Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Business: "rams-Skins Trade Bad For Everyone" No Winners

ballin2041

This is beyond ridiculous. RGIII was absolutely worth it and winning seven games in a row to make the playoffs is an incredible feat no matter who the opponents are. The Rams have used the picks they got from us wisely and RGIII has played pretty damn well for a guy coming off of a major knee injury. The Redskins parted with three firsts and a second to get RGIII, those picks easily could've ended up being just like Carlos Rogers, Laron Landry, Jason Campbell and Devin Thomas. All players who are no longer with the team and not one as valuable as a franchise QB. We made the correct choice and I still say the Rams would've dealt Bradford and picked Griffin if the salary implications for dumping Bradford weren't so dire.

His argument that the skins have holes everywhere.  He forgets we are down some 16 mil in cap money that would have easily filled some of those holes.

And BTW, St Louis has several receivers 2 Good ones that happen tobe rookies.  The problem is NFL offenses are often not fastly caught on by WRs.    

The #1 problem for the Rams is that they used a #1 overall pick on a QB and he still plays like a rookie 4 years in. For us it's a combination of things(cap penalty, RGIII coming back from major surgery, etc.) I'll wait a couple more years until I reach a final verdict on the trade.

In this day and age getting a QB is everything. The Cheifs last year had 6 pro bowl players. A good RB , a good wideout, and a talented defense. They couldn't pass the ball and were generally a terrible team. They added a good enough QB and a coach that can use him and they are much better. The raiders have been sold defensively and able to run the ball for years. How's that working out?

In this NFL teams build around a QB. The redskins clearly wouldn't have chosen to give up all those draft picks if they felt they could get the guy another way. They felt RG3 was that guy and they made it happen. They faced a unique situation and did what they felt they had to. No more Candles, Sex Cannons, or aging vets. As a skins fan tired of watching terrible QB play, I'm at peace with it.

RG3 will figure it out. He's running less, not even moving the pocket very much, and he had little to no offseason to go along with his injury. He's facing a tough road and it's going to take time. It would be nice if the team had a decent defense and I'm sure they'll eventually find a better DC and make better personnel decisions.

I agree 100% with this. Keep in mind guys this is a "objective 3rd party" who is only looking at it from a business stand point.

Put down you fandom for just one moment when you decide to argue this stuff.

How can you say the skins won anything when you are looking at a depleted roster, and now injured QB?  You make trades like this to win Super Bowls, not 7 game winning streaks.  :blink:

I agree 100% with this. Keep in mind guys this is a "objective 3rd party" who is only looking at it from a business stand point.

How can you say the skins won anything when you are looking at a depleted roster, and now injured QB?  You make trades like this to win Super Bowls, not 7 game winning streaks.  :blink:

From a business stand point RG3 puts fans in the seats and sells jerseys, lots of them. It's his 2nd year on the team, only 4 games in, and you're saying a Super Bowl should be happening already and that a 7 game win streak and division in title in his rookie year isn;t good enough? Ummm..... what?!? Your opinion suffers from the same flaw as the writer, neither of you is allowing enough time to pass to gain proper perspective and form a complete, informed judgement. We will not know the full impact of RG3 on this team for quite some time. This is just year 2. You do make trades like this to go after a Super Bowl, and winning your division year 1 and your pick winning rookie of the year is a great start. Now let's see if a Super Bowl happens, especially once the cap penalty crap is done. You slamming the team for not winning the Superbowl and belittling the 7 game win streak for division title is very foolish and setting the bar to a ridiculous height. Please tell me the last rookie QB who led his team to a Superbowl win, and then tell me how often it happens. 

I can see your point - but its way early to make a judgement. Lets see where we stand at the end of next season and you can START to take a position. Right now its premature at best.

The issue with the team isn't talent.

The issue is that Jim Haslett should not be coaching in the NFL above MAYBE a positional level and Mike Shanahan is too stubborn to can him. We don't have a bunch of D and F players on defense, we have 2 B+ players, a bunch of B players and then C to C- minus players with a few Ds. Our defense should be average to slightly below. Yet its historically bad. And Brockers and Jenkins wouldn't fix the systemic issues with the defense, which is that Haslett is a coach that makes millions to be worse than the average ES poster at running an NFL defense.

From a business stand point RG3 puts fans in the seats and sells jerseys, lots of them. It's his 2nd year on the team, only 4 games in, and you're saying a Super Bowl should be happening already and that a 7 game win streak and division in title in his rookie year isn;t good enough? Ummm..... what?!? Your opinion suffers from the same flaw as the writer, neither of you is allowing enough time to pass to gain proper perspective and form a complete, informed judgement. We will not know the full impact of RG3 on this team for quite some time. This is just year 2. You do make trades like this to go after a Super Bowl, and winning your division year 1 and your pick winning rookie of the year is a great start. Now let's see if a Super Bowl happens, especially once the cap penalty crap is done. You slamming the team for not winning the Superbowl and belittling the 7 game win streak for division title is very foolish and setting the bar to a ridiculous height. Please tell me the last rookie QB who led his team to a Superbowl win, and then tell me how often it happens. 

I don't think I explained my point well enough.  And perhaps that thought was a drive by post in reference to someone elses drive-by post above that said something about "SKINS WON THE TRADE" or something like that.   I dont assume or expect the team should win a superbowl in year one.  Thats absurd and I can understand your reaction lol.  

However, I think if you are forced to assign a grade to it right now you would be forced to say it is a lose-lose simply because neither team is winning football games.  It might take a few years to rebuild the defense, and there is no guarantee that RG3 will be as good as he was last year.  I do think he will improve, but I have a sneaking suspicion he will never be the same guy.

You can't dictate when a once in a generation talent will come through. This wasn't a 'win now' move to take us over the top right here, right now. This was the most important building brick in a whole roster overhaul of building bricks. 

The trade was made with the SB in mind. And hopefully many of. 

Just the transient society we live in wants those yesterday and aren't prepared to let the plan develop. 

Hail. 

This author is suffering from an acute case of premature evaluation.  It's not that the article is pure garbage, as some of you are advocating; it's that one year later is much too soon to make this kind of a sweeping judgment.  I will say this emphatically, however:  we certainly came out better making the trade than the Browns did, who balked and then traded up for Richardson and blew another 1st on Weeden.  Kudos, El Holm-bre 

With the $36M cap hit, we would have been hard pressed to pay 2 first round picks.  Look how we are struggling to pay aging vets.  Thank a few players for taking such huge cuts for the team.

Also kinda overlooks the entire 36 million cap loss when considering our depth issues

This is a side topic, but is it our depth that's the issue, or the starters?

Personally, I like our depth just about everywhere, but I feel like we need better starters in the secondary (and RT). If Polumbus, Rambo, Hall and/or Wilson, and Meriweather had more talented guys ahead of them (and they were backups or role players) I think we'd be in great shape. But they don't (they aren't) and we're not.

The cap hit could probably have been a starter at FS, CB, and RT.

This author is suffering from an acute case of premature evaluation.  It's not that the article is pure garbage, as some of you are advocating; it's that one year later is much too soon to make this kind of a sweeping judgment.  I will say this emphatically, however:  we certainly came out better making the trade than the Browns did, who balked and then traded up for Richardson and blew another 1st on Weeden.  Kudos, El Holm-bre 

You are, of course, correct.  However, their isn't really a market for articles evaluating business deals after the judgment is more or less obvious.  Do you think he could have gotten space in Forbes with this premise: "Five years later, Albert Haynesworth Pick Up Worth Somewhat Less than $100M"?  Or "Zorn Promotion Perhaps a Stretch"?

Of course, since there are probably a few believers left, those would be argued on ES as well.

Also kinda overlooks the entire 36 million cap loss when considering our depth issues

Why should a financial section take monetary considerations in to account. 

The issue is that Jim Haslett should not be coaching in the NFL above MAYBE a positional level and Mike Shanahan is too stubborn to can him. We don't have a bunch of D and F players on defense, we have 2 B+ players, a bunch of B players and then C to C- minus players with a few Ds. Our defense should be average to slightly below. Yet its historically bad. And Brockers and Jenkins wouldn't fix the systemic issues with the defense, which is that Haslett is a coach that makes millions to be worse than the average ES poster at running an NFL defense.

I certainly would feel more confident if KDawg ran out there on Sunday instead of Jim. 

Just skim to the last paragraph of this crap: 

"It's too early to tell if the Redskins will be able to rebuild what they tore down to acquire RGIII, or if the Rams will somehow find their quarterback of the future. But there are no winners in this trade right now."

Okay--thanks, Captain Obvious. 

It makes no sense though, tore down? How can you tear down something that was already condemned? McNabb, Grossman or Beck vs. RGIII and Cousins, that is like the Jeffersons moving on up to the east side. The failure in this is article is full, first it is in a business section and fails to take any of the positives of that in to account, RGIII's jersey sales, fan spending, the cap hit, etc. etc, etc. It was written by a fan of another team, it is obvious. 

gotta love modern media

snap reactions. pathetic.

no one will hold him accountable when he is eventually proven wrong for writing that bile either

no, Haslett is a bad defensive coordinator but this team does lack talent to be a top top team. Shouldnt be 0-3, mind you, but this team was never as good as we thought.

Archived