Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andrew Luck Appreciation Thread

Bubble Screen

I love it! So 21 - 14 in the third is garbage time? 35 - 21 w/ over 9 mins left is garbage time? If you say so. I'll give you the last one. Doesn't change much.

As for YAC, yeah luck is 7th I believe this year at YAC per reception. Do me a favor and go look and see who was 1st and 3rd last year (while Luck was 20th). I'll give you a hint - the QBs for Carolina and Washington sucked last year and were unfairly helped by their receivers too. Ooh Carolina was 3rd the year before so that Carlonina QBs stats are really inflated!

Luck owns the rookie season yardage record, single game rookie yardage record, the 1st 2 year yardage record, went to a 2 win team and won 11 games his rookie year (most predicted them to be one of the worst teams in the league), is following it up with another likely 11 win season (most predicted them to fall back to 7 or 8 wins), and they own wins against 4 of the top 5 teams in the league this year where Luck has 6 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs and no turnovers. He (and the team) had a rough stretch after Wayne's injury. I challenge anybody to find me a QB throwing to a less experienced group of WRs / TEs than Luck has currently. I've said its on him to help make it work - and he has. The offense has started clicking again and he's getting a rhythm with Rogers, Brazil, and Whalen. All I can tell you is no one in Indy is clamoring for the backup QB - we are all perfectly happy with Luck. Go ahead and keep reaching for issues. - doesn't change a thing.

Where are you getting that Carolina was 3rd in the league in YAC last year?  Because I'm calling complete BS on that one... if it's true it would completely blow my mind because I haven't seen hardly any group of receivers that's as pathetic as ours when it comes to YAC.  You touch 'em and they go down.

Where are you getting that Carolina was 3rd in the league in YAC last year? Because I'm calling complete BS on that one... if it's true it would completely blow my mind because I haven't seen hardly any group of receivers that's as pathetic as ours when it comes to YAC. You touch 'em and they go down.

Actually Carolina was first last year and 3rd Cam's rookie year. This is on a yards after catch per reception basis. Using total YAC is misleading because of volume. To be clear, I'm not suggesting Cam and RGIII are bad because they had a lot of YAC yardage. I'm simply responding to someone that laughably tries to downplay Luck at every avenue. Like most stats YAC mean very little by themselves - they can be high for a dink and dunk QB that throws a high number of screens and passes close to the LOS or the could be the result of a QB hitting his receivers in stride. Certain types of WRs are better for YAC and, of course, scheme plays a huge roll.

Butter specifically wants to negate a catch and run that Donald Brown had from Lucks statistics. Of course I'm sure he doesnt want to do that for RGIII last year (high YAC and high percentage of throws near or behind LOS), but we aren't talking about RGIII - we are talking about Luck so YAC becomes a big issue. Never mind the fact the play he mentions was a good play by the QB (and a great play by Brown). Luck went through his progression and then dumped it off to his outlet. I'm not suggesting it was some great play, but it's indisputably good QB play. Or do we only count spectacular QB play? Threading the needle on the run between 3 defenders? I'd like to know the rules so I know how many of RGIIIs throws to receivers with nobody within 5 yards I should discount. They may have been good QB plays, but apparently we only count the spectacular.

Anyway, here is where I found them: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-yards-after-catch-statistics/2012/

That isn't the only site that has them, but it has it broke down per reception which IMO is more representative and the numbers I used. But as I said - I don't think by itself it means a damn thing.

Luck owns the rookie season yardage record, single game rookie yardage record, the 1st 2 year yardage record

You are flat out wrong on all three accounts. ESPN does a good job of telling white lies when talking about their golden boy.

rookie season yardage:

Andrew Luck: 4,629 yards

Cam Newton: 4,790 yards

rookie single game yardage:

Andrew Luck: 438 yards (433 pass, 5 rush)

Cam Newton: 485 yards (432 pass, 53 rush)

1st 2 season yardage:

Andrew Luck: 8,828 yards

Cam Newton: 9,400 yards

If you are talking about passing yardage only then you should clarify. Don't mislead like ESPN. Sure, Luck threw for 276 yards more than Cam his first two seasons. However, he also attempted 195 more passes & was worse in most passing categories. If you're gonna tell the story, tell the whole story.

rookie + sophomore stats:

Andrew Luck: 8,828 yards, 55 TD, 34 turnovers

Cam Newton: 9,400 yards, 62 TD, 34 turnovers

advanced stats:

Luck: 57%, 6.8 ypa, 8196 yd, 46 TD, 27 INT, 81.5

Cam: 59%, 7.9 ypa, 7,920 yd, 40 TD, 29 INT, 85.4

Luck: 5.1 ypa, 632 yd, 9 TD, 16 fumbles (7 lost)

Cam: 5.8 ypa, 1,447 yd, 22 TD, 15 fumbles (5 lost)

You are flat out wrong on all three accounts. ESPN does a good job of telling white lies when talking about their golden boy.

rookie season yardage:

1st 2 season yardage:

If you are talking about passing yardage only then you should clarify. Don't mislead like ESPN. Sure, Luck threw for 276 yards more than Cam his first two seasons. However, he also attempted 195 more passes & was worse in most passing categories. If you're gonna tell the story, tell the whole story.

advanced stats:

You got me - passing yards. And I've never said a damn thing about cam so I'm not sure what your point is. You want me to be specific - I'd ask you to pay attention to context. Or are you suggesting the stats indicate Cam is great and Luck is a bust?

You got me - passing yards. And I've never said a damn thing about cam so I'm not sure what your point is. You want me to be specific - I'd ask you to pay attention to context. Or are you suggesting the stats indicate Cam is great and Luck is a bust?

Luck is a very good young QB. I just think it's funny how the media force feeds the hype around him. He hasn't been great like they want everyone to believe.

At the same time all they do is criticize Cam, who has played better his first few seasons.

You're wasting your time discussing football with a Panther fan. I work with those bozos. Easily the most clueless and fair weather fans in the NFL.

Luck is a very good young QB. I just think it's funny how the media force feeds the hype around him. He hasn't been great like they want everyone to believe.

At the same time all they do is criticize Cam, who has played better his first few seasons.

I guess perception colors everything - I haven't really heard all the Luck "hype" other than around the Indy / Denver game. Otherwise it seems pretty low key to me. But as I said, perception colors everything. I do think there is some unfair criticism of Cam though just as I believe there has been some on RGIII. However neither has done themselves any favors IMO - both have had at least enough of a perception problem that they've been publicly called out by teammates. That will always feed the media fire. Luck and Wilson haven't had that and both have taken their teams to the playoffs both their years in the league - that doesn't leave too much room for criticism. Both are about as low key as you can get. I'm not suggesting that makes them better, but it certainly lowers the media profile.

As for Cam's abilities as a QB, he's a hell of a talent. There was an athleticism debate on all the QBs in one of these threads (either Luck or Cam thread) that I didn't bother commenting on. They can debate "athleticism" (mostly speed to them) all they want, physically Cam is the guy you'd start with. Big enough to take the pounding, but extremely fast and agile. Luck would be number two for me. However, by far the most important aspects of QB play are mental. Manning has great size, but very few great physical tools. Same for Brady. None of these young QBs will make it based on their physical abilities alone. It's a 4-5 year progression for these guys - they have to keep getting better. And that doesn't always relate to stats. I've admittedly seen less of Cam this year than I have Luck (obviously), RGIII, and Wilson, but it appears to me he matured a little from the adversity and criticism he faced last year. If that's truly the case, I doubt you'll continue to see the critisicm for much longer. Winning has a way of making that go away - or at least drives it way back into the background. Except on Internet forums - where it's almost universally accepted that opposing teams players all suck and are proped up by the media and their teammates. Just ask a few guys here. :)

Actually Carolina was first last year and 3rd Cam's rookie year. This is on a yards after catch per reception basis. Using total YAC is misleading because of volume. To be clear, I'm not suggesting Cam and RGIII are bad because they had a lot of YAC yardage. I'm simply responding to someone that laughably tries to downplay Luck at every avenue. Like most stats YAC mean very little by themselves - they can be high for a dink and dunk QB that throws a high number of screens and passes close to the LOS or the could be the result of a QB hitting his receivers in stride. Certain types of WRs are better for YAC and, of course, scheme plays a huge roll.

Butter specifically wants to negate a catch and run that Donald Brown had from Lucks statistics. Of course I'm sure he doesnt want to do that for RGIII last year (high YAC and high percentage of throws near or behind LOS), but we aren't talking about RGIII - we are talking about Luck so YAC becomes a big issue. Never mind the fact the play he mentions was a good play by the QB (and a great play by Brown). Luck went through his progression and then dumped it off to his outlet. I'm not suggesting it was some great play, but it's indisputably good QB play. Or do we only count spectacular QB play? Threading the needle on the run between 3 defenders? I'd like to know the rules so I know how many of RGIIIs throws to receivers with nobody within 5 yards I should discount. They may have been good QB plays, but apparently we only count the spectacular.

Anyway, here is where I found them: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-yards-after-catch-statistics/2012/

That isn't the only site that has them, but it has it broke down per reception which IMO is more representative and the numbers I used. But as I said - I don't think by itself it means a damn thing.

Well I'm surprised at that to say the least, because I honestly have no idea how we're ranked that high.  Honestly my only guess is it's because of the sheer amount of downfield shots that Cam took in his first 2 years (led the league his rookie year and near the top in 2012 IIRC) that skews that stat since his receivers usually have a good open field to run after the catch.  I think we were the most explosive offense those two years of plays 20+ yards or more.

Seriously, watch some Panthers games some time though and see what I'm talking about with our receivers... they do him little to no favors when it comes to catching the ball (be it going back for it, fighting for it, jumping for it, etc.) and making something happen with it after the catch (breaking tackles, making defenders miss, etc.).  The exception is the rare Deangelo screen where he breaks one loose... but that doesn't happen often, and he has far more instances where he's tackled for a loss or no gain.

Props on providing a link though, but I'm just gonna have to say it's a little misleading.  I watch other team's games all the time and see how their receivers, etc. work for the ball and fight after catch just in envy just wishing we had that.  Steve Smith used to be one of the best at it, but he's an old man now and a shell of his former self.

rookie season yardage:

1st 2 season yardage:

advanced stats:

Cam is just a beast. Plain and simple!

Luck will be a bust once he's in his contract year. Because of what Cam is doing right now with the Panthers next year is gonna be a pivotal year for him. Because there no such thing as a junior slump Luck will be expected to carry the team and not just a participant in order get the big contract. Management will start low-balling him by leaking infos about his inefficiencies. Like how he's struggles at the beginning of games. People will not tolerate excuses as to why he has difficulty completing 60% of his passes in a dorm. For a guy who doesn't bring much other skill set to the table the least he can do is complete a high percentage of his passes. Only a few players can survive this league not being able to complete 60% of their passes. One of them is Mike Vick and it's because he does so much with his leg. He could miss a wide open guy on 1st&10 but come back and pick up 8 yards with his leg on 2nd. Luck doesn't have that.

Also, part of the reason Luck will bust is the Texans will probably recapture the division next year once they get their QB. Where does that leave the Colts?  Probably out of the playoffs. Out of the playoffs with the a 3rd year QB not completing 60% of his passes can be hard to swallow by the media and fans. Especially for a guy deemed the greatest QB prospect ever. Luck will be on the bench before he complete his 4th year.

Well, I have to say I am excited to see Luck play this Saturday. I'm actually excited to see how the Sophmore QB's + Kaep will handle the playoffs this season (wish Griffin could be in too) and how Cam will play in his first.  

Luck's stat for this game is going to be 17-42 217 yards. And most of those yards will come through garbage time. The final score will be 34-17(from a garbage time TD). Will take 5 sacks and miss a bunch of open receivers. And the excuses will pile up like: No OL, WR, defense. Lol, that's a whole team right there. But people will forget that's the same team the Colts beat with those same personnel.

In the 2014 season the Colts will start 0-4 and the excuse will be they didn't have their 1st round pick(it's already on the team, Richardson). And that's where the benching of RG3 last year will start biting Luck. When RG3 underperformed for a horrible team it was all his fault and now Luck, in his 3rd year, stinking up is everyone else's? Don't think so.

Luck's stat for this game is going to be 17-42 217 yards. And most of those yards will come through garbage time. The final score will be 34-17(from a garbage time TD). Will take 5 sacks and miss a bunch of open receivers. And the excuses will pile up like: No OL, WR, defense. Lol, that's a whole team right there. But people will forget that's the same team the Colts beat with those same personnel.

In the 2014 season the Colts will start 0-4 and the excuse will be they didn't have their 1st round pick(it's already on the team, Richardson). And that's where the benching of RG3 last year will start biting Luck. When RG3 underperformed for a horrible team it was all his fault and now Luck, in his 3rd year, stinking up is everyone else's? Don't think so.

You are pretty hell bent in your hatred towards Luck man.  At least I started giving Cam props when he made the plays he needed to as they racked up wins.  

If they have issues as far as Oline, WR, defense, RB, etc. then they have issues.  Its hard enough to win a game in the NFL, much less beat a team twice, you should know this.  Hell our Redskins suck but they manage to rack up wins on teams over the years that make the playoffs, or win the Super Bowl.  You know the old sayin, "Any Given Sunday".

The Panthers had a great year, Cam had a great year.  In comparing both teams though, you know for a fact that Carolina has the edge at almost every position right?  They have the #2 defense, #4 special teams, a better oline, star WR (Colts had this until Wayne got injured), better running game (Cam + Tolbert + Williams/Stewart).  

I said all along, I wanted to see Cam win and become more consistent and he has this year.  Props to him.  Is he better than Luck right now, this year.  I would say YES.  But to say Luck is a bust and has no more upside is just silly man, even for you.  

Whether or not people like Andrew Luck it's hard to put blame on him for this debacle so far from the Colts.

It's already 24-7 early in the 2nd quarter and the Colts are on the verge of being blown out.

At this point in the game Luck is 7-9 for 74 yards, 1 TD and 0 INT with a QB rating of 138.

Talk about a team letting their QB down wow.  Now the Colts will be in must pass mode which will allow the Chiefs to rear back and rush the passer...

sucks for luck that hes the reason theyre down so far, but am loving the way the colt fans are feeling right now, getting blown out at home.. like luck but hate colt fans... a bunch of mega assholes if there ever were any.

suck it colt nation

Man, skins fans have a lot of hate......

Man, skins fans have a lot of hate......

It's not all of us.  Honestly, I dont understand the insecurity with our fan base when it comes to Luck's success.  It obviously has to do with the fact that he's done well, is viewed as a top-tier QB, and RG3 is not.  I mean, its early in both of their careers so there's still time, and it's unfortunate that they were picked next to each other because I think many in our fan base will always look at Luck through that lens.  I have no qualms admitting that Luck is simply a much, much better QB than RG3 at the moment, though I think RG3 had a better rookie campaign and may still have a better career if the right things fall in place, but there's no guarantee.

Archived