Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-31/centurylink-agrees-to-buy-level-3-for-34-billion-in-cash-stock

CenturyLink Inc. agreed to buy Level 3 Communications Inc. for about $34 billion cash and stock in a deal that will create a more formidable competitor in the market for business telecommunications services.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CenturyLink is terrible and level3 is awesome and level3 is responsible for critical infrastructure :(

the internet got significantly worse over night :(

this is terrible news :(

CenturyLink is basically a lesser known but just as ****ty (maybe even worse) Comcast :(

• Like 1

On 10/29/2016 at 11:28 PM, tshile said:

Try this

Click on start menu and type in: services.msc

Open the services snap-in. Scroll down to Windows updates servie. Right click, choose stop

Go to c:\windows

On 10/29/2016 at 11:28 PM, tshile said:

Sorry not too tech savvy. I have windos 10. After I push windows button where do i go to type that in(services.msc)? then do i click on my computer to go to the c/windows? Thanks for the help

@turtle

no problem.

when you click on the windows button you can just start typing. It'll do a search of the computer for programs, files, etc. Just type:

services.msc

It'll bring up something that should say "services"

Should look like this:

Services-msc-Windows-10.jpg

When you click on it you'll open the Services snap-in which shows you all the services on your computer.

When you get to the part about going to c:\windows to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder, yes you can click on Computer. That's called "Explorer", it's the file browser for Windows. Expand out computer, then expand out the C drive

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

@turtle

no problem.

when you click on the windows button you can just start typing. It'll do a search of the computer for programs, files, etc. Just type:

services.msc

It'll bring up something that should say "services"

Should look like this:

When I push the windows button I dont have the bar at the bottom to type anything into. sorry for being a pain in he butt

2 minutes ago, turtle said:

When I push the windows button I dont have the bar at the bottom to type anything into. sorry for being a pain in he butt

You're not being a pain in the butt, don't worry about it.

You don't have to find something to type in, just start typing on the keyboard. It works, trust me :)

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

You're not being a pain in the butt, don't worry about it.

You don't have to find something to type in, just start typing on the keyboard. It works, trust me :)

ok got the services pulled up and stopped. I went into c drive deleted the software dist folder, whats the next step. accidentally deleted part of post when i quoted you

2 minutes ago, turtle said:

ok got the services pulled up and stopped. I went into c drive deleted the software dist folder, whats the next step. accidentally deleted part of post when i quoted you

Once the folder is deleted just restart your computer and wait for it to re-download the update and try to reinstall it.

Might take a day or two depending on your internet connection, how often the computer is on, and your update settings.

day or two? damn is it like a factory reset? will i lose any files?

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Once the folder is deleted just restart your computer and wait for it to re-download the update and try to reinstall it.

Might take a day or two depending on your internet connection, how often the computer is on, and your update settings.

will i lose any other items?

1 minute ago, turtle said:

day or two? damn is it like a factory reset? will i lose any files?

will i lose any other items?

you can use your computer while it's doing this.

no, it's not a factory restart. All you did was delete the windows update files off your computer so your computer will have to download them all again. It just takes a while to download those updates and try to install them again.

You can force it by opening windows update, but I was just trying to make this as easy and let it do it on its own.

you won't lose anything, you can use your computer after you restart it.

• Like 1

Just now, tshile said:

you can use your computer while it's doing this.

no, it's not a factory restart. All you did was delete the windows update files off your computer so your computer will have to download them all again. It just takes a while to download those updates and try to install them again.

You can force it by opening windows update, but I was just trying to make this as easy and let it do it on its own.

you won't lose anything, you can use your computer after you restart it.

Thank you for much, I will do the reset and let you know how it goes. thanks for your patience.

42 minutes ago, tshile said:

I restarted says new time and date for disturbution folder but only the update ive been having trouble with is coming up to download

13 minutes ago, turtle said:

I restarted says new time and date for disturbution folder but only the update ive been having trouble with is coming up to download

That's exactly what should happen. See if it'll install correctly this time.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-31/centurylink-agrees-to-buy-level-3-for-34-billion-in-cash-stock

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CenturyLink is terrible and level3 is awesome and level3 is responsible for critical infrastructure :(

the internet got significantly worse over night :(

this is terrible news :(

CenturyLink is basically a lesser known but just as ****ty (maybe even worse) Comcast :(

I've never had to deal with CenturyLink,but I have had the displeasure of working with Level 3. I found their pricing ridiculous and their professionalism shakey at best. 

33 minutes ago, turtle said:

it said i deleted thousnds of files in that folder will they all be reinstalled

only the ones that pertain to updates you don't have.

these files are used to install updates on your computer. nothing else.

this is a standard troubleshooting tactic for issues with windows updates.

let it try to download and install the update and see what happens. don't worry about it until then.

Not real thrilled Google released the details of a windows kernel vulnerability 10 days after notifying Microsoft, violating their own policy of giving vendors 60 days to fix or publish a vulnerability they disclose

doesn't seem right. Feel like there's something else going on there.

25 minutes ago, tshile said:

Not real thrilled Google released the details of a windows kernel vulnerability 10 days after notifying Microsoft, violating their own policy of giving vendors 60 days to fix or publish a vulnerability they disclose

doesn't seem right. Feel like there's something else going on there.

Maybe Google's working to slowly kill Microsoft and make the world a better place :D

• Like 1

Just now, Gamebreaker said:

Or maybe they want to replace Microsoft and end up being even worse. 

I don't think they have anything in the OS world to replace Windows.  All they've got is Android which is built on Linux and is GNU licensed.  If google replacing Microsoft means greater proliferation of Linux, sign me up.

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Maybe Google's working to slowly kill Microsoft and make the world a better place :D

google of 8 years ago, i'd welcome it

google of now? no thanks. that company is about share value now. reading the exit letters form higher ups there over the last 5 years has been depressing :(

Edited by tshile

2 hours ago, tshile said:

google of 8 years ago, i'd welcome it

google of now? no thanks. that company is about share value now. reading the exit letters form higher ups there over the last 5 years has been depressing :(

Yeah, but I mean, it's Microsoft.  They've been keeping us down for too long.  Maybe it's time for a new overlord.

• Like 1

For those working in a Windows Domain environment, what kind of inventory management software have you worked with and liked?  I've been working with and tweeking powershell scripts because we don't have anything like that, but manager wants something more dynamic and presentable (aka GUI friendly).  Been looking at the following today:

Been testing out Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit and this one (need to be able to find OSX machines, plan is to have all of ours joined to domain, only a couple right now): 

http://www.network-inventory-advisor.com/