Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NewsNerd.com: Allen Iverson Seen Begging for Change Outside Atlanta’s Lenox Mall

Big Weirdo

To my thinking you can't be an acknowledged great player and be over rated...

Overrated doesn't mean bad it means overrated, it means thought of higher than they actually were.  So a player who everyone thinks is a 10/10 who was really a 9.5 out of 10 could be considered overrated and still a great player.

In the same vein, you can be thought of as great and still be underrated.

Overrated doesn't mean bad it means overrated, it means thought of higher than they actually were.  So a player who everyone thinks is a 10/10 who was really a 9.5 out of 10 could be considered overrated and still a great player.

In the same vein, you can be thought of as great and still be underrated.

Come on. Seriously.. If Michael Jordan, Alan Iverson, Bill Russel, and Pete Rose are "over rated"...

Then "overrated" can be applied to anybody. It's a meaningless term used by hatters. I mean if you call a guy overrated who was the undisputed leader of 11 championship teams in a 12 year career, 5x league MVP's, literally changed the game of Basketball because he was so awesome then your usage is really meaningless. If the man with the best sports career in the history of sports can be reffered to as over rated; then who in the heck CANNOT be called overrated... and seriously if it can be applied to anybody.. then the turn over rated is meaningless.

What's really going on is so many folks consider some of these guys great, or even greatest of all time.. For whatever reason you disagree, but you can't budge supporters... because your argument is lacking... so you try to asterix the players name. Bill Russel indeed.. overrated.....It's the sour grapes of a flawed poorly supported argument which failed to persuade.

There are definitely overrated players in the NBA.. To include the acknowledge and agreed upon, all time greats in that language is just asinine.

I don't think Allan Iverson was one of the handful of greatest of all time.. I think he was a great player, an undisputed HoF player, and I think for a time he was the best player in the game... hence his multiple scoring titles and MVP award... He had a great career hallmarked by his hard play and over achieving for his size.

Bill Russel, simple had the greatest impact, greatest career, most success of any leader of any team in the history of sports. much less the NBA... To call him overrated is a crime against reason and intellect..

I think someone mentioned it earlier: Dominique Wilkins is the poster child of an overrated player.

Dominique Wilkins was a human highlight reel... He didn't play defense but if that's your criteria for calling him over rated then you've got to drop Wilt Chamberlain in the same bucket.. cause he didn't play defense either... Wilkins get's a bum wrap because (1) he was a contemporary of Bird and Magic who eclipsed him every year for MVP and playoff success.. (2) He played beyond his prime when he was a shadow of his former self, which seriously degraded his career stats and his name.

Come on. Seriously.. If Michael Jordan, Alan Iverson, Bill Russel, and Pete Rose are "over rated"...

Then "over rated" means whatever you want it to be. I mean if a guy who was captain of his team, player coach for his team, undisputed leader of his team, with 5 league MVP's, literally changed the game of Basketball and oh yeah... won 11 championships in 12 years can be "over rated"... Then your usage is really meaningless.

Yeah, you've said that many times.   Can we agree to disagree?

Yeah, you've said that many times.   Can we agree to disagree?

Yeah, I'm replying to folks who replied to me.

OVERRATED - A word which recently has been used liberally as a way of discrediting something without having to give a proper justification, most often when someone finds they have a disliking for a popular phenomenom and is resentful of those who embrace it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Overrated

Kind of a coverall term for people who don't have an actual point.. Not your typical MO, but that's basically what the term is used for.

Couldn't let it go, eh?   Congrats, you got the last word in.   You win the internet.  

I never understand people who say something like "now you have the last word"..

Cause when they say that, they are actually trying to get the last word.

Archived