Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Fbi Shuts Alleged Online Drug Marketplace, Silk Road

jaybrant

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/02/us-crime-silkroad-raid-idUSBRE9910TR20131002

(Reuters) - U.S. law enforcement authorities have shut down "Silk Road," an anonymous Internet marketplace for illegal drugs like heroin and cocaine and criminal activities such as murder for hire, and arrested its alleged owner.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said Wednesday it arrested Silk Road owner, Ross William Ulbricht, 29, known online as "Dread Pirate Roberts," in San Francisco on Tuesday, according to court filings.

more at link.

Definitely worth a read.

Some crazy stuff in there. I have a feeling that this "DPR" might be going away for a little while.

There's a subreddit where people are complaining that they've lost thousands of dollars today. The most that I've seen someone complain about losing was $13,000.

I'm sorry but if you're dumb enough to keep a substantial amount of money on a shady drug website then you deserve to lose it.

So people were literally selling heroin to strangers on the internet? And people were having heroin shipped to their houses by other strangers?  That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It was wildly successful. 

http://gawker.com/feds-seize-underground-drug-market-silk-road-and-arrest-1440187908

According to the complaint, Silk Road was a massive business, doing in total $1.2 billion in sales and leading to $80 million in commissions

I had no idea that site existed.  It seems like a terrible idea that was doomed to fail from the start.  I wonder if the guy that ran it actually believed he'd get away with it when it was all said and done.  

They only took about 7% in commissions?!  That seems like an awfully small cut for taking on that much risk. 

They only took about 7% in commissions?!  That seems like an awfully small cut for taking on that much risk. 

Dude is sooooo going to cut a deal and give the feds whatever encryption keys and info they need.  People are so ****ed. Pretty funny really. In a sad way.

Tell me this dude isn't going to roll over when his lawyer tells him the best deal he can get him is 20 years?

rossulbricht.png

Dude is sooooo going to cut a deal and give the feds whatever encryption keys and info they need.  People are so ****ed. Pretty funny really. In a sad way.

Tell me this dude isn't going to roll over when his lawyer tells him the best deal he can get him is 20 years?

If true, he was willing to kill a guy to keep everyone safe but that's completely different. I guess we will see.

P.s. if they make a movie I can see the guy from Twilight playing him lol.

If true, he was willing to kill a guy to keep everyone safe but that's completely different. I guess we will see.

P.s. if they make a movie I can see the guy from Twilight playing him lol.

Eh, he was willing to kill a guy to keep getting paid. Now he's gonna be willing to bury everyone to save his ass. It's what people like him do.

Archived