Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All-22: Breaking Down Alfred Morris Vs The Dallas Cowboys

Lavarleap56

Twitter and the message boards have been buzzing about: Whats wrong with Alfred Morris? Well we have plenty of time to talk about it but let’s take an All-22 look at Alfred Morris in the run game vs the Dallas Cowboys.

1a.jpg- Pistol -Read Option: Morris follows the lead blocks of Paulsen and Young.

1b.jpg

- Ware chases Morris down from behind. Gain of 3 yards on the play.

2a.jpg

Click to Read More of the breakdowns on all Alfred's carries vs Dallas..Thanks

http://httr24-7.com/uncategorized/all-22-breaking-down-alfred-morris-vs-the-dallas-cowboys/

Really nice breakdown LL. Really enjoy the work you guys put in here and on twitter.

I know a lot of people have been saying this..and i love Morris and what he brings to the table. Very strong and powerful back but i wish he was faster. Really feel like last year and this year we missed a lot of opportunities b/c Morris cant make the 1 guy miss. I dont think we have the answer on the team right now b/c i feel the same way about Helu. He's fast but imo he's straight line fast. We need a quick back. Maybe we can grab one in the draft this year. idk.

But good job as always.  

My first impression watching the game was why are we doing so much inside zone/ read-option dive as opposed to our bread and butter outside zone?

Where did the toss/pitch play disappear to?

Well, they weren't on their own 2. :D

Maybe someone has more knowledge on this, but how much/is RGIII allowed to audible/change plays at the LOS?

Personally, I think alot of Morris' issues are with the lack of the passing game of RGIII; defenses are fronting up to stop the run and daring him to beat them through the air.  But when receivers are running INTO coverage instead of getting open/available, RGIII has nowhere to throw. Its a chain reaction fustercluck...

I thought it to myself during the game and I'll say the same thing now having seen you break it down. This struggle in the running game had NOTHING to do with "lineman X is too Y" (slow, bad, small, etc).

I really feel that our struggles running the ball in this game were simply one thing, and I hate to admit it. This kid Lee is an absolute stud who may be the best MLB in the game before the end of the year. The guy knows our scheme because we play so often, he is really, really fast, he sheds blocks incredibly well, and he can wrap up and tackle, even on a bigger guy like Morris. 

Asking a guy like Chester to reach him at the second level is a double edged sword. If you pull it off, great. If he isn't quite that fast, well ****. On RG3's draw in the end zone, we had the scheme all manned up. Young even had great position on him, but the guy is a football player. He got down, made it a hard block for Young, made himself small, and knifed around and through the block to bring down RG3 short. Disappointing, but no shame in it. Other teams have good players sometimes. 

My first impression watching the game was why are we doing so much inside zone/ read-option dive as opposed to our bread and butter outside zone?

Where did the toss/pitch play disappear to?

Thought the same, really wasn't excited about the run plan. Think they had more success running from traditional sets. Dallas was putting 10 in the box at times vs some of the read option packages.. Think they need to find out whats working for them early in the game and roll with it, forcing too many things in the read game.

Really nice breakdown LL. Really enjoy the work you guys put in here and on twitter.

I know a lot of people have been saying this..and i love Morris and what he brings to the table. Very strong and powerful back but i wish he was faster. Really feel like last year and this year we missed a lot of opportunities b/c Morris cant make the 1 guy miss. I dont think we have the answer on the team right now b/c i feel the same way about Helu. He's fast but imo he's straight line fast. We need a quick back. Maybe we can grab one in the draft this year. idk.

But good job as always.  

I'm walking that line of Good RB that was balling in a fresh system last season. Watched side by side film of Morris and Foster all day yesterday, big talent gap between the 2.

Morris is averaging more YPC than any starting RB in the NFL. The issue isn't with Morris or speed, the issue is that he's not getting the ball enough, at least in my opinion.

Somewhat misleading but true.. Everyone likes Alf, that's not the question. But you're in denial if you think he isn't leaving yards on the field.

I thought Morris looked bad in preseason and in Week 1, but has looked much better since. With that said, there are a few times where there is a big hole but one guy just happens to get just enough of a touch on him to reduce his speed and prevent him from exploding for a huge run. I think it's because teams are stacking the box more due to RG3's inability to beat them over the top.

Somewhat misleading but true.. Everyone likes Alf, that's not the question. But you're in denial if you think he isn't leaving yards on the field.

I agree.  I've seen a few runs where he's about to break loose and get's tripped up from behind but I also feel like he's made a lot of his runs when absolutely nothing appeared to be available. 

I thought Morris looked bad in preseason and in Week 1, but has looked much better since. With that said, there are a few times where there is a big hole but one guy just happens to get just enough of a touch on him to reduce his speed and prevent him from exploding for a huge run. I think it's because teams are stacking the box more due to RG3's inability to beat them over the top.

Did Morris even play in preseason? I thought I read that he didn't at all. (I didn't watch more than 45 seconds of the preseason games, so this is actually a question...)

Teams are stacking the box because Kyle & Mike are making it easy for them to do so. Teams can stack the box easily If you have 11 offensive players packed in the middle of the field. Doesn't have anything to do with Rob.

I agree.  I've seen a few runs where he's about to break loose and get's tripped up from behind but I also feel like he's made a lot of his runs when absolutely nothing appeared to be available. 

I agree.. This was just an overview of the game, not a bench Morris article.

Morris is being blocked by the camera, but trust me he is there. I wanted to show this image because of the cut block by Morgan, he gets it done for a WR, position switch? The blocking scheme leaves the Cowboys best run defender unblocked..? Not to sure about this one.

This is the 3rd play broken down:

Haven't read through it all, and hard to tell without seeing pre-snap alignment, but if I had to bet, that one is on Trent Williams.

Looks like Lich and Monty should combo and then one peels to MLB.  That appears to be their plan, which would put Trent on the OLB.  Looks like Trent went straight to MLB, leaving OLB unblocked.

Just my guess.

Teams are stacking the box because Kyle & Mike are making it easy for them to do so. Teams can stack the box easily If you have 11 offensive players packed in the middle of the field. Doesn't have anything to do with Rob.

I agree.. This was just an overview of the game, not a bench Morris article.

I didn't take it that way.  I just think Morris is a damn good back.

Thought the same, really wasn't excited about the run plan. Think they had more success running from traditional sets. Dallas was putting 10 in the box at times vs some of the read option packages.. Think they need to find out whats working for them early in the game and roll with it, forcing too many things in the read game.

I'm walking that line of Good RB that was balling in a fresh system last season. Watched side by side film of Morris and Foster all day yesterday, big talent gap between the 2.

I'm gonna repost something from before the game because it sums up my thoughts on the run game at present:

-naturally I'm inclined towards the running game on 1st downs early in the game just for the sake of efficiency and sustaining drives and establishin/setting up other stuff BUT I would rather see I-pistol stretch/outside zone then inside zone or pistol toss (which has become a predictable staple run that rarely set-ups play action) our inside zone/runs have been getting stuffed and our read-option w/Griff as only a quasi threat invite 8 man fronts and make life difficult for Alf.... I've also noticed the classic Denver WCO stretch/boot-keep series from pistol work better then that other stuff

TLDR: establish pistol stretch/outside zone runs early which sets up boot action later

To my eye the bolded underlined^^ is almost exactly what happened.

I shudder to think that if couchcoach layman like ourselves can see it......

On Alf. I love Alf mainly because of his ability to run through contact and no nonsense almost fullbackesque running style. It allows him to power through some runs that could be losses or no gain and turn them into plus 1+ yards. That is huge for an offense like ours (one that is quick to lose faith in the running game). 

Now although I like Alf  I've always said that he's a limited runner overall. Imho I think Helu is actually the better overall RB. Imho if Helu saw some of the lanes that Morris had last year he would have been able to outrun more guys to make longer runs. Not to mention Helu's catching ability creates a greater threat on any down/distance. But Helu's issue in my eyes is that despite his size, he's a waif when it comes to durability. He hasn't proved he can carry the load over an extended period. Helu will use himself up. Morris however is tough as nails. And although he leaves yards out there due to lack of speed (and other reasons) he still a good runner in this system. The way I see it Morris is a better runner if the blocking is bad, but Helu can get more when the blocking is good.

Haven't read through it all, and hard to tell without seeing pre-snap alignment, but if I had to bet, that one is on Trent Williams.

Looks like Lich and Monty should combo and then one peels to MLB.  That appears to be their plan, which would put Trent on the OLB.  Looks like Trent went straight to MLB, leaving OLB unblocked.

Unless the plan was to triple team Lee, I agree with you.

I don't get a ton of value out of these pictures because I always want to know what happened a millisecond before the pic. It looks like our biggest problem is either simple mistakes or  that our TEs can't get to their blocks. Some of the pictures that say Lee or Ware is "shedding" a block looks more like they just beat their blocker to the spot.

On Pic 1, I assume that Ware is RGIII's guy to read, and it looks like he just ignored RGIII completely. But I don't remember the full play.

On Pic 3, it looks like Lee just made a great read.

On Pic 4, I agree with Major that a big mistake was made by Trent. I also think that 2012 Griffin keeps the ball there.

There's at least pics that show Reed unable to hold a block as you scroll down.

To me it looked like the cowboys sold out on tackling Morris in the zone read.  Basically the unblocked defender went for him every time.  That could just be my imagination, but it seemed like that's what they were doing.

There was some of that - Ware looks to be selling out against Morris in a few of these. I said in another thread that if teams don't fear RGIII keeping the ball, then we aren't really running a read option. We are running basic plays from a read zone look.

But I still think the bigger issue is that we didn't seem to be able to get to Lee. I don't think Lee was unblocked; I think his blocker rarely got to him in time. 

There was some of that - Ware looks to be selling out against Morris in a few of these. I said in another thread that if teams don't fear RGIII keeping the ball, then we aren't really running a read option. We are running basic plays from a read zone look.

But I still think the bigger issue is that we didn't seem to be able to get to Lee. I don't think Lee was unblocked; I think his blocker rarely got to him in time. 

I really think this is the long and short of it.

I look at those pics and to me, it doesn't matter who did what in regards to their man, because RG3 didn't actually utilize the read. Ware is crashing hard inside and going for Morris. Last year, RG3 keeps that ball and makes Ware look like a hockey player trying to get his skates right. I don't know if RG3 is missing the reads, or if he is choosing not to run as much, but it just isn't a threat in this manner.

First, appreciate the pics, and the commentary from the OP.  Breakdowns like this are what I really enjoy about forums and sites like this. 

I think the opposing teams are out to stop our run at all costs, and make Robert beat them with his arm....and think that many defenses really do not fear our WR corps either.  Kind of hard to tell from the pics how many are initially in the box, but seems to me on several pics I see 8 defenders. 

Morris is a good, hard running back, but definitely not a speed/elusive type back.  Don't think Helu is that either.  I thought CT may fill that speed back/playmaker role.....but apparently he is more of a project at this point in time. 

Robert started to make more runs like last season in the game vs dullass.  If he continues that trend, and can regain his accuracy, think that will facilitate a stronger run game with Morris......   

Just my guess.

Just my guess.

You would loose your money.. Kory was suppose to peel and get Lee but he was stuck on the DT. Trent was good.

I'm gonna repost something from before the game because it sums up my thoughts on the run game at present:

To my eye the bolded underlined^^ is almost exactly what happened.

I shudder to think that if couchcoach layman like ourselves can see it......

On Alf. I love Alf mainly because of his ability to run through contact and no nonsense almost fullbackesque running style. It allows him to power through some runs that could be losses or no gain and turn them into plus 1+ yards. That is huge for an offense like ours (one that is quick to lose faith in the running game). 

Now although I like Alf  I've always said that he's a limited runner overall. Imho I think Helu is actually the better overall RB. Imho if Helu saw some of the lanes that Morris had last year he would have been able to outrun more guys to make longer runs. Not to mention Helu's catching ability creates a greater threat on any down/distance. But Helu's issue in my eyes is that despite his size, he's a waif when it comes to durability. He hasn't proved he can carry the load over an extended period. Helu will use himself up. Morris however is tough as nails. And although he leaves yards out there due to lack of speed (and other reasons) he still a good runner in this system. The way I see it Morris is a better runner if the blocking is bad, but Helu can get more when the blocking is good.

Pretty much agree with you 100% on this. 

Archived