Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sun-Sentinel: Boy's Bible-reading at Broward school causes stir

Zguy28

Boy's Bible-reading at Broward school causes stir

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-05-05/news/fl-bible-in-broward-school-20140505_1_bible-reading-bible-reading-broward-county-school

When Gio Rubeo grows up, he  plans to join the Marines and perhaps later take up boxing. But for now, the 12-year-old is involved in a different sort of fight.

On April 8, Gio brought his Bible to Park Lakes Elementary School in Lauderdale Lakes for the 90-minute free-reading period. He had already brought it to free reading throughout February and March, and just as often, his fifth grade teacher, Swornia Thomas, had instructed him to put it away.

But this time, when she told him to stow the Good Book, Rubeo asked Mrs. Thomas to call his dad. That has led to the Rubeos demanding an apology for violating Gio's civil rights. The Broward County School district maintains Gio read his Bible when he was supposed to be doing schoolwork. But it can't explain why Thomas left a voicemail to Gio's father in which she stated, "I noticed that he has a book – a religious book – in the classroom. He's not permitted to read those books in my classroom."

Full article at link.

You can listen to the audio message here: http://www.libertyinstitute.org/file/Mrs-Thomas---Voice-Messagev2.mp3

I've said in other contexts, that I often suspect that a lot more damage is done by bureaucrats who think they're trying to avoid lawsuits, than by lawsuits themselves.

At first glance, (and I'm certainly aware that cases like this are often staged affairs, with a whole lot of things intentionally hidden from the initial reports), this sure looks like the school (or at least the teacher) is in the wrong.

Hmm. Sounds like the issue isn't the bible but the student's failure to do what he was supposed to be doing during class time.

The district said notice has already been given but insists the Bible reading in question took place when the kids were supposed to be reading from a specific list of books.

"It's an accelerated reading program," said spokesperson Cathy Brennan. "During that program, students may choose books from an area and depending on the difficulty level of the book, students earn points."

Two sides to every story.

I understand Christians feel persecuted these days (which is a silly way for a majority group to feel in my opinion), but let's not make a mountain out of a molehill here.

Hmm. Sounds like the issue isn't the bible but the student's failure to do what he was supposed to be doing during class time.

Two sides to every story.

I understand Christians feel persecuted these days (which is a silly way for a majority group to feel in my opinion), but let's not make a mountain out if a molehill here.

Very true. Which is why I didn't post the first link I saw on this, which was opinion from Foxnews. It painted this as if it happens everywhere, which it does not.

The point that nobody involved seems to be able or willing to address is the content of the teacher's voicemail.

Wow lots of outrage about this on the interwebs.

Do you expect anything less today, in this culture of outrage? :)

"He is not permitted to read those books in my classroom"

Lots is sources say he was not allowed to bring it. A more charitable interpretation would assume she is taking about reading during classroom activities.

She didn't say he couldn't have his bible in school, just not in class. I still don't think this is such a big deal.

Dad probably listens to extremist "Christian" radio, feels like the country is at war with Christianity, mad the schools are teaching Darwin, etc.

She didn't say he couldn't have his bible in school, just not in class. I still don't think this is such a big deal.

Dad probably listens to extremist "Christian" radio, feels like the country is at war with Christianity, mad the schools are teaching Darwin, etc.

That's quite the prejudiced view you have there. Its a little disappointing after the Cornell West thread.

That's quite the prejudiced view you have there. Its a little disappointing after the Cornell West thread.

That's fair. I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

I do find the Christian Right bothersome, but I needn't be so mean about it, and I certainly shouldn't be assuming things about people.

That's fair. I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

I do find the Christian Right bothersome, but I needn't be so mean about it, and I certainly shouldn't be assuming things about people.

Its ok. I have some similar cynicism towards the "Christian Right" myself at times. The younger generation of Evangelicals is not the same as the Moral Majority though. I was just reading about that last night.

How common is it for 12 year olds to enjoy reading the bible?

I have three kids at 13, 10, 8 (boy, girl, boy) and the 10 & 8 year old enjoy it, although the youngest struggles with reading in general. My 13 year old is more into sports than reading anything. Every kid is different.

I have three kids at 13, 10, 8 (boy, girl, boy) and the 10 & 8 year old enjoy it, although the youngest struggles with reading in general. My 13 year old is more into sports than reading anything. Every kid is different.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I am surprised that kids read it because I didn't think the bible was much of a page turner. I thought kids are typically exposed to the stories, interpretations, kids editions, etc., not the actual text.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I am surprised that kids read it because I didn't think the bible was much of a page turner. I thought kids are typically exposed to the stories, interpretations, kids editions, etc., not the actual text.

You're welcome, thanks for asking. :) It depends on which part you are reading and how you are looking at the passage. For instance, when I use to read Leviticus, I found it dreadfully boring, but I learned to read it as it relates to Jesus and what he did as recorded in the gospels. It opened up a whole new meaning.

Regarding the text, we do both. I read to them a passage most nights after dinner from the gospels or Acts, and then answer any questions they have. They also read it themselves as part of their school work during the day. We also read from a kids version called The Jesus Storybook Bible.

You're welcome, thanks for asking. :) It depends on which part you are reading and how you are looking at the passage. For instance, when I use to read Leviticus, I found it dreadfully boring, but I learned to read it as it relates to Jesus and what he did as recorded in the gospels. It opened up a whole new meaning.

Regarding the text, we do both. I read to them a passage most nights after dinner from the gospels or Acts, and then answer any questions they have. They also read it themselves as part of their school work during the day. We also read from a kids version called The Jesus Storybook Bible.

years ago, i did a weekly bible study with a seventh day adventist for about a year. now, i dont agree with alot of what they believe, but the dude know his old testament better than any christian i ever knew. 

it really opened up the OT and made it really interesting, as, like you say, he related everything to the new testament. 

the guy had an incredible interpretation of daniel and the seventy sevens and how it lines up with jesus ministry, crucifixion and the scattering of the apostles in acts to gentile nations that i've never been able to refute.

fascinating. 

I want more facts.

I could see how the voicemail might be a problem, but it possibly could be an awkward way of saying "in my class you need to be reading the books that are on our class list" rather than "no religious reading in my classroom."

Because of my own personal biases, I suspect this is mountain from a molehill part 3006, but I will wait and see.  

How common is it for 12 year olds to enjoy reading the bible?

I used to read it a lot back then, but then I had already read every book in the library except the reference material.

classes were more boring than the begats.

Archived