Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HogsHaven.com/HTTR24-7.com; Unveiling the Hogs Haven/HTTR24-7 Redskins Draft Board

KCClybun

Robert-Griffin-Courtesy-of-Getty-Images.jpg

Click here for the article.

Last year, the guys over at Hogs Haven made up their own Redskins draft board, ranking almost every player not just based on their talent and ability, but also on their fit in the Redskins scheme. This year, those guys let me, Kevin and Justin in on the fold to collaborate on this draft board together with Mark (a.k.a UKRedskin) and Steve.

The ranking system is the same as last year. We split each round into three sections: A, B and C. A represents a player graded to go in the top third of the round, B represents a player graded to go in the middle third of the round and C represents a player graded to go in the last third of the round. This year we have 245 players, as opposed to the 229 players we had on the board last year. Just as last year, I’m going to keep the board updated as the picks come in. If a square is yellow, the player has been drafted. If the square is red, he’s been drafted by the Redskins.

Click RIGHT HERE to view the draft board for yourselves. RIGHT. HERE.

ETA: Actually put the link to the big board separate from the article.

http://www.betbigdc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Robert-Griffin-Courtesy-of-Getty-Images.jpg

Click here for the article.

Last year, the guys over at Hogs Haven made up their own Redskins draft board, ranking almost every player not just based on their talent and ability, but also on their fit in the Redskins scheme. This year, those guys let me, Kevin and Justin in on the fold to collaborate on this draft board together with Mark (a.k.a UKRedskin) and Steve.

The ranking system is the same as last year. We split each round into three sections: A, B and C. A represents a player graded to go in the top third of the round, B represents a player graded to go in the middle third of the round and C represents a player graded to go in the last third of the round. This year we have 245 players, as opposed to the 229 players we had on the board last year. Just as last year, I’m going to keep the board updated as the picks come in. If a square is yellow, the player has been drafted. If the square is red, he’s been drafted by the Redskins.

Click RIGHT HERE to view the draft board for yourselves. RIGHT. HERE.

ETA: Actually put the link to the big board separate from the article.

This readout really isn't indicative of the maqterial you normally put out. You need to really fix this layout so it is easier to read and research.

Boy. A lot of ways. The readout is really confusing. I'm not really sure what I am looking at. I think I understand the rankings.....but the 1A 2A 4C things are kinda confusing. Doesnt seem to tie into the Redskins at all. What do the 1-98 on the left indicate?

I think I got the layout of the table pretty down. Each round has A B and C ranked players, A being the top of the first (or best players in draft/round) and goes down from there.

You could even say A B and C are the round broken into 3rds. A is that top 3rd of players, around top 10. B is picks 11-20 area. And then C is 21-32.

The 1-98 down the left is simply a way of numbering the rows for the draft board, its not a ranking or anything.

Looking at the article explains it all a bit better than I just did. Cool as hell guys, I must've missed this last year. Love Swearinger sitting right at 2B where we'll be picking.

:)

Personally I think the layout is fine, it's just a spreadsheet, plain and simple.

It might be good to put borders around some of the areas so we can see the dividers between the players more easily, but on the whole, it looks pretty good.

---------- Post added April-18th-2013 at 12:48 AM ----------

What do the 1-98 on the left indicate?

It's just a basic spreadsheet, the 1-98 is simply the vertical cell number.

Okay, explanation.

We broke it down by what round each prospect product we could in. That's what the numbers indicate.

Then, we broke it down by which third of that round he was going to go into. "A" means that prospect goes in the top 3rd, "B" means that prospect goes in the middle, and "C" means at the bottom of that round.

For example, we have Luke Joeckel rated as a "1A". That means we have Luke Joeckel rated as the number one tackle, in the first round, in the first 10 picks of the draft.

Whereas if you scroll down, we have Chris Faulk as a "5C", which would means he's a fifth round that we'd take in the bottom third of the fifth round.

How it applies to the Redskins is how the prospects fit based on schematic fit. Keenan Allen is rated top 5 in a lot of other prospects rankings, but he's rated below some of the more explosive, more athletic wide receivers. D.J Fluker's rated a little lower because he's more of a man-blocker than a ZBS person. It doesn't always work out like that since we did take into account where some guys were likely to get drafted --- Chance Warmack for example isn't a ZBS guy --- but for the most part we tried to take into account people's schemes.

Any questions?

It's just a basic spreadsheet, the 1-98 is simply the vertical cell number.

Yes. I get how the spreadsheet works. But not how it correlates to the Redskins in any way whatsoever.

I understand the explanation for the spreadsheet. But it seems overly complex and confusing IMO.

Yes. I get how the spreadsheet works. But not how it correlates to the Redskins in any way whatsoever.
How it applies to the Redskins is how the prospects fit based on schematic fit. Keenan Allen is rated top 5 in a lot of other prospects rankings, but he's rated below some of the more explosive, more athletic wide receivers. D.J Fluker's rated a little lower because he's more of a man-blocker than a ZBS person. It doesn't always work out like that since we did take into account where some guys were likely to get drafted --- Chance Warmack for example isn't a ZBS guy --- but for the most part we tried to take into account people's schemes.

No I get it. But after getting off a 16 hour workday and checking it out, the layout seems a little obtuse. No need to change anything or explain anything on my behalf. You guys know what you are doing. I get the gist of it. Cheers for the work put in.

Okay, explanation.

We broke it down by what round each prospect product we could in. That's what the numbers indicate.

Then, we broke it down by which third of that round he was going to go into. "A" means that prospect goes in the top 3rd, "B" means that prospect goes in the middle, and "C" means at the bottom of that round.

For example, we have Luke Joeckel rated as a "1A". That means we have Luke Joeckel rated as the number one tackle, in the first round, in the first 10 picks of the draft.

Whereas if you scroll down, we have Chris Faulk as a "5C", which would means he's a fifth round that we'd take in the bottom third of the fifth round.

Any questions?

Nice work but I would rather see you guys do a Redskin specific 7 round mock draft. JMO.:)

NLC, a quick suggestion, maybe remove the 2nd position of players who are listed for 2 positions, at least for guys where the two positions differ significantly by round. I understand the goal of placing players in the roles they are capable of playing and doing so based on the round where their ability matches up, but some of those players, like Xavier Rhodes, who is listed in both 1B (corner) and 2A (FS), is all but guaranteed to be off the board before the 33rd pick, so while he might be good enough to be a 2B FS, he'll never be there long enough.

Some of the other guys, like TJ McDonald and Tony Jefferson, have a smaller difference in round, and are farther down and tougher to gauge anyway, so those are fine, but might I suggest that the 2nd listing not count towards the total number of players? It inflates the total number of players, and makes things look deeper than it really is.

For example, Xavier Rhodes (again, but he's a good example of my concerns) counts towards both the 1st and 2nd round totals, and on just a quick look within rounds, Star didn't count twice in the 1st, but TJ McDonald DID count twice in the 3rd round. Thus, when Rhodes comes off the board, both the 1st and 2nd round lose a player, and when TJ McDonald comes off the board, 2 players are lost in the 3rd.

But on the whole, it's a very nice spreadsheet and a useful tool.

Man, I totally disagree with your rankings at free safety. When i look for a free safety, or any player for that matter, first and foremost, if you don't wrap tackle, you aren't playing for me. You are the last line of defense in most cases and i don't need you popping guys(as much as i loveit) as much as i need to KNOW you will take them down. If you can add some pop to that, that is a secondary benefit. You also need to be a deep coverage player and handle playing centerfield. A good centerfielder really helps the db's on the edges. A free safety with run stopping ability is a plus, but again, run stopping is secondary for this position. Those are my basic parameters.

After watching tape, I know everyone has Vacarro as the top rated safety, but he didnt jump out in film to me. He seemed like much more of a run support big hitting type and not great on backend coverage, which is what i think we are looking for the most. He also didnt really wrap tackle as much, which drives me crazy. He wouldn't be on my draft board as the number 1 free safety. Fits more of a SS for me.

I was really impressed with what i saw out of Eric Reid from LSU. He has some great range, plays the ball, and makes some hits. My biggest issue is his production fell in 2012 in regards to turnovers when he wasn't protected by players such as Claiborne and he also looks to hit with his shoulder and not wrap his arms. I am not sure if the production is down due to teams taking less shots his way, or because he just generally wasnt protected by other premier players. That worry's me and wouldnt put him as number 1 for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msB2cYNL_o4

The player I want the most is Phillip Thomas out of Fresno. He looks like a straight turnover machine. The play that blew me away is the wide receiver screen that he came in from about 10 yards deep and picked off for a touchdown. He also seems intent at causing fumbles and playing deep coverage. I like how he wraps up when he tackles and blitzes off the edges very well. Great ball skills. He doesnt have the ideal size, but he makes plays as a deep safety. If you look at his reel, he makes a lot of plays deep, he makes them on blitzing, and is just always in the right position. He gets his arms around the ball-carriers waist and drives. I also noticed him always trying to strip the ball. I love that. He makes breaks on the ball before the qb even throws it. Highly impressive.

Rambo is another guy that i like.

Cyprien seems more of an enforcer than backend coverage.

Overall, i have my ratings for fs as-

1- Philip Thoma

2.Eric Reid

3. Baccari Rambo

4. Kenny Vaccaro

5. Swearinger

6. Cyprien

Again, this is just based off of what i look for in a player.

BTW, i like the spreadsheet. just because i disagree doesn't mean it inst good stuff.

Thanks for putting this up NLC, good stuff. I looked at it for a while last night and it gave me a better idea of where we might get more value for our picks.

Looks to me like FS and WR might make the most sense with our 2nd and 3rd and corner with the 4th. Maybe RT, RB and TE with 5, 5 and 6. Obviously some studs may slide from other positions to change this (or the FO may judge their needs differently) but that's what I'm seeing. Wouldn't mind looking back at safety with one of the later picks too.

Anyway, thanks again man.

NLC, a quick suggestion, maybe remove the 2nd position of players who are listed for 2 positions, at least for guys where the two positions differ significantly by round. I understand the goal of placing players in the roles they are capable of playing and doing so based on the round where their ability matches up, but some of those players, like Xavier Rhodes, who is listed in both 1B (corner) and 2A (FS), is all but guaranteed to be off the board before the 33rd pick, so while he might be good enough to be a 2B FS, he'll never be there long enough.

Some of the other guys, like TJ McDonald and Tony Jefferson, have a smaller difference in round, and are farther down and tougher to gauge anyway, so those are fine, but might I suggest that the 2nd listing not count towards the total number of players? It inflates the total number of players, and makes things look deeper than it really is.

For example, Xavier Rhodes (again, but he's a good example of my concerns) counts towards both the 1st and 2nd round totals, and on just a quick look within rounds, Star didn't count twice in the 1st, but TJ McDonald DID count twice in the 3rd round. Thus, when Rhodes comes off the board, both the 1st and 2nd round lose a player, and when TJ McDonald comes off the board, 2 players are lost in the 3rd.

But on the whole, it's a very nice spreadsheet and a useful tool.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I like the scouting for each player, but the players per round total didn't make as much sense. I didn't even think to account for names being listed twice.

Either way, this bad boy is gonna get printed out so I can follow with the draft a bit more and have some fun with it.

The player I want the most is Phillip Thomas out of Fresno. He looks like a straight turnover machine. The play that blew me away is the wide receiver screen that he came in from about 10 yards deep and picked off for a touchdown. He also seems intent at causing fumbles and playing deep coverage. I like how he wraps up when he tackles and blitzes off the edges very well. Great ball skills. He doesnt have the ideal size, but he makes plays as a deep safety. If you look at his reel, he makes a lot of plays deep, he makes them on blitzing, and is just always in the right position. He gets his arms around the ball-carriers waist and drives. I also noticed him always trying to strip the ball. I love that. He makes breaks on the ball before the qb even throws it. Highly impressive.

Because when all of us watch Phillip Thomas, we see a guy who's not as much of a physical prospect as some of the guys ranked above him. I personally see a guy who takes a lot of bad angles in the run game, doesn't shed and get off blocks, misses a lot of tackles. I see a guy who can lay some wood but is going to get a lot of flags on the next level if he doesn't lower his strike zone. I see a lot of arm tackles, and I don't see him wrapping up to drive people down. He flashes the range and the speed to play, but he looks more like a guy you take in the later rounds and develop, then a guy like Vaccaro.

If you look back at Vaccaro's 2011 tape, you see a lot more of him playing the single-high safety and playing in coverage. This year he was asked to play the slot and down in the box more, and I think that showed the flexibility to do both. A guy who can play single high, Cover 2, in-the-box, and can cover wide receivers in man-to-man in the slot is going to get ranked over a guy like Phillip Thomas, who has several flaws in his game to become an every down starter.

In my mind, Thomas is someone you take in the mid-to-late fourth round, and you let him sit on the bench. I'm not even sure I'd have him play spot duty much; I'd have him play special teams and the like, but I would be very hesitant to start him at any time during his rookie season. The guys above him are guys I think we'd feel more comfortable if they were forced into having to start or playing a sub package role, that kind of thing.

NLC, as always everybody has their own opinion on certain players so differences are had. I love that there was a whole draft board done though, helps put guys in relation to others despite different positions.

I have some suggestions for guys to add to the draft board though.

- Everrett Dawkins (FSU) could be a pretty good 3-4 DE. He's got some moves. I like him better than Akeem Spence.

- Lavar Edwards (LSU), backup behind two hyped players so he didn't get that much playing time. Good measurables, looks more fluid in space than you'd think, and has potential to develop. I like him better than Cornelius Washington who was also a backup, but he looks too stiff. In space he moves more like someone with an extra 30 pounds of weight.

NLC, as always everybody has their own opinion on certain players so differences are had. I love that there was a whole draft board done though, helps put guys in relation to others despite different positions.

I have some suggestions for guys to add to the draft board though.

- Everrett Dawkins (FSU) could be a pretty good 3-4 DE. He's got some moves. I like him better than Akeem Spence.

- Lavar Edwards (LSU), backup behind two hyped players so he didn't get that much playing time. Good measurables, looks more fluid in space than you'd think, and has potential to develop. I like him better than Cornelius Washington who was also a backup, but he looks too stiff. In space he moves more like someone with an extra 30 pounds of weight.

When I get some time I'll bring him up to the guys. Dukes and Skins probably knows something about them...

Based off your chart and going best player available where we pick in each round of the draft and positions we need to fill, here is what I came up with for our draft.

2nd: Gavin Escobar (TE)

3rd: Tony Jefferson (SS)

4th: Stepfan Taylor (RB)

5th: Reid Fragel (RT)

5th: Rashard Hall (FS)

6th: Marcus Davis (WR)

7th: Nickell Robey (CB)

This is not how I would draft but this is basing the draft prospect where you have them ranked by position and our needs.

Archived