Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

That is "much more length?"

6'0 7/8 = 72.875 inches          ///     31.3/4 = 31.75           ///    77.3/8 = 77.375

6'0 3/4 = 72.75   inches          ///     30.5/8 = 30.625         ///    76.1/8 = 76.125

----------------------------------    ///     -----------------------     ///   ------------------------

0.125                                             1.125                                1. 25

I mean, the arm length seems to be the only discernible difference, which is an inch, basically. Neither 30.625 nor 31.75 are considered ideal.

But ...

Interesting however that the wing span doesn't double up for Donald against Sutton. I mean if both of Donald's arms are one inch longer than Sutton's, you'd think the wing span would be more than just a 1.25 inch difference, but it's not. I guess the torso comes into play there.

Oh well. Ha, I should have known you'd seize on that. :)

Im gonna laugh my ass off when people talk about Donald having more "length" than Sutton. As if an inch longer arms mean anything. 

Yeah, the big difference between Roby and Baptiste is that Roby has insane athleticism and fits our scheme. He may have gotten toasted (and his stock dropped dramatically afterwards) but you have to look more at the skillset he brings and if he could at least play special teams. Amerson was a consensus top 10 pick and fell all the way to the back half of the 2nd after a bad game that exposed his poor eye discipline. Guess what happened when he got to the pros? His poor eye discipline bit him in the ass multiple times (San Diego, Green Bay and Philly). So to say that people don't look at a single game and put him down (or up) the board is ridiculous. Baptiste bullied the smaller, faster receivers he played and his lack of speed went unnoticed until he played Robinson, a guy who could physically match up with him. Guess what happened? He ran right past him ALL game. I think this week will be incredibly important to his stock and will decide if he goes in the 5th or 2nd round.  

People often are so mistaken on prospects though.  Amerson was believed to be slow (which he's not) because everyone thought Patterson was a 4.5-4.6 guy who was outrunning him.  Turns out Patterson runs a low 4.3.  Nonetheless Amerson was beaten pretty bad in a few games in 2012.  He was projected as a top 10 pick thanks to a monster year the year before with interceptions.

Anyways, just watched that penn state game and I realized you're talking about 2 plays.  Not even the entire game like what happened to Roby vs Abbrendis or Amerson vs Patterson.  It's literally 2 plays vs a projected 1st rounder.  One of which wasn't a catch and was mostly the safety's fault.  SJB allowed 3 catches for 51 yards and had a nice pbu on 3rd down in OT.  That's not a horrible game by any means.

Does he have great speed?  Nope.  Does Sherman have great speed?  Nope.  He has quick enough feet and he's physical.  Not saying he's the next Sherman, but he's not a bad prospect at all.

Tonight @10:30pm EST, NFL Network airs the Day 1 re-cap. Hopefully they show the O-Line vs D-Line one-on-one drills.

The live broadcast earlier today from 4pm to 5pm showed a little bit of the North practice. The South team had practiced earlier in day.

Tomorrow starting at 2pm EST and running until 4pm EST, NFL Network will have Day 2 practice.

South Team practices from 2:30 to 4:30pm EST (1:30 to 3:30pm CT). North Team practices early tomorrow, from (9:30 to 11:30am CT).

That is "much more length?"

6'0 7/8 = 72.875 inches          ///     31.3/4 = 31.75           ///    77.3/8 = 77.375

6'0 3/4 = 72.75   inches          ///     30.5/8 = 30.625         ///    76.1/8 = 76.125

----------------------------------    ///     -----------------------     ///   ------------------------

0.125                                             1.125                                1. 25

I mean, the arm length seems to be the only discernible difference, which is an inch, basically. Neither 30.625 nor 31.75 are considered ideal.

But ...

Interesting however that the wing span doesn't double up for Donald against Sutton. I mean if both of Donald's arms are one inch longer than Sutton's, you'd think the wing span would be more than just a 1.25 inch difference, but it's not. I guess the torso comes into play there.

Oh well. Ha, I should have known you'd seize on that. :)

In a game of inches that is a sizable difference! 

Considering most people thought Sutton was the taller player that ends up being a big win for Donald.  It's not like Donald clocked in at 6'6, but considering prior expectations it was a substantial result.

Does he have great speed?  Nope.  Does Sherman have great speed?  Nope.  He has quick enough feet and he's physical.  Not saying he's the next Sherman, but he's not a bad prospect at all.

Pretty much the point I was making.. I honestly think with good coaching Baptiste can be a good player but I still wouldn't pick him before the 5th, simply because his technique is flawed and he doesnt seem to have alot of long speed, pretty much the same reasons Sherman fell, although Baptiste is WAY more physical than Sherman ever was at Stanford. I can guarantee if he runs well he will go in the early 3rd late 2nd range though, teams are going hard for big CBs. BTW I dont think anyone ever thought Patterson would run a 4.6 haha. 

Im gonna laugh my ass off when people talk about Donald having more "length" than Sutton. As if an inch longer arms mean anything. 

Except it was somehow a selling point to Sutton mere days ago that he had more length than Donald.  But if we're just considering them as players, Donald is the better prospect anyways.  His weigh-in just alleviated any concerns about size difference between the two.

Except it was somehow a selling point to Sutton mere days ago that he had more length than Donald.  But if we're just considering them as players, Donald is the better prospect anyways.  His weigh-in just alleviated any concerns about size difference between the two. 

I honestly think both will be steals for whatever team picks em up. Quickness>Height any day of the week. 

Pretty much the point I was making.. I honestly think with good coaching Baptiste can be a good player but I still wouldn't pick him before the 5th, simply because his technique is flawed and he doesnt seem to have alot of long speed, pretty much the same reasons Sherman fell, although Baptiste is WAY more physical than Sherman ever was at Stanford. I can guarantee if he runs well he will go in the early 3rd late 2nd range though, teams are going hard for big CBs. BTW I dont think anyone ever thought Patterson would run a 4.6 haha. 

Patterson was projected between 4.5-4.6.  4.5+, not 4.6+, but many thought he had average speed for his size.  Likewise some projected Kuechly to have 4.8-4.9 speed.  Or that Burfict had 4.6-4.7 speed (though that 40 time was probably just really poor form).

Patterson was projected between 4.5-4.6.  4.5+, not 4.6+, but many thought he had average speed for his size.  Likewise some projected Kuechly to have 4.8-4.9 speed.  Or that Burfict had 4.6-4.7 speed (though that 40 time was probably just really poor form).

Its pretty hilarious how wrong some of these draftnik people are. Even funnier when they flip their **** over 40 yard dash times, as if they matter. 

In a game of inches that is a sizable difference! 

You really quoted me to say that  :)

Ha.

I'm hoping you wrote that with a heavy dose of cheesy. I thought it was funny.

Aaron Donald is this year's Will Sutton darling, except Will Sutton is still Will Sutton and Aaron Donald is still Aaron Donald and both have short arms. But Donald wins the all important draftnik perception game.

I'm cool with it LB, I like Donald too. I'd like to get him. But seriously, those two guys are basically the same size. I never said Sutton was taller or longer. Anyone who was saying either had a sizable difference before the actual weigh-in measurement and those now saying there's a difference even after the weigh-in, were / are off.

Both guys are pretty darn similar measurement wise.

But if this uptick means Donald goes earlier and people start falling out of love with Sutton, no sweat off my back. The longer Sutton lasts, the better value he gets.

Its pretty hilarious how wrong some of these draftnik people are. Even funnier when they flip their **** over 40 yard dash times, as if they matter. 

Have to measure speed somehow, though 10 yard splits are likely the more important measurement.  Problem is you can gain or lose .2 seconds or more on your time just with proper form.  It's a movement you'll never really make on a football field, and you almost never even get to run full speed anyways.  I was surprised that even nfldraftscout had Kuechly so far off because watching him you could tell he wasn't slow for a linebacker.  I think Skov is similar this year (they have him projected at 4.9) but I'd be stunned if he didn't run under a 4.8.

You really quoted me to say that  :)

Ha.

I'm hoping you wrote that with a heavy dose of cheesy. I thought it was funny.

Aaron Donald is this year's Will Sutton darling, except Will Sutton is still Will Sutton and Aaron Donald is still Aaron Donald and both have short arms. But Donald wins the all important draftnik perception game.

I'm cool with it LB, I like Donald too. I'd like to get him. But seriously, those two guys are basically the same size. I never said Sutton was taller or longer. Anyone who was saying either had a sizable difference before the actual weigh-in measurement and those now saying there's a difference even after the weigh-in, were / are off.

Both guys are pretty darn similar measurement wise.

But if this uptick means Donald goes earlier and people start falling out of love with Sutton, no sweat off my back. The longer Sutton lasts, the better value he gets.

Yeah, it was a bit of cheese.  The serious kind of cheese.

Regardless of one game or not, he got exploited in a major way against a top flight receiver. Seems like you are getting too caught up in his 6'3 frame and think hes the next Richard Sherman. Watch this honestly and tell me the 4th round isnt a reach http://draftbreakdown.com/video/stanley-jean-baptiste-vs-penn-state-2013/

Here's what I'm getting caught up in and why I can tell you with relative confidence that a 4th round pick on SJB would be grand larceny, and here's why.

35 seconds:

He's lined up at safety on the opposite hash from where the play ended up on what looks like a zone. It appears as if he initially take the slant route in the middle of the field, and ends up with a pick 6 on the other side of the field. This displays not only a nose for the ball but a very impressive quickness in transition but a pretty nasty 0-60 when he breaks on the ball.

56 seconds:

While it's after the INT, you can see the coordinated feet, balance, and just as crucial he shows that 0-60 right out of the cut.

1:08:

Once again that 0-60, this time dead outand  of his backpedal.

1:53:

Very good display of fluid hips and balance

He has other highlights and if I have time tomorrow I'd be happy to do more. What I've taken from this is exactly why Dukes/Skins thinks he has some star potential. He has a very impressive ease of movement for his size, shifts into high gears extremely quickly and crucially for the position he plays he can do it instantly out of his breaks. Combine that with his length and to me you have that rare ability to get beat initially and still have a very chance to win the route. He's raw and can be handsier than a frat boy at times but the only way you see him on day 3 is a post draft interview.

Watching practise right now. Hageman keep catching my eye in practise. He has a good first punch and stays low, what is pretty impressive with his frame. 

Edit. Cyril R is looking great against Hageman in 11on11. Very good strenght. Did get beat once on a quick hand move by the DT, could not see who it was. Looked like a Lousiana Tech helmet, but NFL network qualitie was pretty bad. 

Watching practise right now. Hageman keep catching my eye in practise. He has a good first punch and stays low, what is pretty impressive with his frame. 

Edit. Cyril R is looking great against Hageman in 11on11. Very good strenght. Did get beat once on a quick hand move by the DT, could not see who it was. Looked like a Lousiana Tech helmet, but NFL network qualitie was pretty bad. 

Probably was Justin Ellis then. Kid is going to be a stud IMO

He has other highlights and if I have time tomorrow I'd be happy to do more. What I've taken from this is exactly why Dukes/Skins thinks he has some star potential. He has a very impressive ease of movement for his size, shifts into high gears extremely quickly and crucially for the position he plays he can do it instantly out of his breaks. Combine that with his length and to me you have that rare ability to get beat initially and still have a very chance to win the route. He's raw and can be handsier than a frat boy at times but the only way you see him on day 3 is a post draft interview.

This week will be essential in proving if he will be a 2nd or 5th rounder. He looks pretty good against bad competition but it will be interesting to see how he plays against bigger, faster players. 

Christian Jones showing natural pass rushing skills for an ILB. Mean spin move on a TE, beat him easily.

He's a guy I want. I'm getting to the point that if we beef up the OL and Front 7 and add a guy or two for playmakers we can become pretty good fast. Think they move Kory then to C give LeRib or Gettis their chance. FA will be crucial for this team though IMO

That's one hell of a gap and he plays well against bad competition? The big 10 is bad now?

Not saying the big 10 is bad but what top tier WR has he played against this season? Robinson was the only one ive seen. The way I look at it is people are looking for an excuse to draft these big CBs and if he shows against top competition and runs well they will certainly take him early. If he doesnt, people will look at his tape and say "well he didnt play anyone and when he played Penn St he was beat pretty badly a few times" and he will end up falling into the 4th or 5th. 

Christian Jones showing natural pass rushing skills for an ILB. Mean spin move on a TE, beat him easily.

How is Brandon Thomas playing? 

Not saying the big 10 is bad but what top tier WR has he played against this season? Robinson was the only one ive seen. The way I look at it is people are looking for an excuse to draft these big CBs and if he shows against top competition and runs well they will certainly take him early. If he doesnt, people will look at his tape and say "well he didnt play anyone and when he played Penn St he was beat pretty badly a few times" and he will end up falling into the 4th or 5th. 

How is Brandon Thomas playing? 

But that bolded really isn't how it goes

Sherman was 6'3 and he fell to the 5th because he was unimpressive in college and he is definitely a better athlete than SJB so what makes this situation any different? 

Could you imagine interviewing Sherman though?  I bet that made teams shy away.  And Sherman was 20 pounds lighter than Baptiste, of course he should be quicker.

And for as much as you talk about that one game, it wasn't even a bad game for Baptiste.  He only got beat twice by a 1st round wr, one of which wasn't a completion and was mostly the safety's fault (baptiste had underneath coverage on a curl and go route).  The 2nd time could have been worse had the qb hit Robinson in stride, but Baptiste was still in position to contest that completion and it took a great diving catch by Robinson for it to even be caught.  Other than that he allowed 2 catches for 10 yards.  And that's counting one catch that was a screen for 2 yards.

Archived