Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colts player arrested on gun charges.

skinsfan35yrs.

It's been 5 months since the Super Bowl and 28 NFL atheletes have been arrested, so that is 1.4 players per week. The number of Pro players getting arrested is rediculous and out of hand (all sports included). The commissioners, unions, front offices, criminal courts, and endorsement agencies, need to get a hell of alot tougher on this issue. The slap on the wrists for most offenses are a joke. Add the fact that if it is more serious and they get 4+ game suspensions are weak threats. They are always reduced to less . The fines are a laugher as well. I can see the players thoughts now, " hmmm lets see I make 27 mill and you fine me 25,000 (also reduced) Oh my you have really hurt me, not!. All's I will do is go to 20 more autographs signings and I will be even again anyway."  Again its as if athelets think they are above the law. I personally believe they should have basically one chance at the Gold Ring. Here are some ideas of consequences I think should be thought about and inacted. Any college player entering the draft and brings baggage to the draft should be and depending on the seriousness passed over completely or atleast not eligable until, lets say the 5th round. And then they are on the strictess probation period of there first 5 years or so. To all players; All fines and suspensions should be increased significantly and they should stick no matter what. No reducing of penalties what so ever. I also think there should be major penalties just for being involved in instances. The reason for this is, as we know, courts and juries some how are more lenient on atletes who are either guilty are should have been found guilty (i.e. o.j. simpson, ray lewis) but I say just by allowing them selves to be in involved in those situations, being around the criminal aspect of life, shows poor judgement at best. I know there are some mitigating circumstances and they must be allowed for but this should be the blue print of a plan to stop this crap. Atheletes and celebrities make a hell of alot more money and get a hell of alot more perks then the average person and should be held to a higher standered to be able to receive those paychecks and perks. Heck most of these people become role models to our children and really profit from being made famous. I'm sorry, but seeing in lights " pro players superstar/ convicted felon does not work for me and should not work for any caring and resposible parent out there. If a player is involved in criminal acts or moraly wrong situations, stop buying the jersey, stop going to the autograph signings and etc., show your displeasure at the games,with signs of denouncements or just dont go to games and let the whole industry know you are not supporting those kind of of offenses any more. I have now been a fan of the Washington Redskins since 1971, thats 42 years and counting. But over the years especially the last 10 I have lost enthusiasm for players and the game.    

It's been 5 months since the Super Bowl and 28 NFL atheletes have been arrested, so that is 1.4 players per week. The number of Pro players getting arrested is rediculous and out of hand (all sports included).

The commissioners, unions, front offices, criminal courts, and endorsement agencies, need to get a hell of alot tougher on this issue. The slap on the wrists for most offenses are a joke. Add the fact that if it is more serious and they get 4+ game suspensions are weak threats. They are always reduced to less . The fines are a laugher as well. I can see the players thoughts now, " hmmm lets see I make 27 mill and you fine me 25,000 (also reduced) Oh my you have really hurt me, not!. All's I will do is go to 20 more autographs signings and I will be even again anyway."  Again its as if athelets think they are above the law.

I personally believe they should have basically one chance at the Gold Ring.

Here are some ideas of consequences I think should be thought about and inacted. Any college player entering the draft and brings baggage to the draft should be and depending on the seriousness passed over completely or atleast not eligable until, lets say the 5th round. And then they are on the strictess probation period of there first 5 years or so.

To all players; All fines and suspensions should be increased significantly and they should stick no matter what. No reducing of penalties what so ever. I also think there should be major penalties just for being involved in instances. The reason for this is, as we know, courts and juries some how are more lenient on atletes who are either guilty are should have been found guilty (i.e. o.j. simpson, ray lewis) but I say just by allowing them selves to be in involved in those situations, being around the criminal aspect of life, shows poor judgement at best. I know there are some mitigating circumstances and they must be allowed for but this should be the blue print of a plan to stop this crap. Atheletes and celebrities make a hell of alot more money and get a hell of alot more perks then the average person and should be held to a higher standered to be able to receive those paychecks and perks. Heck most of these people become role models to our children and really profit from being made famous. I'm sorry, but seeing in lights " pro players superstar/ convicted felon does not work for me and should not work for any caring and resposible parent out there.

If a player is involved in criminal acts or moraly wrong situations, stop buying the jersey, stop going to the autograph signings and etc., show your displeasure at the games,with signs of denouncements or just dont go to games and let the whole industry know you are not supporting those kind of of offenses any more. I have now been a fan of the Washington Redskins since 1971, thats 42 years and counting. But over the years especially the last 10 I have lost enthusiasm for players and the game.    

The arrests do seem to be escalating and maybe the league should step up the efforts. I think putting the pressure on the teams to have personnel work more with the players in that regard could be better than just increasing consequences alone.

Thread title should be more in reference to player conduct and arrests. At first look I thought it should be ATN, plus there's no mention of the Colts player.

this generation is a gun culture and "disrespect"

you are a coward if you need a gun instead of settling with fists like the old days.  I laugh at disrespect, I could care less what anyone thinks about me as long as I am happy with myself.. I think the ones who get "disrepected' have low self esteem

Sorry It's not just athletes, it's most people who have some great talent or position greater than the common man. Plenty of pepole in higher up positions get away with all kinds of crap legally, or receive leniency based on who they are and what they do.(celebrity, sports figure, political figure, etc.) 

It's never been a society where all pepole are judged and created equally. Probably never will be.

I don't disagree with the OP though. More should be done, penalties need to be more strict and individuals be held accountable for their poor judgement.

It's a selfish, egocentric, disregard for your fellow man(woman), entitled, in some cases lack of parenting generation out there now with little respect for anything.

How many plumbers have been arrested since the Super bowl?

What about CPAs?

How many people get arrested every single day that are not newsworthy names?

MumboSauce is exactly right. We worship bad people, We elevate cheats and thieves and killers. Compassion and thought is viewed as weakness. 

~Bang

I apologize to all if the title to this thread was misleading. It was not my intent as this was the first thread i have started here on Extremeskins. To Wakka Wakka, thanks for breaking down to be more readable and understandable,  Mumbo Sauce seemed to agree but yet disagree  ie: "I don't agree with the OP though". I am advocating more and sever punishments. To Bang, I am not sure what you are saying concerning plumbers etc. but if my point is not clear to all, excuse me as I am not talking about the everyday lay person here. Those people are usually condemed by the society around them and most certainly serve time, lose jobs and suffer fines they can not pay. I am talking about those who have extreme talents and are garnishing great notoriety and rewards via popularity, national attention, endorsements etc.

4. Please post your message in the appropriate forum.
Familiarize yourself with each forum description. Please be considerate and respectful to our visitors who frequent particular forums to gain knowledge on particular topics. Resist the temptation to post irrelevant topics in an inappropriate forum to achieve a wider audience. Moderators may move your post if it's more relevant to another forum or administer a penalty.

this generation is a gun culture and "disrespect"

you are a coward if you need a gun instead of settling with fists like the old days.  I laugh at disrespect, I could care less what anyone thinks about me as long as I am happy with myself.. I think the ones who get "disrepected' have low self esteem

I tend to think that this generation is anything but a "gun culture." When I was a kid, everyone I knew had firearms. Todays younger generations have only seen them on videogames. My teenage daughters have been shooting their whole lives, but have yet to show that their gun skills give them any street cred. The Colts player surely knew that firearm possession in our nations capital is illegal (political discussion intentionally left out here.) If he is that fearful of walking the streets of DC, perhaps he should simply avoid them.

Well, my point about plumbers is that no matter what profession, there will be a percentage of knuckleheads and immature selfish idiots.

As far as these people having great talents...   figure this.

They do have talent, and even the worst NFL player was the best athlete his county or neighborhood had likely ever seen. There are a number of them who live charmed lives as a result (not necessarily in any change of surrounding, but in terms of worship of those around them.)

They aren't told no. Most of them have been treated like this since they were kids. (Grades? Pass him, i need him to play! Arrested? Let him out! I need him to play! )

Spoiled kids often grow into spoiled adults, and spoiled adults cause problems for those around them.

People who live like that sometimes grow into bullies, and bullies tend to think their charmed status in their small lives will carry over into their lives on the grand stage.

I prefer to think of it like so..  for every guy like this Colts player, or Hernandez, there's ten like Alfred Morris,  or RG3, Humble people who work hard and achieve greatness and are terrific assets to everyone around them.

This glass isn't half empty..  it's 3/4 full.

~Bang

How many plumbers have been arrested since the Super bowl?

What about CPAs?

How many people get arrested every single day that are not newsworthy names?

MumboSauce is exactly right. We worship bad people, We elevate cheats and thieves and killers. Compassion and thought is viewed as weakness. 

~Bang

Simultaneously, because we do deify these athletes at such a young age it's not unreasonable for their head's to get inflated and for their maturity or common sense to lag.  Why shouldn't they get away with things in the legal system.  People have bent backwards for them most of their lives in schools and other settings.  Authority figures not only often look the other way, but interfere with helping them get away with misbehavior.

With that reality in their head, to some degree, it's a marvel the numbers are as low as they are.

I'm sure we've all heard the stories of colleges and universities graduating players who lack elementary reading skills.  To Burgold's point, I'd think the crimes themselves would be much worse...but then I think of Aaron Hernandez...what could possibly be worse?  He's leaving a trail of dead bodies in his wake. :(

it is also true that in the old days, the law tended to look the other way if the star player was who they just found driving around drunk.

Can't do that anymore even if they wanted to, so there's going to seem like there's more bad guys than there maybe once were regardless.

Put it this way.. if Sonny or Billy were hauled up on ESPN and TMZ and Gossip.com every time THEY got busted for having a few, people would villify them.

Different eras,, maybe not so many different people.

ALSO< i recall about 20 years ago when Scotty Pippen got busted with an unregisterd gun, he said that a lot of athletes carry protection simply because they are SO high profile, and there are people who may have lost a LOT of money based on a bad pass or a foul or what have you. Some of them can be quite confrontational. Charles Barkley echoed the same thing when he was busted a few times for fighting in bars.

Often when i read about an athlete in a bar fight, this is what I think about. Some people may not have lost any money or anything for which they blame the athlete, but who hasn't met that dip**** with Little Man syndrome who just HAS to pick a fight with the biggest person he can find?

I'm not saying it's good, but some of these guys may not be carrying a gun to pretend they're a thug, and they may never intend to use it in any way but protection.

EDIT: this does not include guys like Aaron Hernandez, Rae Carruth, Marvin Harrison, etc. Murderers aren't the same as what i'm talking about. 

~Bang

The justice system exists so that I don't have to worry about this.  If they do something bad enough they'll go to prison and suspensions and fines won't matter.  

Also I think a 4 game suspension is a bigger deal than people realize.  Remember that pro sports are a small window to earn most of the income a player is likely to earn in their entire lives.  They have been working towards this goal from the age of 5.  If you suspend a player for one year... whats the equivalent damage to a CPA or doctor?  A 5 or 10 year suspension from work?  

Just because morons keep getting arrested doesn't mean that the consequences aren't strong.  Ever notice how despite there being a death penalty in Texas... there is always someone else to put to death?  That's because consequences don't always stop behavior.  The NFL is already the least favorable league for players of the three major sports.   

I think this is the 28th arrest since the Super Bowl. Is Goodell being to lenient on these players?

Important for us Dads to be role models for our children rather than sport personalities. Guess Barkley was right.

Makes you appreciate some of our young Redskins even more.

Character counts.

~Bang

Archived