Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tears For Fears 30th anniversary show for "Songs from the big chair"

steveo21

I am going to have to look up Sowing the Seeds...never heard of it.

Shout, Head over Heels, and Everybody wants to rule the world... That is about it for me. I have two of those on my phone. Like I said I liked some of their stuff, but they dropped of quickly. No way it was 5 years in the US.

Songs from the Big Chair was early 85.

Seeds of Love came out in late 1989, was a top-10 selling album in the US and went platinum here.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seeds_of_Love

I definitely remember Sowing the Seeds being in VERY heavy rotation on MTV.  That was a much bigger song for them than Head Over Heels (though I personally prefer Head Over Heels).  Probably not as big as the other 2 though.

Songs from the Big Chair was early 85.

Seeds of Love came out in late 1989, was a top-10 selling album in the US and went platinum here.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seeds_of_Love

I definitely remember Sowing the Seeds being in VERY heavy rotation on MTV.  That was a much bigger song for them than Head Over Heels.  Probably not as big as the other 2 though.

Thank you for reminding me to look that up.

From your link it seems that it was 85-89. MTV might have helped sales...but they were done. They are going to promote more at that time to the latest that does not shock me.

Platinum is great, probably based off their previous album. We didn't have the ability to download a song back then. Buy the album if you love the one song or two, or love the artist.

They were a short lived okay band to me. Not overrated or anything, just good music for the time, then times changed, music changed.

Wham, the ultimate guilty pleasure band. Admit it you like that ****. Everyone does

Tears For Fears had 3 great songs. The were basically A-ha to the 3rd power

But definitely like those songs, just not sure there was much else there

I don't get this Wham thing with you guys. Maybe's it's because their lead singer became more famous, but as a group, they simply didn't have as many hits as Tears for Fears.

And who didn't think George Michael wasn't sweet when that video, "wake me up before you go go" aired"

Wham, the ultimate guilty pleasure band. Admit it you like that ****. Everyone does

I liked Wham's second album a lot more than the first. The first is pretty cheesy; the second one sounded like what George Michael's solo stuff would be.

Weird little fact: There was a touring cover band that had a guitarist who was friends with my parents. Their name was Wham. They apparently had the name copyrighted because they got a decent check from Wham! in '84 or '85 and changed their name to Jham. I remember going home in the mid 90s and seeing sings on the K of C: New Years Eve Party featuring superband Jham!

I don't get this Wham thing with you guys. Maybe's it's because their lead singer became more famous, but as a group, they simply didn't have as many hits as Tears for Fears.

And who didn't think George Michael wasn't sweet when that video, "wake me up before you go go" aired"

It wasn't until I saw an entire music video of close ups of George Michael shaking his ass in a pair of tight jeans

And even then I didn't even really know what gay was

I liked Wham's second album a lot more than the first. The first is pretty cheesy; the second one sounded like what George Michael's solo stuff would be.

Weird little fact: There was a touring cover band that had a guitarist who was friends with my parents. Their name was Wham. They apparently had the name copyrighted because they got a decent check from Wham! in '84 or '85 and changed their name to Jham. I remember going home in the mid 90s and seeing sings on the K of C: New Years Eve Party featuring superband Jham!

I would like to see the other guy from wham team up with Art Garfunkle and go on your

It could be called "**** you we were talented too"

I was born in 86 so I never really got to live the 80s, but from a very young age I was always drawn towards 80s music, mostly because of one of my older brothers had numerous cassettes and recorded a fabled VHS tape with tons of videos during VH1's music videos A-Z specials in the early-mid 90s... So, I was always into 80s music.

Depeche mode, A-ha, duran duran, and tears for fears were my big 4 and in a lot of ways still define my music tastes.  I've gone years where I pretty much only listened to handfuls of DM songs or A-ha songs over and over. Lol

(I started this message a little while ago, so it's funny to post this right after Zoony's Tears for Fears/A-ha comment) 

Of the 4, tears for fears is the one I go in and out of moods the most, mostly because of the melodramatic nature of their music.  But, when the mood strikes, the hurting has great songs, and Songs from the Big Chair usually becomes a full album listen for me, because of it's concept album nature. I will generally skip Shout and go right to The Working Hour, which, as I said, is probably melodramatic to most people's ears, but when you're in the mood, it's a great song.  Side 2 of SFTBC flows more like a medley, and definitely has drama to it, if you buy into it.

One of my largest annoyances about tears for fears has been Gary Jules making some sort of mega hit out of "mad world,"  which has become "covered" even further, but seems to be more because of the Gary Jules cover than even TFF themselves. I mean it's fine, but, the gary jules version and all subsequent versions of this song just annoy me more than your average cover, even if this one achieved it's goals better than others do.

------------------

Don't want to derail the thread into an A-ha thread, but actually, when the hell else do you get to talk about a-ha on here, lol

I totally understand the nature of being a one hit wonder, but in a band like a-ha's case, they at least are huge outside of the US and have sold ~80 million albums worldwide (thanks wikipedia)... So, if you can get past the O.H.W. dilemma that a band like A-ha puts forth, listening to their discography reveals numerous good/great songs.  Also, unlike either DM TFF or DD, A-ha actually has put out the best albums of the 4 in their later years.  Their 90s albums all have their moments, and their later albums from an "80s band" perspective, such as Lifelines (2002), Analogue (05), and Foot of the Mountain (09) all have songs actually worth listening to if you are a fan of their music.

DM's albums since Exciter have gone severely downhill in my opinion, Playing the Angel was the first where it just sounded as if they were making music which was a caricature of themselves, and has only gotten worse in the albums since.  I don't listen to any DM songs after Exciter.

DD's last "good" (loose term obviously lol) album was Astronaut from 2004, with a bunch of listenable songs, I was very surprised when I heard it the first time back then. Just like DM, their albums starting with "Pop Trash" (ironic) in 2000 really don't have much that you would ever think to include in "essential" Duran duran canon since it almost all after a certain point just sounded like regurgitated efforts of previous work.  Like DM, other than their 04 album, there are no songs I actually listen to after their Medazzaland album in 97. 

I know all these bands are incredibly successful worldwide, but I think in the US, A-ha of these 4 has the least exposure, and it's ironic to me in that I think from a consistency standpoint had the best music from start to finish.

Fat?! Good grief, man. I don't think either singer was ever fat.

Best fat band ever, Mammoth, (but only one album I think).  Intentionally went out of their way to have only big fellas.

I can imagine hearing Shout over and over in the 80s and being annoyed, but I never lived that.  That song is definitely my favorite of theirs.  I definitely have a thing for 80s music.

the thing with tears for fears is they only had a 5 or 6 year run of real commercial success, then smith left and they were never the same. 

before songs from the big chair, the hurting was big overseas. not alot of americans know it well, but there were some good songs on that album (the hurting, mad world, pale shelter, change). 

big chair had a few great songs everyone knows.

seeds of love, while i'm not huge fan of the title song, 'advice for the young at heart' and 'woman in chains' are really awesome songs, imo, but not really 'pop' songs you'd hear on the radio. 

It wasn't until I saw an entire music video of close ups of George Michael shaking his ass in a pair of tight jeans

And even then I didn't even really know what gay was

I would like to see the other guy from wham team up with Art Garfunkle and go on your

It could be called "**** you we were talented too"

Didn't the Simpsons have a supergroup called Messina, Garfunkle, Oates and Lisa?

I'm going all in with Robert Smith as far as fat lead singers go.

Didn't the Simpsons have a supergroup called Messina, Garfunkle, Oates and Lisa?

I'm going all in with Robert Smith as far as fat lead singers go.

I could never tell he was always wearing a mass if black clothes. He was more mushy than fat I think

Just remembered Frank Black. Might need to change my vote from Sublime.

I am going to have to look up Sowing the Seeds...never heard of it.

Shout, Head over Heels, and Everybody wants to rule the world... That is about it for me. I have two of those on my phone. Like I said I liked some of their stuff, but they dropped of quickly. No way it was 5 years in the US.

It was close to 5 years.  "Sowing the Seeds" came out in the summer of 89 and got a lot of air play for several months on MTV and the radio.  It debuted at #2 in the top 100 on the billboards here in the US.

Archived