Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Excel Spreadsheet Help

daveakl

Anyone know an easy way to import the records of all nfl teams year by year from 1993 on?

I'm hoping to be able to extract records over x years and compare them to ours over a specific period to see if there are teams that were as inept as the Redskins and now are perennial playoff teams.

Further I want to see if there is any correlation with those that did improve in terms of drafting, management change, fa signings, etc.

Just kick yourself in the balls. Much less work same result

4 kids, one already stuck being a redskins fan (6 year old girl who cried when she heard rgiii may get traded). The other three are still fair game between Redskins and Steelers (wife's team). Need to decide how hard I want to fight for the others.

I gotta go with Zoony on this one. :lol:  You don't need a lot of fancy stats to know the truth about the Skins. As with the most basic parts of geometric proofs, it's obvious by inspection that we're Raiders East. Unfortunately for us, Danny is barely middle aged whereas Al Davis is long gone. :(  Damn. I need a drink.

Us old school suckers are trapped like rats. However it's not too late for your kids Dave. Save them while you still can.

I gotta go with Zoony on this one. :lol:  You don't need a lot of fancy stats to know the truth about the Skins. As with the most basic parts of geometric proofs, it's obvious by inspection that we're Raiders East. Unfortunately for us, Danny is barely middle aged whereas Al Davis is long gone. :(  Damn. I need a drink.

Us old school suckers are trapped like rats. However it's not too late for your kids Dave. Save them while you still can.

No way man, you fight for your kids teams lol.  Big Ben can go to hell :D

Gotta agree with zoony.  Just as an example, earlier this year when we were playing Jacksonville I compared the two teams records over the last 10 years:

Jacksonville did manage to eke out one more victory last year than the Redskins did. And, over the last 10 years they have 72 wins compared to the Redskins 67. They both have 1 playoff win over the last 10 years, but the Redskins have one more playoff appearance (3 to 2).

And that's not counting the crapfest that is this season.  Face it, we are as bad as Jacksonville, despite how you probably think the Redskins are a better team.

I'm not sure how good you are with excel, but IMO your best bet would be to get a .csv dump of all the games since 1993 from the source linked above, and import that into one Excel sheet.  This is actually the most painful part (only because you have to go season by season, i think)

EDIT: If you go to shrpsports.com and use their NFL scores search, you can actually get all this in one query and then cut and paste it into excel.  I use this website quite a bit when I get the itch to run stats. The only slightly harder part here is that you have to write some code to parse the final score in to the names of the two teams and the scores.

Once that is done, in another sheet you can write some pretty easy code to calculate records based on this.  (If I had a sheet of all the games played, I could probably do this in <10 minutes).

Next you have to manually correct for the fact that 'Phoenix' became 'Arizona' and a bunch of teams moved over the years. Also since you're looking to compare organizations over time, you might decide to combine the old Cleveland Browns with the Baltimore Ravens, and treat the new Cleveland Browns as a separate entity, even though official NFL records do not do this.

Finally you can check your work by adding the total wins and total losses since 1993:

• 1993-1994: 28 teams, so 224 games played each year
  • 1995-1998: 30 teams, so 240 games played each year
  • 1999-2001: 31 teams, so 248 games played each year
  • 2002-Present: 32 teams, so 256 games played each year

The total record of all the teams since 1993 would then be: 5224 wins and 5224 losses (count the few ties at .5 wins and .5 losses for each time) [side Note: I'm still angry at Michael Westbrook for that]

I'm assuming that:

1. You're not going to import playoff games
  2. You're not going to import games from this season

The corrections are pretty easy if you do decide to include playoffs or this season:

1. To add playoff games, you add 11 wins and 11 losses for each season, so 231 wins and 231 losses
  2. To add this season, everyone has played 12 games plus the Cowboys-Bears games tonight, so add 193 wins and 193 losses.

Archived