Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Redskins Make Roster Moves

TK

For Immediate Release

November 12, 2013

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed wide receiver Nick Williams to the team’s active roster from its practice squad. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. In addition, the team signed running back Davin Meggett to its practice squad and placed running back Chris Thompson on the Reserve/Injured list.

Williams (5-10, 184) was originally signed by the Redskins as a college free agent on May 2, 2013. After being waived on Aug. 31, the team added him to its practice squad on Sept. 1.

He played collegiately at UConn, where he earned first-team All-Big East honors at punt returner as a senior in 2012 after returning 21 punts for an average of 12.0 yards and two touchdowns. Two years earlier, Williams led the Football Bowl Subdivision in kickoff return average, finishing the 2010 season with a 35.3-yard average. His 2,045 career kickoff return yards at UConn are a school record.

Williams, 22, attended The Hun School in Princeton, N.J., where he earned all-conference honors on both offense and defense as a junior and senior. He was born on Nov. 23, 1990.

Meggett (5-8, 219) was originally signed by the Houston Texans as a college free agent on May 14, 2012. He spent the majority of the 2012 season on the Texans’ practice squad before signing to the Indianapolis Colts’ practice squad on Dec. 11, 2012. He was released by the Colts on Aug. 25, 2013, before signing to the Dallas’ Cowboys practice squad on Oct. 15. He was released by the Cowboys on Oct. 29.

Meggett, 23, played collegiately at Maryland, where he played in 50 career games with 17 starts, carrying the ball 485 times for 2,411 rushing yards with 18 rushing touchdowns and catching 46 passes for 454 yards and two receiving touchdowns.

Meggett attended Surrattsville H.S. in Clinton, Md., where he was a first-team All-Prince George’s County, all-met and all-league selection in 2007. He was born on March 22, 1990. His father, Dave, played in the NFL for the New York Giants (1989-94), New England Patriots (1995-97) and New York Jets (1998).

Thompson, 23, was drafted by the Redskins in the fifth round (154th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft. He appeared in Washington’s first four games this season, returning seven punts for 36 yards (5.1 avg.) and eight kickoffs for 160 yards (20.0 avg.).

I wonder if Williams will get some playing time. Kick returner maybe?

I'm assuming that's why he was activated off the practice squad. I'd like to see him return punts and kickoffs. Sounds like he excelled at both in college.

I wouldn't mind seeing what he's got as a slot guy too.

Interesting, so if Williams is active on gameday, who's getting deactivated?

That's actually a very intriguing question. Aside from who may get deactivated, Fred Davis can pretty much assume he won't be active another game the rest of the year barring injury. I'm wondering if they wouldn't consider deactivating Morgan. It seems that he's been replaced in many of the offensive plays where he lined up or motioned into the backfield. If all he's really seeing is a few offensive snaps and special teams at this point, I would be more than happy to see Hankerson take over the remaining reps on offense and Williams be given a chance at least a punt returner if not kickoffs too.

That's actually a very intriguing question. Aside from who may get deactivated, Fred Davis can pretty much assume he won't be active another game the rest of the year barring injury. I'm wondering if they wouldn't consider deactivating Morgan. It seems that he's been replaced in many of the offensive plays where he lined up or motioned into the backfield. If all he's really seeing is a few offensive snaps and special teams at this point, I would be more than happy to see Hankerson take over the remaining reps on offense and Williams be given a chance at least a punt returner if not kickoffs too.

My inactive list would be: Fred Davis, Rex Grossman, Josh LeRibeus,  Chris Neild, Trenton Robinson, Evan Royster and either Darryl Tapp or Brandon Jenkins

Royster isn't seeing the field at all and if someone gets hurt Young can take a few carries

Archived