Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Top 5 College Basketball Players of All-Time

CrypticVillain

It's March Madness and we have done a lot of debating of NBA player rankings, but what about college players? I must admit, my knowledge in this area is lacking, but here is my top 5, in no order...

Pistol Pete

Len Bias

Lew Alcindor

Christian Laettner

Bill Walton

I really wanted to put Melo in there, and Ralph Samson, but I think these five are a nice representation. 

It's March Madness and we have done a lot of debating of NBA player rankings, but what about college players? I must admit, my knowledge in this area is lacking, but here is my top 5, in no order...

Pistol Pete

Len Bias

Lew Alcindor

Christian Laettner

Bill Walton

I really wanted to put Melo in there, and Ralph Samson, but I think these five are a nice representation.

That is a solid list, ML. Can't really argue with any of them. Laettner is probably at the top of the list for me. What a player. What a career that guy had. And Bias. There probably aren't enough superlatives to describe how great that guy was. He would have possibly gone down as one of the greatest NBA players to play, too, imo.

Btw, Melo can't be considered, I don't think. Only played one season.

That is a solid list, ML. Can't really argue with any of them. Laettner is probably at the top of the list for me. What a player. What a career that guy had.

Btw, Melo can't be considered, I don't think. Only played one season.

I know. That is why I didn't put him in there. Can't be the best if you played one year. 

My first 4 are in no particular order, and of course I'm heavy on the ACC:

Tim Duncan: most fundamentally sound player I've ever watched in my life
Grant Hill: seemed to always create a good play
Randolph Childress: I think his 3 40-point games in the ACC tournament is still a record, a truly outstanding performance
J.J. Redick: very reliable shooter
#1 without a doubt: Pete Maravich: could shoot & score underhanded from his butt if needed...imagine how many points he would've had with a 3-point line!

I can't include Laettner because he became an absolute prick.   I have my scruples.

Bill Russell is one IMO. Won two National Championships at San Francisco. Won a Gold Medal as the captain of the American team (won their games by an average of 50+ points). Was player of the year and a two time All American.

I thought about him too. I can't lie, I kind of punished him for his success in the NBA, and I don't know too much about his college days other than that he was good lol

I'd probably go with this list:

1. Lew Alcinder

2.Oscar Robertson

3. Bill Walton

4. Ralph Sampson

5. David Thompson

There are some guys you could question at number 5.  Certainly, if you said Pistol Pete or Bill Russell or Wilt or Jerry West or the Big E or Larry, Magic or Michael, I would not have any real issue with that. 

Bill Russel

Bill Russell is one IMO. Won two National Championships at San Francisco. Won a Gold Medal as the captain of the American team (won their games by an average of 50+ points). Was player of the year and a two time All American.

Greatest College Players..

Lew Alcindor ( 3 NCAA championships, 3 NCAA MVPs )

Bill Walton (2 NCAA championships, 2 NCAA MVPs )

Alex Groza (2 NCAA championships, 2 NCAA MVPs )

Bob Kurland (2 NCAA championships, 2 NCAA MVPs )

Bill Russel ( 2 NCAA championships, 1 NCAA MVPs )

I'd probably go with this list:

1. Lew Alcinder

2.Oscar Robertson

3. Bill Walton

4. Ralph Sampson

5. David Thompson

There are some guys you could question at number 5. Certainly, if you said Pistol Pete or Bill Russell or Wilt or Jerry West or the Big E or Larry, Magic or Michael, I would not have any real issue with that.

If you don't have Laettner on your list, I can't take you seriously.

To make it more interesting, how about making it a list of players you've actually seen hoop?

I was going to do that, but I really wanted to include my man Pistol Pete in my list lol...

But if I did do it based on players I have seen...

Curry

Paul

Durant

Melo

JJ Reddick

I can't throw Duncan on the list even though I saw him play, I was young and really couldn't appreciate it.

To make it more interesting, how about making it a list of players you've actually seen hoop?

Same list.

1. Lew Alcinder

2.Oscar Robertson

3. Bill Walton

4. Ralph Sampson

5. David Thompson

If you don't have Laettner on your list, I can't take you seriously.

Yeah, no, Laettner was not even close to the best College Basketball player I've ever seen. Hell, he may not even the best Duke player of all time.   I'm OK with not being taken seriously by you.

Yeah, no, Laettner was not even close to the best College Basketball player I've ever seen. I'm OK with not being taken seriously by you.

You've gotta be kidding me. Leave your personal feelings for the guy out of this. He is EASILY one of the best college players to ever play.

You've gotta be kidding me. Leave your personal feelings for the guy out of this. He is EASILY one of the best college players to ever play.

Has nothing to do with personal.  Has everything to do with college careers.   What do you base your statement about Laettner on?  I'm willing to listen to why you believe he is deserving of being top 5.

Alcindor was a little before my time, as was Maravich.

In my time..

Christian Laetner

Jamal Mashburn

Patrick Ewing

James Worthy

Larry Johnson.

no particular order, and i'm sure if i think more, i'll make changes. 

~Bang

Three are easy to pick.

Lew Alcinder - number 1 hands down

Bill Walton

Bill Russell

All big guys, because truly dominant big guys own the college game to a much greater degree than they can own the pro game.   Or at least they used to.  

Then it gets hard.  Oscar Robertson?  Danny Manning?  David Thompson?  Ralph Sampson?  Elvin Hayes?   Jerry West?

Pistol Pete is one guy who doesn't make my list.  He played for his father, who let him hog the ball and shoot a zillion times a game even though his shooting percentage wasn't particularly high.   Who cares, it's my kid out there - gun away.  Pete make all sorts of crazy passes, a third of which became highlights and two thirds of which became turnovers.  Who cares, its my kid out there.  Pete played no defense.  Who cares, its my kid out there.  The team didn't win (LSU went 14-12, 13-13, and 20-8 in Pete's three years)   Who cares, its my kid out there.

There never has been a player whose highlight reel is more misleading than Pete Maravich's.  He defines overrated.

Archived