Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS NAME IKE HILLIARD AS WIDE RECEIVERS COACH

TK

January 20, 2014

REDSKINS NAME IKE HILLIARD AS WIDE RECEIVERS COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Ike Hilliard as Wide Receivers Coach.

Hilliard returns to the Redskins after having coached the team’s wide receivers during Washington’s NFC East championship campaign in 2012. Last season, Hilliard served as wide receivers coach for the Buffalo Bills, helping mold a young group that included rookie second-round pick Robert Woods (40 receptions for 587 yards with three touchdowns) and rookie third-round pick Marquise Goodwin (17 receptions for 283 yards with three touchdowns).

Hilliard boasts 15 seasons of NFL experience, including 12 seasons as a wide receiver. Prior to his first stint in Washington, he served as the assistant wide receivers coach for the Miami Dolphins after two seasons coaching for the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League. Hilliard worked as a volunteer coach with the Tuskers in 2009 under current Redskins Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett, who served as the team’s head coach. Hilliard was elevated to the position of Receivers Coach for 2010 under current Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden.

A first round selection in the 1997 NFL Draft (No. 7 overall), Hilliard played 12 combined seasons for the New York Giants (1997-2004) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2005-08). In 161 career games with 106 starts, Hilliard caught 546 passes for 6,397 yards and 35 touchdowns.

Hilliard played collegiately at the University of Florida from 1994-96, catching 126 passes for 2,214 yards and 26 touchdowns. He earned first-team All-SEC and All-America honors as a junior and, in the final game of the season, finished with seven catches for 150 yards and three touchdowns in leading the Gators to a 52-20 Sugar Bowl win to secure the school’s first national championship.

Hilliard, 37, is a native of Patterson, La.

HILLIARD FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1994-96: Wide Receiver, Florida

1997-2004: Wide Receiver, New York Giants

2005-08: Wide Receiver, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2009: Volunteer Coach, Florida Tuskers (UFL)

2010: Wide Receivers Coach, Florida Tuskers

2011: Assistant Wide Receivers Coach, Miami Dolphins

2012: Wide Receivers Coach, Washington Redskins

2013: Wide Receivers Coach, Buffalo Bills

2014: Wide Receivers Coach, Washington Redskins

Redskins hire Ike Hilliard as wide receivers coach

The Washington Redskins have hired Ike Hilliard as their wide receivers coach, the team announced Monday. Coach Jay Gruden had said Friday he planned to hire Hilliard.

Hilliard returns to the Redskins after serving as the team’s wide receivers coach in the 2012 season under former coach Mike Shanahan. He spent this season as the Buffalo Bills wide receivers coach but was not retained.

The former NFL wideout played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when Gruden coached there. He also coached for Gruden in the United Football League.

He got fired after one year with the Bills, he had a healthy Robert (most of the season) but McDaniel managed to do better with Robert recovering from ACL surgery. Garçon had his best year without him !.

I only see another state of cronyism here. Good luck though.

The Washington Tuskers

5 of 18 coaches from Florida - McVay, Hilliard, Gruden, Haslett, Englehart - Of those - McVay, Haslett, and Englehart were already here and Hilliard coached here before. So the only new coach from the Tuskers is Gruden.

Sounds like there are some holes in your comment.

2013 Bills 28th in receiving 16TD, Redskins 16th 20TD 4,057 yards

2012 Redskins 21st in receiving  24TD 3,666 yards

We're supposed to improve, right ?

Let's look at a more complete set of data, and let's include 2011.

2011--> Rank in yds - 14, yards 4058, TD 19, pts/gm - 18, yds /rec - 11.7

2012--> Rank in yds - 21, yards 3600, TD 24, pts/gm 27.2, yds/rec - 12.6

2013--> rank in yds - 16, yards 4057, TD 20, pts/gm, 20.9, yds/rec - 11.4

So, yes in yards only we were worse in 2012 when he was here. However, that was also RGIIIs rookie year when we ran a lot (remember everyone complaining we had less pass attempts than anyone in the NFL and that's why RGIIIs numbers were so good!). You can only get as many yards as passes thrown. Then it's what you do with it.

So in terms of opportunity: in 2012 we more TDs than 11 and 13 (5 and 4 respectively), more pts per game (9.2 and 6.3 respectively), and more yds per reception (0.9 and 1.2 yds respectively). It looks to me like he had a pretty positive influence. Despite having less pass attempts, we had considerably better production in TDs, pt's/gm and yds/catch and that production went back down after he left!! 

I say welcome back IKE!!!!  Do it again!!!!! 

He got fired after one year with the Bills, he had a healthy Robert (most of the season) but McDaniel managed to do better with Robert recovering from ACL surgery. Garçon had his best year without him !.

I only see another state of cronyism here. Good luck though.

I actually read up on fan comments about it. None of them believed he was fired due to poor performance. The play of Woods and Goodwin don't back up poor performance by the WR coach either. Philosophical differences were quoted, and they parted ways. The fans believed the OC was interfering because he has that problem with a couple position coaches, but HC backs him up since they're friends. 

You say Ike Hillard is cronyism, and actually applaud McDaniel? You obviously haven't looked in to this much at all. As posted in the coordinators thread when Ike Hilliard was brought up: Aldrick Robinson and Hankerson both regressed this season in terms of receiving average and targets to receptions ratio. Moss had a down season as well, Morgan fell off a cliff. Really the only receiver who did well this season was Garcon. Sorry, but the performance of 1 WR doesn't outweigh the lack in the others. Pierre's receptions went up, but his targets to receptions ratio slipped a bit, and his receiving average was way down, plus he had just 1 more TD then last season despite 6 more games. His improvement in 2012 with us, from 2011 w/ Indy, was better, and that was with Hilliard here.

McDaniel was actually the cronyism hire, yet you are applauding him, apparently because you aren't aware that the WR corp as a whole regressed, and that McDaniel has no experience prior as a WR coach, had NO NFL experience as a position coach, was a RB coach in the UFL, not a WR coach, no NFL playing experience to make up for the lack of coach experience, BUT he was an assistant with the Texans and an intern at Denver under Shanny. THAT was a cronyism hire, and the result was the WR corp. regressed. Morgan was benched, Robinson did terrible and missed most of the balls thrown his way, Moss regressed big time, that potential people were hoping Hankerson would build on after 2012 didn't really happen, he still couldn't break through and then he got injured and was done for the season. And again, Garcon went up in receptions but went down on other significant areas.

Meanwhile in Buffalo, with Manuel and Thuel and Lewis as QBs, Robert Woods stepped up a rookie WR2 and showed good potential, posted 40 receptions on 86 targets, 587 yds, 3 TDs, a 14.7 rec. avg. in 14 games. He was one of the best rookie WRs this season. Marquise Goodwin, as a WR3/4, 3rd round pick rookie, 17 receptions on 32 targets, 283 yards, 3 TDs, 16.6 rec. avg. in 12 games. The last time we had a rookie WR show anything decent his rookie year was: Aldrick Robinson, 2012 under Hilliard, 11 receptions on 19 targets, 237 yards, 3 TDs, 21.5 avg, as a WR4. We saw hankerson progress in his 2nd year, working with Hillaird, and then mostly regress this season.

Ike Hilliard was an NFL WR, then a WR coach for the Tuskers, then an assistant WR coach for the Dolphins, then a WR coach for us, then the Bills, and now for us again. He has the qualifications to at least by a WR coach right now. McDaniel, not even close.

This was Garcon's first full season ever as a WR1. But if you break down the stats on a per game basis, 2012 was more impressive, and that was his first season as a WR1, and he did it working under Hilliard.

I don't see cronyism. I see a coach with actual experience at the position he is coaching who thus far has been getting results.

5 of 18 coaches from Florida - McVay, Hilliard, Gruden, Haslett, Englehart - Of those - McVay, Haslett, and Englehart were already here and Hilliard coached here before. So the only new coach from the Tuskers is Gruden.

Sounds like there are some holes in your comment.

Not really, breh.  Every single one of those guys you just named was hired AFTER Haslett.  You don't think 'ol Hazzy put in a good word or two that landed guys like McVay and Englehart their first NFL coaching jobs ever?

Not really, breh.  Every single one of those guys you just named was hired AFTER Haslett.  You don't think 'ol Hazzy put in a good word or two that landed guys like McVay and Englehart their first NFL coaching jobs ever?

McVay was an Allen guy/hire, and a damn good one. That's still only 5/18 and frankly, every coach in the NFL has at least a few coaches on staff that he's worked with before. Whisenhunt just hired Mularkey as his TE coach, they worked together in Pittsburgh before. 

Yea, heaven forbid someone recommend someone they know for a job. Seriously this cronyism crap is just about crazy. So unless every person they hire is from another organization there is a problem with that?   Also, great math, 5/18 = a whole staff..   lol  Let's just overlook the real facts and use exaggeration, that will make it true…...

Yea, heaven forbid someone recommend someone they know for a job. Seriously this cronyism crap is just about crazy. So unless every person they hire is from another organization there is a problem with that?   Also, great math, 5/18 = a whole staff..   lol  Let's just overlook the real facts and use exaggeration, that will make it true…...

I never once said "whole staff" you damn clown pigeon.  And my math could beat up your math any day of the week. 

The "cronyism crap" isn't crazy at all… the fact that some people are taking issue to the fact that we retained one of the most consistently-ineffective defensive coordinators in the NFL, along with a HUGE chunk of his staff from a now-defunct "professional" football league, makes total sense to me.

If the OC of a Super Bowl winning team became our head coach and decided he wanted to bring along nearly 1/3 of his staff, I would be totally stoked.  

My problem with this situation is that it's Jim Haslett, the Florida Tuskers, and a bunch of dudes who might have some potential- but have never ACTUALLY won anything at the Pro level.

Right, because position coaches who win Superbowls always go on to be great coordinators and head coaches and those who don't, never become good coordinators or head coaches. Never mind having good merits and qualifications on almost every single hire, now you have to have won something in order to be good; potential doesn't matter. Keep moving those goal posts back. 

Good thing the Saints didn't listen to that nonsense, or they wouldn't have hired Sean Payton and won the Superbowl with Gregg Willliams as DC and Pete Carmichael as OC, neither of whom ever won anything at the Pro level. 

Also, I guess the Broncos are screwed, because John Fox has never won anything at the pro level, nor has their OC Adam Gase. Oh, and they hired Del Rio as their DC who was was head coach of usually bad Jaguars teams, oh but he won a Superbowl as LBer coach with the Ravens, so it's all good, that Denver D must be stout, right?

Raheem Morris was retained, and he was on the Buccaneers staff when they won the Superbowl.

The last time we had a Superbowl-winning coach who brought in a bunch of his staff it was Mike Shanahan and the team collapsed. Why? Because many of the people he brought in were yes men that he overruled, and/or were not qualified to do their jobs. Many of the qualified coaches left because of that too. 

The reason I like this staff, save for Haslett, is because of their qualifications. I couldn't care less if they worked with Gruden before on the Tuskers, what I care about is how they have fared overall in their coaching careers. The majority of the staff have fared well or are promising up and comers. 

You say Ike Hillard is cronyism, and actually applaud McDaniel?

I didn't "applaude" him just pointed out a few stats. You're right he is also in the cronyism hiring, I didn't gave him a pass about it either.

"Philosophical differencies", since when the NFL is about philosophy ? don't you think it's lip servive here ?

You've got some points, but I still got a problem understanding why a supposed good position coach like him was fired/let go twice in a row, and how are we going to build something new with something old ?

Good luck to him anyways.

I didn't "applaude" him just pointed out a few stats. You're right he is also in the cronyism hiring, I didn't gave him a pass about it either.

"Philosophical differencies", since when the NFL is about philosophy ? don't you think it's lip servive here ?

You've got some points, but I still got a problem understanding why a supposed good position coach like him was fired/let go twice in a row, and how are we going to build something new with something old ?

Looked like you were praising McDaniel for Garcon this season and endorsing him, but obviously you cleared up that now.

Insiders and others confirmed Hilliard left here for the same reason Spanos, Olivadotti, and Danny Smith did, because they were being overruled by a meddlesome head coach and only yes men were tolerated. Look at Kyle's staff this past season, all Texans assistants with very little qualifications. Problem is, people in Buffalo are saying Hilliard had the misfortune of running into a similar situation this season in Buffalo with the OC who is good friends with the HC, so Hilliard parted with them over philosophical differences, otherwise he would have just simply been released. Again, the fans, and the production of the young WRs despite the QB situation, shows Hilliard did not get fired due to poor performance. How exactly is he something old? In terms of coaching, he's early in his career.

I never once said "whole staff" you damn clown pigeon.  And my math could beat up your math any day of the week. 

The "cronyism crap" isn't crazy at all… the fact that some people are taking issue to the fact that we retained one of the most consistently-ineffective defensive coordinators in the NFL, along with a HUGE chunk of his staff from a now-defunct "professional" football league, makes total sense to me.

If the OC of a Super Bowl winning team became our head coach and decided he wanted to bring along nearly 1/3 of his staff, I would be totally stoked.  

My problem with this situation is that it's Jim Haslett, the Florida Tuskers, and a bunch of dudes who might have some potential- but have never ACTUALLY won anything at the Pro level.

I was going to write a detailed response but honestly if you need to resort to name calling it's not worth the time nor are you. 

HTTR! 

He was not fired form here. He left on his own. Also, while they had less yards which they have little control over, the WRs here had better overall production with those less yards than they did before or after he was here: 

Reposted for reference:

2011--> Rank in yds - 14, yards 4058, TD 19, pts/gm - 18, yds /rec - 11.7

2012--> Rank in yds - 21, yards 3600, TD 24, pts/gm 27.2, yds/rec - 12.6

2013--> rank in yds - 16, yards 4057, TD 20, pts/gm, 20.9, yds/rec - 11.4

It is possible he was brought back because he did a good job. The numbers indicate he did. 

Archived