Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Barnwell, Grantland.com- "Gridlock in DC"

RIPSean

Spot on assessment of the season... I disagree about his assessment of the future. For starters, teams flip for better or worse from one season to the next a lot these days. Regardless of what happens with the coaching staff, this team could win or lose double-digit games next season for a lot of reasons (health, turnovers, good/bad luck). Yes, we have to offer a contract to Orakpo, but if London retires and Morgan is dropped that is a wash. I don't think the author has really looked at the salary breakdowns,

I am at the point where I am bracing for a coaching change, but so long as Haslett and Burns are shown the door, I am pleased. I go back and forth with the Shannys. I want RGIII to run less next year, both by design and on his own accord. Of his runs last night, it was 50/50 his decision/designed runs. He needs to learn to allow his athleticism to extend plays and find the open man, Kyle needs to embrace the idea of running less. What can we do with a full cap? Special teams depth should be possible, minimum of new OL on the right side, a safety, a DB, and a WR. Two of those needs could happen in the draft, the others have to be free agents.

Tragic we are discussing this on the second day of December, especially with the East so bad this year.

I think the difference between this team and te teams of the past is that this team will have the flexibility in cap room to go out and make moves.  They aren't carrying the burden of all those awful Cerrato contracts or a huge Haynesworth-less contract that bogs the team down.

Lets be honest, this team might have very well looked completely different in 2013, if they weren't so strapped in being able to go out and acquire quality players the last couple of seasons.

Instead of going after elite, they had to settle for players flying under the radar and hoped they elevated their play.  A lot of depth guys asked to step into starting roles immediately.

You saw in the Eagles game on Fox how much that 36 million could have bolstered this roster in a ton of positions. Doesn't mean we would have hit on every single signing, but the more you are able to wheel and deal, the higher pct you hit on some.

They will have flexibility in free agency for sure, but I'm tired of that route.

When is the last time we organically fortified and continued to produce talent at one position? You could argue that we have drafted and developed productive TEs for a decade...Cooley, Davis, and now Reed are all home grown. But other than that, it was probably the 1980s offensive line.

I want us to BUILD A TEAM the right way on both sides of the ball. Even our good units through the years were cobbled together for brief bursts. The Gregg Williams D was stout but it was built with FA vets. There wasn't some gameplan to establish a pipeline of talent for a number of years.

I know we need to use FA to some extent, but I just envy these teams who build a young core through the draft and then plug a couple holes with FA.

I think the difference between this team and te teams of the past is that this team will have the flexibility in cap room to go out and make moves.  They aren't carrying the burden of all those awful Cerrato contracts or a huge Haynesworth-less contract that bogs the team down.

Lets be honest, this team might have very well looked completely different in 2013, if they weren't so strapped in being able to go out and acquire quality players the last couple of seasons.

Shhhh!!!

Dissenters are burning believers at the stake at the mere mention of the thought!

I think its a pretty spot on article. I too am getting tired of the finger being pointed at RGIII. Its painfully obvious that The Skins have not put enough talent around him. Anyone watching can see that the offensive line is putrid and the secondary is seriously lacking. Its obvious that the "Bookend Pass Rushing LB's" of Orakpo and Kerrigan is good but not great. However, I have 2 points of contention with Barnwell on his analysis of the "Future".

The first problem I have is Barnwell's either lack of research with regards to the Redskins Cap Situation in 2014 and beyond or his complete over-estimation of the value of the Orakpo Contract and other contracts. Whether its one or both of those scenarios, doesn;t matter. Barnwell completely overplays his hand with his evaluation of the Skins Cap. The simple truth of the situation is the The SKins Cap in 2014 and beyond is probably one of the best situations in the entire NFL. Not only are we about reep a windfall of cap space in 2014 but, Orakpo's contract will not be nearly as cap crushing as anyone would have thought just 6 months ago. Then you also have to remove Fletcher, Morgan, Santana, and Wilson from the cap, too. When you couple the huge amount of cap space and the fact that Bruce Allen has proven very un-Cerrato like (he won't be blowing big dollars on has-beens), you have to come away with the reality that Washington is in TREMENDOUS position to rebuild and rebuild quickly those pats of the roster that need it. Barnwell also uses the extensions of RGIII, Kerrigan and Morris as a cap hit in his analysis....... is he kidding me?? Kerrigan will not get paid like an elite OLB, RB's don't nearly get paid as much as they did 10 years ago and RGIII's extension is still a couple years away. None of that will have a serious affect on our 2014 or 2015 flexibility.

The second issue I have is Barnwell joining along with the pack mentality of the media in pointing to the trade as a primary reason our roster needs a rebuild and why we can't do it quickly. I say that rationale is total hogwash! Correct me if I'm wrong but, giving away those picks only means we lost 2 PLAYERS........ TOTAL!! Well, this team is not 2 players away from contention. Now, this years pick will probably be a blue chip type player and that is something that would surely help. I don't want to discount the affect of not having those 2 first rounders. But, this is not the NBA. 1 rounders are not the be-all end-all method for fixing a roster. Hell, in the NFL those 1st rounders are no sure thing at all. Would you rather have Tyler Eiffert at TE (1st Round) or Jordan Reed (3rd Round) right now?? How many times have The Patriots completely traded out of the first round for more mid round picks? Dion Jordan sure as hell doesn't look like a blue chipper for the Dolphins right now. 1st rounders can be such a crap shoot. Look, the trade to get RGIII gave us a stud, franchise QB for the next 10 years!! You simply can't put a price on that! I'd do that deal again without blinking and, while the loss of the 2 first rounders does hamper us in rebuilding our O-Line and Secondary, the affect is not nearly as severe as the mediots are making it out to be.

I am at the point where I am bracing for a coaching change, but so long as Haslett and Burns are shown the door, I am pleased. I go back and forth with the Shannys. I want RGIII to run less next year, both by design and on his own accord. Of his runs last night, it was 50/50 his decision/designed runs. He needs to learn to allow his athleticism to extend plays and find the open man, Kyle needs to embrace the idea of running less. What can we do with a full cap? Special teams depth should be possible, minimum of new OL on the right side, a safety, a DB, and a WR. Two of those needs could happen in the draft, the others have to be free agents.

I've said this elsewhere but it's frustrating how give and take RGIII is. Not that it shouldn't have been expected. Funny that this article talks about Cam Newton - I've been saying that for a few weeks. Newton's phenomenal rookie season built unrealistic expectation for last year and he was absolutely torn apart for any and everything much like RGIII was this year. RGIII built similar, if not even more outlandish hype coming into this year - in fact it was more crazy because the guy had no offseason because it was all spent rehabbing. 

RGIII will get better but like I said, he is painstakingly give and take as he matures and gets better. Last night I was so relieved to see him read the defense a little and FINALLY take the check down, just taking what the defense gave him. But then he missed wide open receivers, most notably Helu behind the defense for a backbreaking TD, on a scramble drill, instead taking a small gain on the run for a first down. Perhaps the most frustrating thing is that he still refuses to get rid of the ball and take less hits. I'm not talking about passing. I'm talking about on the option plays. I don't care if the option guy is covered or not. As a QB who's had two ACL's, you do not fake the pitch and cut back inside. This is when I yell at the TV and call RGIII a dumbass. You pitch the ball. Period. And you do it earlier rather than later so you don't get obliterated. Let Garcon or Morris or Moss take the damn hit. Oh, and you sure as **** do not lead block for Aldrick Robinson on an end around. That's just plain ****ing stupid. Anyone with a brain can see every game that whatever you blame the Shanahan's for, RGIII taking hits should not be one of them. The guy continues to choose to take shot after shot. Plain and simple. I don't know if it's like he's so caught up in proving everyone wrong all the time and that he can take a hit and is healthy or what, but it needs to stop. 

Archived