Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mad Men Season 6: We're Not At Rock Bottom Yet.

Going Commando

I see him being the same ole Don stuck in Groundhog Day if you will (cant love right, ****s up with drinking, etc. every day is the same).

And for the record, **** JOAN! dumb ****.

That's a cool angle as well. Being in a prison he created with his actions that he can't really escape. It's just the same cycle over and over. Maybe the finale would even cut to the late 70s or

80s which would be pretty fascinating to see how these people we've come to love turned out through their business and life experience of the 60s and the entire world changing before them.

Don could still be shown a drunk messing around with women, Peggy is a business executive maybe throw her and Pete together to really come full circle from the first episode of the series. Roger is dead off cocaine from Miami or something. I don't know, I need to think on this idea more.

Don isn't going to jump out of his window. Weiner wouldn't end it like that. And I think they also had some dialogue in an episode a couple weeks ago that kind of repudiated the theory. Don's talking to Freddy Rumsen right after he goes back to work and Freddy's like, "What are you going to kill yourself? Give them what they want?"

I see the show ending with Don becoming a fairly boring old guy from the silent generation. I see a repaired relationship with his kids, and possibly a friendship with Betty. And I see continuation of the genuine friendship between him, Roger, Peggy, and Pete.

I see the show ending with Don becoming a fairly boring old guy from the silent generation. I see a repaired relationship with his kids, and possibly a friendship with Betty. And I see continuation of the genuine friendship between him, Roger, Peggy, and Pete.

The Hershey's meeting was the equivalent of him jumping out the window. And I agree with your theory. 

The ideologies, hairstyles and clothes change around him and Don stays the same. 

I don't expect some ending that tells us much about their long-term future. This isn't the end of the Wonder Years where you find out the future of everybody.

I expect the ending to have some sort of "and things keep moving forward" type of message. The final episodes hopefully don't jump forward years. Months is ok.

It was a great episode. That ending was classic. Roger is still the best character.. love that guy.

so Don is back after a half season of being a nobody. He is somebody again because of Roger.

Long wait till next year but it will likely be worth it as MM rarely disappoints.

And Yes - F Joan!!!! 

I started thinking about the multiple meanings/lessons one could interpret from the show.  One thing I never thought about before with the main chars in the show, specifically the men (Pete, Don, Roger), is while they are different in a lot of ways, they are the same person.  They are all "Don" so to speak. 

I think one of the main meanings/lessons from the show is that no matter how much money/power you have, if you don't stop every once and a while and slow down, life is going to pass you by and the end result is loneliness.  

Taking the approach that the three main men are all "Don", Pete represented a young Don, Don represents his current self, Roger represents an older Don.  Taking it a step further, Cooper could represent the end-stage Don (he wasn't a main character, but important enough in the overall big picture and scheme of things).  Think of it more as all roads lead to the same end result.

So Pete, he was young, hungry will do anything to move up, make money and be in a position of power.  To me, that was Don after Roger gave him a chance.  We never saw entry level Don at the firm, but we see the transformation of Pete, he wanted to be a family man and make money and at the cost of his marriage did so.  The show spans 9 years, so we see Pete being unfaithful, etc.  and it caught up to him, at the end of the day, he's lonely.

We all know Don's story, no need to elaborate.  

Roger, is Don 15 years from now.  Roger, powerful, rich, ladies man.  Divorced, daughter wants nothing to do with him anymore for the most part.  At the end of the day, after all the partying, all the money, all the women.  He's alone.  

Cooper, shell of a man, who was there as a face not so much as a leader overall.  Sure he was married still, but I think he represents the end-game results.  After all the power and money, it doesn't matter if you have overlooked the most important things in life (specifically family, love, children) and not made time for them. Then you die and it's too late, game over, no second chance.

Look at Pete again, he has a chance to turn it around now, if not, he will end up like Don, married again, neglecting his spouse, etc.  Kid probably won't be around him or want to have anything to do with him.  But if he changes now, he can fix things.  Don, personal life is a disaster, but if he changes now, he won't elevate to the level of Roger.  Roger, he waited to late, only thing he really has left is work/money/power.  Cooper, all he had was work since the show started, he dies.  

Another thing that popped up in my head, all three of the main male characters have daughters.  Sure, Don has two boys, but the primary focus is on each of their daughters and relationship, or lack there of.  Pete, his daughter is an infant/one year old.  Pete has time to change and establish a relationship with her.  He doesn't, the relationship ends up like Don with his daughter. 

Don, his daughter is a teenager, who he has had a very rocky relationship with throughout the show. He appears that he is trying to salvage that relationship/bond with his daughter and can still do so, it's not broken beyond repair yet.  He doesn't fix it, his relationship ends up like Rogers.

Roger, his daughter is estranged, almost no relationship at all with him.  Her choosing to leave her own child and husband behind and stay with the hippie cult, screams how damaged she was because Roger was never there for her.  Also, wasn't there mention that he had sent her off to boarding school (which is what Don did to his daughter too)?  Roger tried at the end, but it was beyond fixing and appears that it is completely over now.

• 9 months later...

I am so pumped for this. I really have no idea how it will end or where they will take the story in these last episodes

Yep. Outside of the 'known' things like the new merger and Sterling becoming the new president, just no way to tell. 7A ends on 7/21/69. 7b could be the next day or years later.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to watch it again. It seemed disjointed last night, but I wasn't giving it my full attention.

I'm gonna do the same as well. I was nodding off during a few parts. Feel like for this show, you really have to give it your full attention or it may not make sense.

Roger and Ted's mustaches are something else. They better shave those bad boys they are way too distracting.

Felt really bad for the waitress too. I was convinced that was Midge, his hippie-artist side piece from season 1 but it wasn't. I need to watch those again and figure out what her relevance is. Funny, Don had no idea what she was talking about yet went along with the easy bang. This guy...

I hope Peggy finds happiness with this new guy. She's always been so career oriented and driven to be respected and successful that she is on track to end up just like the rest of them. Alone and unhappy.

I'll have to go back over the episode a second time tonight. You just knew Don as going to end the episode in his apartment. Kind of interesting because Don is in like 5 scenes where he basically shuts down when people are trying to engage with him (Betty, Pete, etc.)

Roger is still the best character and steals every scene he is in...

I didn't dig the waitress too much... kind of below don's standards, especially with the dr's wife in the elevator and all. My wife said she was the vampire wife in Twilight.

Megan looked amazing. Wow.

• 4 weeks later...

This season has been fantastic. I'm incredibly impressed at how meaningful each episode is and also deeply saddened that there are only two more remaining. There are so many ways they can take the show right now into it's conclusion. I already think we have seen the last of several long time characters. 

I have a bunch of thoughts on the last few episodes and where it is heading that I will post later.  What do you guys think so far?

This season has been fantastic. I'm incredibly impressed at how meaningful each episode is and also deeply saddened that there are only two more remaining. There are so many ways they can take the show right now into it's conclusion. I already think we have seen the last of several long time characters. 

I have a bunch of thoughts on the last few episodes and where it is heading that I will post later.  What do you guys think so far?

I somehow, think Don might end up back with Betty, maybe not though.  Joan obviously will take the buy-out and settle with her new man, imo.  Don, I honestly think he is going to leave the business and go back to selling coats or something regular, just seems like he always drifts off into his own little world, not motivated by money, but life.

Pete, kind of hard to predict.  Peggy, the same, we are so used to her being somewhat pushed around/forgotten about.  Her scene with Roger was priceless.  Maybe she becomes a big wig there when everyone else is gone (i.e. Don, Roger, etc.).  Roger, I think is going to just retire, can't really see him doing anything else.  

Good post Taze. I had a terrible feeling something was going to happen to Peggy when she was alone in the office. Nice twist that it was just Roger on the organ which led to a great couple of scenes and interaction between them two. Roger's swag and dominating personality seems to have made an impact and she looks to be taking his advice as she struts into McCann with the octopus/sex painting. She doesn't care anymore, she is going to be herself, the strong woman she always was and not worry about being intimidating to men. That's what Roger brought out of her. I think she rocks that place and it might be the last time we see her. Doubtful but possibly. She was always the true rockstar on the path upward in this show and that will continue now that she has reinvented herself here. She may be the only one here with an optimistic or positively ambiguous ending.

I agree with you about Joan. She came to terms with losing what she had built and worked so hard for, even though some of that was gained through her sexuality and looks, it wasn't worth continuing for with the lack of respect she received. She couldn't start over at this point. Very sad to see it go down like that and still unsure if she will ever find true love or continue to be objectified. I don't like this Captsin Pike guy. He just doesn't seem legit.

I have no idea what's going on with Pete but next episode looks like he is in trouble. That should clear up his arc for the most part. Maybe he can get punched in the face again for old times sake just to really go out with a cheer from the fans.

I think Don is leaving advertising. There is nothing there for him anymore. I doubt he ever gets back to NY too. That scene with Betty felt like goodbye, especially with the last Birdie pet name that we haven't heard in years. Remember the scene where he was asking Peggy what she wanted in life? The things she said were many things he's already accomplished and he kept asking for more almost as if he was looking for his own ideas.

The imagery this season has been great. Loved the scene with Don when he is in the Miller meeting and realizing he is there with 20 other Dons who all reveived the same pitch from Hobart to get there that he did. He wasn't special or unique, simply a trophy or notch in the McCann headboard. They all had the same lunch, drink, pen and notepad. It was too much for him. He can't be a cog.

He sees the jet flying out past the empire state building during this meeting and almost immediately leaves. Earlier this season i think in the first epsiode during his vision/dream of Rachel in the fur coat, she tells him that she is supposed to let him know that he missed his flight. I don't think that's a throwaway line. Flight represents his escape. Where is he going? Not sure, but he is looking for Diana the waitress. I think she is every bit as broken as him in many ways, leaving her past and creating a new life for herself. She is his mirror. Chasing her down and fixing her more so than any other damaged woman he has been with, fixes him. I think that's the theme they are going with.

As for what happens to him? Who knows. He observes and comments on the frail windows in the new office and the bad smell. Could easily see that as a reason to open the window or jumping through it to cap off the show with the opening credits. That seems too obvious though and was probably just a red herring.

I think I've said in here before that I thought the ending could be him embracing his Dick Whitman past and identify and owning it and starting a new life. Coming to this acceptance of his past may finally allow him to move on.

Truthfully though, I don't think he finds happiness. His character has never earned it or deserved catharsis despite how much we love him. In the pitch to Dow in season 5, he defines how he feels about happiness as only "a moment before you need more happiness." It's tragic, he never knows how to say, "this is enough" and be happy. He can never truly be satisfied. It's something that lives in all of us which is one of the many reasons why I love the character so much.

He may even create a new identify again and start the cycle over which might be the most tragic ending of all. It focused on the fact that he had his social security card with him in the money pack thing on this trip. And what role will the hobo hitchhiker play? Will he kill Don? Swap identities? I just don't know but wow, I can't wait. I am going to start from the beginning of the show again as soon as the finale finishes and run through it again.

Nice write up Momma.

I think we've seen the last of Peggy, Joan, Betty and maybe Roger. The ending with Peggy was great and think it was significant. It shows that she got over her fear of looking powerful to men. So I think we're just about done seeing her. With Joan, she realized that know matter how hard she was going to work at McCann, it was always going to come back to her looks. Can't blame her for just taking the money and getting out. She came along way from being the Office Manager to walking away with a quarter of a million dollars. Definitely believe we're done with Betty too. That last goodbye and "Bye Birdie" from Don was it. Seemed like that was the nicest those 2 have been to each other in quite sometime. And they actually kinda seemed like a family again for that breif second. Roger's arc is probably done too. He's come to terms that McCann isn't going to be all fun and games for him like SC&P was. If they do show him again, it'll be him retiring and probably having another crazy night of booze and girls.

Looks to me like Don is heading to Cali to get away from it all. Think he's realized that's where his happiness is and I believe he'll start over there as Dick Whittman.

I'm definitely sad to see the show end as it has been one of my favorite shows since it's been on. I've been hunting on YouTube for old clips the last few days. Some of the earlier stuff was incredible.

Very good points Momma.  I completely forgot about Betty studying in that scene.  She says to him that this is what she always wanted to do as far as finish school and earn a degree.  She's doing it now, definitely had to be a farewell scene.  Glad they ended it on good terms.

That one scene where Don was looking out his window and the frail glass, I totally expected him to fall out to his death and then wake up on his sofa in the office.  Maybe it will be portrayed like that, if he ever comes back to the office.  I was also taking into consideration, what if the office he now occupies, the person before him jumped due to the pressure?  Probably not, just popped in my head while watching it.

I think Don heads back to California and starts selling used cars again, or something like that.  I think you were spot on about the Miller meeting, there was a room full of Dons, well, Dons before he was a big wig.  He realized that he was just another trophy.  The head of the new company also made the comment that he was trying to snag Don for the past 10 years and couldn't.

Granted, they gave Don everything he could possibly want as far as accounts, etc.  There is nothing left for Don to prove, to himself or the business.  He's basically "On Top", outside owning the place (but was a partner before, so he's been there, done that).  No more challenge.  He also knows, that he is replaceable with a bullpen full of "Dons" ready to be promoted, etc.

I think he moves back to Cali, not sure if he would try to assume his old identity, because of the legal ramifications.  I think advertising is done for him.  

Archived