Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Another thing...Giannis REALLY keeps his TOs down.  I just took a quick look and thought that they'd be higher since he became the primary ball-handler for the Bucks. 

I think there are way more positives and upside with this move than negatives.  But like SM said...the success of GA at the point, full time next year, will also rely on how the rest of the team is constructed. 

Warriors probably break the record, but in a head to head matchup I think Jordan's Bulls would take them in a 5 or 7 game series.  Steph is cute and fun but Jordan and Pippen would find a way to lock him down.  IMO, I don't think anyone gets physical enough with him.  

Probably because Curry is a 90 percent free throw shooter when you do.  

Jordan's Bulls might win that series, but I think it is pretty close.   Those Bulls teams were much less deep.  Jordan and Pippen were unbelievable, but guys like Kerr and Harper and Wennington and Longley and Buechler would get exposed pretty badly.  And no one on the Warriors tries to beat you one-on-one, not even Curry.  Doubling him outside just puts the ball in Draymond's hands, with Klay and Barnes either spotting up from three or diving the lane.   Everyone in the Warriors rotation is an above average passer for their position other than maybe Klay.   

I also love the idea that Steph is just cute and fun.  He is having the most efficient offensive season in the history of professional basketball.   It's not just outside shooting - he leads all guards in field goal percentage in the paint too.   And he gets knocked down a lot in the process.       

• Like 1

Warriors probably break the record, but in a head to head matchup I think Jordan's Bulls would take them in a 5 or 7 game series.  Steph is cute and fun but Jordan and Pippen would find a way to lock him down.  IMO, I don't think anyone gets physical enough with him.  

How would those two stand up against the greatest team ever: The 2010 Orlando Magic?

You're talking about going to great lengths just to make playing Giannis out of his natural position of SF/PF workable. Doesn't make sense to do this. Just keep him at forward and run some plays through him occasionally. He doesn't need to run point and bring the ball up court. I can't overstate how good the ball handling skills are for real NBA PGs, or how difficult it is to get the ball up court against NBA caliber pressure. And that's just the basic head up ball handling duties of the position covered, actually running an offense from half court is a different animal.

I'm not sure he has a natural position.

If anything, I would not be eager to stick to orthodox positions in the modern NBA. I mean, the Warriors still go to great lengths and take huge defensive risks by playing Draymond at the 5. Maybe someone should tell them that he's a natural stretch 4 and that it's not workable long-term.

• Like 2

Giannis might be the first guy since Lebron to be able to play all 5 positions on the floor.  In today's NBA where we're seeing an increasing amount of small-ball, etc...you could see him get some run at the 5. 

Bucks are going to be an interesting team to watch next year. 

LeBron was never Miami's point guard.  He was one of their primary ball handlers but not their PG.  And Giannis is nowhere close to as good as LeBron.  Especially not Prime LeBron.  If Kidd is seriously going to start Giannis at PG, he's crazy and the experiment will last until they make a panic trade or signing to bring in a real PG.  There is a world of difference between being effective at catching and straight line driving from the perimeter and finishing plus running fast breaks plus running drive and dish and actually playing point guard.

I just realized that you have no idea how long this Giannis at PG experiment has been going on. He's been playing the position really well for about 5 weeks.

Since the All-Star break, his minutes are up, his assists are way way up, and his turnovers are exactly the same.

They've been getting pounded by some pretty good teams as of late, but what this move really does is allow them to deal with the fact that their best guys are all kind of the same player.

I haven't watched a ton of Bucks games, but I've seen enough of this to realize that Giannis has the instincts of a distributor. And he's such a ridiculous athlete that he can make passes from locations and angles than your normal 6'3 guards simply can't.

He desperately needs to improve his outside shooting. That's going to be the issue here long term.

But for all the issues I have with Kidd, I can't think of many better guys to teach someone not only to be a point guard but to become a competent long-range shooter mid career.

(Parker needs to get better from the 3 point line too. If they could shoot competently, a 6'11 point guard, a 6'8'' shooting guard, and a 6'9 small forward around Greg Monroe is guide of fascinating on paper).

Michael Carter Williams seems like he's going to be one of those dudes who plays 14 years on 13 teams.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

PG is the hardest position if you give it the traditional Chris Paul/Rajon Rondo type ball-dominant responsibilities.   Of course Giannis can't do that.  And of course he isn't going to guard the opposing PG.  

Look, Steph Curry is a point guard, but half the time someone else brings up the ball for the Warriors and if you press and double Curry, he gives it up and plays off ball.  Curry probably could lead the league in assists if he dominated the ball like Rondo does, but they don't use him that way.  Hell, the great Chicago teams of the 1990s didn't even have a point guard.   John Paxson and Steve Kerr were point guards in name only.  They would get 3 or 4 assists per game.  

It depends on how Kidd structures the rest of the team.  Will there be other ballhandlers, and will there be enough shooters to keep defenses honest so they can't just trap all the time?  If so, it can work.  

Their shooting is a major problem. But it was a major problem with Michael Carter Williams at point, because he can't shoot either.

I think the theory here is that a fast break led by Giannis with Parker on one side and Khris Middleton on the other is kind of terrifying. And in the half court, you have mismatches all over the place. The issue is that they just don't stretch the floor enough to really expose those mismatches. But, 3 point shooting is the one place dudes make dramatic leaps in an off-season.

Probably because Curry is a 90 percent free throw shooter when you do.

Jordan's Bulls might win that series, but I think it is pretty close. Those Bulls teams were much less deep. Jordan and Pippen were unbelievable, but guys like Kerr and Harper and Wennington and Longley and Buechler would get exposed pretty badly. And no one on the Warriors tries to beat you one-on-one, not even Curry. Doubling him outside just puts the ball in Draymond's hands, with Klay and Barnes either spotting up from three or diving the lane. Everyone in the Warriors rotation is an above average passer for their position other than maybe Klay.

That Bulls team also had size all over the court but they would be slow by today's standards which worked back then but now a team like the Warriors would expose that. I could see the Bulls being completely gassed late. Even a half second here or there as the result of fatigue opens up a quick 3 or pass for GS. Even the Warriors 2nd unit is fast and pushes the pace.

Would be a fun matchup

Is Russell's action's worse than when Kobe told the police Shaq paid off his girls to keep them quiet about his affairs?

its much worse.

not even close. For one, Kobe didnt publish the audio while Russell uploaded it.

Russell's intentions were to play Nick Young while Kobe was shook and facing a rape charge.

• Like 1

If they played by current rules, then the Bulls would struggle to guard the Warriors. If they played by 1995 rules then the Bulls would mug Golden State's ball handlers all the way down the court.

Pippen and Rodman would have a field day with Draymond Green.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

Thing that people forget about Rodman is that he could score. He chose to play a different type of game that fit his skills better. 

There was a game where he made 4 or 5 3's when he was with the Bulls. Jordan and Pippen took the pressure off of him, which he needed. 

Incredible positioning, great athleticism, came to play every night, extremely passionate player and his teams fed off of it. 

Edited by Kosher Ham

Think that people forget about Rodman is that he could score.

is there any evidence of this other than his NAIA averages?

Draymond>>>>Rodman.

Much Better offensive player (altho Rodman's passing was underrated), and a better defender. Better rim protector, can guard the 3-5 (Rodman could guard 1-3 early in his career when he was lighter, while he could guard 4s and 5s as he was older).

Draymond is a special, special, special player.

Rodman is a better rebounder, but if he had to do what Draymond does then his rebound numbers would dip.

Rodman was a defensive beast that prided himself on defense and rebounding.  There were games where he scored 20-30+ points, while few and not known to be a scorer, he could.  He simply chose to do the dirty work and clean up the glass and allow others that were better offensively do their jobs.

Hell, the man holds 5 of the top 8 rebounds per game percentage in a season, where he is ranked #1, #2, #5, #7 and #8.....

Rodman was a force, not sure how old some on here are, but it was fun watching him play ball.

Lakers balling hard tonight.  Hope they pull out the W, helps the Hornets seeding :D

• Like 1

Agreed. 

I suppose we are around the same age...I recall the announcers setting up Malone. 

Rodman was amazing in that series match up. Then the announcers talked about how rarely Malone turns the ball over...Jordan knocks it out of his hands. 

• Like 1

They will likely find a way to screw it up. Frustrating to watch this Lakers team. 

Yeah, but it's the Lakers, they will be great again.  Once Kobe is gone.  Personally, I think this entire Kobe Farewell Tour is ****ing stupid and a distraction to the Lakers team.  

I love Kobe, I loved watching him play, but when it's your time to go, just go out playing ball.

He should have retired about 3 years ago. He wanted 6 and 7...too late for that now, they screwed it up, and I think he is just cashing in at this point which is sad. 

Besides Jackson there has never been a coach more powerful than Kobe. They are a mess. 

Reminds me of the team with Smush Parker, Walton, and a bunch of scrubs. Odom was the only player that even made that season interesting. 

I miss Doc Buss running the show, hell, I miss Cooke running the show. 

• Like 1

It's too early to declare Draymond better than Rodman.  Rodman has more rings than Green has years in the league.  Draymond is a great defender, not sure I'm convinced he can really guard the better small forwards, but he certainly can hold his own against PF/Cs, even when he's so much smaller it doesn't seem possible.  Rodman was also a great defender, and secured 7 time defensive first team selections and 2 time defensive player of the year awards.  Rodman appears on lists of the best NBA defenders of all time, which will always be arguable but the point remains he's in that discussion.  Draymond just hasn't played long enough to be that kind of great yet. 

Offensively I think Green benefits from playing on a team that passes the ball so well and creates so much space, he's great in space because he can shoot and he's a terrific passer.  I'm less impressed by the scoring part of his offense.  When he tries to create his own scoring opportunities he doesn't seem to have much polish to his game.  All that said, he's a much better offensive players than Rodman and he's asked to do more on that end of the floor than Rodman ever was. 

While we are on the subject the 95-96 bulls team that set the wins record had three defensive first team players in the same season. 

file_170865_0_JordanRodmanPippen.jpg

That's kind of amazing. 

He should have retired about 3 years ago. He wanted 6 and 7...too late for that now, they screwed it up, and I think he is just cashing in at this point which is sad. 

Besides Jackson there has never been a coach more powerful than Kobe. They are a mess. 

Reminds me of the team with Smush Parker, Walton, and a bunch of scrubs. Odom was the only player that even made that season interesting. 

I miss Doc Buss running the show, hell, I miss Cooke running the show. 

It really is sad man.  He played 9 mins in the 1st tonight, 2 points, then left the game with soreness in his shoulder.  Yet they continue the parade.  I'm sure it hurt FA signings for them.  Once Kobe is finally retired, things will most likely get better for LA, imo.  

I don't know why people keep comparing Draymond to Rodman.

A much closer comparison is Draymond to Pippen. Good defense, extremely smart, great passers, point forward, can score if needed but do everything else more.

Here's an interesting stat

1h1 hour ago

GSWStats ‏@gswstats

Draymond Green has become the first player in NBA history with 1,000 pts, 500 reb, 500 ast, 100 stl & 100 blk in a season (@ESPNStatsInfo)

Rodman was incredible but he was not the all around player that Pippen was or Dray currently is. His offense was primitive. Yes, he made a few threes one time. Mostly he was just a garbageman on offense.

• Like 1