Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mad Men Season 6: We're Not At Rock Bottom Yet.

Going Commando

So was reading through stuff and some people think this clip is a foreshadowing to how the series will end. So I pulled it up on YouTube and was trying to see what the ad said. However, its not in English (looks like French or Latin). Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-QXjOQjVmQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=283

It was an ad for a hotel. They don't show the person in the pic, just his clothes and tie in the sand and something about it being the "Jumping off point" or something like that. What made that ad effective, and the client a little nervous about it, was that there is an allusion to suicide.

I think someone in that scene or one later, maybe Rizzo, was like, "That's why it's so good!!" 

It was an ad for a hotel. They don't show the person in the pic, just his clothes and tie in the sand and something about it being the "Jumping off point" or something like that. What made that ad effective, and the client a little nervous about it, was that there is an allusion to suicide.

I think someone in that scene or one later, maybe Rizzo, was like, "That's why it's so good!!" 

Oh no, I get all that.

I was just trying to figure out what it says underneath their pitch. There's like a blurb underneath it, but it doesn't look like it's in English. Was just curious what it said.

Oh no, I get all that.

I was just trying to figure out what it says underneath their pitch. There's like a blurb underneath it, but it doesn't look like it's in English. Was just curious what it said.

Oh, ok. I do think they might have some kind of ambiguous ending. And it may make sense for Don to strip away his almost iconic suit and retire. It could be some foreshadowing. 

I really like how they have managed to give a lot of the cast their sendoff without completely changing the tone of the show. 

Is that the one with the footprints in the sand going into the ocean and disappearing? I always liked that one

I really like how they have managed to give a lot of the cast their sendoff without completely changing the tone of the show.

True I love that too. The endings are kind of ambiguous but enough is known that you kind of get a sense where each character is heading and they all have has their moment.

I don't necessarily need closure or a send off with Don though. As long as it's organic and fits his character, I feel like they could do just about anything and Id love it. Hopefully it's a powerful ending even if ambiguous for him but really getting to this point in the show has been so amazing, the journey has been wonderful. Just finish on a high note.

I don't need Breakinng Badebel closure because the narrative and arc has never been what BB was.

I still get the eerie feeling Don will kill himself. Jump from a building like the opening credits show.

I know it's a theory that has gone around and this show is not predictable. But I imagine it sometimes

Him getting smashed in his office at work, stumbling forward, trying to brace himself on the loose window in there, it giving to his weight and him falling to his death would be the only acceptable way to use that scene imo.  

I'd be ok with that, because it would somewhat be a brief summary of his entire life.  He's in the sky scraper office building with a window because of his work accomplishments, he was known to drink and get smashed at work all the time.  His drinking problems throughout have ruined various aspects of his life (marriage, job, etc.).

He has nothing else to prove, so maybe he thinks tying one more on at work is no big deal, but the demons he allowed back in, this time, get the ultimate check mate.

***though I still think that he will just leave and go back to a simple life, leave it all behind.

***though I still think that he will just leave and go back to a simple life, leave it all behind.

I don't think he's setting foot in the office again. Walking out of the "Big meeting" and seeing 15 other versions of himself was enough for him to know there was nothing there for them. He doesn't seem to want to stay in advertising and he probably has the money to just walk away from it, 5 year contract be damned. 

Man, what a sad episode.  Are we sure about Roger's closure?  I think his ending is done, but still kind of feels like something is missing with him.  

Guess Pete could always end up different next week, the look on his ex-wifes face right after he left made me think she could possibly change her mind next week, though I doubt it.  

Most likely, it's going to be close to 100% about Don.  Which I'm fine with.

I think what is really interesting about the finale next week is we all have no idea which way it's going to end. I have a feeling it ends up with Don going back to being Dick Whittman, but I don't know now. Does he go back to NY and get the kids? Does he keep going west? Does he try and go back to McCann? I really don't know where next week's episode will take us, but I know I'm going to be along for the ride.

I don't think he's going back to work.  I'm hoping that he takes his kids, moves out back west and just enjoys life and his children.   He knows what he missed out with Sally, he has a chance to fix it with his sons.  Maybe Sally moves out west with them and he gets to further fix his relationship with her.

I think what is really interesting about the finale next week is we all have no idea which way it's going to end. I have a feeling it ends up with Don going back to being Dick Whittman, but I don't know now. Does he go back to NY and get the kids? Does he keep going west? Does he try and go back to McCann? I really don't know where next week's episode will take us, but I know I'm going to be along for the ride.

Will there be a time jump too? I kind of hope there isn't.

It would make sense I guess to show a few years ahead maybe in the last scene and show Don being a poor Midwestern guy by the name of Dick Whittman, but finally happy with his lot in life.

I'd assume in that case, Sally and the kids would inherit whatever fortune he still has sitting in his New York bank account which would be nice for them as well.

Will there be a time jump too? I kind of hope there isn't.

It would make sense I guess to show a few years ahead maybe in the last scene and show Don being a poor Midwestern guy by the name of Dick Whittman, but finally happy with his lot in life.

I'd assume in that case, Sally and the kids would inherit whatever fortune he still has sitting in his New York bank account which would be nice for them as well.

I could see a time jump at the beginning and the end. I'm sad we have to wait until Sunday to find out.

People hate Betty? Why, I think she's a great character even if just a side character the past several seasons.

They made Betty mean for a few seasons. Whether it was ordering around the help, locking Sally in the closet and threatening to cut off her fingers, Bets could be real snotty. Now all of a sudden, our hearts sink for her.

Didn't feel one bit of sorrow for Betty.  Stone cold **** (mostly).

No major predictions for the end of the show but I wish it wasn't ending.  They've done such a great job with capturing that time, the style, clothes, cars, furniture, I'd have loved to have seen them go through the 70's.  Maybe not with the same characters but introducing new ones, taking away old ones, etc.

Didn't feel one bit of sorrow for Betty.  Stone cold **** (mostly).

No major predictions for the end of the show but I wish it wasn't ending.  They've done such a great job with capturing that time, the style, clothes, cars, furniture, I'd have loved to have seen them go through the 70's.  Maybe not with the same characters but introducing new ones, taking away old ones, etc.

I think they captured the look, the external but I think they spend a little too much time using the narrative of what that time was like as viewed retrospectively, instead of really looking into how people thought and acted.

So in essence, it's soap opera LARPing of the 60s/early 70s.

Great episode. Loved the Buddy Holly close. I would have been ok with that being the finale actually.

I guess everyone is pretty much resolved except for Don at this point

I wonder if that internet theory that he becomes DB Cooper ends up true or if they at least lead up to it then go wildly in another direction.

Another reason to ponder that is that one of the MAJOR incidents is the kid stealing some petty cash so that he can go start over again somewhere else.  one of the things Don tells him is that the amount of money is nothing, and that he shouldn't start over like this.

I wonder if Don is going to steal on a much grander level and actually get away and the point was, if you really want to break away, do it in style as Don typically has.

The Buddy Holly tune was interesting bc it was 10 years old by 1969, which probably felt like 20 years given how much America had grown up during the 60s. Buddy's death symbolized the end of the 50s. Imo, Weiner is foreshadowing the end of the 60s for Don (and the MM story in general) by jumping back to where it all began, shortly after 'The Music Died' in 1959. 

Archived