Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching Afraid...

Burgold

When Kyle goes for the jugular, people get pissed that we don't run the ball more. I would say that if anything Kyle is overly aggressive, and definitely not "scared" in the least.

Haslett doesn't have a great scheme, and he doesn't have great personnel either. I would be scared if I was him too.

And anyone who says you "absolutely" go for it on 4th and goal from the one on an opening drive on the road, plays too much Madden. You should take the points. I'm not saying going for it there is crazy, because it's not, but I don't think kicking a FG in that situation is a questionable move at all. Going for it would be much more questionable.

When Kyle goes for the jugular, people get pissed that we don't run the ball more. I would say that if anything Kyle is overly aggressive, and definitely not "scared" in the least.

Haslett doesn't have a great scheme, and he doesn't have great personnel either. I would be scared if I was him too.

And anyone who says you "absolutely" go for it on 4th and goal from the one on an opening drive on the road, plays too much Madden. You should take the points. I'm not saying going for it there is crazy, because it's not, but I don't think kicking a FG in that situation is a questionable move at all. Going for it would be much more questionable.

I agree with you on Kyle is too aggressive, but he is doing the aggressive part with the pass. The Redskins strength is the running game. I feel like that is where the problem is. The most aggressive form of football is running the ball down a team's throat.

Would you go for it on 4th and goal Sunday against the Iggles? This is an absolute most win game. No win Sunday no paloff chance.

Hail

I completely disagree with this post.

In regards to kicking off to a returner that is averaging 38 yards per return. Patterson returned one 109 yards from 9 yards deep. Not many kickers can kick it through the end zone or else Pattersons average wouldn't be 38 yards per return. This was strategy and good strategy and we kept him in check.

This game was lost by the defense and only the defense. Yes we could have scored more points in the second half, but we have to give some credit to the Vikings for stopping us. Kyle is a very aggressive OC and is not taking his foot off the gas.

nah ... team loss

ST put the D in crappy field positions

D folded

O didn't come out for the 2nd half

any one of these plays an complete "good" game and we might have won

nah ... team loss

ST put the D in crappy field positions

D folded

O didn't come out for the 2nd half

any one of these plays an complete "good" game and we might have won

Pretty much.

The D played scared in the Minny game from the standpoint that they played to contain Peterson. Of course the zone D meant we got killed by the pass.

Yep. I expected us to play more zone to keep eyes on Peterson and that's what we seemed to do. Just unfortunate that we get destroyed playing zone.

But it if ain't working, you should change it up.  Clearly, the entire game and, heck, the entire season it hasn't been working

But it if ain't working, you should change it up. Clearly, the entire game and, heck, the entire season it hasn't been working

Hmm, well they moved from zone to press man (game 3/4?)and then seemed to switch it back for last game (to combat Peterson). They did a good job vs the run, but got torched by the pass. Have to think if we switched things up to limit the pass then Peterson would have gone off. Haz probably hoped that Ponder wouldn't be able to sustain his play... unfortunately he did. As I've said before, my biggest beef with the play calling was on 3rd and long - gave up way too many 1sts.

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually pretty impressed by the run defense yesterday.  Haslett went all in on stopping the run and pretty much did.  The O went about as conservative as you could get.  New safeties or corners rarely tested.  Mind you, the line was utterly dominated, but that was was a really timid gameplan.

The saddest part of all this is that this team is so pathetically bad at so many levels we are likely to be pretty horrible for a long long time.

Just a thought.  They mentioned that we have the lightest offensive line in the NFL.  I have noticed this about our team for a while.  We are just small.  Our lines are small and our receivers and cornerbacks (with the exception of Garcon) look like 12 year old boys out there.  What is it about this coaching staff that has such a penchant for small players while other teams go after the Megatrons?

One other thought.  How is it that a man with RG3's speed is constantly being run down by 325 pound linemen?  Knee brace I know, but c'mon.

Ok, one more.  What is it about our pass defense that we NEVER LOOK BACK FOR THE BALL?  There were a number of passes that could have been easy picks last night if we had just looked back for the ball when their receiver looked up for the catch.  Wilson is the worst at this.  He NEVER looks back, just flails his arms hoping to get lucky.  Is this being coached?  How the hell do they not watch film and the coaches scream, "Look back for the damned ball!" 

In the entire game last night I think I saw RG3 hit just one pass to a receiver in stride.  Every other pass was either high or short.  Seriously, these are not the passing skills of even an average NFL QB.  Also, on a blitz when was the last time we hit a back with a quick release across the middle.  Every other team owns us with this play.  We NEVER do it.

I was actually pretty impressed by the run defense yesterday.  Haslett went all in on stopping the run and pretty much did.  The O went about as conservative as you could get.  New safeties or corners rarely tested.  Mind you, the line was utterly dominated, but that was was a really timid gameplan.

While the run D was good....I just wonder about that strategy as we are not good in the secondary....or even with getting constant pressure on the QB (i.e. sacks and knock downs).....yet we tell offenses that we would prefer that they throw the ball.  Now, most NFL offenses are certainly going to do that anyway.....but we allowed Kap to throw to many times to wide open receivers....and oh, by the way, they have receivers whose size makes our CB's look like boys playing men.  And their receivers normally catch the ball if it is anywhere around them.

In the entire game last night I think I saw RG3 hit just one pass to a receiver in stride.  Every other pass was either high or short.  Seriously, these are not the passing skills of even an average NFL QB.  Also, on a blitz when was the last time we hit a back with a quick release across the middle.  Every other team owns us with this play.  We NEVER do it.

I saw Kap make some bad throws as well. Difference was that his receivers were normally wide open...and Davis and Boldin can just go up and take the ball regardless of where it is......they are studs.  Heck, Kap overthrew Davis in the 3rd or 4th qtr as Davis was running wide open down middle of field. Would have been an easy TD.  Think they ended up with a FG on that.

Kyle looked afraid again last night. 

It looks like the game plan was to run Morris/Helu the tough yards, right into the meat of their defense, throw bubble screens / outs to Garcon/Morgan, and one deep ball to Robinson per half.  Uber conservative on the big stage and home fans, to save the season; maybe the least dynamic game plan ever.  Paul and Paulsen lined up in the backfield with RG3 is just a head scratcher. The 49ers must have been laughing at that package, and those 2 blocking dummy's as a vital part of our game plan all night long. I understand Kyle may think he has to keep it simple for Robert, but its dumb to think ft. those 2 blocking TEs flanking him all night long, is what RG3 needed.

Afraid to use hurry up for more than a few plays every other game. And once again, despite our feeble offense, it led to points once again. Anyone have some success numbers on mid game turbo for us?

Special teams, playing afraid to block FGs down 3 scores late. Really. Do they need to hire me as a consultant to tell Burns to take our tallest player/biggest leaper, line him up as close to center as allowed, and try to block a kick?  I have never seen a team abhor jumping to block kicks up the gut. Playing afraid of the fake all year. We did appear to try to block a punt with ~2 minutes left. Good one.

Haslet didn't seem too scared last night, but once it became apparent that Kap WAS going to beat 9 toe with his arm, and that our offense suuuuuuuuuuucked yet again, we needed to dial up pressure do or die, to try and force turnovers to get a TD.  Was probably afraid to try to win the game for us, and show up the coaches son.

This is the reason why it might be a really good idea to sit RGIII.  Not as punishment, not as demotion, but because I think he is in danger of getting David Carred or Ramseyed.  After a certain number of hits, the qb begins to panic.  You can even see it happen in single games to great qbs like Brady, but if over a season, the QB is smacked on every single play, it gets into his head and it hurts his overall play.

RGIII is a far better qb than he is showing us right now.  What we saw in college and what we saw last year was not an illusion.  Right now, RGIII has a tough time hitting wide open receivers.  That's physical or mental... I worry that it could become permanent.

He still can be a great qb.  Just not with this line.  Just not right now.

RG3 is likely playing afraid of his career ending, in case anyone wonders why he is so off at times. He is afraid his OL is not going to protect him and quite frankly, I am afraid of the same. Its magnified by Kyle limiting him to the pocket requiring to hold the ball until the long slow developing routes open up. He seems afraid of throwing INTs and thus does hold the ball too long. Limited to the pocket probably more than ever in his career, I think he is afraid of groundings.

If you noticed, on those quick passes to Garcon and Morgan, RG3 was on target. His injury risk, minimized. He is an accurate passer. Our pocket is anything but that.

I think one time this season, he was fully able to step up proper, the seas finally parted, and he actually RAN up, and over threw Robinson, who had pulled up. I really hate that our OL can only create a gaping hole up the gut, but once a year.

Our OL is one dimensional, and I am scared on every 3rd and 1 more than ever before as a Skins fan. I am also afraid to see those Helu up the gut calls on 4th and 2, its like we are trying to make him Portis II RIggo III

Our OL is so lame, that we are afraid to call a QB sneak. We have not called one all year, as I safely predicted. If you have no confidence to run that play, you are forced to coach afraid.

Ok first 3 and out of the game with 0 touches for Alfred Morris??!! On a cold Nov. night .. man get the blood flowing and call a run play, and set the TONE.  At this point with the cold weather and all, I would call a run play at least 90% of the time to Morris, or the option with RG3 on first down ... you might call it predictable, I would call it Redskins football, this team has 0 identity on offense, problem with that is, we're actually a decent RUNNING team.  Secondly I'm not a fan of pulling Alfred Morris out near the redzone what the heck is up with that?  I get that Helu is a better pass catcher out of the backfield, and it helps on RB draws and such, but with Morris as a legit run threat, the oppositions front have to hold their gaps and cant just rush the passer??!! This isn't meant to be a knock on Helu, but Morris deserves to get his touches. Secondly i get the bubble screen is good play design, but its called entirely too often last night as the designed play, maybe a couple times a game, otherwise it should be a quick read of the defense and audible, rather than the actual play called in. Finally if Aldrick Robinson, I dont know, can he actually run routes other than going deep? Even when he's open are we really confident in his ability to catch the ball? if he's so fast why doesnt he get a chance to return kicks? 

The thing about putting Helu in as our hands back, is that we should actually be throwing the ball to him.

The way we are using him, is more like a goal line back.

It boggles the mind. Kyle is afraid to call passing plays to his hands back, and is afraid to use Almo as his short yardage back.

If he thinks he is fooling defenses, he is fooling himself.

I wonder if Kyle asks Mike if they can gloss over that horrid 4th and 2 Helu run up the gut call in the next meeting. Daaaad. Mooooom!

Archived