Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senators Tom Sen. Coburn and Sen. Angus King want to end the NFL's tax-exempt status.

Dub70s

They are taking issue with the fact that the NFL only represents 32 teams in one league and is a violation of the rules regarding non-profit status.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2014/01/30/nfl-nonprofit-coburn-king-newday.cnn.html

They pointed to the fact that there aren't any non-profit presidents making nearly as much as Goodell in salary ($29M...cough cough).

PGA, NBA, and other sports associations may be impacted.

Nice mention of the Redskins.....!

Well, I don't know how you would tax the entity NFL. All 32 teams are taxed individually, to my knowledge at least. This is Coburn and King posturing to get a few votes with no real threat of action. If there is action, there will be legal wrangling that will get costly. 

Its going to end.  I mean you can't make 29 mil a year and be a non-profit, Goodell should know that.  I mean anything over 10 mil is pushing it. It's not a trade association since it doesn't represent other leagues and actively compete against other professional football leagues. Its a corporate brand and vehicle for IP that they protect (I have heard so many "Big Game" promos it makes me sick).

Its going to end.  I mean you can't make 29 mil a year and be a non-profit, Goodell should know that.  I mean anything over 10 mil is pushing it. It's not a trade association since it doesn't represent other leagues and actively compete against other professional football leagues. Its a corporate brand and vehicle for IP that they protect (I have heard so many "Big Game" promos it makes me sick).

Totally agree it annoys me to no end to see "The Big Game" because of the greed of the NFL.

Well, I don't know how you would tax the entity NFL. All 32 teams are taxed individually, to my knowledge at least. This is Coburn and King posturing to get a few votes with no real threat of action. If there is action, there will be legal wrangling that will get costly. 

First, don't think you can fight the tax code. Second, the collective NFL is making money, the teams are paying taxes individually and they are not on the hook. What is on the hook is the non-profit status of the NFL, the NFL is making too much money to maintain a non-profit status. Non-profits must spend most of what they make in a responsible matter and not carry over significant amounts of money on it's ledger. Paying huge salaries compared to other non-profits of comparable fiscal size is outside the IRS code and will be taxed as income. I see this going to court and the NFL getting spanked by the IRS, unless, hahahaha, they settle quickly.'

They are taking issue with the fact that the NFL only represents 32 teams in one league and is a violation of the rules regarding non-profit status.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2014/01/30/nfl-nonprofit-coburn-king-newday.cnn.html

They pointed to the fact that there aren't any non-profit presidents making nearly as much as Goodell in salary ($29M...cough cough).

PGA, NBA, and other sports associations may be impacted.

Nice mention of the Redskins.....!

I usually respect Coburn, but this is as dumb an idea as I have heard. Doesn't CONgress have anything better to deal with? The economy is going to hell in a handbasket, millions are unemployed, millions have lost their healthcare insurance, and yet .. yeah .. CONgress should TOTALLY work on getting even with the millionaires in the NFL! (/sarc)

• 2 weeks later...

Late to this thread but it looks like half the responders didn't even watch the story the thread is about (the story had nothing to do with sportsnames - heck the Redskins mention in jest was positive). Must agree with the Senators on this, looks like the NFL trade commission and Goodell especially has abused this status. More reason for the owners to dump Goodell.

Archived