Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 NASCAR Season

Mongo2365

Yeah, I know they don't allow fans to stand right next to the fence. I was just saying, imagine if they DID allow them to. And there are already several inaccurate stories floating out there. One story I read said that Larson's car went "into the stands". And I know parts of it did, including a tire, and the engine came to rest right inside where the catch fence once stood. But leave it to the media to sensationalize parts of the story..:doh:

Take a media rush for the story + uniformed reporters = inaccurate reports every time.

Just curious, why are you relying on what your friend said. You didn't watch the race? They showed up close shots of the fence shredded, the engine on fire just inside the catch fence, etc You didn't even have to be there to know those things.

Nope, didn't watch, since we're planning to move to Guatemala in 18 months we've cut back on ALL non-essentials. This will be the first time in 27 years that I've missed the 500.

As for relying on what my friend saw...well, he was there I wasn't. That didn't sound like awful reasoning to me. :whoknows:

Take a media rush for the story + uniformed reporters = inaccurate reports every time.

Nope, didn't watch, since we're planning to move to Guatemala in 18 months we've cut back on ALL non-essentials. This will be the first time in 27 years that I've missed the 500.

As for relying on what my friend saw...well, he was there I wasn't. That didn't sound like awful reasoning to me. :whoknows:

That sucks that you will miss the 500, but what you're doing seems far more important. And good luck with that.

I kind of worded those last lines wrong in that last post you quoted. I guess I was under the assumption that you watched the race, yet maybe missed the post-race stuff they were showing of the scene or something. My apoligies.

They've raised the fences, too. And curved them at the top. I really don't see much else they can do. People's first inclination, especially non-Nascar fans, is to point the finger at Nascar. They aren't to blame.

I'm certainly not blaming them at this point. If there's no action and a similar incident in five years? Then I will.

I don't know what else they can do either, but there has to be a way to make the fences stronger or provide protection above the fence...a net maybe?

There may be modifications to the chassis they could look into as well. I see they are already running wheel tethers but that doesn't really factor into something like this where the whole front clip separates from the car. Changing to magnesium or other lightweight material for the wheel rims could reduce tire/wheel combos from 60 lbs to 30 or 40 (F1 runs a smaller 13in wheel that weighs, with tire, around 20 lbs).

Honestly not trying to point fingers, just hoping this leads to a safer situation in the future. History says that will be the case. Whether it's Dale Earnhardt's death prompting mandatory HANS use, Ayrton Senna's pushing F1 to mandate a brace of safety improvements including carbon fiber tubs, or the Mercedes crash at Le Mans in '55 that killed over 80 spectators and sparked a raft of safety-minded infrastructure improvements at tracks the world over; from all these tragedies has risen the phoenix of a safer brand of racing.

That sucks that you will miss the 500, but what you're doing seems far more important. And good luck with that.

I kind of worded those last lines wrong in that last post you quoted. I guess I was under the assumption that you watched the race, yet maybe missed the post-race stuff they were showing of the scene or something. My apologies.

No worries at all. We caught the gritty stuff on youtube, and it worries me even more to see more cars going through the fence. For all NASCAR screams about driver safety, their promos have been all about the wrecks, and then we get another one where fans are hurt at a racetrack where the speeds have been a known issue for sometime.

^^ I was mainly talking about the OP, who asked why does Nascar allow this to happen?

You made a lot of valid points. I'm convinced Nascar will look into even more measures to make the track safter. Mike Helton even said as much today. They don't take stuff like this lightly. Like Stewart said in victory lane, the drivers sign up for this, knowing that they could get hurt. But the fans don't.

The catch fence actually did it's job, aside from the mesh shredding. And yeah, that might be where they start, trying to see if they can make the fence even stronger. And hell, they might even have to raise the fences even higher, I dunno. Changes will come. I'm pretty sure of that. But the parts flying into the stands, I'm not sure how they can totally prevent that kind of thing.

Last I heard that the two fans that were listed in critical, are now stable, and their injuries are not considered life-threatning. Hopefully all 33 (or whatever the number is now) fans make a complete recovery.

*This post was intended for Hendrix haha. Guess I should have quoted him.

No worries at all. We caught the gritty stuff on youtube, and it worries me even more to see more cars going through the fence. For all NASCAR screams about driver safety, their promos have been all about the wrecks, and then we get another one where fans are hurt at a racetrack where the speeds have been a known issue for sometime.
It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they just scrapped the plate races altogether. It's not really racing, anyway.

---------- Post added February-24th-2013 at 01:10 AM ----------

Didn't we say the same thing after Carl Edwards went into the fence a couple years ago at Talladega?
Coincidently, Keselowski was the cause of both of them. However, he wasn't at fault for either. Like Regan Smith said, if you block a guy going for a win like that, you take your chances. Harvick got away with it in the Sprint Unlimited.

---------- Post added February-24th-2013 at 01:10 AM ----------

Didn't we say the same thing after Carl Edwards went into the fence a couple years ago at Talladega?
Coincidently, Keselowski was the cause of both of them. However, he wasn't at fault for either. Like Regan Smith said, if you block a guy going for a win like that, you take your chances. Harvick got away with it in the Sprint Unlimited.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they just scrapped the plate races altogether. It's not really racing, anyway.

That will never happen IMO, Daytona and Dega are the highest rating grabs all year, and seems like every year now we have another incident and every year the drivers complain that plate racing is going to kill someone again, but the super speedways are where the money is at, and I just don't know how you slow the cars down without creating a pack. The problem is that if they let the cars run without plates then Daytona and Dega would look a lot like Homestead or Texas with the entire field spread out. But, for those of us who have watched a long time, we know that's how the racing was at Daytona and Dega before the plates, but the wrecks sell ratings. I just don't know the answer here, but I'd hate for a driver to lose their life at another plate race, not to mention a fan, but if this keeps up it will happen it's just a matter of time.

I don't think it would be impossible to turn Daytona and Dega into Poconos. Just flatten out the corners and the speeds would go down. I'm not a fan of RP racing so that wouldn't bother me. It seems like it is just a matter of time before a car flies into the stands.

Agreed, I too think it is just a matter of time, and part of me is just cynical enough to think that NASCAR won't make these changes until it does happen. Lowering the banking certainly would cut the speeds I think that might actually be the best solution, because anything that restricts or governs the cars is just going to maintain the status quo and the teams are just going to find new ways to push the speeds back up again.

So is Danica a really bad driver? My buddy rails on her at every given opportunity, but then it's hard to look past the espn hype machine.

This will be the first race I've ever watched, start to finish.

I don't know if she's a bad driver, but she's way over hyped. Honestly, I don't see any difference between her and Anna Kornakova.

I don't see the point of RP race either. I'm just glad that the speeds at Richmond don't get high enough to where there's a better chance of this occuring.

Who do y'all think is going to win today? For some reason I see Smoke finally getting that 500 win on his resume.

Well.....so much for that prediction.

Is it just me, but does it sound like Waltrip have something against Danica Patrick? He's constantly on her when it cones to pitting.

I think it's the complete opposite, he's been riding Danica's vagina the entire race. I understand the history she's been making but she's all they've been talking about the entire telecast.

dw.jpg

Come on Danica

YOu go girl

---------- Post added February-24th-2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

http://twitter.com/smashleychavez/statuses/305795874083205120

Jimmie Johnson wins wowowowowow I can't believe it! #JKHESALWAYSWINNING :/

Jimmy Johnson is incredible. For a NASCAR racer to win every race he participates in, including all those Sprint For The Cup titles...

The guy has never lost a NASCAR race ever

Come on Danica

YOu go girl

---------- Post added February-24th-2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

http://twitter.com/smashleychavez/statuses/305795874083205120

Jimmy Johnson is incredible. For a NASCAR racer to win every race he participates in, including all those Sprint For The Cup titles...

The guy has never lost a NASCAR race ever

Yay, Johnson won again. :snore:

The NASCAR world collectively groans. :ols:

Yeah, I understand that people didn't want Danica to win, or didn't like her because of all the media attention, but at least it would have been someone new. Instead Johnson wins yet another race.

To be fair, it was a good race at the end. Just wish Danica had won it for historical reasons.

Yeah, I understand that people didn't want Danica to win, or didn't like her because of all the media attention, but at least it would have been someone new. Instead Johnson wins yet another race.

To be fair, it was a good race at the end. Just wish Danica had won it for historical reasons.

I wasn't pushing for Danica to win, but I would rather her win than Johnson.

It was funny watching the trophy presentation. Usually you have a bunch of people in victory lane, of course, but you also have a crowd of people surrounding victory lane, watching the presentation.

There was no crowd. Just the folks in victory lane. Nobody hung around to watch.

Johnson, despite all his winning, is not a fan favorite. :ols:

Archived