Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Top 5 College Basketball Players of All-Time

CrypticVillain

Just asking, why doesn't MJ make this list?

For me, he doesn't make the list for the same reason Magic doesn't make it.   He didn't play long enough or do enough in the years he was at UNC.   Michael, IMO, was a much better Pro then he was a college player.   Didn't really shoot the jumper all that well   Was a great player but not as good as other North Carolina players at the College level IMO.

Has nothing to do with personal. Has everything to do with college careers. What do you base your statement about Laettner on? I'm willing to listen to why you believe he is deserving of being top 5.

I should qualify my earlier statement. I can see why he isn't on everyone's all time top 5 list. But he's definitely on my all time list of players I watched play.

I'm sort of just complaining here, I get it, but Michael Jordan's college career per Wiki:

Jordan was recruited by numerous college basketball programs, including DukeNorth CarolinaSouth CarolinaSyracuse, and Virginia.[12] In 1981, Jordan accepted a basketball scholarship to North Carolina, where he majored in cultural geography.[13] As a freshman in coach Dean Smith's team-oriented system, he was named ACC Freshman of the Year after he averaged 13.4 points per game (ppg) on 53.4% shooting (field goal percentage).[14] He made the game-winning jump shot in the 1982 NCAA Championship game against Georgetown, which was led by future NBA rival Patrick Ewing.[2] Jordan later described this shot as the major turning point in his basketball career.[15] During his three seasons at North Carolina, he averaged 17.7 ppg on 54.0% shooting, and added 5.0 rebounds per game (rpg).[8] He was selected by consensus to the NCAA All-American First Team in both his sophomore (1983) and junior (1984) seasons. After winning the Naismith and the Wooden College Player of the Year awards in 1984, Jordan left North Carolina one year before his scheduled graduation to enter the 1984 NBA Draft. The Chicago Bulls selected Jordan with the third overall pick, after Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston Rockets) and Sam Bowie (Portland Trail Blazers). One of the primary reasons why Jordan was not drafted sooner was because the first two teams were in need of a center.[16] However, the Trail Blazers general manager Stu Inman contested that it was not a matter of drafting a center, but more a matter of taking Sam Bowie over Jordan, in part because Portland already had a guard with similar skills to Jordan, Clyde Drexler.[17] In 2005 ESPN, citing Bowie's injury-laden college career, named the Blazers' choice of Bowie as the worst draft pick in North American professional sports history.[18] Jordan returned to North Carolina to complete his degree in 1986

I admit I can't speak to his college career, but he did hit the game winner against Georgetown in the NCAA finals.  

That's true but he was not the best player on that team.   Worthy was the best player on that team and Michael, obviously a great player in his own right, never won another Championship.   The team he won it with was very, very talented.   In addition to Jordan, they had Worthy, Perkins, Black and Dohrety.    One of the greatest teams of all time.  That team sent 12 players to the NBA.   Now, not all of them were great or even played long but they all played.

Had MJ won in 83-84, he might have gotten more consideration.   Honestly, that 83-84 team might have been better then the 81-82 team that won the title.   MJ, Perkins, Kenny "The Jet" Smith, Brad Daughrty, Matt Doherty, Dave Popson and Joe Wolf.   They were really talented.  Just bad luck with Smith breaking his wrist late that year.  

There never has been a player whose highlight reel is more misleading than Pete Maravich's.  He defines overrated.

The free thinker/lunatic who invented my haircut averaged 44.2 a game during his three-season career; everyone who follows basketball knows this, because there’s simply no corollary for that kind of offensive production. It’s doubtful anyone will average 40 points again, and there’s zero chance someone will do it three times in a row. But here’s something even crazier: Maravich averaged 44.2 points per game while shooting 43.8 percent from the field. His career scoring average was higher than his career shooting percentage. Obviously, this is mathematically possible, because it happened. But try to imagine a modern scenario where that numeric contradiction occurs again. You will spend a long, long time staring into the abyss. Sometimes it pays to play for your dad.

From Grantland

Now sure, his team might not have won, but let's not act like the dude wasn't balling out his mind during those three years at LSU. Yeah his passes may be flashy or whatever, but it is what it is. 

Hope this one doesn't turn into another Bill Russell/Wilt Chamberlain fest.

This is just "MY" opinion, but I would love advance stats in all sports to die a slow and agonizing death.

Some threw in Beasley.  I'm not a UNC guy, but Tyler Hansborough could be thrown in.

I should qualify my earlier statement. I can see why he isn't on everyone's all time top 5 list. But he's definitely on my all time list of players I watched play.

That's fair.

For the record, the greatest Duke player ever might have been Art Heyman.   Before your time, I am sure.  He played 60-63 and he only played three seasons, because of the rules then.  No Freshman could play Varsity.   He was a Varsity starter all three years, averaged 25 pts a game, 11 Boards a game, College player of the year 1963, NCAA Tournament MVP in 1963, still the All Time score average leader in Duke Basketball History, #4 all time rebounding and one of only 3 players in ACC History to make 3 All ACC 1st teams Unanimously.

The list of people I've seen play isn't that interesting since it just covers the last 20 years basically.

The thing is, guys who would have been really really great CBB players almost all left after their first or second years. You haven't really gotten a Ralph Sampson or Bill Walton-like career in a while. Duncan might be the last comparable one.

You've got guys who came in and kicked ass for a season:

- Anthony Davis

- Kevin Durant

- Carmelo Anthony

- Michael Beasley

- Derrick Rose

Or maybe two years with at least one really spectacular season like:

- Chris Paul

- Allen Iverson

- Blake Griffin

- Steph Curry

- Gordon Hayward

Or you've got guys who stuck it out for longer and had accomplished careers but weren't really spectacular talents:

- JJ Reddick

- Tyler Hansbrough

- Adam Morrison

- Shane Battier

The list of people I've seen play isn't that interesting since it just covers the last 20 years basically.

The thing is, guys who would have been really really great CBB players almost all left after their first or second years. You haven't really gotten a Ralph Sampson or Bill Walton-like career in a while. Duncan might be the last comparable one.

You've got guys who came in and kicked ass for a season:

- Anthony Davis

- Kevin Durant

- Carmelo Anthony

- Michael Beasley

- Derrick Rose

Or maybe two years with at least one really spectacular season like:

- Chris Paul

- Allen Iverson

- Blake Griffin

- Steph Curry

- Gordon Hayward

Or you've got guys who stuck it out for longer and had accomplished careers but weren't really spectacular talents:

- JJ Reddick

- Tyler Hansbrough

- Adam Morrison

- Shane Battier

I agree with your post here.   However, Hansbrough, he might be a guy who could be on the best all time college player list.  Certainly a better college player then Pro but what he did in College was outstanding.

• Won a Championship in 2008
  • Consensus Player of the year 2008
  • Consensus 3x 1st Team All American 2007-2009
  • Consensus 2nd Team All American 2006
  • ACC POY 2008
  • ACC ROY 2006
  • 4x 1st Team All ACC 2006-2009.

That's actually a pretty strong resume IMO.   He was not just a guy who put up strong numbers over a 4 year period who ended up having good numbers.   He was a guy who dominated the College game each of his 4 years at UNC.   JMO

Yeah, no, Laettner was not even close to the best College Basketball player I've ever seen. Hell, he may not even the best Duke player of all time.   I'm OK with not being taken seriously by you.

I think Laettner was pretty damned good his senior year. Maybe as good as anybody ever. But to be in the top five you have to put together two or three years at that level. Laetner was a 4 year guy, but most modern players who play at that calabre there freshman or sophomore seasons will be going pro and cashing in on a high NBA draft slot.

Archived