Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Kind Of Mattress Do You Prefer?

grego

I used to sleep in a standard spring pillow top mattress, but a couple of years ago, I slept on a bed with a memory foam mattress topper, and I loved it.

I found a mattress topper at kohls on sale (less than $300 as I recall), flipped over my old pillow top mattress, and i've been good ever since. I even notice that when I sleep in another bed (went to FL a couple of weeks ago, slept in a bigger, king sized bed for a week-no bueno) I wake up with a stiff back. I sometimes pack up my topper in a suitcase and take it with me when I go to the folks house in Queenstown. definitely helps.

my mattress toppers starting to lose some of its 'memory', and i'm thinking of getting a bigger bed (with a 5 year old and 2 small dogs who like to make their way into the bed from time to time), so I went by a sleep number store today, did the whole 'find your sleep number' thing on the base (c2) model, and I have to say, I didn't like it. felt completely like a blow up mattress (which it basically is). somehow, people like these things.

of course, you can upgrade to the memory foam sleep number (over $5,000)- but wait! its on sale! 40% off! so its only $3,100. I don't get it- what the point of a sleep number bed once its covered with memory foam? and whats up with the "25 year warranty" which is really a 2 year warranty, followed by 18 years of pro rated cost to you (4% for every year), followed by 5 years of paying only 96% of the cost of repair. of course, I wouldn't plan on having a mattress for more than 20 years, but, still. why bother at 96%? silly marketing ploy.

anyway....

I've been looking into bob-o-pedic gel. seems like a decent alternative to tempurpedic for a cheap skate like myself. only drawback is their customer service and BBB ratings are mediocre (I hate bad customer service), but the product itself seems good.

I should add that I have had back surgery on my lower back to remove part of a herniated disc, so a good mattress is important to me. so what kind of mattress, in your experience, offers the best back support and pain relief for your back? what kind of mattress do you hate, and why? and wheres the best place to buy a good mattress?

I'm not sure what kind of bed I prefer, although I think it tends towards firm.

I do know that once I get used to a bed, changing will throw my back out of whack for a couple days.  (Not majorly, I can just feel it in the morning and then a little bit throughout the day.)  So like if I go to a hotel for a week, the first few mornings I have the back discomfort, then I get used to the bed, then I have to get used to my bed at home all over again.

I wrecked my neck in a fall, and have had back problems off and on ever since. After trying every type of mattress, including using a memory foam slab for a few years until it collapsed, the best thing I ever did about it was get that sleep number mattress that you didn't like. Gain weight? Adjust the mattress. Lose weight? Adjust the mattress. Back acting up? Make it firmer. Back feels fine? Adjust for more comfort. You gotta remember to adjust it every night though, cause the pressure varies with room temperature.

I didn't really care for the original mattress' split-chamber design, so I replaced it with an aftermarket single-chamber air bladder. And I used a memory foam topper for a while, but finally decided that it just held too much body heat.

Sleeping great now. Back feels good.

We have a Bob O Pedicure mattress. Not sure what model although I know we do have the firm. Sometimes I wish we would have bought the soft instead because lately I have woken up with neck and back pains that I think might be cause by such a firm sleep.

The firm definitely felt more comfortable in the store though, that's for sure.

Overall I like the memory foam mattress. It does retain some body heat but it is very comfortable in general. I don't know how it compares to a Tempur Pedic at all since this is my first memory foam mattress. We used memory foam toppers before this and the whole mattress makes a bit of difference in feel.

I wrecked my neck in a fall, and have had back problems off and on ever since. After trying every type of mattress, including using a memory foam slab for a few years until it collapsed, the best thing I ever did about it was get that sleep number mattress that you didn't like. Gain weight? Adjust the mattress. Lose weight? Adjust the mattress. Back acting up? Make it firmer. Back feels fine? Adjust for more comfort. You gotta remember to adjust it every night though, cause the pressure varies with room temperature.

I didn't really care for the original mattress' split-chamber design, so I replaced it with an aftermarket single-chamber air bladder. And I used a memory foam topper for a while, but finally decided that it just held too much body heat.

Sleeping great now. Back feels good.

i've slept on an inflatable air mattress a dozen times or so, and never like how the other parts of the mattress expand as you put pressure on one part of it, like just rolling over to get out of bed or something. the sleep number felt just like that to me. of course, it could be because it was the base model. and when i was flat on my back, it felt fine. but as soon as i rolled on my side (which is how i sleep) my upper body sank and my legs felt elevated and every little movement i could feel the air compensating. 

but i have read good things about them as far as reducing back pain. just not sure its for me. not the base model anyway. 

We have a Bob O Pedicure mattress. Not sure what model although I know we do have the firm. Sometimes I wish we would have bought the soft instead because lately I have woken up with neck and back pains that I think might be cause by such a firm sleep.

The firm definitely felt more comfortable in the store though, that's for sure.

Overall I like the memory foam mattress. It does retain some body heat but it is very comfortable in general. I don't know how it compares to a Tempur Pedic at all since this is my first memory foam mattress. We used memory foam toppers before this and the whole mattress makes a bit of difference in feel.

as far as the mattress being much softer in the store, i read that many times in review of bob o pedics. probably older mattresses than thousands of people have laid on in the store. 

as much as i like to feel cool when i sleep, ive never had a problem with my memory foam topper and feeling hot. maybe i just got an upgraded 'breathable' one and didnt know it. 

Bought a bed for my kid recently and went to Original Mattress Factory. They were the #2 rated brand in Consumer Reports last year, probably still are. They had cut away the their mattress and several competitors mattresses. It was very enlightening. Basically, the main difference, apart from how the coils are constructed and the material of the coils, is foam padding. The more expensive brands just had more (2 or more) layers of egg-crate padding  . Yeah, that stuff. You can buy a layer for $20 at Target, but since they stitched it into the fabric, they can charge a thousand bucks or more for it. 

We're due up for a new mattress in the next year or two and I'm considering a tempurpedic. I'm pretty cost conscious but say you'll have it for 5 years, it'll basically be a $1.50/night for ten years for a good night's sleep. 

I bought a soft mattress a couple years ago because it was cheap. I recently went back to a firm one and now I wake up with bad back pain every morning if I'm not positioned perfectly all night. This happen to anyone else?

i think thats a big part of why i was waking up with back pain every day when i was on vacation. the mattress was definitely firm. i swear, i used to hear that a firm mattress was better for you back. doesnt seem to work that way for me. 

of course, too soft, and your body gets contorted in bad ways which can cause problems, too. 

Bought a bed for my kid recently and went to Original Mattress Factory. They were the #2 rated brand in Consumer Reports last year, probably still are. They had cut away the their mattress and several competitors mattresses. It was very enlightening. Basically, the main difference, apart from how the coils are constructed and the material of the coils, is foam padding. The more expensive brands just had more (2 or more) layers of egg-crate padding  . Yeah, that stuff. You can buy a layer for $20 at Target, but since they stitched it into the fabric, they can charge a thousand bucks or more for it. 

i noticed that when looking at the various mattress sites. sleep number, for example, has a base model with basically no padding on top. for a couple of hundred bucks more, you get some padding. a couple of hundred more, and you get more padding. definitely seems ridiculous. 

another thing about memory foam mattresses, some places will say they have a '9 inch memory foam mattress', but it will only have 2 inches, maybe, of memory foam material with the rest being regular poly foam. 

wife and i bought a firm memory foam mattress about 2 years ago.  hate to be all dramatic and stuff, but holy ****ing **** did that thing change my life.  I never knew you could get sleep like that.  best sleep i've ever had.  waking up in the morning isn't nearly as painful as it used to be.

I got a full memory foam mattress for $199.  Best mattress I've ever slept on.  Buying online is exponentially cost-saving.

i would buy one online if i knew what it felt like. then again, when it comes to memory foam, theyre all similar, i guess its just the firmness. i'd check out the reviews of the thing, how long it lasts and all that. you can definitely save some dough buying that way. 

what brand is it, if you dont mind saying?

i would buy one online if i knew what it felt like. then again, when it comes to memory foam, theyre all similar, i guess its just the firmness. i'd check out the reviews of the thing, how long it lasts and all that. you can definitely save some dough buying that way. 

what brand is it, if you dont mind saying?

http://stores.ebay.com/Sleep-With-Memory-Foam-2-Night

They come with a free mattress cover and two memory foam pillows.

ya dude, we ordered our king size memory foam off amazon for like 450.

only problem with memory foam, possibly tmi, but sometimes a roll in the hay can be difficult as you tend to sink a little.

Depends on how firm your specific memory foam is.  Plus, when it is cold and gets warm it can dip a bit.

ya dude, we ordered our king size memory foam off amazon for like 450.

only problem with memory foam, possibly tmi, but sometimes a roll in the hay can be difficult as you tend to sink a little.

I was going to ask about that. That is not TMI, that's a functional parameter. 

Depends on how firm your specific memory foam is. Plus, when it is cold and gets warm it can dip a bit.

we got a "firm." they had very firm, and then softer stuff.

also, kinda off topic, i disnt realize how important your pillow is as well. im a stomach and side sleeper, picked up a "side sleeper" pillow from ikea. its sweet.

a good nights sleep is SO important in every aspect of your life, and i really notice the difference since going memory foam.

I was going to ask about that. That is not TMI, that's a functional parameter.

hahaha right. and the wife and i are trying for kids, so shes borderline bullying me on a daily basis. even has an app for it lol.

sometimes when we wanna get really weird, we go in the guest bedroom lolol.

wife and i bought a firm memory foam mattress about 2 years ago.  hate to be all dramatic and stuff, but holy ****ing **** did that thing change my life.  I never knew you could get sleep like that.  best sleep i've ever had.  waking up in the morning isn't nearly as painful as it used to be.

OT what is your avatar picture from

Didn't realize you could buy them, even king size at Sams club for <$300

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/night-therapy-elite-13-mygel-prestige-memory-foam-mattress-king/prod6480113.ip?origin=item_page.rr1&campaign=rr&sn=ClickCP&campaign_data=prod6480199

just found this on their site. has cooling gel, several inches of actual memory foam (not just regular foam), comes with the base, not very expensive and has almost 50 revieews- almost all of them excellent. (of course, they could be made up). and sams has no time limit on returns (i called and asked to be sure- even on mattresses). sounds like a good deal.

i happened to talk to a co worker yesterday who had just got a bob o pedic gel memory foam mattress (exactly what i was looking into) the previous day. talk about good timing. she has sciatic nerve issues and says for 2 straight days she's woken up pain free and says she cant recall the last time thats happened. loves it.

might have to see ol' bob in rockville.

i think thats a big part of why i was waking up with back pain every day when i was on vacation. the mattress was definitely firm. i swear, i used to hear that a firm mattress was better for you back. doesnt seem to work that way for me. 

of course, too soft, and your body gets contorted in bad ways which can cause problems, too. 

I have to sleep on my back all night with my head elevated. The woman always wants to spoon, but if I fall asleep like that I will be in some major pain the next morning. It sucks.Think I'm either gonna have to go back to a softer mattress or get one of those toppers.

we got a "firm." they had very firm, and then softer stuff.

also, kinda off topic, i disnt realize how important your pillow is as well. im a stomach and side sleeper, picked up a "side sleeper" pillow from ikea. its sweet.

a good nights sleep is SO important in every aspect of your life, and i really notice the difference since going memory foam.

hahaha right. and the wife and i are trying for kids, so shes borderline bullying me on a daily basis. even has an app for it lol.

sometimes when we wanna get really weird, we go in the guest bedroom lolol.

I believe his avatar is Vigo the Carpathian from Ghostbusters 2.....haha.

A few years back when we got that stimulus check, we went out and bought a tempru pedic bed.  The guy told us it is better to buy the entire bed opposed to just the mattress because the box spring itself is built differently than a standard box spring as is the frame of the bed.  He might have just been sales pitching to us, but since we had the cash we just went for it.  I remember at the store there was 4 levels of mattress (in price) and I believe we went with level two. 

If you are firm mattress seeker, these mattresses get the job done.

I have to sleep on my back all night with my head elevated. The woman always wants to spoon, but if I fall asleep like that I will be in some major pain the next morning. It sucks.Think I'm either gonna have to go back to a softer mattress or get one of those toppers.

based on my own experience, the toppers are really excellent. its a cheap way to drastically improve your sleep. i'd look at one thats at least 2.5" thick and breathable. sams and costco, i think, both have good prices, but walmart always has some for $100 to $200. 

get one. you'll sleep like a baby. 

OT what is your avatar picture from

I believe his avatar is Vigo the Carpathian from Ghostbusters 2.....haha.

The one and only!

"On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more!"

Archived