Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS NAME IKE HILLIARD AS WIDE RECEIVERS COACH

TK

We need him on special teams as a gunner, I would count Paul as a certainty to come back next season, we need the backup at TE as well because of Reed and Davis not being the most durable guys on the team.

I don't know about that.  Special teams was so abysmal last year that I don't even know that he can make the claim that he has value on teams.

So, what you're really saying is that Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders and the others we got from the USFL back in the '80's were complete bums because they came from the lesser league?

Not at all, in fact the opposite. The original comment implied that having 5 coaches who had been at Florida was concerning. If that is a concern, then you should consider that they also have nfl experience too. If you read back I've previously i think having the continuity of coaches that have worked together is beneficial for a first time HC trying to get players to buy into his system.

any thoughts on this below?

-----------

The Buffalo Bills have fired receivers coach Ike Hilliard.

Head coach Doug Marrone announced the move during the team's season-ending news conference Monday. The decision came a day after the Bills (6-10) closed their season with a 34-20 loss at New England.

Marrone would only say he made the decision based on ''a difference in philosophy.''

Hilliard completed his first season with Buffalo, and was part of the staff hired by Marrone when he took over in January.

Hilliard oversaw a young group of receivers that included rookies Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin. Hilliard completed his third season as an NFL coach. He previously spent 12 seasons playing in the NFL, split between the New York Giants and Tampa Bay.

Buffalo's top Receiver......was a TE.....

60 Scott Chandler BUF TE 53 655 12.4 40.9 33T 2 10 0 26 49.1 1 70 Steve Johnson BUF WR 52 597 11.5 49.8 45 3 6 1 33 63.5 1 75 Robert Woods BUF WR 40 587 14.7 41.9 57 3 9 2 26 65.0 0 130 Fred Jackson BUF RB 47 387 8.2 24.2 37 1 4 0 16 34.0 1 138 T.J. Graham BUF WR 23 361 15.7 22.6 47 2 6 3 13 56.5 1 167 Marquise Goodwin BUF WR 17 283 16.6 23.6 59T 3 5 3 13 76.5 1

Don't know exactly the depth of what happened there but I would say he didn't exactly have a lot to work with and the two young guys were high on avg. per catch. The TE being tops speaks more I think about EJ Manuel and the QB situation then it does about the WR's or the WR coach. 

We need him on special teams as a gunner, I would count Paul as a certainty to come back next season, we need the backup at TE as well because of Reed and Davis not being the most durable guys on the team.

Well as Burgold points out special teams were an absolute mess last year and need a total overhaul. Anyone who was here primarily for their special teams play will be under the microscope. As for his role at TE he has very very limited value there - Paulsen is a better blocker (though he may be on the bubble as well) and for a guy who converted to TE from WR he has very iffy hands and has been pretty much a non factor in the passing game.

The days of people wondering if he could be the next Shannon Sharpe are long gone .....

Marrone would only say he made the decision based on ''a difference in philosophy.''

Part of my thoughts are on the previous page here and there.

Difference in philosophy is quite an hypocrisy to me, talking about double faced people. It's just like when an owner or GM fires his HC with a let's say a 2-14 record and says that he appreciated his contribution and wish him well. If there was such a difference in philosophy, why did they hired him in the first place ? That doesn't make any sense, you're supposed to hire someone who will fit in the mold, right ?

You've got a point, he didn't have a lot of talent but didn't he had Robert and Pierre here ? Besides that he knew where he was heading when he decided to join the Bills. I didn't get it, why in the world did he go to a place where he had just 2 average WRs and no one special at QB?

Well as Burgold points out special teams were an absolute mess last year and need a total overhaul. Anyone who was here primarily for their special teams play will be under the microscope. As for his role at TE he has very very limited value there - Paulsen is a better blocker (though he may be on the bubble as well) and for a guy who converted to TE from WR he has very iffy hands and has been pretty much a non factor in the passing game.

The days of people wondering if he could be the next Shannon Sharpe are long gone .....

Ah, good times...

Coaches will give Niles Paul an opportunity to compete but I agree that his best opportunity to actually make the team is as a special teamer.  Who knows though with the former TE coach now being the OC.  McVay may know something about Niles Paul's abilities that we don't.  Still, I can't see both Niles Paul and Jordan Reed on the field if you have other playmakers (Wrs or a pass catching RB) that you want to have on the field.  I mentioned Paul only because I can see the Skins again keeping more TEs than normal if some are playing as hybrid WRs. 

I don't see Davis returning and while I like Logan Paulson he didn't seem to do as well blocking this season.  Perhaps the roster would be Jordan Reed, Logan Paulson, and Niles Paul (as special teamer and quasi depth for TE).  If Jordan Reed gets hurt then either Paulson or Niles Paul would have to step up and catch some passes (not as many as Reed though).  A pure blocking TE should be available off the street.  It seems to my un-tutored eyes that there are plenty of blocking TEs in the league that can catch the occasional pass. 

By the way I've got a couple of questions:

Do you know Gruden's contract numbers ?

Imagine you're the GM and you've got the choice between Gruden/Haslett and Shaw/Fangio, which duo would you pick ?

Shaw was never an option. We put feelers out for him because we wanted him.

If I'm GM I want a young guy w/ fire for my HC who has shown steady improvement in recent years and I want it to be on the side of the ball that I believe should be the focus of the team. Gruden fits that bill. The team is centered around RG3 and Gruden of Whisenhunt were the 2 best options available for us. Whisenhunt was my preferred option, but we put feelers out to him and if Titans had signed Gruden then Whisenhunt easily could have gone to Detroit and then we're stuck with the leftovers. Fangio wasn't too great in NFL until he came back with the 49ers who were loaded with talent. I'm just fine with the Gruden pick, and Haslett wasn't his first choice as DC, and talk is he will stay on a 1 year, prove it deal. 

Gruden's contract I believe is 5 years, $20 million.

I agree that the special teams unit needs a complete overhaul but I can´t see how we´re going to get a good unit together in 1 offseason, we had 2 guys who could make a play, Paul and Reed Doughty, we´ll probably see both back next season as backups. I don´t expect a whole lot more from Niles, especially not to be the next Shannon Sharpe..  :lol:

You've got a point, he didn't have a lot of talent but didn't he had Robert and Pierre here ? Besides that he knew where he was heading when he decided to join the Bills. I didn't get it, why in the world did he go to a place where he had just 2 average WRs and no one special at QB?

He did have Pierre here, and Pierre, on a per game basis, had a better 2012 than 2013. Plus, Hilliard helped him transition from WR2 to WR1. Hilliard wanted out of here because of Shanny and the Bills gave him that chancve. The coaches were knew so a bit of an uncertainty, but that's how bad he wanted out of here due to Shanny, and he's not the only coach that wanted out because of Shanahan. That's why coaches typically like hiring people they've worked with before, because they know the working relationship. Bringing in someone new there's always the risk they don't mesh well. Reports from some of the Bills fans were that the Buffalo OC was also a control freak and interfered with position coaches. I really don't get why you're fretting this much over a WR coach who's early in his coaching career, played at the WR level, and saw young WRs have good years both with the Redskins and with the Bills.

^^^ I agree with this. I've left jobs because the work environment was awful or the management stunk. Money is an incentive, but Imo its not worth having to drag your ass in every day hating every minute of it. I hope Ike has talent to work with other than Garcon.

Archived