Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Miami and Indy are going to push for the BUlls record of 72 wins.

If Indy gets out of this road trip with only a loss, they could do it.

Indy's schedule picks up big time.

@Spurs, @ Thunder on a back to back

Then home for Miami, Bobcats and Pistons.

Then @ Miami

Then home for Houston.

The Pacers are good, but they have been feasting on a remarkably easy early schedule. I could see them with five or six losses at the end of December.

It's starts to get real for Miami soon as well.

They have a four-game road trip that ends with Indy. Then a homestand with Indy and Atlanta. Then a 4-game road trip that ends in Denver. Then Golden State at home. They have not played Indy or any of the good Western clubs yet.

And Miami is not going to try for any regular season records. That win streak last year nearly ruined their season. They were exhausted by the end of that and still had the entire playoffs in front of them.

Both teams will hit the mid 60s though because the East is terrible.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

we'll see

the same factors at hand for the Bulls in '95-96 are there for Indy also.

No, they aren't.

By the way, just spent ten minutes trying to make McQueen's trade of Asik to Cleveland happen. It can be done, easily by the numbers for Cleveland. But you either give up the #1 pick in the 2013 draft, the #4 pick in the 2012 draft, or the #4 pick in the 2011 draft.

I don't know how you can sell that to the fans. I also don't know where Asik fits on a team with Verejao and Bynum.

Both teams will hit the mid 60s though because the East is terrible.

Yep.  They will have game after game after game against patsies like Milwaukee, Cleveland, Orlando, Detroit and, of course, the entire Atlantic Division.   Both of those teams are going to rack up the wins, and get into the high 60s.

Meanwhile, out west you have 2 lousy teams out of 15.   Utah and Sacramento.  Everyone else is pretty good or very good or extremely good.  55 wins out west will be a hell of an accomplishment.    Hell, my Warriors are the 8 seed right now, and I am pretty sure they would be no worse than the 3 seed in the East if they got to play that eastern schedule.  

No, they aren't.

By the way, just spent ten minutes trying to make McQueen's trade of Asik to Cleveland happen. It can be done, easily by the numbers for Cleveland. But you either give up the #1 pick in the 2013 draft, the #4 pick in the 2012 draft, or the #4 pick in the 2011 draft.

I don't know how you can sell that to the fans. I also don't know where Asik fits on a team with Verejao and Bynum.

Yeah it's a tough pill to swallow and this management certainly can't make it. But I'd deal Thompson for Asik if I were them.

You have to waive Bynum no matter what IMO. He's cooked and you can't let him trigger the guaranteed portion of his deal. It was a long shot anyway. You can't pay him 12 million the next two years. Unless Cleveland doesn't have anything better to spend money on. Getting Asik would just make waiving Bynum easy.

Then you have Varejao come off the bench. He probably needs to at this point, his health is really unreliable. But he is good so Cleveland wouldn't just want to dump him.

Then trade Waiters for Evan Turner? Shumpert is interesting too.

Keeping Bennett is a tough call. They would need a PF. But if he is a total bust, keeping him is destructive.

They need starters and guys who can play defense.

Afflalo would also be a really nice get for Cleveland too IMO. I think he could fit well with Kyrie Irving and he has been a good defensive player in the past. But you don't really want to buy high on him. And Waiters doesn't make sense for Orlando.

They need starters and guys who can play defense.

Afflalo would also be a really nice get for Cleveland too IMO. I think he could fit well with Kyrie Irving and he has been a good defensive player in the past. But you don't really want to buy high on him. And Waiters doesn't make sense for Orlando.

I'm not sure Waiters makes a lot of sense anywhere - at least not as a starter. His destiny is to be the first guard off the bench for a decent team.

Anyway, the player that absolutely murders Cleveland is Jarrett Jack. And they have him for four more freaking years. When your star is ball-dominating point guard who has a tendency to go into business for himself, your first guard off the bench can't be a ball-dominating point guard who has a tendency to go into business for himself. And you can't pair either of them with a ball-dominating shooting guard who has a tendency to go into business for himself. 

Cleveland has gone from up and coming to team to badly built mess as fast as any team I have ever seen. They have a ton of intriguing pieces and none of them fit together at all.

I'm not sure Waiters makes a lot of sense anywhere - at least not as a starter. His destiny is to be the first guard off the bench for a decent team.

Anyway, the player that absolutely murders Cleveland is Jarrett Jack. And they have him for four more freaking years. When your star is ball-dominating point guard who has a tendency to go into business for himself, your first guard off the bench can't be a ball-dominating point guard who has a tendency to go into business for himself. And you can't pair either of them with a ball-dominating shooting guard who has a tendency to go into business for himself. 

Cleveland has gone from up and coming to team to badly built mess as fast as any team I have ever seen. They have a ton of intriguing pieces and none of them fit together at all.

Same thing happened in Minnesota though I don't remember people thinking they were really promising. They wasted a lot of resources to get to the Love/Pekovic/Rubio mix. Wesley Johnson, bust. Beasley, bust. Johnny Flynn, bust. Derrick Williams, bust.

That seems to be what you get when you overload positions with young talent and deprive them of opportunities for minutes early on. Cleveland just has too many undersized bigs and ball dominant guards.

Milwaukee is wasting some talent with redundancy too. Henson + Ilyasova + Sanders is too many skinny bigs.

And Detroit might being doing it too with Monroe, Drummond, and Smith. Difference is each of those three are extremely attractive assets.

And the Wizards situation with Otto Porter and Ariza/Webster seems similar too except that Ariza and Webster aren't exactly high upside assets that teams are coming and calling about. But they definitely wasted draft assets picking Vesely/Singleton in 2011 then trading for Okafor and Ariza and signing Webster the next year.

Orlando has an overload at SG and tweener forward.

Even OKC did it with the Jeff Green pick.

It's a pretty common pattern. Everything about the NBA says you have to go BPA in the draft or you'll regret it. But when BPA yields a player at a position of strength, then you have to start trading, and most teams don't make that move in time to save their assets's value. It's always going to be a tough sell to trade players who are good to make room for unknowns. If you make that gamble and lose then you're even more screwed than if you do nothing.

Same thing happened in Minnesota though I don't remember people thinking they were really promising. They wasted a lot of resources to get to the Love/Pekovic/Rubio mix. Wesley Johnson, bust. Beasley, bust. Johnny Flynn, bust. Derrick Williams, bust.

That seems to be what you get when you overload positions with young talent and deprive them of opportunities for minutes early on. Cleveland just has too many undersized bigs and ball dominant guards.

Milwaukee is wasting some talent with redundancy too. Henson + Ilyasova + Sanders is too many skinny bigs.

And Detroit might being doing it too with Monroe, Drummond, and Smith. Difference is each of those three are extremely attractive assets.

And the Wizards situation with Otto Porter and Ariza/Webster seems similar too except that Ariza and Webster aren't exactly high upside assets that teams are coming and calling about. But they definitely wasted draft assets picking Vesely/Singleton in 2011 then trading for Okafor and Ariza and signing Webster the next year.

Orlando has an overload at SG and tweener forward.

Even OKC did it with the Jeff Green pick.

It's a pretty common pattern. Everything about the NBA says you have to go BPA in the draft or you'll regret it. But when BPA yields a player at a position of strength, then you have to start trading, and most teams don't make that move in time to save their assets's value. It's always going to be a tough sell to trade players who are good to make room for unknowns. If you make that gamble and lose then you're even more screwed than if you do nothing.

The issue with Cleveland right now is that they would probably be selling low on all their assets.

I completely agree that they have to make a move. It's just really hard to swallow trading the #4 pick 18 months ago for an 8 points a game scorer who you need because the #1 overall pick can't play.

Cleveland is in a position now where they absolutely have to make moves and every single one of those moves is going to piss of the fan base.

The Jeff Green pick was the classic "We are loading up for a deep playoff run" move...and it worked to a certain degree. It also helped that they had two legit superstars and a superstar in waiting on that team.

Cleveland needs to dump some guys just to stop sucking.

Here's a question: Could Rondo play with Irving?

That's why I think Cleveland has to fire their FO. Those guys can't bail on all of those early draft picks. If there is new management, then it'll be easier to sell major roster changes to the fan base. It'll still suck, but at least it's doable.

Interesting you pair Irving with Rondo. Back in 2011 in the Wizards thread, when there was a chance we could pick #1, we had a similar debate. Do you take Irving or do you settle for DWill because of Wall? The intuitive arguments worked both ways and it was a conundrum. Now it's clear Kyrie is way better than DWill and he truly was the no brainer #1 at the time. You simply can not pass that over if your picking #1. So a bunch of us decided we should just take Kyrie and then figure out how to make it work. Wall guards the opposing 2s generally speaking, and Kyrie spends a lot more time playing off the ball as a shooter on offense.

I think it could have worked except that it would have meant Kyrie would not have gotten to use his off the dribble scoring quite so much, and his individual numbers would take a dip. It's a similar dynamic with Rondo. Except that neither are big enough to credibly guard 2s. Rondo is a legit PG defender too, you can't take him off the ball. So you'd be desperately trying to hide Kyrie defensively every night. So that's an issue. But if Phoenix can make it work so well with Bledsoe and Goran Dragic starting, then I don't see why a more talented Rondo/Irving pairing wouldn't work. Kyrie would have to accept a lesser role though probably, sort of like Ray Allen did.

I'm actually legitimately excited about watching a potential Wall/Irving/George/LeBron line up in the AS game though.

I just said Rondo, because if the Celtics are still interested in dumping him, they could get back Waiters and Thompson with any team throwing in a draft pick to the team that whines the most. I think Boston should get one back, but Cleveland may see it differently.

Then again, I'm not sure if I'm Boston and have all these draft picks coming to me that I want to dump Rondo for more young talent. Rondo is a great player on a great contract. I kind of want to see what Stevens comes up with for him.

So Kidd has now reassigned his assistant coach Lawrence Frank, the highest paid in the NBA with a six year deal, to essentially pushing paper. He won't be on the bench or at practice but he will be doing "daily reports", whatever that means. This after starting the year off suspended for a DUI, after getting fined for his stupid soda spill timeout, and after starting the season 5-13.

I can't help but wonder how long Kidd has to turn that disaster around. A lot of coaches around the league are winning with less talent.

Edited by Destino

27 points behind the Raptors late in the 3rd quarter?  No problem, Warriors.  

Just outscore them 42-15 in the 4th.

Just take zero midrange shots (every single shot was either a 3 or a layup/dunk/bank in)  

Just give up zero defensive rebounds for the entire quarter

Just have an offensive efficiency of 207 for the quarter (that means that they scored over two points per possession for the quarter).  

Denver Nuggets have quietly won 7 in a row....

Oh, they've been on a 7 game homestand?    :P

(just giving you grief - yes, the advantage that the Nuggets get at home altitude is ridiculous, but they are actually looking really good lately)