Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Science.house/ Bill Prohibits EPA from Using Secret Science

twa

should all regs be based only on transparent and reproducible science?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. all regs should be based only on transparent and reproducible science?

• No, I like mystery
    • Yes, I prefer transparency and reproducible science

It's pretty clear to me that "secret science" and "hidden data" is going to be the next GOP buzzword for a while.  I'm guessing it tested pretty well in Frank Luntz's focus groups.  

No.  :)

It's a pattern they've been following for years. 

Demand more.  Demand more.  Demand more.  Keep at it until something happens.  Then yell "cover up!!" really loudly. 

Heck, seems like we did that dance over Benghazi for like four years.  And then, after all that, tried to hide their own committee's report, because even their report didn't say what they wanted people to think it said. 

Doesn't guarantee that there's nothing, in this case.  But I'm not gonna run out and stock up on canned goods and ammo. 

talking about anything but the fact they will not release the information is going to be a trend eh?

look ....squirrel 

I need more information to tell me if this is a real issue or a made-up issue.  

Given the recent track history of the Congressional GOP (and the way they phrased their press release) I have a sneaking suspicion that this is more of the same partisan crap like we used to get when Jim Inhofe controlled the Senate Environmental committee.  

So I'll wait and see.   You haven't done much to convince me so far, with your "have you stopped beating your wife" poll.  

I need more information to tell me if this is a real issue or a made-up issue.  

You need more information to decide whether the science studies and source data used by the EPA to set policy should be available?

Can you tell me why it should not be? 

You need more information to decide whether the science studies and source data used by the EPA to set policy should be available?

Can you tell me why it should not be? 

I can't even tell you that it hasn't been.   I don't know what exactly they asked for, what they got, any of the underlying context, or anything.   

If the Republicans want all the EPAs research to be reproducible, presumably they will introduce a bill to fund the creation of another planet Earth, so that experiments can be carried out to the degree of rigor that they seek.

Do you think disclosing source material and data is too rigorous?

Typical Republican BS red meat that they can feed their voters back home and say, "I put forth a bill that would keep the EPA from using secret science...because we all know they have, am-I-right, and those dern Dems in the Senate wouldn't pass it!"

Voters: "Raawwrrrr Dems bad!!!"

GOP Aide: "Ummm Congressman, the EPA doesn't use secret science...."

Congressman: "Oh don't tell them that, we just got 3 percentage points!"

Reminds me of the scene in Waterworld, "Don't worry about it, they'll row for a month before they realize I'm faking it."

Do you think disclosing source material and data is too rigorous?

Sure, publish data. There is existing legislation and Executive Orders that make this bill unnecessary.

But here's what the bill says.

"The Administrator shall not propose, finalize, or disseminate a covered action unless all scientific and technical information relied on to support such covered action is (A) specifically identified; and (B ) publicly available in a manner that is sufficient for independent analysis and substantial reproduction of research results.”

Outside of building a new Earth where you can experiment and reproduce results, how do you think this can be accomplished?

And if you think that's too much of stretch, how about "we can't implement this legislation because studies by [insert Industry lobbyist here] couldn't reproduce the results that the EPA are relying on."

The EPA is not staffed by environmental nutjobs, however much the GoP might like to claim that it is. If anything they should be a lot tougher on the big polluters.

Pointing out that, while I strongly suspect that this is a made up publicity stunt, I don;t see enough evidence to jump to that conclusion, either. 

(Frankly, IMO, it's impossible to say, for sure, either way, until somebody is willing to specify exactly what it is that they claim they don't have.) 

Pointing out that, while I strongly suspect that this is a made up publicity stunt, I don;t see enough evidence to jump to that conclusion, either. 

(Frankly, IMO, it's impossible to say, for sure, either way, until somebody is willing to specify exactly what it is that they claim they don't have.)

Hey we're just asking questions, what's wrong with asking questions?

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/08/a_little_context_for_us_rep_ed.php

The data in question comes from the seminal Harvard Six Cities study. Researchers sited air-monitoring stations in six American towns and strapped mobile ambient air-quality sampling packs to many of the thousands of study participants, whom they followed for 17 years. From 1974 to 1991, they checked in with these folks annually to ascertain their vital status. After controlling for smoking and other risk factors, they found that air pollution shortened their participants' lives.

In 1993, the researchers published their work in the New England Journal of Medicine, proving that pollution meant more to humans than smog and foul-smelling air. It kills us slowly. They added to the data eight additional years of follow-up in another peer-reviewed journal in 2006. During that time, air pollution levels decreased in the cities. So too did the associated risk of death from heart and lung disease.

Citizens for a Sound Economy, a deregulation advocacy group founded by the Koch brothers, understood the implications better than anyone. They knew that the data would almost certainly be used by the EPA to regulate air pollution, like particulate matter. Luckily, they had friends in Congress who demanded that the study authors release their raw data. Because much of that data consisted of personal health information, and because the authors had promised the participants that they wouldn't drag their private lives into the public realm, they declined.

The EPA, as Koch Industries suspected, wanted to rely on the data for new air pollution limits. Under stiff pressure from anti-regulatory lawmakers, the agency struck on a compromise. They let an independent group of scientists attempt to poke holes in the conclusions and methods of the Harvard study. The group came away impressed, affirming the findings. In fact, it's now a model for air quality studies around the world.

Now a powerful House committee is calling once again for the Six Cities "secret data," as Smith characterizes it. He claims Congress has been stonewalled by the EPA and he has been left with no choice but to subpoena it. As Johnson has noted time and again, EPA supplied the committee with data that had been "de-identified" to protect the privacy of the study participants. Apparently, that wasn't good enough for Smith. When asked to whom he would give this raw data to, he said "It wouldn't be fair to identify individuals or organizations."

Hey we're just asking questions, what's wrong with asking questions?

nothing if ya like science

Watching people 'interact' with TWA on here is hilarious. 

He's linking to things like junkscience.com which is ran by that whack-job Steve Milloy. Don't post ridiculous things like that if you're going to try and bring up science.

my links there simply showed the letter and the subpoena....are you saying they are falsified or missreprented?

look squirrel

Well, I'm willing to actually allow him, and said politicians, to make a case.

Mostly because I hate arguments based simply on dismissing the people presenting them, and because I'm pretty confident that if they actually reveal what they want, we'll discover that the whole thing was a sham from the beginning.

Your position is going to be that they demanded something else, but neither they nor you can say what it is?

my position is all studies and data used by the EPA to make rules should (after personal identity is protected) be released.

it ends the questions....ya know....transparency  :)

my position is all studies and data used by the EPA to make rules should (after personal identity is protected) be released.

Gee.

Wonder why that's not what the law said.

Just picking the example that Switchgear posted, as an example of a "typical study". (Let's just assume that this wasn't the specific data they were demanding, but will not say so.)

Would you consider this study to fit the law's "reproducibility" requirement?

Or should we trim that part of the law out, when we're adding the protection for person-specific medical information?

Archived