Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I'm fine with a team rebuilding, but I question the sanity of trying to develop an entire roster full of young players at the same time.  At some point Philly has to reach the conclusion that they like who they've drafted and start signing veterans and hope that everyone on the roster hasn't adopted a losing culture. 

No one rigs the lottery.   There is zero percent chance that the NBA affirmatively wanted all those top picks to go to a media wasteland like Cleveland.   Cleveland just got lucky.  That's all.

I might ... *might*  be willing to entertain the idea that Stern rigged it for the Knicks to get Patrick Ewing, but that was 30 years ago.    

Ugh. Cousins is good and all, but you stink for five years and acquire all these assets....for a surly guy whose going to lead you to 35 or 40 wins.

I think Cousins could be a superstar on a better team.  Sure, he's surly.   So is Kobe.  That doesn't matter.

Cannot figure out why hoops mad Kentucky doesn't have an NBA franchise in Louisville. Seems like a slam dunk to me. 

Tiny media market, Memphis and Charlotte too closeby serving a similar Appalachian demographic.   Not enough money to go around there, IMO.   

If I was adding NBA teams, I'd send one back to Seattle, one to Las Vegas, maybe return to St. Louis or San Diego, maybe add a second team in Chicago before I would consider Louisville.

Edited by Predicto

Kansas City has an arena ready to go.

I have a buddy that runs an area around there and believes that the market could take it.

Thing with NBA either a team moves or you add multiple.

Which is moving or which other city is worth investing another team in ?

ABA team ? How long ago was that TEG ?

Predicto is right, the market isn't big enough to support both. They are so ingrained into the college game these days, it would be difficult to pull them away.

And more importantly, there isn't a lot of extra money swirling around there looking to buy tv ads or luxury boxes.  The Louisville media market fits just between Rochester NY and Richmond VA in size and is only 97th in household income among the metro areas of the country.    

Seattle is big and rich.  San Diego is big and almost as rich.  St Louis market is over twice as big as Louisville's and richer.  Chicago is freaking huge and wealthy and could support another team.   If you went to Las Vegas, you would have tourists buying tickets and hotels including them in their package deals.   

Louisville would make sense instead of one of the other teams in the region.  But not in addition, IMO, for the same reason that you don't put a team in Cincinnati or Nashville.

Kansas City has an arena ready to go.

True, and it's a lot bigger than Louisville (and St Louis doesn't have a team).  Add KC to the list.

Now that Sacramento and Milwaukee are stabilized, there aren't any teams that are candidates to move.  Maybe you could see more expansion down the road but I can't see it happening any time soon.  I think the NBA learned it's lesson about expanding too quickly in the 90's.

I don't know if the NBA should expand at this point.  Maybe they should just have teams play some "home games" at nearby locations where they are sure to get a crowd.  The Wizards could play in Richmond and Baltimore, as an example.  Could even play all the preseason games in China, being that essentially no one in the US even bothers to watch them and they aren't nationally televised.  Now that I think about it the NBA could play it's preseason virtually anywhere in the world and draw crowds. 

Louisville sold out their arena for a Heat-Pelicans game.  Louisville is where the Grizzlies should have moved when they left Vancouver.  But my understanding is that U of L boosters worked hard to prevent that occurrence.

Selling out your arena once for a one-of-a-kind event can happen anywhere.   Fresno, Albuquerque, Grand Rapids.   The question is who is going to buy season tickets, and what businesses are going to buy ad time and luxury boxes?  

But I agree that if Memphis didn't have a team, or Indy didn't have a team, Louisville might be a good choice.    

I don't know if the NBA should expand at this point.  Maybe they should just have teams play some "home games" at nearby locations where they are sure to get a crowd.  The Wizards could play in Richmond and Baltimore, as an example.  Could even play all the preseason games in China, being that essentially no one in the US even bothers to watch them and they aren't nationally televised.  Now that I think about it the NBA could play it's preseason virtually anywhere in the world and draw crowds. 

I would add two teams.   32 teams would improve scheduling, would allow you to break up the East/West division into N/S/E/W,  and do stuff like allow Memphis to move where it belongs geographically.

Maybe 4 divisions:

East - Boston, Knicks, Nets, Toronto, Philly, Wizards, Charlotte, Cleveland?

South -  Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, New Orleans, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, OKC?

Midwest - Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, Milwaukee, Indiana, Memphis, Denver, New team in St. Louis or KC?

West - Portland, Sacto, Golden State, Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Utah, new team in Seattle?

The question is who is going to buy season tickets, and what businesses are going to buy ad time and luxury boxes?

I have a close friend that works for an NHL team (his name is on the cup so he's not just some janitorial guy like most of the friends you people hang out with).

Anyway, luxury boxes and ad space are the major focus for them. Season tix sell themselves for the most part if the team is decent but getting multiple big corporate sponsors is a major challenge is smaller markets.

At what point does Melo come into play as a trade target for young teams that are bad but close and have stockpiled trade assets?

I know market is apparently all he cared about when he signed his extension.  But if the guy wants to compete for a ring before his prime is over, he's going to have to follow the talent.

For example, stick Melo on Utah and how good does that team suddenly look?  Or what about Boston?

Louisville sold out their arena for a Heat-Pelicans game.  Louisville is where the Grizzlies should have moved when they left Vancouver.  But my understanding is that U of L boosters worked hard to prevent that occurrence.

The Celtics used to play two games a year in Hartford and always sold those out. That doesn't mean Hartford needs a team.

I would add two teams.   32 teams would improve scheduling, would allow you to break up the East/West division into N/S/E/W,  and do stuff like allow Memphis to move where it belongs geographically.

Maybe 4 divisions:

East - Boston, Knicks, Nets, Toronto, Philly, Wizards, Charlotte, Cleveland?

South -  Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, New Orleans, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, OKC?

Midwest - Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, Milwaukee, Indiana, Memphis, Denver, New team in St. Louis or KC?

West - Portland, Sacto, Golden State, Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Utah, new team in Seattle?

Pittsburgh probably has the best new arena of any non NBA team, but I'm not sure that city can support 4 major sports.

The Celtics used to play two games a year in Hartford and always sold those out. That doesn't mean Hartford needs a team.

Pittsburgh probably has the best new arena of any non NBA team, but I'm not sure that city can support 4 major sports.

Probably not.  Not sandwiched between a team in Philly and a team in Cleveland already.  That whole rustbelt region is shrinking in population, not growing.   The growth is south and west.

I've spent all day learning the Rockets' roster and deciding who my favorite player is.

I'm reading for my guys to take on Steph Curry and friends.

Better reading than ready.

Because Houston will never be ready for the juggernaut that is the Dubs

Bam oh yeahhhhhh

06hHK4z.gif

oh - and the answer clearly is Corey Brewer

Edited by Predicto

At what point does Melo come into play as a trade target for young teams that are bad but close and have stockpiled trade assets?

I know market is apparently all he cared about when he signed his extension. But if the guy wants to compete for a ring before his prime is over, he's going to have to follow the talent.

For example, stick Melo on Utah and how good does that team suddenly look? Or what about Boston?

I'm sure he'll be a Knick for life. More so than market, I think he enjoys being the lone wolf/top dog

Plus if you put him on the Jazz, I could only see them beating like 1 or 2 of the top 8 west teams

I'm not sure Melo is a top dog. He'd have to land on a team that was already good, with a capable defense, in order to have a chance of putting a team over the hump in the post season. That's hard to do with the salary cap. He'd help Atlanta, Memphis, LAC, and other teams like that.... and he wouldn't be clapping for the ball any time he liked on any of them. His contract is enormous, he'll likely enjoy his 7th or 8th playoff seeds in NY (if he even gets there) and play out his contract.