Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sun-Sentinel: Boy's Bible-reading at Broward school causes stir

Zguy28

I want more facts.

I could see how the voicemail might be a problem, but it possibly could be an awkward way of saying "in my class you need to be reading the books that are on our class list" rather than "no religious reading in my classroom."

Because of my own personal biases, I suspect this is mountain from a molehill part 3006, but I will wait and see.  

It definitely could be, and I'm not saying it isn't a molehill. I went searching for more data and found this: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/5/teacher-banned-fifth-graders-bible-during-free-rea/

which doesn't really add anything substantive. The variable that seems to be what will bring clarity is how they define "free reading time".

And one more thing, I disagree with the lawyers asking for public apology. Its stupid. Seek to have the school (even privately) admit if they were wrong (if that is proven to be) and be done quietly. Turn the other cheek at that point and do unto others etc.

Oh, and I made a Jumbo-sized mistake and began to read the comments on the HuffPost article. :(

I just want to know what would have happened had the boy been reading the Koran

All of Broward County would be on security lockdown for a week.  

And the kid would have been nominated for a Nobel Prize by MSNBC.

It definitely could be, and I'm not saying it isn't a molehill. I went searching for more data and found this: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/5/teacher-banned-fifth-graders-bible-during-free-rea/

Wait, the Moonie Times did an article that shouted about how Christians are being persecuted by Liberals in America?

I'm stunned.

Moonie Times. We're trying to make World News Daily look like a liberal rag.

Looks like the school issued a statement that says the boy's reading choice is allowed afterall, but won't admit they were wrong directly.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Family-Wants-Apology-After-Son-Told-Not-to-Read-BIble-in-Class-258005661.html

And the dad is being a bit hypocritical by demanding apology and in the same breath saying "let's move on".

Looks like the school issued a statement that says the boy's reading choice is allowed afterall, but won't admit they were wrong directly.

Is it possible that this crisis of biblical proportions is going to be resolved without mock outrage dozens of politicians, multiple news networks, dozens of lawyers, and at least three courtrooms?

My opinion of this country may be about to go up.

I did accelerated reader in elementary and middle school and the way it worked for me was we had a specific list of young adult books with assigned point values and we had to answer a quiz after we finished reading. Sounds like he wasn't doing what he was supposed to and now they're making a big deal about it

This seems to be the story where the headline is an attention grabber, but the story is like "well okay". Maybe there was a booklist and maybe the teacher could have explained the rules better than saying "no religious books", but this is not like Russia after Lenin tooked over.

I would be more concerned if the kid was expelled or received more extreme punishment.

Archived