Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mad Men Season 6: We're Not At Rock Bottom Yet.

Going Commando

Come here to post all things Mad Men.

Side note, can't believe there is no Mad Men thread before this one. There have to be some fans aside from me.

Anyway, this is the penultimate season. Last night's episode marked crossing the halfway point. Mad Men will be over soon. No time like the present to start a thread.

I personally don't care if people post spoilers in here since I've seen every episode. But I guess they should be tagged or ninja'd if you post them for the people who aren't caught up.

---------- Post added May-13th-2013 at 10:58 AM ----------

My thoughts so far this season (the reason for the thread title):

**SPOILERS**

I think this season is about the really miserable characters, Don and Pete and maybe Roger, actually approaching and hitting rock bottom before they get some sort of redemption. If they get it that is. Actually I think the series will kill Pete, he's too far gone. Too unhinged and hateful, his, "To hell with my mother!" line in last night's episode was a delightful bit of Pete Campbell misanthropy. He is way worse than Don ever was.

I noticed in the first episode of this season that a lot of the characters complained and were deeply unsettled about 1967's violence. It was New Year's, the characters were just sort of hoping for automatic renewal with the turning of the calendar: this year will be better than the last. Why? Because it has to be. Totally arbitrary. People get like this around New Year's. One of the things Mad Men has rammed home over the course of the series is that renewal without effort is impossible. It's meaningless. So I think the show took some pleasure in mercilessly thwarting that hope for a more peaceful 1968.

'68 was, of course, one of the most violent years in 20th century American history. The pace and scope of Vietnam was growing so rapidly, the Tet Offensive in January was totally disillusioning. Some time before 1968, the American public seems to find out some information about war crimes and atrocities perpetrated in Vietnam by American soldiers--scalping, keeping ears as trophies, murdering innocents including women and children, etc.

MLK gets assassinated in April and there is rioting in the streets of Urban centers across America. Bobby Kennedy gets assassinated in June, which happened at the end of last night's episode.

And of course, My Lai happens in mid March. So far no mention of that within the series. I don't know when news of My Lai broke to the American public, but I'd imagine we're going to be seeing it happen in the show at some point this season and it's going to be devastating.

I thought the way Mad Men portrayed the assassinations of Kennedy and MLK were incredibly well done and authentic. It feels so incredibly relevant today. The characters seem to go through the same process as I did when learning of the horrible slew of tragedies the country has seen in the past year--Aurora to Sandy Hook to Boston.

Back to Don, perhaps viewers thought Don had climbed out of the valley last season when he seemed so happy with Megan. Nope. This season opened up with him having a new affair. Only this one felt different to me. Don was more emotional and vulnerable. I think he actually wants to heal and be happy now, and he's flailing around trying to achieve this but he really doesn't know how yet. Don is getting older. Jon Hamm's performance after Don got dumped by his mistress last night was remarkable.

Ultimately, I think identity is the major theme of Mad Men. Self invention is such a core American ideal. I made myself. Don is the exploration of this, and the series seems to conclude there are all kinds of problems with it. Don has lived in a nearly uninterrupted state of turmoil since the series began, most of his problems stemming from the identity he totally invented for himself. He does not live like a real person.

My prediction for the end of the series is that Don has to stop living as Don Draper and assume a real identity before he ever becomes at peace. I think he's going to have to deal with the demon of his bizarre past, get it out of his head. I think he might go back to living as Dick Wittman, and find peace in living for his children and his new family. Although his new marriage might already be ruined too. Who knows?

Oh and one more thing, Roger gleefully firing Burt Peterson all over again last night was one of my favorite moments.

**End Spoilers**

This season has been pretty damn good so far.

Huge fan.

Pretty sure this season is 1968 (MLK Jr death). Symbolically, this season seems to be following the flow of culture in that period... it seems to center on the death of the patriarchal model of society which was eventually completely killed after the Summer of Love in 1969. Just look at the women of the show to really see that theme play out. Peggy embodies everything about the tough working woman who sacrifices for her career while still being fragile and vulnerable inside. Joan can move from cold snake business woman to a warm lover within seconds (the Jaguar account storyline was intense last season).

Absolutely love this show. The clothing, the talk, the story lines, the history... it's one of the best shows ever made.

I haven't watched Mad Men, but it has been on my list - is it something I would need to start from the beginning?

ABSOLUTELY.

It's a bit tough at first if you try to watch it with a GF or wife because the men are complete womanizers. But a few episodes in, it gets easier to watch. My wife hated it for at least 3 episodes but became a huge fan.

All 5 seasons are on netflix streaming

I remember posting in a Mad Men thread last season. Don't know what happened to it. Anyway lot of great thoughts SteveMcqueen and Ellis. This is one of my favorite shows. I love everything about it.

Spoilers:

I've loved this season so far. A lot of people wanted the return of Don after last seasons cliffhanger but this isn't it at all despite the return to a new affair. This Don has no control over any portion of his life really. Old Don dominated work ruthlessly just as much as he did his personal life. When he walked into a room he owned it. Thats why early scenes where he lost control momentarily like when Betty confronted him about the box of his past were so compelling. That isnt close to his current persona in any regard. I don't even know if he cares, he sure doesnt act like it.

His alcoholism has been pointed out several times already and reared it's ugly head this season. His wife has a successful career without him that he doesn't care for but she won't give up and play wife for him. Megan doesn't need him despite the fact that at least for now, she still wants him. His work seems to be a constant state of chaos. The merger won't end well because its a failing product and never should have happened to begin with even with a solid product.

That's why I think the affair worked so well for him. It was on his terms by somebody who needed and wanted him. He had control even for a brief time. Now that's gone. I dont think the story of Don ends with redemption. We know he is incapable of love so I don't think it's realistic and would be trite for him to now suddenly find it. He doesn't even love/has serious issues loving his kids as he admitted a few episodes back. He's also a dying breed and the series has been great at showing the last couple seasons how out of place he is with the culture and times of the late 60s. It will be hard for him to re-invent himself again when he isnt capable of creating a character that understands or fits in with the present day. I think he could continue on this downward spiral into nothing. The character he created just sort of fades away in some aspects without anyone really noticing or caring due to the way he lived his life for himself. I'm sure there is some type of poetic contrast to the way he in an instant became Don Draper to way he goes out but I need to think on it more.

Interesting idea about Pete dying. I actually think Pete could be the one to find redemption by the end. He has modeled his life after an image thinking it would provide happiness but he has found it doesn't. It's not at all what he thought but I have seen Pete care more than Don and he is also younger and I think more likely to change at this point.

Great post Momma. I like a lot of what you said. I don't know that Don is incapable of love. He's actually highly sensitive. I just think he has trouble processing the emotion and gets confused by it and is full of fear.

**SPOILERS**

Tonight's episode was absolutely incredible. A signature episode in the series IMO. The way it starts... and then progresses. Wow. The tension of the scenes with the black woman who robs the Apt. was almost unbearable. The authentic menace on that actress's face... It got hard to watch. This was not TV. This was watching a potential calamity unfold right in front of you, in your living room, with your daughter. I was totally gripped and transported.

If you've ever taken amphetamines or other powerful stimulants before, then I think this episode will be marvelous and authentic to you. If you haven't, then I imagine this episode was unrelateable, inexplicable, and uncomfortable for you. I do not think I've ever seen a show or movie do a better drug sequence before.

**END SPOILERS**

There has never been a show like this before. It's best episodes are unbelievable. Better than any show I've seen before. Redefining the medium and the genre. The only other drama I've ever seen that I thought was as good as Mad Men was Deadwood, which only made it three seasons. Mad Men is still peaking in season six.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting fan theory linking Megan to Sharon Tate.

Very convincing!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/is-megan-going-to-be-murdered-on-mad-men

That would probably put her death next season since this is '68 if there were to be some type of symbolic connection between them. Not sure I buy it though. One thing I will say is that the constant ambulance sirens throughout NYC in her scenes are pretty interesting. I did take that though as danger or death for her and Don's marriage/their home life more so than her actual death. That might be a little too simple but it's what I thought seeing that during the last few episodes. 

With all the chaos going on in the world the tension keeps building and it really feels like something serious will happen but I don't think they will actually do that this season coming off the Lane Pryce death which lead into the end of last season. 

Great post Momma. I like a lot of what you said. I don't know that Don is incapable of love. He's actually highly sensitive. I just think he has trouble processing the emotion and gets confused by it and is full of fear.

There has never been a show like this before. It's best episodes are unbelievable. Better than any show I've seen before. Redefining the medium and the genre. The only other drama I've ever seen that I thought was as good as Mad Men was Deadwood, which only made it three seasons. Mad Men is still peaking in season six.

Man totally lost this thread when ES merged or whatever but I'm glad to have caught it again. I guess he isn't incapable but since he has never really witnessed it greatly on any level throughout his life (exception possibly Anna Draper) he really has no idea how to obtain it and what to do with it if he thinks he has it. I don't know what to think of Sylvia, I doubt he loves her though in the traditional sense we all consider love.  

This season has been fantastic. I agree with you about it's best episodes too, there is nothing like it. The one you specifically mention above about the speed trip or whatever it actually was, was incredibly well done. 

There is a lot going on this season and with only 2 episodes left too. I wonder if Sally tells anybody what she saw? 

I like Pete more and more each episode which is shocking because I used to despise every fabric of his existence. I think that really speaks to the writing and acting. 

• 10 months later...

Yes me too. This has been a great start to the season. I want to post a longer review later. I wish this show was more popular and talked about with the masses like BB and TWD.

Yeah, its a great show.  Very under the radar, imo, at least when I talk about it to my friends.  Just solid, great look/feel to going back to the days of drinking/smoking at work lol.  This season has hit a home run so far on all the episodes.

It seems like everything in the show has a meaning or purpose, from the way someone enters the room to the music in the background/credits. In EP 1 of this season, Draper starts as the person he wants to see himself as. He's perfectly attired, then standing still while gliding down the airport people mover. At the end of the episode, you see him as he is, the depressed alcoholic sitting outside undressed in winter, trying to manage withdrawal.

I wonder how things will work out for Mr. Draper. Will he get his life together? Resort to his old ways? Have the feeling he might end up turning things around and being a better man. That, or die a tragic death. Lol. Could go either way.

Yeah.  It looks like he wants to change his life.  The first real step towards that was when he was sitting in the restaurant with the partners from the other ad agency giving him an offer, the hot sexy woman walks up, flirts, tells him what room she was in.  You then see Don on a hotel elevator, get off, knocking at the door.  Fully expecting Don to bang this hot chick.  Roger answers the door.

I also liked the stipulations they made him sign off on as far as returning.  He had their balls (collectively speaking) in a vice grip because he was part owner.  They would have to buy him out and they didn't have the revenue to do so.  I think him signing off on all those stipulations willingly was showing he wanted to take a step forward.

I think him and his wife split up and divorce.  Him wanting to go back to work also was an indication that he wants nothing to do with living in California and I don't think Megan is going to leave her dream nor forgive Don for not telling her about the year paid suspension.  

Don't forget him passing up Neve Campbell on the plane in the first or second episode this season. He is making a conscious effort at this point to try to turn things around it seems. That's much different from season 4 I think when he married Megan and it seemed forced.

Also the scene at the end when we were all expecting him to turn down the partners offer because of the stipulations but he gladly accepted.

We will see what happens and if it sticks.

Also the scene at the end when we were all expecting him to turn down the partners offer because of the stipulations but he gladly accepted.

If his partners can know his innermost demons AND he can come back and 'win' by ousting his replacement... then maybe he can handle everything. Maybe that's his crowning achievement and maybe that's his eventual demise. I guess we have 11 more episodes who know which. 

It's why everyone loves Draper. We just don't know if things will turn out for him as the hero or the guy in the credits falling to his death.  Just don't know. 

Well it didn't take Don long to find the bottom of a bottle at the office. Imagine he's depressed having gone from top dog to just a guy. Seems Roger is his only friend. Speaking of Mr. Sterling, felt pretty bad for him too, his daughter just doesn't get it. Freddy was friendly too I guess, "Do the work, Don".

I wonder if there will be anymore of the computer guy.  **** got odd when Don was hammered and went to him and said "I know what kind of person you are inside."

My first thoughts were Don sees an opportunity of the computer market opening up and would jump ship to work at say that company or IBM and form an in-house ad-marketing dept. there.  Make tons of cash.  Probably far fetched in my thinking though.  

I wonder if there will be anymore of the computer guy.  **** got odd when Don was hammered and went to him and said "I know what kind of person you are inside." 

I thought he was just drunk and spiteful that Cooper didn't jump at his idea to pitch the computer guy. Given that Cooper reminds Don of the rules when he's not breaking them (maybe running to Cooper instead of Lou?) and calls him a ghost in a dead man's office in so many words, Drapes was ready to explode.  

And Don's laying in his office waiting to win everyone back in a moment of inspiration instead of actually working. He's giving them more reason to doubt him. 

I also think it's great that Meredith is now his secretary. She's just completely empty up there. 

I guess there is the possibility that we see Don leave the company (either fired for breaking a rule or just leaves/quits), possibly after Megan wants a divorce/leaves him.  Then at the end we see him appear as a salesman for one of the computer companies where they have to pitch their ideas to him (unlikely)  or we see him back working in sales maybe selling coats again in a department store where Roger found him.

Something full circle like that would be more realistic.  It happens all the time in the real world, people bust their ass, get a lucky break, either ride the wave as long as they can or screw it up, get canned, have to revert to their previous way of life/making a living.  

Also, I might be the only one who thinks this, but I think Peggy is turning into a female Don.  Not so much the drinking (although she does partake in some drinks in the office towards the end of the day like last episode), but her attitude now and her failure at finding love.  

Must be extremely hard for Don as he is the only reason she made it in the first place.  Now she has power, like Don had in season 1 (he wasn't a partner yet).

They want to exploit his creative genius in the short term until he hangs himself on those stipulations in the long term and then they can be done with him. He realized that during Peggy's meeting, they didn't want him back they just didn't have a good way to get rid of him.

But I like the focused Don at the end of this episode, it reminds me of the Don from flashbacks working at the coat store, determined.

He won't give them that satisfaction, he's on a path to rise back up. Whether he fulfills that or not remains to be seen.

This season has been a home run so far. I loved every episode. My favorite scene so far this season is probably the Sally scene in the diner. That was a lot of years of build up to that sort of payoff scene where he actually opens up with his daughter and treats her as an equal instead of an inconvenience that he is incapable of loving. Very well done by both of them.

Archived