Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Business: "rams-Skins Trade Bad For Everyone" No Winners

ballin2041

That was one of the stupidest articles I ever read. There was really no content at all. I guess it was one of those headlines that was meant to drive clicks because it did absolutely nothing else.

That was my same reaction: "this writer has absolutely nothing to say." Seriously, there is no point to be found in that article, if you want to call it an "article." It's more like a random blog post that anyone could type (not write, but "type") in 10 minutes, The modern news cycle thrives on the production of quick content because, when the content is published, it attracts clicks and ad revenue.

I agree 100% with this. Keep in mind guys this is a "objective 3rd party" who is only looking at it from a business stand point.

Put down you fandom for just one moment when you decide to argue this stuff.

How can you say the skins won anything when you are looking at a depleted roster, and now injured QB?  You make trades like this to win Super Bowls, not 7 game winning streaks.  :blink:

So, RG3 has sold more jerseys than any other rookie in history, and th Redskins sell out every game, still.

So in terms of business, that means big win.

UNLESS this guy thinks that the upcoming draft drought means that our team will get so bad that it will hurt sales...  and he only needs to look back over the last 15 years to see that the redskins, while one of the worst teams in the league in terms of record, coaching, overpaid players, lousy drafts, and overall fan malaise (we created a whole cottage idustry of media to criticize the team. Everywhere, every writer who wanted a cheap shot easy article, the Snyderatto skins were there, ready to oblige with plenty of bad to talk about.. they were a dartboard that is all bulls-eye.).. and they became one of the most valuable sports franchises on planet Earth, and the number one moneymaker in the NFL.

somehow I think this "business" writer ought to stick to parking cars.

not only is this article idiotic from a football standpoint, but from a business standpoint it's downright laughable.

Dan Snyder may still be learning football, but in terms of making money and being successful, he's got few peers.

~Bang

The argument--no doubt put forth by some stat geek--that RG3 needs to be as good as Tom Brady for the trade to be deemed a success is absolutely absurd. Do people value draft slots THAT much? So who wouldn't trade those draft slots to have a Pro Bowl caliber QB who is good but not necessarily first-ballot HOF material? If RGIII makes his team a playoff caliber squad in most years, the trade is easily a success. 

I had to stop when he said Luck had a poor receiving corp.  That's just straight wrong.

Then the assumption that 18-21-1 after the trade is a bad sign.  They were 20-44 the two years before the trade.  That's a massive improvement.  A financial expert who scoffs at a 44% gain in wins seems like one who is bad at finance.

What would have happened in the reverse?  The rams would have been bad everywhere and the redskins would have been bad at qb.  Of course the article operates completely in hindsight (A 3rd round qb is the answer at qb); it would have been similar to saying we should have drafted Tom Brady in the 5th round.

The #1 problem for the Rams is that they used a #1 overall pick on a QB and he still plays like a rookie 4 years in. For us it's a combination of things(cap penalty, RGIII coming back from major surgery, etc.) I'll wait a couple more years until I reach a final verdict on the trade.

He's still got zero weapons to work with though, 4 years in.  Where's his #1 WR?  Or #2 WR for that matter.  Their WR depth chart is highly suspect.  You think you're winning with Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, and Brian Quick?  Young receivers indeed, but I wouldn't be enthused going into a season with that group.  And that's the best it's been since Bradford's been there.  The Rams needed a guy like Garcon or Vincent Jackson when they were available.  They got Tavon Austin in the draft, but he's a complementary player and he hasn't really shown much yet.  And let's not speak of the running game, or lack thereof.  They're averaging 2.6 yards per carry rushing as a team.  Whoever's putting that team together might wanna rethink their strategy on offense.

Looking at it objectively, there aren't any winners YET unless you count getting more publicity a win.  Winning and losing in this deal are more than one playoff appearance.  Let's see how the next few years play out, ie, what we do with RG3, how he performs, what the Rams do, etc.

I disagree greatly with this assessment.

Our holes are not there because of the picks we missed out on for RG3. The holes are there, primarily, becuase of the multi-million dolar cap penalty that was placed on us the past two seasons.

Had we not suffered that penalty, the holes we had could've been filled much easier with higher quality stand in's. If we still had the penalty, but didn't draft RG3, I don't think we'd have been much better off "filling holes" with rookies. On top of that, I think without RG3 there to hide some deficiencies due to his athleticism I think we'd actually have MORE holes that would've "needed" to be filled.

Next year we get money back and those holes become filled, at which point we have a potential franchise QB and a good team around him. This pick wasn't for short term success, but for long term.

I don't think I explained my point well enough.  And perhaps that thought was a drive by post in reference to someone elses drive-by post above that said something about "SKINS WON THE TRADE" or something like that.   I dont assume or expect the team should win a superbowl in year one.  Thats absurd and I can understand your reaction lol.  

However, I think if you are forced to assign a grade to it right now you would be forced to say it is a lose-lose simply because neither team is winning football games.  It might take a few years to rebuild the defense, and there is no guarantee that RG3 will be as good as he was last year.  I do think he will improve, but I have a sneaking suspicion he will never be the same guy.

This is my problem with the article: It's not lose-lose, it's incomplete (Daniel Simpson Day... HAS no grade point average. All courses incomplete.) We made this trade for the long term--not to be analyzed after 20 games. Not to mention--as it was said before--we made this trade prior to the BS cap penalties from Mara. I think we still would have made the deal, but it certainly hurt our depth. 

This is a half informed article. It doesn't address the cap issues nor is it realistic. Thus far RGIII has out played Bradford career wise. For all the draft picks they've acquired it hasn't moved them any further along. But as people who actually understand football we know it doesn't all happen in one season. One player alone can't win you the SB but in this day and age not having that one player(QB) ensures that you won't.

Archived