Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I’m listening to the radio since I’m still at work and Knoche says he just can’t put his finger on why the team played so poorly. Walt says what we all know that Nebraska came out with a great game plan and they executed and MD didn’t. Walt didn’t call out Turgeon but I think he can see what everyone else can. Which is what a bad coach Turgeon is. Maybe Knoche can’t or doesn’t want to see it. Someone in the athletic department needs to see it though. So much talent is being wasted by this guy.

• Like 1

I'm not excusing Turgeon, he gets blame for not getting his team ready and motivated. But he wasn't the one missing shots. Guys missed easy ones. Fernando turned the ball over multiple times. Got outmuscled for rebounds. Got beat off the dribble with ease. It was a pathetic performance. 

The technical foul was inexcusable. I'm starting to think a change would be beneficial for this program. 

One last thing, if Jalen Smith leaves after this year he is absolutely making the wrong move. He gets bullied in the lane like he is a twig. He misses easy shots. He isn't ready. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

I'm not excusing Turgeon, he gets blame for not getting his team ready and motivated. But he wasn't the one missing shots. Guys missed easy ones. Fernando turned the ball over multiple times. Got outmuscled for rebounds. Got beat off the dribble with ease. It was a pathetic performance. 

The technical foul was inexcusable. I'm starting to think a change would be beneficial for this program. 

One last thing, if Jalen Smith leaves after this year he is absolutely making the wrong move. He gets bullied in the lane like he is a twig. He misses easy shots. He isn't ready. 

Here's the thing though. His teams always play like that in a big game. They never have a game plan and are always outplayed, outworked, and outcoached in big games. How does Turgeon not have a plan for Bruno being double teamed? He just expects him to know what to do and today it showed he didn't know what to do. He's never been this bad with the double team, but that may be because Nebraska had a plan for it. If it was just a case of the players missing shots, turning it over, and having A bad game, not much you can do as a coach. But this happens all to often and normally whenever they play a good team or are in a post season game.  

The other thing, if the players aren't listening to him and just doing their own thing, then he needs to go as well because he lost the team. 

This team has too much talent and he doesn't get the most out of it. That's his job as a coach. To get the most out of his team and to put them in a position to succeed. He doesn't do that and you see how very few players actually get better under him. I think the word is out on him as we heard rumors that people told Jalen Smith not to come to MD because he wouldn't develop under Turgeon. Again, those are rumors but would not be far fetched if that were true. 

I completely agree with you on the mistake Smith will be making by going pro. He has a lot of talent, but still needs some work. I just wonder if Turgeon can be the one to develop him or if in 2 years we see he's the same guy he is as a freshman. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I'm not sure I want them too.

Need get Turge outta here.

Yeah, I think they can win their first game because they will play a team they should beat. They have a good shot at losing that first one, but they usually beat teams they should. The second round will probably be a good team, which is where they lose. But I’m all for them losing the first game if it means Turgeon will be gone. 

• Thanks 1

On the fence here. As my team, I want them to advance as far as they can. I want it for Bruno (whose next loss will be his last game as a Terp), and all the other young men who have given bucket loads of sweat to make this an entertaining season. 

On on the other hand, I believe Maryland deserves a better coach than Mark Turgeon, and a top guy coming in next year would have a lot of nice pieces to work with...provided everyone stays. 

Hard to say which I want more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Who would Maryland get as a replacement? 

That's a good question. Do you look for a coach at a smaller program who gets the most out of his guys? Do you look at the top programs and tap an assistant coach?

I don't think either will happen even if they lose the next game. They owe him 3 more years of salary. They'll look at the incoming class and say you change now.

Nice guy, great recruiter. That's about it. Right?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

They owe him 3 more years of salary.

>> Does UMD have that kind of money to throw away?  Did they ever reinstate all those sports that were dropped a few years ago?  The naming rights are not available for sale for a couple more years, right?

2 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

>> Does UMD have that kind of money to throw away?  Did they ever reinstate all those sports that were dropped a few years ago?  The naming rights are not available for sale for a couple more years, right?

I suspect this will be the hold up. I believe there is no buyout and they will owe him to total amount left in his contract. Kevin Anderson’s contracts are the gifts that keeps on giving. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

I think after the Durkin thing and the money involved. It's a big reason why they wouldn't make a move. But I could see them doing it with him having 1 more season left instead of extending again.