Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

• 4 months later...

Bumping for the eclipse.

Still too early to say for sure, but currently the long range models are looking good and pretty clear for the eclipse on the 8th. At least for the DMV.

Just need it to stay that way.....

I was out for about 20 minutes (just had to grab a couple things for the weekend), and I'm wrecked by pollen.  So is everyone else, the guy in the convenience store was in absolute misery. 

And, of course, I forgot to get allergy stuff.  😬

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I was out for about 20 minutes (just had to grab a couple things for the weekend), and I'm wrecked by pollen.  So is everyone else, the guy in the convenience store was in absolute misery. 

And, of course, I forgot to get allergy stuff.  😬

DoorDash it! Ending the misery for to be worth 6 extra dollars. Last year I made the mistake of buying the allergy medicine from Sam’s club. I’ll be good for the next 20 years assuming it never expires. Oh, what’s that? It does expire? **** me.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2024 at 11:52 PM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

DoorDash it! Ending the misery for to be worth 6 extra dollars. Last year I made the mistake of buying the allergy medicine from Sam’s club. I’ll be good for the next 20 years assuming it never expires. Oh, what’s that? It does expire? **** me.

Even if it expires, it's okay, just a little less potent (says mom, the nurse).  

We've got both pollen & humidity today.   This sucks. 

Though the NWS has a very slight chance of very scattered showers on Monday, all the models are currently rain free. Even if we had a pop up shower, it wouldn't last long. I currently think we should still be good in the DMV. Probably won't be 100% sunny for the eclipse, but we should be OK! Lettuce pray 🙏

Edited by Skins24

• 2 weeks later...

Huge Saharan dust blob cooling eastern Atlantic

A huge plume of Saharan dust is now visible on satellite loops coming off of Africa into the eastern Tropical Atlantic Ocean. This, combined with stronger than normal easterly winds of the Saharan Desert, is helping cool part of the far Eastern Atlantic, where the seeds for some hurricane season storms originate.

TROP-SAHARAN-DUST-FORECAST.gif?w=900

While the suspended dust makes for hazy skies and—when it falls down—can result in a very dusty ground over land, there is an upside. The haze blocks out the sun and helps cools the ocean surface.

That’s good because surface ocean temperatures in the main (hurricane) development region of the Atlantic have been running deep into record hot territory. The map below shows above normal sea surface temperatures in red, which is basically the whole Tropical Atlantic.

SST-ANOMALY.png?resize=876,492

Click on the link for the full article

11 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

too ****ing cold today and tomorrow

I shouldn't have to wear hoodie in late April 

gon head up to Baltimore tommorow it's gonna be 60 😂

You need to just get it over with already and move down to a country along the equator. 🤣

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Like 1

Rare ‘backward-spinning’ tornado among twisters wreaking havoc in Oklahoma Tuesday

There have been dozens of tornadoes sighted across the Plains and Midwest over the past week in a relentless severe weather pattern, but one tornado in particular has the meteorology community buzzing after Doppler radar indicated it was spinning "backward" from typical tornadoes.

"Radar detected some strange things (Tuesday) night," FOX Weather Meteorologist Stephen Morgan said.

The tornado was one of multiple indicated in Oklahoma’s Tillman County near Loveland on Tuesday evening just after 10 p.m. CT.

In addition to tracking rain and hail, Doppler radar can measure the wind speed and direction inside storms. Tornadoes are usually indicated when radar scans show a rapid twisting of the winds in a counterclockwise direction, the same as a low-pressure center.

But on Tuesday evening, radar indicated two tornadoes in proximity near Loveland, one of which showed rapid spin in a clockwise direction – likely an "anticyclonic" tornado.

"(Tuesday) night, radar detected an anticyclonic satellite tornado, meaning it spun the other direction … and rotated around what you could call a ‘normal’ tornado," Morgan said. "What we saw …. was very rare."

A FOX Forecast Center analysis of historical data indicates that less than 2% of all tornadoes across the U.S. spin clockwise.

"The reason tornadoes are cyclonic (counterclockwise) is because of the Coriolis force," FOX Weather Senior Meteorologist Jordan Overton said, referencing how the rotation of the Earth will make low-pressure centers spin counterclockwise. 

Houston area facing 'catastrophic' flood conditions as severe weather pummels Texas

The Houston area is bracing for "catastrophic" flooding Friday as severe downpours and extreme weather pummel parts of Texas.

Harris County's Office of Emergency Management moved to its highest activation level Friday morning in anticipation of the imminent flooding, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo told reporters during a news conference.

Hidalgo warned residents that the forecast has changed as heavy rains have already fallen in northern Polk County and will make their way to Harris County sooner than expected.

ae67722732c66a982e37e0508745be14

The tornado outlook for today:

1643z.jpg

Convective outlooks are issued for the following eight days (issued separately for Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, and Days 4–8), and detail the risk of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes during the given forecast period, although tornado, hail and wind details are only available for Day 1. Days 2 and 3, as well as 4–8 use a probabilistic scale, determining the probability for a severe weather event in percentage categories.

• Sad 1

NWS confirms 11 tornadoes from Tuesday’s storms

The National Weather Service out of Wilmington has confirmed multiple tornado touchdowns in several counties around the Miami Valley.

Wednesday as of 8:04 p.m., there have been 11confirmed tornados in the Miami Valley that occurred Tuesday. In Warren County, five tornadoes were observed. NWS has also confirmed touchdowns in Clinton, Darke, Auglaize, Mercer and Franklin Counties.

NWS in Wilmington reported their first confirmed tornado from Tuesday in southeast Indiana.

Meanwhile in Michigan:

Watch: Michigan tornado flattens 'every single tree on property' in 45 seconds

• Sad 2