Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

On 11/25/2016 at 8:56 AM, skinsfan_1215 said:

I've decided that fried turkey is the only turkey worth eating.

I've fried a few in my time, and I think that it is very, very good, but I'll stack up my smoked turkey against it any time.  I don't fry them anymore, for a few reasons.  Pain in the ass mess and clean-up.  Lot's of leftover oil, (admittedly, I strain it and re-use for a while), and the #1 reason is that the leftovers are not nearly as good as a smoked turkey.   Right out of the fryer, and the day of, the meat is tender and juicy.  The leftovers , however, are dry.     

10 hours ago, steve09ru said:

Got a dehydrater for housewarming gift so testing it out with some ground beef (didn't have time to get any good cuts).

Kneaded and mixed in some various items (soy, Worcester, buffalo, vinegar, cayenne, red pepper, and a few others).  Doing a pound of spicy/hot and pound of light (took away buffalo and added a1).

what does everyone else use for jerky?  Any preferences or recommendations?

I don't have a recipe.  I use this stuff.  It's delicious, and idiot-proof.  https://www.himtnjerky.com/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2016 at 8:41 AM, China said:

Sure you do.

Don't Fall Victim to Olive Oil Fraud

Italy Arrests 33 Accused of Olive Oil Fraud

An Italian operation led to the arrest of 33 believed to be a part of the Piromalli clan, an organization that has allegedly infiltrated the olive oil trade in Italy and exported fake products to the U.S.

Click on the link for the full article

I'm in the market for a new grill. I'm looking for suggestions from anyone. 

Im considering a Weber, Napoleon or possibly blowing the budget in an island with a built in grill. We have a family for four grill 3-4 nights a week during the summer. I have a separate smoker so that's not a necessity. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

I've got a smoker for charcoal when I want to do it right. I'm looking for the quick and easy of propane and propane accessories. 

I'm in a odd window right now as we are redoing are kitchen and our old hand me down grill is failing. The wife gave me the go ahead to replace it. 

I'd ideally like to spend under a grand but I don't think that's possible with a higher quality item. For reference we cook a lot and are putting a Thermador all gas range in the kitchen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Psh, I have two young kids and I still use charcoal on the weeknights.  (Though admittedly, gas is more convenient and not everybody's kids are as lazy about making their way to the dinner table as mine.)

I used to be all about gas because charcoal was sooooo slow. Then a buddy of mine bought me a Weber kettle with a chimney starter. My world will never be the same!!

Wadded paper towel with oil on it (or paper towels from cleaning cadt iron) pour Old Hickory briquettes, light the paper towels, 5 min later pour and cook. I don't even own a gas grill any more, and I'll be upgrading to a Big Green Egg (or cheaper competitor) soon. 

For me it's about the quality of the food, and versatility. Last summer I cooked out on my Weber 3-4 times per week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

I've got a charcoal chimney, I've never actually thought about using it on a regular grill. 

I'll have to think about that. The eggs are obscene but everyone raves about them. 

???   What else would you use it for?     You are talking about one of these, right?     For the cost of a Big Green Egg, I'm pretty sure that you can get a Weber kettle and gas grill,  There's not much cooking space on an egg.

weber-rapidfire-chimney-starter.jpg

• Like 1

Cost isn't what keeps me from getting a ceramic grill, it's  really the damn weight.  Those things weigh a ton.  An X-large BGE just a hair bigger than the Weber Kettle weighs 219 pounds. 

Edited by HOF44

@GoSkinsGo  I have a Jenn-Air 3 burner propane grill, stainless steel and loved it.  It was a three burner with the infrared burner on the top rack in the back.  And it had the side burner (also infrared) to cook vegetables, etc. on.  The burners went bad and I was too lazy to replace them and wanted a charcoal grill anyhow.  Asked the fine people in this thread what they recommended and it was the best decision I made.

Go with a charcoal Webber Kettle.  You already got a chimney smoker, just buy a set of the briquet holders and your all set.  With the chimney smoker it takes 5-10 minutes to light all the coals, then you dump them in the briquet holders so you can control the heat and get cooking.  You can get it hot enough to cook food just as fast as would on a propane grill and it tastes a lot better.  

The only really extra added time is the clean-up afterwards with the ash, but if you get the one with the ash collector, its really just brushing the ash into that after the coals burn out completely and you empty it when it's full, maybe once a week if you use it a lot.  No biggie at all, talking 5 minutes.  

To be fair, if a gas grill is what you want there's nothing wrong with that. It certainly is convenient not to have to worry about distributing coals, cleaning up ash, etc. I just love the ritual of firing up the chimney with a drink in hand too much to ever go back. 

Just now, dfitzo53 said:

To be fair, if a gas grill is what you want there's nothing wrong with that. It certainly is convenient not to have to worry about distributing coals, cleaning up ash, etc. I just love the ritual of firing up the chimney with a drink in hand too much to ever go back. 

There is a reason I still haven't bothered fixing the burners on my gas grill, I love the charcoal one so much better.  I was actually surprised that it didn't take that much more time to cook on than my gas one.  As mentioned, just the ash clean up.  The chimney smoker takes 10 mins tops, which is about how long I would let my gas one heat up on high to clean before using it.  

So, in reality about 5-7 more minutes after I put the coals in and heat up the grilling grate on the charcoal.  Then the 5 minutes of dealing with the ash.  10-15 more minutes is well worth it since the quality of the food is so much better than it is when using gas, imo.  And I cook on it during the week as well and not just weekends.

Also if you haven't tried Big Green Egg Lump Charcoal, give it a shot.  NO flavors like some of the briquettes give off.  It's my go to now for grilling.  I use Stubbs all natural for smoking since the briquettes are more predictable. 

Edited by HOF44

Also try this stuff out.  Get a hanger steak and marinate it about 24 hours and grill it as hot as your grill will get.  

https://www.amazon.com/Korean-BBQ-Beef-29-63fl-Pack/dp/B00L16XBDA/ref=pd_sim_325_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00L16XBDA&pd_rd_r=GCJZV1N20WRB08V1F79T&pd_rd_w=RTgMm&pd_rd_wg=0iGRw&psc=1&refRID=GCJZV1N20WRB08V1F79T

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 1

With the weather being nice today (76 degrees here in Charlotte) and this thread getting fired back up made me want to grill today.  Just finished cleaning the grill, didn't realize how much ash and grease buildup I had.  It was peeling out of the top of the kettle lid, so I had no choice on cleaning it, don't want black grease flakes ruining my steaks.

Got some dry rub from Quaker Steak N Lube I'm gonna use on them.  Wife is at the store now picking up the steaks and corn.  First grill of the year for me........and it feels so wrong with it being February lol

• Like 1