Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

5 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Anything said in the media is generally worthless. Can Arena really slander his employer publicly? Prob not smart since his team looked unmotivated and disorganized in nearly all phases of the game.

Only if Arena is going to be a leader. Speaking truth to power is the greatest hallmark of great leadership. Ducking the tough questions and glossing over the issues is not leadership. 

The worst part about all of this is that I deeply suspect that all we’ll see is a couple folks getting fired and a return to status quo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

That's insane hyperbole.

12 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Agreed, this loss is seriously disappointing, but no where near “The Miracle On Ice”. Not even close.

The fact we didn't qualify is what makes it a bigger disappointment, don't focus on just the Trinidad game.

We are consistently ranked top 30 in the world, have qualified out of the group stage in 3 out of the last 4 world cups and made it out of the group of death last world cup, how is that "no where near" the miracle on ice?

Maybe you don't follow soccer close enough, I do and that's my opinion along with many others.

It's at least debatable that this epic failure is as devastating to US soccer as that hockey win was helpful to US hockey.

Edited by jschuck12001

1 minute ago, jschuck12001 said:

The fact we didn't qualify is what makes it a bigger disappointment, don't focus on just the Trinidad game.

We are consistently ranked top 30 in the world, have qualified out of the group stage in 3 out of the last 4 world cups and made it out of the group of death last world cup, how is that "no where near" the miracle on ice?

Maybe you don't follow soccer close enough, I do and that's my opinion along with many others.

Are you old enough to actually remember The Miracle on Ice? 

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

The miracle on ice was perhaps the greatest hockey team in the world (soccer analogy Barcelona) vs the US Amateurs (soccer analogy Maryland Terps) .  Russia has beaten the US 10-3 one month prior to the miracle on ice.   This was no miracle on turf.  Not even close.  

If we were to rank all soccer sides, everywhere, mixing Club sides with National sides, the US side might not be top 200.   The USMNT just isn't very good, they didn't qualify for the WC.  Don't allow your disappointment to inflate their abilities.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The miracle on ice was perhaps the greatest hockey team in the world (soccer analogy Barcelona) vs the US Amateurs (soccer analogy Maryland Terps) .  Russia has beaten the US 10-3 one month prior to the miracle on ice.   This was no miracle on turf.  Not even close.  

If we were to rank all soccer sides, everywhere, mixing Club sides with National sides, the US side might not be top 200.   The USMNT just isn't very good, they didn't qualify for the WC.  Don't allow your disappointment to inflate their abilities.

Exactly.

The Soviet team was a state sponsored juggernaut. They were basically the NHL All Stars and had dominated EVERYONE. The US team was a bunch of college kids. 

The USMNT was not either the Soviets nor the US frat boys. Also, there was NO massive poltical ”US against the evil Russians” political hype.

This was an under performing US squad that failed to qualify for the last THREE international tournaments, playing a team that was LAST in the CONCACAF hex, scoring 3 points in the entire qualification round, and with like a -15 goal differential.

ANYONE comparing this to The Miracle on Ice simply fails to grasp the magnitude of what happened with that hockey game. And simply wants to inflate the stature of the USMNT to godlike levels.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

2 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Simply embarrassing that Arena and Gulati haven't resigned/been fired yet. Hard for the world to take us seriously when we can't even display the basic fundamentals of cleaning house after failing to qualify for the World Cup.

Agreed.

If we were Japanese they’s have alread committed seppuku. In The America’s Cup their heads would already be miu ted in the trophy case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

Bottom line is that we scored the most goals in the hex, more than everyone so it makes more sense to beat up on our defense if you're going to attack our talent.

My point was that's it's a debatable topic, one of the people who responded to my post said my analogy was "insane", I think that was taking it a bit far.

Look at the facts, we score goals but we let in too many, if you watch US soccer you know we have a weak defense, I think people are making more of it than what it simply is.

Ranking club and national teams together makes no sense so I can't really respond on that, I can tell you BATE is the 100th ranked club team in the world and we could beat them with our current team (Without brooks and Tim C).

37 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

This was an under performing US squad that failed to qualify for the last THREE international tournaments, playing a team that was LAST in the CONCACAF hex, scoring 3 points in the entire qualification round, and with like a -15 goal differential.

What 3 international tournaments are you referring too?  We missed the Confed Cup, what are the other 2?

I'm trying to make the US look "god like", wtf is wrong with you. LOL

Edited by jschuck12001

30 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

What 3 international tournaments are you referring too?  We missed the Confed Cup, what are the other 2?

I'm trying to make the US look "god like", wtf is wrong with you. LOL

Olympics

World Cup

And the ONLY way the USMNT equates to The Miracle is if the USMNT were the godlike juggernauts that the Soviets were. If Trinidad knocked out Brazil, then you might have a point. But the USMNT is not equal to the Soviet team. Not even close.

it just isn’t.

If the USMNT had to qualify out of Europe or South America we would never see the World Cup. But we qualify out of CONCACAF, not exactly a den of monsters.

And no, it’s not debateable. You’re wanting to inflate this loss into something it just isn’t.

55 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Agreed.

If we were Japanese they’s have alread committed seppuku. In The America’s Cup their heads would already be miu ted in the trophy case.

In South America, there would be wall-to-wall coverage for weeks. The poor **** would have to go into hiding. :cheers:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Ranking club and national teams together makes no sense so I can't really respond on that, I can tell you BATE is the 100th ranked club team in the world and we could beat them with our current team (Without brooks and Tim C).

My point being the Team Germany may be a top 10 side overall.  Team US may not be 200, so claiming we are 30 in FIFA rankings is technically true, but has little basis for the quality of the side. 

Trust me, I was Caps losing in the 1st round disappointed when the US lost.  We just weren't good. 

21 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Olympics

World Cup

And the ONLY way the USMNT equates to The Miracle is if the USMNT were the godlike juggernauts that the Soviets were. If Trinidad knocked out Brazil, then you might have a point. But the USMNT is not equal to the Soviet team. Not even close.

it just isn’t.

If the USMNT had to qualify out of Europe or South America we would never see the World Cup. But we qualify out of CONCACAF, not exactly a den of monsters.

And no, it’s not debateable. You’re wanting to inflate this loss into something it just isn’t.

Our issue with the Olympics is more about depth, we had players playing on the senior team that could have played in those Olympic qualifiers but didn't because we needed them.

We played well in the Copa against those SA teams you're talking about, what was the difference?  A healthy Brooks and Chandler, those 2 have been out since we beat Paraguay in that tournament and our defense has suffered BIGLY.

I'm guessing you didn't see those games but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, CONCACAF is weak but so is the Asian region, 47 countries and only 2 or 3 are worth anything.

Do you think we have a chance at making the next Confederations Cup?

I guess the question to ask is how did that hockey game change hockey in the USA,  I can tell you missing the WC will probably cost us a shot at some players with dual citizenship who haven't committed yet.

You keep making all of these excuses for why we didn’t show up in the Olympics, and why we didn’t show up on the World Cup, at everything has an excuse for the failure of the US men’s national team to produce. The reality is there not the monster that the Soviet team was and, they are at best a third tier side.  As such getting beat by Trinidad and Tobago is hardly equivalent to the Soviets falling to the frat boys on the US hockey team. To equate to two is just absurd. 

CONCACAF Has 3 1/2 qualification spots that was created to virtually guarantee the US men’s national team in world cup to has 3 1/2 qualification spots that was created to virtually guarantee the US men’s national team in the World Cup. The fact that they blew it not over one game, but over the course of the last year and a half demonstrates how poor of a side they are.

You can insist on maintaining this argument if you want, but you’re just going to get laughed at. The two simply don’t equal one another. And you can keep going with the snide comments that maybe I don’t know soccer, but that just makes your arrogance so much more laughable on this topic.

So enjoy discussing this with your buddies on facebook, but here it’s just stupid.

G’day

23 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

A conference call? Not even the semblance of accountability if you can't do it face-to-face.

NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL don't have to worry about soccer threatening their positions, the US soccer federation isn't serious about its sport.

Put him in front of the firing squad.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:04 PM, BenningRoadSkin said:

huh? 

My post said you can start blooding them in now with hopes for getting ready for the 2022 world cup and seeing if they are good enough.

Not, "play them now so that we can qualify for the 2018 world cup because they are our only hope."

That's different. Notice I said "Pulisic generation." That means his cohort are teenagers, not the 22 year olds you wanted to hype up.

Okay....

I'm not going to call you an idiot, but I said that exact same thing about the mid-20s players and you spent two days bull ****ting me.

6 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You didn't understand my post.

i am not hyping the mid-20 year olds. Perry Kitchen ain't that good.

I understand everything you're saying.

Don't be disappointed in yourself that you are seeing things the same as me, now.  It takes some longer than others but the point is you got to right.

Now spread the good word, brother.

16 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

We played well in the Copa against those SA teams you're talking about, what was the difference?  A healthy Brooks and Chandler, those 2 have been out since we beat Paraguay in that tournament and our defense has suffered BIGLY.

If you, or anyone else, is/was pinning their hopes on those two, well then, US soccer is righteously ****ed. Chandler is no better than Villafana, they're both bums, and Brooks is a plodding giant mistake waiting to happen. He may be a marginal up grade over Gonzales, which would take that back line from dumpster fire up to just dissster.

They did okay in Copa, on home soil, against mostly B and C SA teams. 

On on another note. I did not see, no hear, the Gulati presser, but the excerpts I saw were the same old BS. If this were ANY other country in the world, he and Arena would either step down, be immediately replaced, or shot on the street.

Edited by Long n Left

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

I understand everything you're saying.

Don't be disappointed in yourself that you are seeing things the same as me, now.  It takes some longer than others but the point is you got to right.

Now spread the good word, brother.

i have no idea what you are talking about at this point my G.

21 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

It's at least debatable that this epic failure is as devastating to US soccer as that hockey win was helpful to US hockey.

The gap between the US and the other nations isnt as big as you want to make it seem. Thats why no one can see your point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The gap between the US and the other nations isnt as big as you want to make it seem. Thats why no one can see your point.

Its fine, it was just a quick opinion based on frustration and my own perception. When it happened I couldn't think of another international sporting event where there was such huge let down as this one, the first thing that came to mind was that hockey game (the antithesis happened).  I really didnt think it would become a hot button topic on this thread, 

The team has issues no doubt, I agree with 95% of what most say but I don't think we failed to qualify because we lack the talent I just think we lack character.

• Like 1