Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: Colt McCoy to start Sunday vs Colts

3CardMonte

Good post. I think it was the culmination of a couple things. 

That post has a lot of speculation and personal opinion in it

I see no reason why Colt cannot run the table.

Cause the Skins aren't that good right now? We needed a last second field goal to beat the Titans who have a worse record than us.  And we ran the clock down to make it last second to deny them a chance to touch it again.  And our victory over the Cowboys was the only close loss they've suffered

That post has a lot of speculation and personal opinion in it

Of course it did, which is why the first thing I stated was "I think" in the post. Everything we post here, with the possible exception of a couple people who may have a team source, is opinion and speculation. It doesn't discount my opinion which is logical based on the news we have heard to this point. 

Cause the Skins aren't that good right now? We needed a last second field goal to beat the Titans who have a worse record than us.  And we ran the clock down to make it last second to deny them a chance to touch it again.  And our victory over the Cowboys was the only close loss they've suffered

I agree with this. Regardless of who plays QB, we aren't a threat to win more than 1 or 2 of our remaining games (and that's IF things improve across the board). 

OL OL OL.  It's gone from bad to worse with Trent out.  Remember the terrible OL that got Patrick Ramsey smashed to death?  It's the same thing with Robert, and to an extent, Kirk.  Colt may have a bit more confidence since he's been a starter longer, but geez.

We won 2 Super Bowls with the Hogs.  How soon these HCs forget.

I don't really buy the notion that the benching Griffin was done to keep from losing the locker room.

Its not like our locker room is filled with a bunch of winners. It appears one of our loudest voices on offense is an outsider with questionable locker room track record. Never mind this locker room was having a revolt/riot at half time of the Cowboys game.

But if it is true i'm troubled by making decision to appease the locker room. The HC should be able to set the tone for the locker room not react to it.

What is the HC gonna do when the voices in the locker room don't like one of his decisions?

OL OL OL.  It's gone from bad to worse with Trent out.  Remember the terrible OL that got Patrick Ramsey smashed to death?  It's the same thing with Robert, and to an extent, Kirk.  Colt may have a bit more confidence since he's been a starter longer, but geez.

I think you can say three.  I mean Starke was gone by the second so guy who played with them must count.  91 still had Jacoby and Bostic starting, Grim backing up, and everyone else had played multiple seasons with the remaining members of the original group

I don't really buy the notion that the benching Griffin was done to keep from losing the locker room.

Its not like our locker room is filled with a bunch of winners. It appears one of our loudest voices on offense is an outsider with questionable locker room track record. Never mind this locker room was having a revolt/riot at half time of the Cowboys game.

But if it is true i'm troubled by making decision to appease the locker room. The HC should be able to set the tone for the locker room not react to it.

What is the HC gonna do when the voices in the locker room don't like one of his decisions?

plus supposedly they were pissed about Colt in the first half against Dallas.  Sometimes people just have to be unhappy and everyone had a reason to be.

Where did you hear that?

it's a rumor that's been going around for a while.  I think it's as confirmed as the anti-RG3 sentiment

Meh... I bet Texas in the National Championship game he got a little nicked in and daddy came running from stands to preserve him for draft. His team coulda won.

However, I gave full pardon after MNF. But, I still can't say I'm excited. I'm pretty certain the Offense is going to do better as a whole.

Im just excited to watch a game without worrying about my QB getting hurt on every play or that my WR's will be getting pissed off because my QB cant see the field. It will be nice for a change. HAIL

OL isn't great but is no different in 2012. If anything it has slightly improved since then.

I don't think it matters if RG3 has more time or in Chip Kellys offense. He's misses easy completions, he doesn't plant & drop back properly, doesn't throw the ball away soon enough. Locks on one receiver that is covered and doesn't realize there is 3 other guys wide open. Where do you begin on developing a 3rd year QB on these issues? RG3 has had enough time on developing, even in 2013 he should have learned something. RG3 must overcome this mental block not Gruden and it's probably too late.

Its depressing to knock RG3, but the facts on the table.

With our offensive line, that's a possibility no matter who is at QB.

My point is that feeling of RG getting hurt on every play.  I feel liberated now that I don't have to worry about that. In a way that feeling was gone in RG's last few starts with QB play being so atrocious I forgot about the injury factor. 

Gotta think that RG3 was benched not just because of the last few games. Gruden did not appear happy with Griffin in the off season either.

Correction: Gruden and his brother were reportedly both high on Kirk Cousins prior to Jay getting here. Gruden was just forced fed RG3 but found a way to have him benched and along the way Colt emerged as the starter.

Just fyi, rewind to training camp. Colt did have a tremendous training camp, just as Cousins did. This year is no fluke for Colt.

Well, context matters. 

If a player is playing well and not a popular guy then I would agree with you that the coach needs to tune out the opinion and not let the inmates run the asylum. However, a QB's ability to have the team behind him and be a leader is pretty high on the job description list. So, the opinion of the team is important in that regard. 

So, if Griffin was playing at 2012 levels and guys weren't thrilled with him...oh well, they can put on their big-boy pants. But, if the guy is playing like a red shirt freshman AND has leadership/camaraderie issues...it's reason enough to make a change. The opposite is true too...I think a QB should get a little more leash if the team rallies around him. That's a pretty important quality that players either have or don't. 

My point is that feeling of RG getting hurt on every play.  I feel liberated now that I don't have to worry about that. In a way that feeling was gone in RG's last few starts with QB play being so atrocious I forgot about the injury factor. 

Well, you should always think that Colt is just 1 play away from RG3 taking the field once more so you should allay your state of relief and elation until the end of the season. We may see RG3 at least once more before he exits DC. Just saying.

I know what you mean.  I felt that way every time he got hit in the pocket.  But if anything, you should feel better about it.  He took some nasty hits and just kept getting up.  

To those saying that RG3 isn't thriving because of coaching and he to look at Sanchez and what Chip has done with him, you are kind of missing the point. You don't bring in Gibbs, Shanahan, Philbin, Belichick, Tomlin, WHOEVER and say "Run Chip's offense". You bring in those coaches to run their offense. Are there plays that can be run that play into the strengths of the players they have? Of course.

You bring in a coach to develop talent and to win games. And oh btw ALL the coaches you mentioned changed their style of offense.

Maybe Gruden hates RG3. I doubt if he thought RG3 gave him the best chance to improve his team, or if he thought he could improve him with game time he would have benched him.

Or maybe Gruden doesn't have the football acumen nor the time to build an offense that wins games AND grooms Griffin at the same time? Maybe its easier to run his offense with 2 QBs that have a foundation in the WCO and therefore require much less of the time intensive WCO 101? And maybe Gruden doesn't want to struggle through the ups and downs that come from developing a WCO QB? Maybe Gruden's wants his offense to look good right now more then he wants to develop a QB and that is a source of frustration?

Or maybe at the beginning of the season he was showing RG3 how to do a 7 step drop and RG3 said "Na, dog that ain't me, this is how I play take it or leave it, else I will get my boy Snyder to fire yo ass. I make football exciting" (whats his record btw, 12-20?). But maybe Gruden just hates him. And the Shanahan's hate him too.

Pathetic dude.

I agree. What is wrong with these coaches? Who doesn't want to develop a QB who,in the last two seasons, has been completely incapable of running an NFL offense but put up Jason Campbell quality numbers? I mean, it's almost as if they are trying to win football games instead of trying to recover a sunk cost.

The only thing that's pathetic here is the need for certain love struck fans to blame anyone and anything but the main problem, a QB whose "high ceiling" in anything but a gimmick offense turned out to be Vince Young. But no, the second coach in a row is just too lazy to mold this amazing talent into a legend.

Please.

OL isn't great but is no different in 2012. If anything it has slightly improved since then.

I don't think it matters if RG3 has more time or in Chip Kellys offense. He's misses easy completions, he doesn't plant & drop back properly, doesn't throw the ball away soon enough. Locks on one receiver that is covered and doesn't realize there is 3 other guys wide open. Where do you begin on developing a 3rd year QB on these issues? RG3 has had enough time on developing, even in 2013 he should have learned something. RG3 must overcome this mental block not Gruden and it's probably too late.

Its depressing to knock RG3, but the facts on the table.

I don't know if it's gotten better, but D's have gotten better at slowing down read option.  Plus you know RG3 has had to deal with injury recovery for both of the past two season

Pathetic dude.

why is it pathetic? he's a diva and sally reported last year he was bragging about how he had influence over the owner and the WR and linemen were pissed off about it. I don't usually buy into rumors but garcon hates him, moss would rather have cousins, djax throws tantrums at him during games, and the line is clearly better with him out of the game. he's not a leader. he's a spoiled brat. I cringe every time I see one of his pre game pep talks. he gets zero reaction from his teammates. 

also, he has shown zero improvement since he hurt his knee against the ravens. I really wonder if kyle thought it was in his best interest for his future job prospects to not develop his QB into a winner. or if it's in grudens.

I mean seriously...outside of his rookie year, what has he done? everyone keeps saying "gruden is shelving the DAMN ROOKIE OF THE YEAR AND THE MAN WHO LED US TO A EAST CHAMPIONSHIP!11". no, he's shelving a petulant child who isn't improving his play and is being outplayed by a journeyman the 49ers let go and replaced with blaine gabbert.

So I saw nothing of the '9ers game. I had an overnight in London before an early flight to Sofia where I've spent most of the past week. (Ironically following a bigger yet equally dysfunctional sporting franchise than our Redskins. Masochist that I am.). And as such I'm just now catching up on all things B&G.

I honestly don't understand the logic of this at all. No question Robert's been criminally bad. But have we totally washed our hands of him before year 3's over? After all we paid? And let's face it, there's more likelihood of Charlize Theron and Jessica Alba rocking my bed tonight than Colt McCoy starting here next year. (Hang on, lost in a vision. Give me a few ...... ) .....

So in a completely dead season, with only one guy, however poor his play has been, having even a remote chance to lead this ball club next year, just WHY would you not want him to play out the year, support and work with him, and allow you to fully decide whether you want to pick up the option on your highly expensive asset?

Unless you've decided already which is a very sad state of affairs for each and everyone of us wherever you come down on this and is sadly to our detriment when there's little to nothing to play for anyways.

I don't get this one at all.

Hail.

why is it pathetic? he's a diva and sally reported last year he was bragging about how he had influence over the owner and the WR and linemen were pissed off about it. I don't usually buy into rumors but garcon hates him, moss would rather have cousins, djax throws tantrums at him during games, and the line is clearly better with him out of the game. he's not a leader. he's a spoiled brat. I cringe every time I see one of his pre game pep talks. he gets zero reaction from his teammates. 

also, he has shown zero improvement since he hurt his knee against the ravens. I really wonder if kyle thought it was in his best interest for his future job prospects to not develop his QB into a winner. or if it's in grudens.

I mean seriously...outside of his rookie year, what has he done? everyone keeps saying "gruden is shelving the DAMN ROOKIE OF THE YEAR AND THE MAN WHO LED US TO A EAST CHAMPIONSHIP!11". no, he's shelving a petulant child who isn't improving his play and is being outplayed by a journeyman the 49ers let go and replaced with blaine gabbert.

I wish more here felt like this, it describes my feelings 100%.

I don't believe he's a diva. And outside of his rookie year he's played 17 games.  One more than a season.  His rookie year was practically yesterday

Archived