Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7 : Does Attacking the QB Really Stop the Read Option?

Lavarleap56

SF1.png

How do we stop the Read Option? That is the question Defensive Coordinators will debate while preparing for the 2013 season. According to Mike Tomlin the answer lies with an Offensive coaches commitment to putting their QB in danger ,Tomlin said “We’ll see if guys are committed to getting their guys hit.”. I respect Tomlin as a head coach but I don’t think the answer is that simple and he is focusing on the one part in a multidimensional offense.

NFL head coaches have been hard-wired to believe that pressure on the Quarterback cures all ills. Teams have built their whole identity around a dominate Defensive Lines relentless pursuit to hit the passer. We watched one of the best offensive football teams of all time go undefeated for 18 straight games, only to fall victim to a team with a strong pass rush. Coaches are so focused on stopping the running QB they act like the Running back and passing game are an after thought.

Lets go back to the NFC Championship game where the Atlanta Falcons had a plan to attack the Colin Kaepernick on every read option play. Atlanta’s plan was to have the unblocked DE ignore the RB and attack the QB… Let’s see how effective that plan was for the Falcons.

Read More & discuss http://httr24-7.com/film-room/does-attacking-the-qb-really-stop-the-read-option/

Nicely done.

For me, it's important to run different types of zone reads.

You have a dive read read example (which is what we typically run with Morris) an off tackle read (which we can run with Morris and did on occasion) and a sweep zone read (which we didn't run with Morris, and SF did not run with Gore much, but used LaMichael James).

The goal is to keep the defensive line off balance. They can target the QB all they want, opening up running lanes... but you also need to keep the defense guessing as to where exactly the RB is headed, as well.

This is why it was so huge to get a scat/3rd down back like Thompson and a change of pace guy like Jameson. You can run sweep, jet sweep, and all kinds of other wrinkles that will give these defenses fits.

And two pass catching TEs who can block or run patterns depending on the QBs read? Garcon on the outside with that speed?

Please... just focus on the QB. I dare you.

I remember reading an article that basically said all defenders had to do was attack the QB and the read option becomes a glorified run offense. It was said as though that was a reason f teams would stop using it.

I remember reading an article that basically said all defenders had to do was attack the QB and the read option becomes a glorified run offense. It was said as though that was a reason f teams would stop using it.

Good thing teams never rush the QB in a drop back passing offense....oh wait...

Good thing teams never rush the QB in a drop back passing offense....oh wait...

well the logic of the article was that by the design of the read option any time the QB saw that the defender was going to be focused on pressuring him he should choose to put the ball in the RB's hands instead of throwing it

well the logic of the article was that by the design of the read option any time the QB saw that the defender was going to be focused on pressuring him he should choose to put the ball in the RB's hands instead of throwing it

I'm just thinking that its not that easy. Just rushing the QB like crazy usually ends up bad for the D, I don't care what Tomlin says. Either just focusing on the QB in the read option or blitzing a throwing only QB all the time usually leads to big plays for a competant offense.

People mention the beating RG3 took in the Cincy game last year as a blueprint to stop the read option but if I remember correctly that was a weird gameplan by Kyle. It seemed we were running a lot of traditional college type option plays in that game, not the quick read option.

People mention the beating RG3 took in the Cincy game last year as a blueprint to stop the read option but if I remember correctly that was a weird gameplan by Kyle. It seemed we were running a lot of traditional college type option plays in that game, not the quick read option.

You are right, that was not the read option, it was a straight college option gameplan they used because Trent got hurt.

The results of the Bengals game are not a real indicator to stopping the offense imo. That game was early in the season and it took almost 6/7 games until the teams started really executing the RO at a high level consistently. I think it took time for Kyle & the offense to grow together through live game situations. I think the replacement refs were also in charge vs the Bengals and RGIII took a beating while replacement refs had no clue.

To attack the QB and ignore the RB is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. How about having a more disciplined defense that has certain assignments, like one looks for the RB while the other is attack the QB. Switch up assignments from time to time to keep the offense off balance as to which defender is attacking the RB and which is going after the QB. The rest is looking at it in the same manner as a play action with an option.

Here is the issue with that bro..

x122.jpg

x4522.jpg

Redskins have everyone accounted for in their blocking schemes and get 1 free defender vs the RB in a ideal situation..

Alf is great and usually breaks that tackle but in doing so allows time for the defense to regroup and get him down. Now image those holes with a RB like Chris Thompson 1 on 1 with a LB between him and the endzone.. Your talking a quick cut/juke and Thompson is off the the races for 6. You have to be patient at the LOS to slow the read option not overly aggressive.

hey, I'm not disagreeing. The point I was just making is that some people think that taking the ball out of the QBs hands would make coaches throw up their hands and abandon it . As thought they'd look at the scoreboard at the stats and think "Well we won by ten but my Quarterback only through the ball ten times. We can't keep playing like that."

Coaches, at least good ones, don't work like that.

Redskins have everyone accounted for in their blocking schemes and get 1 free defender vs the RB in a ideal situation..

Alf is great and usually breaks that tackle but in doing so allows time for the defense to regroup and get him down. Now image those holes with a RB like Chris Thompson 1 on 1 with a LB between him and the endzone.. Your talking a quick cut/juke and Thompson is off the the races for 6. You have to be patient at the LOS to slow the read option not overly aggressive.

Then you factor in Jordan Reed as the TE/WR/FB etc..:)

I really don't know if people really grasp what this offense can do with it's new toys. Thompson is electric..

Excellent job LL and really exciting to think what Shanahan's are planning to offset any attempt to slow down the Pistol, read option. Reed, Thompson and perhaps the forgotten Pat White (banks role) offer all kinds of interesting possibilities to continue to grow this offense. People forget we just broke ground last year and the foundation is built, now it is time to start going Vertical. Davis and Reed could alone give teams fits, add to that what a healthy Garcon adds, wow, just wow. I only wonder how many fan psycho drama's we will have to endure because no singular WR is posting dominate numbers, yet blocking for a run/pass option game that is unstoppable.

I only wonder how many fan psycho drama's we will have to endure because no singular WR is posting dominate numbers, yet blocking for a run/pass option game that is unstoppable.

C'mon, you already know how that will play out. There are a bunch of drippy diapers already because we didn't draft WRs.

The results of the Bengals game are not a real indicator to stopping the offense imo. That game was early in the season and it took almost 6/7 games until the teams started really executing the RO at a high level consistently. I think it took time for Kyle & the offense to grow together through live game situations. I think the replacement refs were also in charge vs the Bengals and RGIII took a beating while replacement refs had no clue.

The failure of Refs to do their job was the difference. I'm sure DC's will try to rough up the QB but keep in mind that this is a QB Driven league; now more than ever. You think the ginger hammer is going to let teams kill the most valuable assets that the NFL has? I think you'll see the refs throwing the flag more and more fines/suspensions being handed out this year. Even if the QB is running.

Excellent write up btw!

I was at that game and if I remember correctly, 1. Yes, the refs were horrible and 2. Kyle got Banks involved WAY too much. I think Garcon was out for that one so Kyle was looking for answers at that point early in the season.

I really don't know if people really grasp what this offense can do with it's new toys. Thompson is electric..

Thompson and Reed were huge pickups for this offense but I still think another WR pickup would have been a good addition. If Garcon misses time again, were thin there, and Moss is likely in his last year, and the other guys can be inconsistent. Wouldn't have hurt to grab a Boyce or a Swope type.

If I were a D coordinator planning against our offense, I'd basically want to do what WE do on defense: try and create chaos. Disguise everything. Mix up blitzes and coverages. Go unconventional. Robert is a smart guy but I would try and confuse him and the offensive line best I could. If you try and settle on one method and do that repeatedly, the Shannys are going to figure out how to counter it and burn you.

I assume it was written by Pete Prisco - he is convinced that the read option is a fad in the NFL and that attacking the QB will shut it down. Nice article in the OP explains why that view is almost certainly mistaken. Its going to be fun to see how we develop our offense this year accounting for adjustments defenses will make after watching a year of tape of our offense and RGIII. I expect our passing game to be more diverse and adding some more effective speed (Banks had speed but was just not effective) in the backfield along with RGIII will really open up some other possibilities. Also factor in that every adjustment a defense makes by default creates an opportunity in some other area.

Thompson and Reed were huge pickups for this offense but I still think another WR pickup would have been a good addition. If Garcon misses time again, were thin there, and Moss is likely in his last year, and the other guys can be inconsistent. Wouldn't have hurt to grab a Pierre clone or a Swope type.

I think the UDFA WRs have a little bit bigger opportunity this year, we could use some more depth there they will have to flash something, but if they do, it will get some attention.

I chuckle at some of things I read about the read-option, and how some seem to think they saw it all last year, that we will just be running the same thing over and over again this season. The beauty of it is it's flexibility, you can run so many things out of the base, and when players with new skillsets get added to the roster it can accommodate them better than some of the traditional offensive schemes.

Well I'd study that Pittsburgh tape, cause from what I remember and you can't really argue with Tomlin since the Steelers were the only team our offense looked horrible against. Them and Carolina. Start with that tape and go from there.

We dropped 10+ passes against the Steelers. Plus we were without both Garcon and Davis. That game was not so much about what the Steelers did to us but what we did to ourselves.

Well I'd study that Pittsburgh tape, cause from what I remember and you can't really argue with Tomlin since the Steelers were the only team our offense looked horrible against. Them and Carolina. Start with that tape and go from there.

We looked terrible there becuase we were down early and had to abandon the read option offense for a more traditional passing game plan, which we do not exectue well due to our terrible RT. Polumbus asked to play a traditional RT role is a matador, for him to have success in pass pro, the defense has to be off-balance (i.e. cannot know what is coming). Once the defense can pin its ears back and pass rush with reckless abandon (when we are down a few scores) our offense turns for the worse.

Watch how Baltimore defended the 9ers in the SB for the best assessment. They basically assigned a lb to spy the QB everytime which left them open to all kinds of other deception.It worked well against one play basically with all that time to prepare and they still didnt get many clean hits on Kapernick. But they did stop him from running.

Archived