Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

And, like I said earlier with the overarching point, I never said RG3 was a bad decision maker I just don't see him able to handle more complicated plays and reads consistently, and I only say yet, not never, that's all. I know RG3 is still in a growth phase.  

The key word there is "yet"...and that word applies to both Griffin and Cousins in my opinion (not saying you said otherwise, by the way lol). In several of my earlier posts I brought up that both QBs will be entering their prime 4 years from now...why anyone, anywhere would claim that whatever we've seen up til now will be who they are 4 years from now, I have no idea. We have no reason to take that stance now outside of trying to prop up one QB over the other.

And by the way, I want to say publicly that if I came off as a bit too defensive in my responses to you, I apologize. It's just that there's been sooooooo many damn posts that make the unsupported claims that Cousins did/is doing things Griffin has never done before that it starts to build up the irritation levels. (and no, people...I'm NOT saying Griffin can do everything Cousins can do lol). I took your first posts as basically being one of "Well, sure, Griffin can make the fade pass that any high school QB can make...but can he make the throw in 2.3 seconds while fading backwards with the sun in his eyes and the WR cramping up in mid-route on a Tuesday? Because Cousins can. So there."

My point is that you cannot compare the two because IF the Skins were to move on, I'm sure it would have more to do with RG3's injury history than his play unlike Favre. 

Uhm YOU brought up Farve injury history NOT me or the lack thereof. My statement was REGARDLESS of WHY they let Farve go, they regret it. PERIOD! Whether it was for his play, injury etc etc it doesn't matter. They lived to regret it. So it is the same if the Skins let RG3 go for WHATEVER reason! I HOPE they don't live to regret it. because of a potential  flash in the pan QB!

I'm NOT saying the Cousins IS a flash in the pan. I'm saying I'm going to wait and see.

My point is that you cannot compare the two because IF the Skins were to move on, I'm sure it would have more to do with RG3's injury history than his play unlike Favre. 

I would agree with this, but on this thread it seems the prevailing thought is that the team should move on from RG3 because he's just not good enough, his "potential" is an urban myth, and that they should go with whoever is further along in their development as a pocket passer right now. However, since it appears Griffin will indeed be coming back healthy this season, I think that if he does end up playing games and looks good doing so, the injury aspect shouldn't weight too heavily in the minds of Allen and Gruden.

Uhm YOU brought up Farve injury history NOT me or the lack thereof. My statement was REGARDLESS of WHY they let Farve go, they regret it. PERIOD! Whether it was for his play, injury etc etc it doesn't matter. They lived to regret it. So it is the same if the Skins let RG3 go for WHATEVER reason! I HOPE they don't live to regret it!

smh...nevermind dude.

I would agree with this, but on this thread it seems the prevailing thought is that the team should move on from RG3 because he's just not good enough, his "potential" is an urban myth, and that they should go with whoever is further along in their development as a pocket passer right now. However, since it appears Griffin will indeed be coming back healthy this season, I think that if he does end up playing games and looks good doing so, the injury aspect shouldn't weight too heavily in the minds of Allen and Gruden.

Please explain my point to Red06 now lol

Bingo. THANK YOU Califan007. That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. And The Redskins will live to regret it just as ATL did with Farve if we did something stupid like that.

smh...nevermind dude.

Please explain my point to Red06 now lol

He doesn't have to explain ANYTHING to me! You made your own conclusion about my statement NOT me. Califan007 hit the nail on the head as to why I said it in the first place. There are many on here that want to trade RG3 NOW based on a few good performances by Cousins. NOT saying YOU because I know YOU have said otherwise.

That's why I didn't understand why you responded to my post.

I think a lot of the crap (fanboy, hater, etc) that's gone on in this thread, and on ES in general since Robert's ankle injury, has started not because people are haters or fanboys, but because we're all ****ting bricks right now out of fear. We all want to win, and we've watched the guy we put all our hopes in get hurt. Twice. It's not Robert's fault. We can't blame him for a freak ankle injury, and we shouldn't be blaming each other on here either or stooping to the level of an 8 year old calling each other names.

We're all fans of the same damn team! We really need to just let this whole QB thing play out, support both of them in the meantime, and lay off the juvenile bull**** that's been going on since he got hurt.

He doesn't have to explain ANYTHING to me! You made your own conclusion about my statement NOT me. Califan007 hit the nail on the head as to why I said it in the first place. There are many on here that want to trade RG3 NOW based on a few good performances by Cousins. NOT saying YOU because I know YOU have said otherwise.

That's why I didn't understand why you responded to my post.

Fine

231009.jpg

Uhm YOU brought up Farve injury history NOT me or the lack thereof. My statement was REGARDLESS of WHY they let Farve go, they regret it. PERIOD! Whether it was for his play, injury etc etc it doesn't matter. They lived to regret it. So it is the same if the Skins let RG3 go for WHATEVER reason! I HOPE they don't live to regret it. because of a potential  flash in the pan QB!

I'm NOT saying the Cousins IS a flash in the pan. I'm saying I'm going to wait and see.

Is there any chance RG3 is a flash in the pan?

Regardless of how you feel about the situation, I think everyone has to agree that tomorrow is a huge game as far as determining Kirk's future as starter.

Lose that game, our season is lost, and Robert is going to get the reps to prove what he is/isn't when healthy.

Then we'll have our QB competition next off season

Is there any chance RG3 is a flash in the pan?

Based his performance thus far through injury and 2012.....NO! He has still only lost 4 games less than he's won. But his body of work is something you can at least hang your hat on a give it a shot and see if something is still there post injury! BUT, him getting injured is a BIG concern more so than can he play........

That's a routine play that Rodgers, romoSUCKS, etc. make every week that Cousins made in his 3rd game, and I don't think Griffin has ever made.  Griffin waits too long to release his passes, which is why he misses opportunities like this.

Yeah... this is what I was talking about. I can assure you that every NFL QB has thrown a comeback under pressure before.

Regardless of how you feel about the situation, I think everyone has to agree that tomorrow is a huge game as far as determining Kirk's future as starter.

Lose that game, our season is lost, and Robert is going to get the reps to prove what he is/isn't when healthy.

Then we'll have our QB competition next off season

For me it's the Cardinals and Seahawks game. They have 2 really good defenses and Dlines that will test Kirk. The Giants are bums so far. Cousins should be able to handle the Giants game. I HOPE! LOL

Based his performance thus far through injury and 2012.....NO! He has still only lost 4 games less than he's won. But his body of work is something you can at least hang your hat on a give it a shot and see if something is still there post injury!

Haha. Ok NO chance. I think redskins fans had so much fun in 2012 that we have a hard time admitting it might have just been a lucky run. We only beat 3 winning teams that year (Min, Bal, NYG.)

Haha. Ok NO chance. I think redskins fans had so much fun in 2012 that we have a hard time admitting it might have just been a lucky run. We only beat 3 winning teams that year (Min, Bal, NYG.)

I'm saying NO only because he didn't have as bad of a year (2013) as people think. The problem was, he played SO GREAT in 2012, that he became that man with the cape! So the bar was set VERY high coming off a major injury and still pass for over 3200yds I think 16TD's and 12INT I think and only played 13 games??? With a horrible defense and special teams?

The WHOLE team was bad including RG3 compared to what he did in 2012. That's why I agree with Brandymac......see what we have in him before we just write him off. Remember how he started the Jags game? Although the Jags suck.......he looked like RG3 2012 for a minute until he had the ankle injury. And he still threw a laser on a seperated ankle. So I don't know......

But we did beat more than 3 winning teams that year. Dallas would be the 4th....IJS. We played them at home for the division title the last game of the season. I can't remember what the Saints record was. But it didn't matter because we played them IN the Superdome the 1st game of the season and was predicted to get beat. We won 45-42 in a shoot out. So........who knew what anyone record would be at that point.

Interesting article on NFL.com which was mentioned earlier but I think the conclusion sums up the argument raging in this thread.

"As we pointed out on Sunday night's edition of the Around The League Podcast, NFL coaches are obsessed with controlling as many outcomes as possible. The last thing they want is a rogue quarterback going off script. Cousins is better suited to Gruden's offense. He will follow the script to a tee whereas the beauty of RGIII's game is in the freelancing. Even if a more dynamic Griffin was truly progressing prior to his ankle injury, Gruden realizes that winning games is the NFL trump card."

Cousins needs to start winning games. If he does it may be impossible to put Griffin back in.

For me it's the Cardinals and Seahawks game. They have 2 really good defenses and Dlines that will test Kirk. The Giants are bums so far. Cousins should be able to handle the Giants game. I HOPE! LOL

Yeah thats my point. We SHOULD win the Giants game, at home, against a division rival, to avoid 1-3 (0-2 in the division). If we lose that game I think you need to give Robert another shot when hes healthy. It also most likely means we have a losing record by the time Robert comes back.

The Seahawks should be a good barometer to see who Kirk really is as a QB. They are also probably the best team in the NFC, so if we're going to be contenders Kirk should be able to play with them.

Yeah thats my point. We SHOULD win the Giants game, at home, against a division rival, to avoid 1-3 (0-2 in the division). If we lose that game I think you need to give Robert another shot when hes healthy. It also most likely means we have a losing record by the time Robert comes back.

The Seahawks should be a good barometer to see who Kirk really is as a QB. They are also probably the best team in the NFC, so if we're going to be contenders Kirk should be able to play with them.

I certainly agree with EVERYTHING you've stated here. At least in the Seahawks game we're playing at home. So hopefully that helps. But the Cardinals are no cake walk either. And we go there and play.

Interesting article on NFL.com which was mentioned earlier but I think the conclusion sums up the argument raging in this thread.

"As we pointed out on Sunday night's edition of the Around The League Podcast, NFL coaches are obsessed with controlling as many outcomes as possible. The last thing they want is a rogue quarterback going off script. Cousins is better suited to Gruden's offense. He will follow the script to a tee whereas the beauty of RGIII's game is in the freelancing. Even if a more dynamic Griffin was truly progressing prior to his ankle injury, Gruden realizes that winning games is the NFL trump card."

Cousins needs to start winning games. If he does it may be impossible to put Griffin back in.

I tell you, RG3 is now a "Rogue QB" going off script? LOLOLOL.......These reporters LOVE The Redskins. As long as RG3 and Cousins are on this team together, they will ALWAYS have something (whether it's BS or not) to write about.

Get healthy RG3. Play great Kirk. Settle it on the field. May the best QB win. That's ALL I can say at this point.

I guess the funny thing is, how do they know what's better suited for Grudens offense? Grudens offense has NEVER had a QB like RG3 running it. So how do ANYONE know what's better suited for it? They thought Matt Flynn was better suited for Seattles offense too. You think they're saying that now???? LOLOLOL.........

I can dig it. This is Cousins shot. The only way I give him a break is if he plays lights out and another phase of the game which I don't even need to mention loses it for us.

I'm saying NO only because he didn't have as bad of a year (2013) as people think. The problem was, he played SO GREAT in 2012, that he became that man with the cape! So the bar was set VERY high coming off a major injury and still pass for over 3200yds I think 16TD's and 12INT I think and only played 13 games??? With a horrible defense and special teams?

The WHOLE team was bad including RG3 compared to what he did in 2012. That's why I agree with Brandymac......see what we have in him before we just write him off. Remember how he started the Jags game? Although the Jags suck.......he looked like RG3 2012 for a minute until he had the ankle injury. And he still threw a laser on a seperated ankle. So I don't know......

But we did beat more than 3 winning teams that year. Dallas would be the 4th....IJS. We played them at home for the division title the last game of the season. I can't remember what the Saints record was. But it didn't matter because we played them IN the Superdome the 1st game of the season and was predicted to get beat. We won 45-42 in a shoot out. So........who knew what anyone record would be at that point.

Nah Dallas were 8-8. Saints were 7-9 I believe.

Archived