Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I don't think there's any way we trade Kirk this year.

We need him and too many highly-rated (at the moment) QB options in the draft.

Plus his value is probably as low as it's ever been.  I foresee him lighting it up during the preseason and God willing having that be the last piece of film coaches have to determine whetehr to trade for him or not next year.

Plus his value is probably as low as it's ever been.  I foresee him lighting it up during the preseason and God willing having that be the last piece of film coaches have to determine whetehr to trade for him or not next year.

Next years class is even better. I would take Cousins over Garrapolo or Matthews any day. 

Next years class is even better. I would take Cousins over Garrapolo or Matthews any day. 

A bit too soon to say next year's class is anything.

As I see it there are 4 teams that desperately need a QB:

HOU (1st pick), JAX (3rd pick), CLE (4th pick) and MIN (8th pick)

What do you know, there go Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles and Carr (in no particular order).  If they don't grab them in the first, they'll grab them in the second (or later in the first) if they happen to be around (which at the moment does not appear likely because of the second group below)

Then you have a few teams that might upgrade to a better QB:

OAK (McGloin/Pryor-4th pick in 2nd rd), TB (Glennon-6th pick in 2nd rd), TEN (Locker-10th pick in 2nd rd), and STL (Bradford-12th pick in 2nd rd)

If one of the first group of teams pass on the four I listed one of these most likely would grab them.  Which of those teams would trade their 2nd rounder to go from those listed to Cousins?

Here are the teams who have starters that I do not see Cousins replacing:

ATL, BAL, BUF, CAR, CHI, CIN, DAL, DEN, DET, GB, IND, KC, MIA, NE, NO, NYG, NYJ, PHI, PIT, SD, SF, SEA, WAS (needs to be said)

That leaves ARI (Palmer) who might be planning for the future.  Is that worth the 20th pick in the 2nd round for Cousins?

And again, Cousins is likely at his lowest value having played out the end of this miserable season.  We are much better off keeping him (for the cap savings, insurance against another RG3 injury, etc.) then trading him in the current landscape.

I think we wanted to outsmart the league with he pick. Shanahan was thinking like a wallstreet guy. Buy low, sell high. 

Right now I think we might not even get our investment back. We might just keep him around as backup... And when his contract end, he might get a shot somewhere else. 

I think we wanted to outsmart the league with he pick. Shanahan was thinking like a wallstreet guy. Buy low, sell high. 

Right now I think we might not even get our investment back. We might just keep him around as backup... And when his contract end, he might get a shot somewhere else. 

As I said earlier, our best option is to have him play lights out next preseason and let that be the last film of him out there.  If he shines, depending on what the options are in the 2015 draft and who is still needing a QB, I think we either keep him all four years, or we trade him at no lower than the 4th we gave up for him.

As I said earlier, our best option is to have him play lights out next preseason and let that be the last film of him out there.  If he shines, depending on what the options are in the 2015 draft and who is still needing a QB, I think we either keep him all four years, or we trade him at no lower than the 4th we gave up for him.

We will see. I really liked Captain Kirk in college. So I still have hope. 

A bit too soon to say next year's class is anything.

Well, when you potentially have Winston, Mariota, Petty, Miller and even Bo Wallace, I would rather take my chances against Carr, Manziel (has future brown all over him), Bortles and Bridgewater. 

Or you keep him around as a top 5 backup. 

Keep in mind, Kolb was coming off his worst rated PFF season in his 3 years in the league and he still got traded to ARZ. 7 TDS 7 INTS 60% Comp, sounds like Cousins's numbers to me. Just proves that teams desperate for a qb will do anything. 

Well, when you potentially have Winston, Mariota, Petty, Miller and even Bo Wallace, I would rather take my chances against Carr, Manziel (has future brown all over him), Bortles and Bridgewater. 

Keep in mind, Kolb was coming off his worst rated PFF season in his 3 years in the league and he still got traded to ARZ. 7 TDS 7 INTS 60% Comp, sounds like Cousins's numbers to me. Just proves that teams desperate for a qb will do anything. 

I think teams learned from Arizona's mistake though.  I haven't really scouted qb's since we drafted rg3, but I have a feeling those guys will show some flaws.  Winston looked pretty bad against Auburn, especially in the first half.

That said, maybe we should give up the notion of getting anything in return for kirk.  Maybe we break even on a 4th for him, but unless we win our division early or rg3 gets injured, we're probably not seeing him during the regular season.  His only real value for other teams is that he can now jump in and immediately start and be a competent starter.  A team like the Jets would probably kill for a qb like that.  Hell, if Ryan is smart he should save his job with him.  Thing is, the FA pool has Vick, McCown, Sanchez, Freeman, Henne, etc.  Guys who have serious flaws but you aren't giving up draft picks to get them.

Well yes I did list keeping him as a viable option.

As for Arizona trading for Kolb, they had Derek Anderson, John Skelton and Max Hall at QB.  None of the teams this year have that bad a QB situation.  And as far as options in the draft that year, you had Cam, then Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick.  not exactly stellar choices (Cam went first so not an option for the Cardinals) compared to this year's draft.  And Kolb was supposed to be the starter in Philly until he got concussed and Vick had his miracle season that year.

Your stats aren't exactly honest either, as the season prior to the trade Kolb threw 4 TDs vs 3 ints, had a 64.6% completion percentage and an 88.8 rating.  Kirk this past year had 8 TDs vs 10 ints, had a 52.3% completion percentage and an 58.4 rating.

Based on all the above, I don't think you can compare the two situations.

Well yes I did list keeping him as a viable option.

As for Arizona trading for Kolb, they had Derek Anderson, John Skelton and Max Hall at QB.  None of the teams this year have that bad a QB situation.  And as far as options in the draft that year, you had Cam, then Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick.  not exactly stellar choices (Cam went first so not an option for the Cardinals) compared to this year's draft.  And Kolb was supposed to be the starter in Philly until he got concussed and Vick had his miracle season that year.

Your stats aren't exactly honest either, as the season prior to the trade Kolb threw 4 TDs vs 3 ints, had a 64.6% completion percentage and an 88.8 rating.  Kirk this past year had 8 TDs vs 10 ints, had a 52.3% completion percentage and an 58.4 rating.

Based on all the above, I don't think you can compare the two situations.

The 2011 class was SO much deeper than this year. I would argue the jags, min and texans qb situations are just as terrible, but the likelyhood of the jags or vikes picking a qb that early after taking them in 2011 is pretty unlikely, particularly the jags.

I was watching Ward in a drill earlier in the week and I thought he was CB.

I haven't started breaking down the DBs yet, and I try not to get influenced by much until I breakdown their cut ups.

But, Ward's fluidity and ease of movement caught my eye.

This only my 3rd or 4th stab at a mock, its hopeful (maybe overly hopeful) but you just never know....

(34) ILB Ryan Shazier (i know, i know but the heart wants...)/ ILB Kyle Van Noy/ RT Morgan Moses

(66) WR Martavis Bryant /OL Joel Bitonio/

(98) DB James Ward (I can't call a grown man Jimmie/Jimmy) OT Juwan James WR Josh Huff

(130) DL Justin Ellis / WR L' Damian Washington/ QB Taj Boyd

(162) RB D'Anthony Thomas

Ward really is a CB, size-wise. He plays that Slot DB, Nickel CB role. He can drop to Safety at times, but I like him on the inside covering the Slot. Perfect guy to replace Wilson, while bringing back Hall for Boundary along with Amerson.

I haven't watched his film yet. But, do you think he's the type that could transition to SAF/FS right away in the NFL?

A guy who's had a quietly good, strong, impressive  week at the Senior Bowl has been Jalen Saunders. I said before in this thread that he was electric. He repeatedly beat folks on double moves, pure speed, crisp routes and most importantly, made the catch. Size, size & weight and durability will always be the drawbacks, concerns.

Bro', that is one heck of tidbit, GREAT find. 

And that's one darn fine receiver to be related to. 

Hail. 

*Edit* FWIW, even as a Sooner, unless he was a mid-lower round pick for the slot, I'd pass. 

Of course, BUT

May I remind thee

> http://es.redskins.com/topic/337850-2012-comprehensive-nfl-draft-database/?p=8959077

I saw this thing coming. I told 'ya about him before he ever took a snap as a Sooner.

I was watching Ward in a drill earlier in the week and I thought he was CB.I haven't started breaking down the DBs yet, and I try not to get influenced by much until I breakdown their cut ups.

But, Ward's fluidity and ease of movement caught my eye.

I'm a big fan, he could immediately help us out in the slot, plus has some flexibility.

The 2011 class was SO much deeper than this year. I would argue the jags, min and texans qb situations are just as terrible, but the likelyhood of the jags or vikes picking a qb that early after taking them in 2011 is pretty unlikely, particularly the jags.

How can you argue that the 2011 class was deeper, and then list two of the teams who drafted first round QBs that year as having QB situations just as terrible as the 2010 Cardinals?

And we'll have to disagree that the Jags and Vikings won't be inclined to look at drafting a QB early.

Anyone post this yet? Whew!

https://i.imgflip.com/69yxi.gif

This sort of reminds me of the Duke Robinson situation.  Highly touted guard, possible 1st rounder.  Then all the offseason stuff happens and people realize weaknesses are there, and he was in a favorable situation.  Duke fell to the 5th round I think.

Archived