Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Netflix: House of Cards Thread (Season 2)-plan on it containing spoilers

Elessar78

I pounded through season 2 in two sittings and thought it was great. I'm now re-watching in segments. The tone of season 2 is more like the second half of season 1 than the first. Further from the 'This really happens in Washington' tone as some of the first half of season 1.

And the Orioles get a shoutout! 

Yeah, I didn't do it that quickly but I think I pounded through it in about a week. Good stuff. They introduce some pretty far-fetched stuff like the three-some and how quickly FU climbed the ladder, but all in all it's very entertaining. Too bad one of the main characters is played by the scion of the Giant's family but she got what she deserved accordingly. 

I actually thought it was a bit obvious what was going to happen after they had the whole barbecue speech about killing the hogs and then knowing that the meeting was taking place in a subway station.  But I had forgotten about my prediction by the time it actually happened, so I was still caught off guard.

I actually thought it was a bit obvious what was going to happen after they had the whole barbecue speech about killing the hogs and then knowing that the meeting was taking place in a subway station.  But I had forgotten about my prediction by the time it actually happened, so I was still caught off guard.

I took a creative writing course in college with a professor that was a very accomplished writer and I've never been able to look at literature and good TV the same way. Basically, nothing happens in good "video" or literature on the page/screen that means nothing. Season 1 finale begins with a tight shot of a leaking faucet and Frank violently "fixes the leak" by knocking the entire faucet head off, foreshadowing what he does to ZB.

I like that they build this parental relationship with Meechum, with the little chats, and tossing the baseball around in the back porch (breaking the pot -- "Don't tell Claire" -- "I heard that!")...and then wham. Speaking of, if Meechum was off duty that night, who was on duty? Shouldn't someone be?

I like that they build this parental relationship with Meechum, with the little chats, and tossing the baseball around in the back porch (breaking the pot -- "Don't tell Claire" -- "I heard that!")...and then wham. Speaking of, if Meechum was off duty that night, who was on duty? Shouldn't someone be?

I didn't look it as parental, more of a bromance.

I wonder what happens in S3. Maybe the hacker tracks down Rachael and they work together? I could also see a situation where Frank needs the help of an imprisoned Raymond Tusk who uses that as leverage.

Having watched the whole season its easy to leave out how quickly, and unexpectedly, they dealt with Kate Mara. Great show. Poor Doug. hahaha.

Poor Doug indeed. Laying on the ground with his eyes open...he's gotta be dead. 

My wife happened to swing by as ZB met the front of the train car and quipped that Frank was covering HIS tracks while she was covering THE tracks. ba-dum-ching! 

Having watched the whole season its easy to leave out how quickly, and unexpectedly, they dealt with Kate Mara. I didn't see that coming at all. Great show.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why they "offed" her character so suddenly?  Did she have other projects in the works and couldn't devote time to the show, necessitating a quick re-write, or was that planned all along?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why they "offed" her character so suddenly?  Did she have other projects in the works and couldn't devote time to the show, necessitating a quick re-write, or was that planned all along?

It was planned all along. I saw something with the primary writer of the show contemplated keeping her around but that would be a major break from the British version. 

A buddy of mine watched the show almost exclusively for Mara b/c he thought she was the hottest thing on earth.  He just turned it right off after that scene in episode 1 of season 2 and swears he'll never watch another second.  lol

Well, the brief tit picture should have kept him around, or maybe that was a different episode.  Unless that wasn't actually Kate Mara in the picture.

It was planned all along. I saw something with the primary writer of the show contemplated keeping her around but that would be a major break from the British version. 

Yeah, I agree with this.  I saw an interview with Beau Willimon and Kate Mara the other morning and he mentioned that he told her from the beginning that this would happen.  He said he briefly considered keeping her since her character was so popular, but it wouldn't have been right.

Finished season 2 last night. Loved the last shot - Underwood double taps the desk... great ending.

Totally far fetched, though... no way he can be that two faced and it not blow up on him... but it was entertaining as hell.

and yeah, poor Doug - thought he was going to be on the other end of that one. nice twist.

I found myself hating his wife badly.. I guess I expect more from women and she is even more evil than Frank. She is the real puppetmaster, here. I loved her brief cry-fest at realizing how much of a witch she is but then snapping back instantly to dress down Francis and order him to bamboozle the president, which he dutifully does.

the only bad thing is we have to wait a year before season 3 drops. It will be interesting to see where that goes as his power play has reached its ultimate goal... next stop: emperor for life?

They had to off her to make room for the characters who come next.

The netflix series is loosely following the BBC series.   In the BBC series the reporter Francis Urquhart had the affair with dies at the end of season 1.   The Frank character throws her off a roof.   One difference in the series is in the BBC show the reporter had recorded the final conversation where the politian confesses and what happens to the tape was a big part of season 2 and 3.   It was like the sword of damocleas hanging over the politician.  They haven't mentioned a tape in the Netflixs show,  so I'm guessing they are doing the same thing with this hacker.

I believe you can get the BBC show on netflixs too if anybody wants to get another house of cards fix.

The BBC show is excellent too.

These things usually follow a 5-season arc. Season 3 will be Frank at his Apex and its the descent after that.

Nope,  3 seasons and it's done..   Just like the BBC series.

Yeah, I agree with this.  I saw an interview with Beau Willimon and Kate Mara the other morning and he mentioned that he told her from the beginning that this would happen.  He said he briefly considered keeping her since her character was so popular, but it wouldn't have been right.

Yeah they need her to die because her murder becomes part of the chain of murders which define Francis.

Well, I just got through episode 11 of season 2, did not see the threesome coming, appreciated the brief scene with Doug watching through the window more.  Will probably watch the last two episodes this weekend, then have another year of withdrawal.

This is speculation of course since I haven't seen the last two, nor have I watched the BBC series, but Underwood has to become president right (don't laugh at me if this already happened)?  I mean, at this point, wouldn't it be wildly disappointing if he didn't manage to get to the top?  At some point, a well-done villain can cross over to the point where you start kind of rooting for him, and he's more than achieved that.  Great writing, great acting.  

Nope,  3 seasons and it's done..   Just like the BBC series.

Yeah they need her to die because her murder becomes part of the chain of murders which define Francis.

I'll be surprised. BBC series are like that because 3-year contracts are the norm in the UK. But then again, HoC is following a different model already. 

Archived