Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look(Head Coaches):Jim Caldwell

darrelgreenie

We need a new head coach, figured there should be a discussion thread for each candidate that has been announced on the Redskin's interview list.

I enter this thread with full acknowledgement that there are plenty of important aspects of being a successful Head Coach that from our vantage point we cannot know first hand.
Important aspects like leadership, communication, perspicasity.....aspects that for the most part are unknowable as fan view 10,000 miles removed.

With that being sad lets press on......

My hope is that we can discuss the candidates on terms we have direct knowledge about: how our team or offense or defense might/could look schematically with each candidate as HC.

To begin (as objective as I can) an overview with a pro/con:

Jim Caldwell:

fe9429db415368ca5856e6455aff1c13.jpg?ito

Iowa
(graduate assistant)
Southern Illinois
(wide receivers coach)
Northwestern
(assistant - offense)
Colorado
(wide receivers coach)
Louisville
(wide receivers coach)
Penn State
(quarterbacks coach)
Wake Forest
(head coach)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
(quarterbacks coach)
Indianapolis Colts
(quarterbacks coach &
assistant head coach)
Indianapolis Colts
(head coach)
Baltimore Ravens
(quarterbacks coach)
(offensive coordinator)

Regular season 26–22 (.542)
Postseason 2–2 (.500)

Caldwell had one of the best debut seasons for a head coach in NFL history, finishing with a 14–2 record. The Colts rushed out to a 14–0 start. With the AFC South title and the top seed in the AFC playoffs secured, Caldwell opted (on orders from then GM, Bill Polian) to sit out his starting players the last two games of the season (both losses), drawing controversy to him and the team.[3] He later won his first playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens on January 16, 2010. On January 24, 2010, Caldwell became the 5th rookie head coach to lead his team to the Super Bowl with a 30–17 victory over the New York Jets. Caldwell holds the NFL record for the best start by a rookie head coach, starting his career with 14 wins. The 14 wins also tied a franchise record.
On February 7, 2010, Caldwell's rookie season ended with a 31–17 loss in Super Bowl XLIV to the New Orleans Saints. In his second season the Colts reached the playoffs where they lost to the New York Jets 17–16 on January 8, 2011.
Going into the 2011 NFL season, it was announced that Caldwell's star quarterback, Peyton Manning, would likely miss the entire season. This contributed to the Colts going 2-14 and Caldwell's subsequent firing after the season.
Baltimore Ravens[edit]
Thirteen days after his dismissal from the Colts, Caldwell was named quarterbacks coach by the Baltimore Ravens on January 30, 2012.[4] On December 10, 2012 the Ravens dismissed Cam Cameron and named Caldwell the offensive coordinator.[5] On the day following the defeat of the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game, head coach John Harbaugh announced on January 22, 2013 that Caldwell would be the team's permanent offensive coordinator going into the 2013 season.[6] On February 3rd, 2013, Jim Caldwell helped lead the Baltimore offense to a 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII at the New Orleans Superdome.[7]

PROS:
o Has been a HC before proven he can manage a team, put in a tough spot being named Dungy successor and produced
o Strong background with QBs
o Worked with Payton Manning and witnessed how to raise a franchise QB
o Has ties to some good OC and QBs coaches Clyde Christiansen and Frank Reich
o Stepped in during a tough spot and played a critical role in the Ravens championship run that was less about Xs and Os and more about managing personalities once Cam and Joe bumped heads
o Worked with Tony Dungy
o Presided over some top offenses
o Developed Marlon Brown and a limited Ravens offense
o rare specimen that is probably a better HC then coordinator/play caller

CONS:
o doesn't put a lot of emphasis on the running game

o limited experience as playcaller would most likely require an OC that is a playcaller
o different system with different verbiaege
o as playcaller underwhelming
o worked with Payton Manning

Ravens 2013 Offense:
29th total offense
18th Passing offense
30th Rushing offense
25th Points

Offensive Tendency from 2013:

The Ravens go 3+ WRs a robust 89% of the time.

Caldwell/Flacco percentage of pass attempts:
57% in 4 Wide
31% in 3 Wide
83% of passes in Shotgun

Top Receivers:
Ravens: Torrey Smith 65, Marlon Brown (who) 49, Jacoby Jones 37, Dallas Clark 31, Ray Rice 58
(Redskins- Garcon 89, Reed 45, Hank 30, Moss 30, Helu 26)

Please no.  He is nothing but a figurehead for other people doing his job for him.  He was luck to have Manning call his plays and Ray Lewis find god.

And darrellgreenie your signature is a fail, takes up too much board space and is in violation of the rules.  Please change it.  Nobody wants to see it.

This is nice work, hope you keep doing it for all the coaches, but don't feel forced, lol.

Pertaining to Caldwell, I wouldn't be terribly excited if we hired him to say the least. Not angry, or even unhappy... just, meh. He'd probably be the least exciting hire, lol. But maybe that's a good thing.

Seems like he's best when "thrusted" into a role. We should've hired him midseason this year. :P  

Seriously, though, that means he does well under pressure and that he's well prepared. He's not caught off guard so to speak. I like him overall.    

Please no.  He is nothing but a figurehead for other people doing his job for him.  He was luck to have Manning call his plays and Ray Lewis find god.

And darrellgreenie your signature is a fail, takes up too much board space and is in violation of the rules.  Please change it.  Nobody wants to see it.

Has no clue.

I guess I struggle to understand the 'strong background with QBs" comments. If I was coaching Manning I would have a strong background too. And I don't think, and I could be very wrong, that Caldwell has had that much of an impact on Flacco. This would not be my pick, but if I had to, I would want to know who his choices for OC & DC would be prior to signing the deal.

One thing is that his QBs like him. I know part of the reason that Cameron was fired (other than just being bad) is that he was mad that Flacco was going to Caldwell for help instead of him. That may speak more to Cameron's negatives than Caldwell's positives but its something to take note of. He also did help to improve Flacco's fundamentals. Last year may be an aberration just because of the other things going on with the Ravens (how much they lost on offense for example). 

One negative on him though is that his offenses (Baltimore and Indy) have always depended on quick shifty backs and not a power guy like Morris. So we may have to do more of a rebuild with him. 

How does he even get consideration after those years in Wake Forest? Didn't he go one bowl game during his long tenure at WF?

I wouldn't base your opinion of him on his Wake Forest stint. No one wins at Wake Forest. In over 100 years of football they only have 10 bowl appearances. Its a small private school with high academic standards and the lowest football budget in the ACC. Its tough to win there.  

How does he even get consideration after those years in Wake Forest? Didn't he go one bowl game during his long tenure at WF?

I went to Wake (obviously). Hard to win there for sure. Our profile has been raised by Grobe recently, but a 5-win season was really good 10 years ago.

I'm also out on Gentleman Jim. Seems like he's been at the right place at the right time. I don't put that much stock in the Ravens numbers this year because I think he's a better team manager than coordinator, but I'd just like someone younger who also has a personality.

I would not be against this hire, however, my concerns (already stated) are his work with Peyton Manning.  I am not sure he had much to do with Peyton, we all know in Indy the OC was really a figurehead and Peyton was the true OC (rightfully so).  Baltmore's Offense wasn't impressive by any stretch of the imagination under him, however, Flacco is not your flashiest of QBs either.

I guess it would all depend on who he brought in as the OC and DC.

I don't fault him for Indy's 2-14 record either, he had NO BACKUP QB behind Peyton.  Of course, argument could still be made that he was the HC at the time. 

I still think we would be better served looking at younger and up and comers than retread HC.  I still like Bevell, Roman, or McDermott.  If we are looking at former HC as well, why not look at Whisenhunt?   I mean, this guy brougt the Arizona Freakin Cardinals to the Superbowl.

We need a new head coach, figured there should be a discussion thread for each candidate that has been announced on the Redskin's interview list.

I enter this thread with full acknowledgement that there are plenty of important aspects of being a successful Head Coach that from our vantage point we cannot know first hand.

Important aspects like leadership, communication, perspicasity.....aspects that for the most part are unknowable as fan view 10,000 miles removed.

With that being sad lets press on......

My hope is that we can discuss the candidates on terms we have direct knowledge about: how our team or offense or defense might/could look schematically with each candidate as HC.

To begin (as objective as I can) an overview with a pro/con:

Jim Caldwell:

fe9429db415368ca5856e6455aff1c13.jpg?ito

Iowa

(graduate assistant)

Southern Illinois

(wide receivers coach)

Northwestern

(assistant - offense)

Colorado

(wide receivers coach)

Louisville

(wide receivers coach)

Penn State

(quarterbacks coach)

Wake Forest

(head coach)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

(quarterbacks coach)

Indianapolis Colts

(quarterbacks coach &

assistant head coach)

Indianapolis Colts

(head coach)

Baltimore Ravens

(quarterbacks coach)

(offensive coordinator)

Regular season 26–22 (.542)

Postseason 2–2 (.500)

Caldwell had one of the best debut seasons for a head coach in NFL history, finishing with a 14–2 record. The Colts rushed out to a 14–0 start. With the AFC South title and the top seed in the AFC playoffs secured, Caldwell opted (on orders from then GM, Bill Polian) to sit out his starting players the last two games of the season (both losses), drawing controversy to him and the team.[3] He later won his first playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens on January 16, 2010. On January 24, 2010, Caldwell became the 5th rookie head coach to lead his team to the Super Bowl with a 30–17 victory over the New York Jets. Caldwell holds the NFL record for the best start by a rookie head coach, starting his career with 14 wins. The 14 wins also tied a franchise record.

On February 7, 2010, Caldwell's rookie season ended with a 31–17 loss in Super Bowl XLIV to the New Orleans Saints. In his second season the Colts reached the playoffs where they lost to the New York Jets 17–16 on January 8, 2011.

Going into the 2011 NFL season, it was announced that Caldwell's star quarterback, Peyton Manning, would likely miss the entire season. This contributed to the Colts going 2-14 and Caldwell's subsequent firing after the season.

Baltimore Ravens[edit]

Thirteen days after his dismissal from the Colts, Caldwell was named quarterbacks coach by the Baltimore Ravens on January 30, 2012.[4] On December 10, 2012 the Ravens dismissed Cam Cameron and named Caldwell the offensive coordinator.[5] On the day following the defeat of the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game, head coach John Harbaugh announced on January 22, 2013 that Caldwell would be the team's permanent offensive coordinator going into the 2013 season.[6] On February 3rd, 2013, Jim Caldwell helped lead the Baltimore offense to a 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII at the New Orleans Superdome.[7]

PROS:

o Has been a HC before proven he can manage a team, put in a tough spot being named Dungy successor and produced

o Strong background with QBs

o Worked with Payton Manning and witnessed how to raise a franchise QB

o Has ties to some good OC and QBs coaches Clyde Christiansen and Frank Reich

o Stepped in during a tough spot and played a critical role in the Ravens championship run that was less about Xs and Os and more about managing personalities once Cam and Joe bumped heads

o Worked with Tony Dungy

o Presided over some top offenses

o Developed Marlon Brown and a limited Ravens offense

o rare specimen that is probably a better HC then coordinator/play caller

CONS:

o doesn't put a lot of emphasis on the running game

o limited experience as playcaller would most likely require an OC that is a playcaller

o different system with different verbiaege

o as playcaller underwhelming

o worked with Payton Manning

Ravens 2013 Offense:

29th total offense

18th Passing offense

30th Rushing offense

25th Points

Offensive Tendency from 2013:

The Ravens go 3+ WRs a robust 89% of the time.

57% in 4 Wide

31% in 3 Wide

83% of passes in Shotgun

Top Receivers:

Ravens: Torrey Smith 65, Marlon Brown (who) 49, Jacoby Jones 37, Dallas Clark 31, Ray Rice 58

(Redskins- Garcon 89, Reed 45, Hank 30, Moss 30, Helu 26)

Dear God, NO, NO,  Big Wake fan here, took 9 losing seasons, just to dump him,  want say why it took 9 seasons, to dump him, but I rather have zorn than this guy.

sorry kinda went on a stream of consciousness tanget on Caldwell

One thing is that his QBs like him. I know part of the reason that Cameron was fired (other than just being bad) is that he was mad that Flacco was going to Caldwell for help instead of him. That may speak more to Cameron's negatives than Caldwell's positives but its something to take note of. He also did help to improve Flacco's fundamentals. Last year may be an aberration just because of the other things going on with the Ravens (how much they lost on offense for example). 

One negative on him though is that his offenses (Baltimore and Indy) have always depended on quick shifty backs and not a power guy like Morris. So we may have to do more of a rebuild with him.

Agreed. Living here in Baltimore I follow the Ravens a lil can't help it.
The word here was that Cameron didn't communicate well and Caldwell did.
Didn't seem like such a big deal then but relationship issues appear to big a reason for the regime change here.

Caldwell may make a better HC then OC.
IIRC last year was his first time as playcaller?
And as a playcaller he was able to get their QB in enough of a groove to win a SB, so despite what myself or other people think of his playcalling or ability as a coordinator that did happen.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/49235/how-joe-flaccos-big-arm-can-exploit-the-49ers-secondary

People, like myself, tend to lament his 'predicatbility' but his offense is about execution.*
This year Caldwell manages to get production seemingly out of thin air in regards to the Ravens receiving corps.
They spread it out and he keeps his backs involved in the passing game. His offense appears to spread it out and allow Flacco a chance to chunk the ball down field almost 40% of their passes are deeper then 11 yards. When it comes to arm talent Griffin is similar to Flacco and the style of offense could suit him:

57% in 4 Wide
31% in 3 Wide
83% of passes in Shotgun

Passing game/Flacco:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqwhjAnwgrc

As a HC he was handed the keys to a successful team and he was able to keep the ship going after a SB winning season, which isn't easy.
When it comes to the handling the relationships and the non-schematic aspects of being a HC it seems he has that part figured out.

But, my guess is that Caldwell (Don Coryell) will bring some people from his staff with the Colts and the most important hire being OC:
Clyde Christensen? Frank Reich? Tom Moore?

Great article on the Dungy Colts passing game:

The Colts’ offense was, structurally at least, among the simplest in the league for the entire time Manning was there. They used only a handful of formations — and almost always lined up Marvin Harrison (and later Pierre Garçon) split wide to the right and Reggie Wayne split wide to the left — ten or so core pass plays and just a couple of core runs. I know that sounds a little silly, especially since we’re constantly told that NFL playbooks are incredibly dense and huge and so on, but the Colts killed people with like fifteen, maybe twenty plays, and they did it for a decade. How? - See more at: http://smartfootball.com/offense/peyton-manning-and-tom-moores-indianapolis-colts-offense#sthash.TPSTMn3Z.dpuf

http://smartfootball.com/offense/peyton-manning-and-tom-moores-indianapolis-colts-offense#sthash.TPSTMn3Z.dpbs

I think Caldwell and his staff would build a very good passing game and help Griffin reach his full potential as a passer.
But, Caldwell doesn't get the most out of his running game and that could waste Morris talent IF they go away from the run.

The OL would be problem,(it will be with most new HC) but with a staff keen on the passing game were gonna need to upgrade the talent across the board.
The Dungy-Colts style of offense seems to require better WRs.

IF Caldwell was to have success it would appear it would come from his ability to communicate with organization and especially the QB.
Caldwell seems to have the hidden/behind the scenes or non-tactical aspects of being a HC locked down. IF the right staff is put together and with the right front office moves are made. The transition to Caldwell's scheme might take longer then with a WCO because of the different verbiage and concepts. But IF it Caldwell is successful it could yield a top notch (no-huddle) passing offense that features Griffin as the focal point.

As a Colts fan my initial reaction to hearing that Caldwell was HC candidate for Lions and Skins was to laugh. I, like most Colt fans, think very little of his time in Indy as a HC. He's really known for two things in Indy - his sideline demeanor (probably best described as rigor mortis) and poor in game management decisions (the timeout at the end of Colts / Jets playoff game being the best example). Most believe him to have been just a figure head hired primarily to maintain continuity after Dungy retired. It was the Peyton and Polian show in Indy.

On the positive side: 1) he's an experienced NFL coach that has been a big part of two SB victories and was HC of a SB participant, 2) he has a QB centric philosophy that is proven at the NFL level, 3) he lacks an ego and wouldn't be threaten by the credit given to RGIII (if winning) or his stardom, 4) wouldn't partake in any type of "circus" environment, 5) wouldn't want power over personnel decisions

Negatives: 1) history of poor in game decisions, 2) Polian and Peyton ran everything in Indy, so while experienced little is known about his ability to prepare the team during the week, 3) never seemed to be a great motivator, 4) appears dead on the sideline during games.

I honestly can't tell you he'd be a horrible hire, but I'd be very, very surprised if he was the best option. There is one thing that could change my opinion though and someone already mentioned it - Tom Moore. If Caldwell could promise me 2-3 years of Tom Moore as OC he would start to look like an attractive candidate. Moore is getting up there in age and is currently a consultant for Arians in Arizona. I don't know if he intends to coach again, but he knows his stuff and, IMO, would be a perfect tutor for RGIII. OCs don't come with much more of a proven track record than Tom Moore. I'd love to have him working with Luck right now.

Of all the known interviewees, this one is on the top of my "Please Say No" list. I have a very close friend who is a Colts fan, another close friend whose wife is a Colts fan, and a friend that went to Wake. Needless to say, I have had many conversations over the years about Caldwell, and with a couple of people whose football opinions I really trust. I have never had one moment or part of a conversation that left me with the thought that I would want him coaching my team. I can only hope that Allen feels the same way after interviewing him.

^^Easy buddy, back up off Tom Moore. I'm calling dibs!

After 10+ years he's a Colt - dibs don't apply! It's like common law marriage or something.

Can't see him returning to Indy at this point, so I'd actually like to see him in Washington. I know many skins fans are excited by the "new" offensive trends from guys like Briles, but IMO you can't do better than Tom Moore as OC. It would be exciting to me to see what he would develop for RGIII.

Archived