik.com/solutions/backup-recovery/

• Like 1

THE REAL NAME FALLACY

People often say that online behavior would improve if every comment system forced people to use their real names. It sounds like it should be true – surely nobody would say mean things if they faced consequences for their actions?

Yet the balance of experimental evidence over the past thirty years suggests that this is not the case. Not only would removing anonymity fail to consistently improve online community behavior – forcing real names in online communities could also increase discrimination and worsen harassment.

We need to change our entire approach to the question. Our concerns about anonymity are overly-simplistic; system design can’t solve social problems without actual social change.

Lots more at the link.

Interesting study, debunks the myth that non-anonymity would help with online behavior.

Edited by tshile