Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Bill Callahan, not Jason Garrett, to call Cowboys' plays

The worst-kept secret in the NFL officially is out.

Jerry Jones told reporters Tuesday that offensive coordinator Bill Callahan will handle play-calling duties this season, taking over the role previously held by coach Jason Garrett.

Jones said the decision had been made weeks ago. Back in February, Garrett told reporters that a play-calling decision might not come until after the Cowboys' first preseason game. That seemed odd at the time, and it turned out not to be the case.

Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram said that Callahan later "reluctantly" confirmed his new role, saying he wanted to defer to Garrett on the move becoming official.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone at this point think Garrett is not on the hotseat?

2nd ranked offense in '09

7th ranked offense in '10 (with Jon Kitna starting the bulk of games)

11th ranked offense in '11 (with Romo sits to pee battling rib injuries the hole season)

6th ranked offense in '12 (with Romo sits to pee having one of his best statistical season ever)

...And Jerry Jones took his playcalling duties away.

Oh Jerruh. Please, please, never change.

I know he's the owner and the GM, but I just cannot understand why owners try to get so involved in the day to day "football" part of things.  Contracts, injuries or administrative things I can see, but not coaching stuff.  I love that Jerrah does this, but I cannot imagine being a head coach and putting up with things like this.  And how the hell will he know who is calling the plays anyway.  Everyone will be talking into the headset and Jerrah won't have one on.  I'd tell him to kick rocks or fire me, sit out the year and collect my paycheck.

I know he's the owner and the GM, but I just cannot understand why owners try to get so involved in the day to day "football" part of things.  Contracts, injuries or administrative things I can see, but not coaching stuff.  I love that Jerrah does this, but I cannot imagine being a head coach and putting up with things like this.  And how the hell will he know who is calling the plays anyway.  Everyone will be talking into the headset and Jerrah won't have one on.  I'd tell him to kick rocks or fire me, sit out the year and collect my paycheck.

All it's going to take is a couple early losses this year and things might fall apart pretty fast.

Gotta admire Jerruh's determination to completely ruin his team. 'Tis a thing of beauty.

What is really funny is that Callahan will be the HC next year. Why do I say that? look at how Garrett got the job? He was the Jerry Jones' handpicked OC when Phillips was there. He undermined Phillips every chance he could get in order to get the job. 

Well, what else to say other than. Thank you Jurrah, and keep up the great work. As long as he keeps making calls like this. Once again Jurrah has nuetured his HC. Knee capped Garrett's supposed authority. He maintained he was fully capable of running the offense. One thing is for sure, dallass is and will continue to remain an NFL pretender.

11th ranked offense in '11 (with Romo sits to pee battling rib injuries the hole season)

6th ranked offense in '12 (with Romo sits to pee having one of his best statistical season ever)

Yardage or points?

Yardage

15th in points in 2012

15th in points in 2011

7th in points in 2010

14th in points in 2009.

Even though that's middle of the pack, Bill Callahan has zero offensive coordinator experience. I mean he was Gruden's OC technically, but Gruden did all the game planning and play calling. And he's coming from a WCO background on top of that.

What a train-wreck.  I feel bad for Cowboy fans because we all sort of know what they are currently going through and it is painful. 

I know what you mean, but I don't feel sorry for them, I didn't feel sorry for us either because our own staff made those poor choices, they didn't force themselves into anything. If anything, I think the players suffer going from system to system and coordinator to coordinator.

What is really funny is that Callahan will be the HC next year. Why do I say that? look at how Garrett got the job? He was the Jerry Jones' handpicked OC when Phillips was there. He undermined Phillips every chance he could get in order to get the job. 

What kills me is that Callahan's main focus last year was as offensive line coach.  He was listed as the OC but everyone knows that was Garrett.  What was the main problem with the Cowboys last year?  The offensive line...so what is the solution?  Promote him!!!  Classic.

Yardage or points?

Yardage

15th in points in 2012

15th in points in 2011

7th in points in 2010

14th in points in 2009.

Even though that's middle of the pack, Bill Callahan has zero offensive coordinator experience. I mean he was Gruden's OC technically, but Gruden did all the game planning and play calling. And he's coming from a WCO background on top of that.

He did coach the Raiders for three seasons (without Gruden) and brought them to a Super Bowl. Not positive, but pretty sure he has some play calling experience.

What kills me is that Callahan's main focus last year was as offensive line coach.  He was listed as the OC but everyone knows that was Garrett.  What was the main problem with the Cowboys last year?  The offensive line...so what is the solution?  Promote him!!!  Classic.

It is a classic move by a owner that is considered to be one that everyone wants to play for. But he is the reason why they don't succeed. He is consistently interfering in every aspect of the teams makeup but made to look like a great owner. So why does Dan Snyder get ripped for doing the same in the past but Jerry doesn't. So who do you think will win a Super Bowl next? I think Dan Snyder and the Redskins have a better shot?

Not sure which is scummier... the owner doing this to a head coach or the owner not even allowing that coach the dignity of making the announcement, but just publicly castrating him in such an offhanded way.

Oh, by the way...

Yardage or points?

Yardage

15th in points in 2012

15th in points in 2011

7th in points in 2010

14th in points in 2009.

He did coach the Raiders for three seasons (without Gruden) and brought them to a Super Bowl. Not positive, but pretty sure he has some play calling experience.

When Gruden was in Oakland, Gruden called all the plays. When Callahan was the head coach, Mark Trestman was the O.C and called all the plays. When Callahan, by some miracle, went to Nebraska, Jay Norvell called the plays.

Bill Callahan has literally never called plays on his own at the NFL level, OR at the college level. Since 2009, his offensive lines have ranked 11th, 9th, 20th, and 17th, and one could make the argument that the only reason the Cowboys are ranked 17th is because Romo sits to pee has great pocket-mobily/ability to run for his ****ing life while o-line crumbles to pieces around him.

I just don't get the Cowboys. I don't get what's wrong with Garrett. Is he so stupid he can't do more than one thing at once? Our his other coaches incapable of managing themselves? Is Garrett not calling plays going to clean things up?

I mean...I've never seen one football team be, literally, so dumb. I've never seen a quarterback have to explain, some times on multiple plays in the same drive, where exactly his receivers are supposed to line up and what route their supposed to run. Literally, Romo sits to pee will call a play in the huddle, then have to spend like ten seconds getting everybody lined up in the right ****ing place. In the meanwhile, Rob Ryan's defense is "too complex" for the Cowboys to run, even though the ****ing Browns and Raiders managed to run it just fine. And I say this as someone who thinks Rob Ryan is overrated, but if he ever shut the hell up he'd be a pretty good coordinator. But for whatever reason the Cowboys were just so dazzled by Rob Ryan's defense they couldn't grasp the simpliest, most basic coerages ever.

Is that on Garrett? If it is, why not just fire him, because he's going to get fired if he doesn't win a Super Bowl anyway.

Seriously, in one offseason, Jerry Jones basically emasculated his head coach by stripping him of his play calling duties, and it almost seemed like he didn't even bother coming to a clear conclusion on that with his coach. He slammed the quarterback he just gave a huge contract to by insinuating that he doesn't put enough time in at the facility, and then implied that Romo sits to pee had little-to-no input on game plans, which is as ridiculous as it's probably untrue, and further slams Garrett. He drafts a center in the first round in a move that had everyone in the draft room but him and his son pissed off, pushes gazillions of dollars into future years by restructuring the contracts of aging veterans, has seemingly taken an even MORE visable role than he has previously, and all and all seems more and more dangerously close to senile every day...

...and NO ONE TALKS ABOUT IT. At least not seriously. Almost every "Jerry Jones has too much power" segment on TV morphs into a discussion of how somehow it's Romo sits to pee and/or Garrett's fault instead of honestly evaluating what a piss poor job the guy has done running his football team.

I'm not sure why Snyder gets such a bad rap.  Other than giving the green light to Vinny and others to go after the most expensive big name free agent, I just don't feel he should get the bad rap for being "hands on" like Jerrah does.  Snyder (to my knowledge based on information in here and other places) never was the defacto GM of the team; he never stepped in front of the cameras every chance he could get to let you know about his team's offense or injuries; he never took control of the play calling (yes he did hire the Bingo Caller, but who wouldn't have after the swinging gate fiasco).  His only fault was trying to be a fantasy football owner.  He doesn't do half the crap that Jerrah does, yet gets the same bad rap.

Archived