Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rg3 Interception Vs Lions -- A Second Look

ginsu101

No matter which way you objectively analysis that play, two things stand out ...

1/  It was a poor decision.   RG III should have thrown the ball away, and kept the drive alive.  He had 2 more downs to get the 1st down.

2/  He and the WRs, specifically, Pierre Garcon are not in sync.  A lot of the critical throws to Pierre on 3rd downs are off, and not where they should be. 

Well Shanahan was screaming something different after he watched the video and now I have to agree with Shanahan. Shanahan said initially during the game he was hot about the pass but once Shanahan watched the film and saw the play, Shanahan stated Robert was not the blame for that pass. I like everyone else was miffed at the pick and thought it was a bone headed pass until now I saw this angle. RG3 had another similar play in the Lions game when he was flushed out the pocket and threw the ball away so that leads me to believe he trusted Garcon to come back to the ball and make a play.

I remember watching it when it happened thinking that there is no way it should get picked because pg should be breaking back to teh ball. Then when it was, I was shocked. Then on the replays I still thought it seemed weired and that pg shouldve made a better play but I fell back because everyone was saying that RG3 was wrong. Now these pics show just what I suggested

I've got a question on the rules:  If Garcon is standing out of bounds and reaches over and touches the ball before the defender has complete control of the INT, is the play over?  Doesn't a play end when a loss ball either touches out of bounds or is touched by a player that is out of bounds? 

If so, has anyone seen if Garcon got a hand on the ball?  If he did, did he still have a foot out of bounds? 

I think this play just shows that the team needs to get a little more focused on what to do on broken down plays.

RGIII had a good pass lane, but he needed Garcon to come back.  I think he expected Garcon to come back, but Garcon expected RGIII to throw it away.  I think that's a communication breakdown that can be talked about in practice.

That's football 101 for a receiver though - when your QB is scrambling come back towards him. They coach that in High School. Garçon just thought RGIII was going down and would either eat it or throw it away and he relaxed. It's a lesson about playing hard to the whistle whatever.

I see nothing new. 1st down, Garcon (and everyone else) is covered.. Learn from the mistake, throw the ball away..

If a QB threw the ball away every time their #1 WR was covered 1 on 1,then the ball would spend more time out of bounds then in...

On second look, it still looks a massive gamble by 10 he didn't need to take on first down. Pierre should of been more alert no question, but Robert should of played the percentages. 

Stand by what i thought Sunday. Bad decision from the QB. 

Hail.

PG plays till the whistle and makes the catch, everyone praises RGIII for the great pass and decision to trust his #1 receiver...

When your offense needs a spark, you need to take risks, and quite honestly, knowing its 1 on 1 coverage, and most of the time PG makes that catch...percentages are in RGIII's favor....so he probably did play the percentages.

It's a first down play 

When your offense needs a spark, you need to take risks, and quite honestly, knowing its 1 on 1 coverage, and most of the time PG makes that catch...percentages are in RGIII's favor....so he probably did play the percentages.

The offense was on a pretty darn good drive, so there was no need to 'spark' anything. You've a first down, 10 yards or so from the RZ in FG range with Potters leg. The percentage play is to step out of bounds. 

Gona' have to agree to disagree on this one as for me that's a silly decision from Robert that didn't need the risk. 

Hail. 

It's a first down play 

The offense was on a pretty darn good drive, so there was no need to 'spark' anything. You've a first down, 10 yards or so from the RZ in FG range with Potters leg. The percentage play is to step out of bounds. 

Gona' have to agree to disagree on this one as for me that's a silly decision from Robert that didn't need the risk. 

Hail.

I don't care what down it is...you have your #1 receiver 1 on 1 odds are in your favor. Especially since PG has shown he can beat out an opponent 1 on 1. You say you play the percentages, well, it was favorable if PG didn't give up on the play.

Folks we have a QB that can make plays! It's what we've all prayed for!  But now some of the same fanse are saying " throw the ball away".. "throw it at the WR feet" .. Ok we've already been there and done that! Anybody remember Jason Campbell and John Beck??  The WR needs to make a play for the QB just like the CB made a play on the ball! Aaron Rogers throws those balls all the time and Jordy Nelson makes the play!  RG said it best.. " if its a completion its a great play, if its intercepted its a bad play".

A thread dedicated to the lone INT RG3 threw,............

Holy F'ing over analysis.

It's come to this now..

We have a superstar on the team now so everyone critisizes him for nothing. I'm glad the OP posted this to let people see that everything we as fans see are not how they really are!

A thread dedicated to the lone INT RG3 threw,............

Holy F'ing over analysis.

Our QB threw a pick deep in Lions territory, and we ended up losing the game by a touchdown. Of course it's being analyzed. Just like the fumble, and the TD bomb that was called back. Those are all game-changing plays.

I think when you have a playmaker like Griffin at QB you have to steel yourself for it occasionally being a double edge sword. Yes he has generally been very careful with the ball but these sort of decisions come with the territory. As long as he isn't making bad decisions to the point where its obviously a pattern then I'm ok with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blindly defending Griffin. He's made a few throws this season that never should have been made. This wasn't one of them though.

I think when youre on the verge of being tackled, and get spun around and carelessly throw the ball mid-spin, its a bad decision. but thats just me

I don't see how people can tell RG3 should have thrown it away. When he decided to throw Garcon was directly in front of Houston and 1 yard separation. Garcon Should always work his way back to the QB when he's scrambling. Even more so when the ball is in the air. He's getting paid 8 million a year not to assume crap but to play football at the highest level possible. That play right there wasnt playing at a high level at all. We can pay someone 1 million to just give up on a play.

Our QB threw a pick deep in Lions territory, and we ended up losing the game by a touchdown. Of course it's being analyzed. Just like the fumble, and the TD bomb that was called back. Those are all game-changing plays.

I don't understand the mindset that some have in here. We have a very promising, young QB so we're not allowed to ever admit that he made a mistake and shares some of the blame for the loss.

Aldrick cost us 7 points and Robert cost us between 6-14 points. It's OK, it happens, but we shouldn't pretend that every mistake was some ridiculous combination of bad luck and extenuating circumstances. By the time he got 5-7 yards from the sideline, he should have thrown the ball 50 feet over everyone's heads and out of bounds...2nd and 10 from the 19 and we go from there.

I don't understand the mindset that some have in here. We have a very promising, young QB so we're not allowed to ever admit that he made a mistake and shares some of the blame for the loss.

Aldrick cost us 7 points and Robert cost us between 6-14 points. It's OK, it happens, but we shouldn't pretend that every mistake was some ridiculous combination of bad luck and extenuating circumstances. By the time he got 5-7 yards from the sideline, he should have thrown the ball 50 feet over everyone's heads and out of bounds...2nd and 10 from the 19 and we go from there.

Its not so much that some of us aren't willing to admit when he makes a mistake, but at least from my standpoint, this was not his mistake.

I expect a playmaking QB to scramble to make a play out of nothing. I expect a playmaking QB to recognize that his #1 receiver is 1 on 1, and I would hope that he has enough faith in that #1 receiver that in a 1 on 1 situation he will give the receiver a chance to make a play. In this case, I fault PG for giving up on the play, and I have a feeling PG doesn't have the faith in RGIII this year...yet.

I would be more pissed if RGIII threw it away knowing he had PG in a 1 on 1 situation. I also GUARANTEE, that a lot of people who are railing against him for throwing it, would be railing against him for not trusting his receiver if they saw PG 1 on 1 and tossing it out of bounds....but we'll never know, and the ones who would do that would never speak up. But from reading peoples responses for years here...I know this is what would have happened.

This is a double edged sword...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Its not so much that some of us aren't willing to admit when he makes a mistake, but at least from my standpoint, this was not his mistake.

I expect a playmaking QB to scramble to make a play out of nothing. I expect a playmaking QB to recognize that his #1 receiver is 1 on 1, and I would hope that he has enough faith in that #1 receiver that in a 1 on 1 situation he will give the receiver a chance to make a play. In this case, I fault PG for giving up on the play, and I have a feeling PG doesn't have the faith in RGIII this year...yet.

I would be more pissed if RGIII threw it away knowing he had PG in a 1 on 1 situation. I also GUARANTEE, that a lot of people who are railing against him for throwing it, would be railing against him for not trusting his receiver if they saw PG 1 on 1 and tossing it out of bounds....but we'll never know, and the ones who would do that would never speak up. But from reading peoples responses for years here...I know this is what would have happened.

I could understand if he wasn't in the process of being tackled...but he was being grabbed as he threw. The likelihood of completing a tight throw with someone on your back is very low

I see your point, but I don't really agree that people would be complaining if he lived to fight another play on a pretty well-covered first down. Keep in mind, not only did he turn the ball over on that play but he also sustained a pretty awkward hit by insisting on making that throw.

If it had happened on third down, you might be right that people would complain. But, on first and ten in that field position, you have to make sure you come away with points. Also, the fact that some fans would complain if he didn't throw it, doesn't make the play correct.

I could understand if he wasn't in the process of being tackled...but he was being grabbed as he threw. The likelihood of completing a tight throw with someone on your back is very low

He was escaping, and QBs make that throw all the time....not to mention, if PG didn't give up...that's a completion.

I see your point, but I don't really agree that people would be complaining if he lived to fight another play on a pretty well-covered first down. Keep in mind, not only did he turn the ball over on that play but he also sustained a pretty awkward hit by insisting on making that throw.

If it had happened on third down, you might be right that people would complain. But, on first and ten in that field position, you have to make sure you come away with points. Also, the fact that some fans would complain if he didn't throw it, doesn't make the play correct.

In my mind, it doesn't matter if its 1st and 10 or 3rd and whatever. RGIII put faith in the receiver and he was let down.

I'm all for live to fight another day, but you have to try and make a play when you think your #1 receiver is actually going to fight for the ball.

Since you mentioned luck, this season has made me realize just how much of it he had last year.

Last year he was completing poorly-advised passes across the field, fumbling for touchdowns, and getting miraculous catches from his receivers. This year every imperfect pass is a pick or a drop, and every fumble ends in a sack or a turnover. 

He was escaping, and QBs make that throw all the time....not to mention, if PG didn't give up...that's a completion.

In my mind, it doesn't matter if its 1st and 10 or 3rd and whatever. RGIII put faith in the receiver and he was let down.

I'm all for live to fight another day, but you have to try and make a play when you think your #1 receiver is actually going to fight for the ball.

Fair enough. I would prefer the calculated approach Griffin demonstrated last year. He avoided trouble and had himself a historic year as a rookie QB when it comes to TD/INT ratio.

Since you mentioned luck, this season has made me realize just how much of it he had last year.

Last year he was completing poorly-advised passes across the field, fumbling for touchdowns, and getting miraculous catches from his receivers. This year every imperfect pass is a pick or a drop, and every fumble ends in a sack or a turnover. 

I will agree with that to an extent. Two of our biggest highlights last year were ill-advised: the long Moss TD vs. Philly and the crossing pattern to Garcon at Dallas.

Fair enough. I would prefer the calculated approach Griffin demonstrated last year. He avoided trouble and had himself a historic year as a rookie QB when it comes to TD/INT ratio.

Actually....last years run, RGIII needed a bit of luck. He threw many passes last year that were riskier then what he threw for an INT last game. I don't think he was any more calculated last year then what he has shown this year.

Bad pass all day. 1st and 10 in scoring position, throw the ball away 3 seconds ago. **** like that gets you hurt. He also had a lazy run ou t of bounds that I was surprised the defender didn't blow him up on. Then the head firts slide. It shocks me that after all that has gone down that Robert would get on TV and say he really doesn't know how to slide. If anyone has the footage go and look again at his right leg thru the dive and the way it jerks. Maybe the slow motion is what made it look so bad to me but it just didnt look right. Also the bad snaps need to be dove on. You bend over tring to get the ball and a defender is going to go thru that knee. He's been fortunate thus far but RG3's recklessness scares me. HTTR

Archived