Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On 2/4/2017 at 0:13 PM, Fight4RGIII said:

Tired of Bender missing easy shots

I'm tired of watching Melo drive to the basket and throw up some **** looking to get a call, with two guys standing wide open behind the arc.

I'm also tired of watching missed free throws.

Edited by Long n Left

Had to listen to this one on the radio last night as I was dropping my mother off at BWI.  What a depressing broadcast.  Johnny and Chris sounded rather depressed, referring to it as by far their worst performance this season.  I expected the freshman to hit a lull at some point, but it sounds deeper than that.  It seems as if teams have adjusted to what Turg was trying to do and the plan to just give Melo the ball and let him take it to the hoop expecting a foul at the end of games is not working out very well.

Today is a MUST win for the Terps if they are to get to where they want to be in NCAA seeding. Next two games at both N'western and Wisconsin will be very difficult.

I think they need 4 wins in their last 6 to get a top 6 seed. Hopefully Turgeon can tweak the offensive sets to get more ball movement, less dribbling, and guys (Melo) can start hitting shots. More Cekovsky please!

Thanks big time to the announcers today, taking up the cause of Lefty.

For those who remember him, there is NO discussion as to whether he belongs in the College Basketball Hall of Fame (and IMHO, in the overall basketball HOF).

Lefty was a fantastic coach who used his southern charm and accent to his advantage any time he could.  Was a great coach and person who was very instrumental for the ACC as far as racial integration (just ask Moses Malone, who would have made that team so ridiculously great if he didn't go pro out of HS).  Unfortunately, the UMd administration hung him out to dry following the Len Bias death.  That, plus the fact that UMd was always the "unwanted step-child who came good" in the Carolina dominated ACC, is the awful reason he isn't given the entire and proper respect he deserves.  He led a University to the top of the mountain, when ALL was against him and the school due to the biased ACC.

Oh, and nice to see the win today.  How about  they learn to make some baskets from the 8 minute to the 2 minute in the second half and stop giving me gesphlicus!!!

Edited by btfoom
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, btfoom said:

Thanks big time to the announcers today, taking up the cause of Lefty.

For those who remember him, there is NO discussion as to whether he belongs in the College Basketball Hall of Fame (and IMHO, in the overall basketball HOF).

Lefty was a fantastic coach who used his southern charm and accent to his advantage any time he could.  Was a great coach and person who was very instrumental for the ACC as far as racial integration (just ask Moses Malone, who would have made that team so ridiculously great if he didn't go pro out of HS).  Unfortunately, the UMd administration hung him out to dry following the Len Bias death.  That, plus the fact that UMd was always the "unwanted step-child who came good" in the Carolina dominated ACC, is the awful reason he isn't given the entire and proper respect he deserves.  He led a University to the top of the mountain, when ALL was against him and the school due to the biased ACC.

Oh, and nice to see the win today.  How about  they learn to make some baskets from the 8 minute to the 2 minute in the second half and stop giving me gesphicus!!!

So right on here BT. The fact that he is not is ludicrous. He never won a Natty, but is one of the all-time winningest coaches in the NCAA, and lest anyone think he was just a great recruiter, he subsequently took James Madison and Georgia St. to the NCAA's. He could coach!

His 73-74 team changed the landscape of college basketball by losing the ACC championship, and ONLY NCAA bid at the time, to eventual National Champs NC State in one of the greatest (#1 IMO) college basketball games ever played. Most of us old guys will tell you that they were clearly the second or third best team in the nation that year, and rolled to the NIT title. Another Terps/Wolfpack game for it all that year could have been epic, and Lefty's Natty. Next year, they change the rule, and begin allowing "at-large" bids to the NCAA.

Many also don't remember that prior to Maryland, Lefty coached at a small private school on the outskirts of Charlotte, just a few minutes up the road from me, and turned them into a top 10 ranked national power. Just like at Maryland, which was considered a "football" school before Lefty's arrival, he turned that little NC college into a basketball factory. Davidson continues the tradition today of being one of the top mid-major basketball programs, year in and year out.

As for yesterday's game, this team is just fun to watch. Again, Melo was a letdown, and Jackson had one of his worst games yet. But, Cowan, who had struggled lately, came through, and Huerter just keeps playing solid ball, both ends of the floor. He has been player of the year for me, as he has been their most consistent contributor throughout the season. Also, he has a knack for the big play late. LOVE this kid's game.

Shout out to Cekovsky and Dodd for being monsters in the middle in their limited stints. I just wish Dodd would concern himself a bit more with defensive rebounding than blocking shots. He is a beast on the offensive glass, but goes for the block so often, he gets himself out of position on the D glass. And, is their a coach there that can keep Cheka from putting the ball on the floor in close? 

Good win, but this Melo dominated offense late is driving me nuts, and will ultimately be their undoing. I know it's dead horse time, but I think Melo is the most overrated player in college basketball. I will be shocked if he even gets drafted into the NBA. If I'm a league GM, I don't touch him. 6'2" guys who aren't great shooters, and don't have superior quicks and/or hops, don't play in the league. As I've stated before, I think this team will be better next year without him.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 7:43 AM, Long n Left said:

Good win, but this Melo dominated offense late is driving me nuts, and will ultimately be their undoing. I know it's dead horse time, but I think Melo is the most overrated player in college basketball. I will be shocked if he even gets drafted into the NBA. If I'm a league GM, I don't touch him. 6'2" guys who aren't great shooters, and don't have superior quicks and/or hops, don't play in the league. As I've stated before, I think this team will be better next year without him.

I agree that Melo is not a great shooter and doesnt have superior hops ... but he is not the most overrated player in college and we will not be better without him next year. Thats a dramatic over statement imo. Its frustrating to watch Melo drive to the basket looking for calls but this offense has stagnant stretches. On Sat the team played well when Melo was out but watch the ball movement when he is not in there. He almost single handily won us the Purdue game bc no one else was doing anything. Melo is not an NBA player and not the same Melo from his freshman season but he is a top 5 all time player for this school and should be embraced.  

This team is 15-9 or so without Melo. His game has obvious flaws but he puts it on the line for us every game and he brought this program back up. 4 years ago, people wanted Turgeon fired and seth allen/faust transferred out after a few years of stooglin ball and things look like they were getting dark. 

The Melo bashing is absolute nonsense imo. Everyone can see Melo has holes in his game, he is not a perfect player, he is not an NBA player ... bur he is one of the best players to put on a Terps uni, ever. Respect that dont hate it. 

5 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

The Melo bashing is absolute nonsense imo. Everyone can see Melo has holes in his game, he is not a perfect player, he is not an NBA player ... bur he is one of the best players to put on a Terps uni, ever. Respect that dont hate it. 

Actually, I'm more bashing Turgeon for his constant "give it to Melo and let him go" offense during crunch time. If you've got Jackson, Huerter, Cowan, and Cekovsky on the floor at the same time, you've got 4 other scoring options. IMO, a more motion based passing set would tend to get somebody a good look more often than all 4 standing around waiting for Melo to create. There should at least be other options.

As for Melo, and his ranking all-time... I came up with 20, easy, off the top of my head, and if I went back and researched more, I think I'd lean closer to Ham's assessment. 

Just because I am critical of someone does not mean that I don't have respect for them, but I tire of the announcers continually trumpeting Melo, and his "Wooden watch" status, when I see him constantly miss shots, make poor decisions with the ball, and play lazy defense. I stand by my contention that he is, possibly, the most overrated player in college ball this year.

The three freshman are the reason that this team is so fun to watch this year. The future's so bright...

...cue Timbuk Three

Edited by Long n Left

18 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Actually, I'm more bashing Turgeon for his constant "give it to Melo and let him go" offense during crunch time. If you've got Jackson, Huerter, Cowan, and Cekovsky on the floor at the same time, you've got 4 other scoring options. IMO, a more motion based passing set would tend to get somebody a good look more often than all 4 standing around waiting for Melo to create. There should at least be other options.

The problem is that we go through stretches where no one is moving, no one is making a basket and we seem to dribble the clock down and force a 3. If Cowan can build off the OSU game and start to play well again for 40 mins, all this is moot and Melo can go back to coming off the ball like he was doing at the beginning of the season. That is the best case scenario for this team. But Cowan has been very inconsistent lately. 

If Cowan continues to struggle running the offense, watch the movement when Melo is not in there. If Cowan is struggling this offense stalls and guys stand around then we are forced to play the high pick n roll w Melo. 

I think you are greatly under estimating what Melo does for this team. Yes, he misses 3s and yes he dribbles into traffic and traps and turns the ball over ... but he does a lot of things to keep this team winning. We are probably at 15 wins right now without him. 

On 2/13/2017 at 10:36 AM, Kosher Ham said:

One of the best Terps ever ? 

That is also a stretch...unless you are going top 40 or so. 

19 hours ago, Long n Left said:

As for Melo, and his ranking all-time... I came up with 20, easy, off the top of my head, and if I went back and researched more, I think I'd lean closer to Ham's assessment. 

imma need names

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Bias, Dixon, Vasquez, Smith, Lucas, Elmore, McMillan, Blake, King, Walt, Buck, Francis, Wilcox, Baxter, Manning, Shue...

That is 16 off the top. 

I am sure he is in the top 40 somewhere...but he isn't cracking the top 10. 

Just off your list, Melo was a more important player for this program than Wilcox.

the fact that you stopped at 16 means you probably can't name 40. Stop the hyperbole.

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Just off your list, Melo was a more important player for this program than Wilcox.

the fact that you stopped at 16 means you probably can't name 40. Stop the hyperbole.

Bull****. 

Wilcox was a better team player, contributor and teammate.

I stopped at 16 because the point was already proven.  Stop trying to be obtuse...it has never worked for you on any topic. 

16 was without putting any thought into a list. I said if we made a list of top 40 ( or something like that). 

Edited by Kosher Ham