Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 NASCAR Season

Mongo2365

Forgot this thread was here.  Reading back through it, there seems to be (just like ESPN and NASCAR) too much Danica talk and not enough talk about the rest of the drivers.  Last year when Kyle Petty said what he said and then this year when Richard Petty said what he said, I think they were just saying what alot of us were thinking.  But I don't think they said it right. 

I wouldn't go as far as saying she's a bad driver, because we just don't have enough on her to determine that.  She's still learning and should be given the same learning curve as any 2nd year driver in NASCAR, male or female.  She seems she is right along the same lines as other 2nd year drivers.

I think the problem the Petty's have with here, but they didn't exactly say it right, is all the unwarranted attention she gets.  She's not a top 10 driver, she's rarely in the hunt for a win, yet when see ESPN's scroll at the bottom, they show the top 10 and "notables," like Stewart 22nd, Edwards 24th and then....Patrick 32nd.  Why do I want to know what she is doing?  Yes, I understand it's marketing 101 and the reason behind it, but it doesn't make it right.  Add that she is in alot of commercials and is interviewed just about every race, I can see why the Petty's have some disdain for her, even if it isn't her doing.

I mean, when she was in the open wheel series, she didn't win (once?), she would contend during some races and only contended in the points race her last couple of years.  She hasn't won anything in the Nationwide series and seems to do just as bad in that series as she does when she runs cup.  They are kind of right.  Like I said, I understand "why" they do it (marketing), but as a fan of NASCAR, it tiresome and I think that's what the Pettys are saying.

I don't hate the woman.  I have nothing against her, but the over the top coverage of her is nauseating.  I think it's too early to tell if she can be a contender, but I have this feeling she'll be nothing more than a field filler with an occassional race where she contends. I can kind of see what Kyle and Richard Petty are saying in a way.

Weird that it seems like the last few Daytona 500s have had weather issues.  Seems like it's clear for 3 weeks, and then the day of the race it pours.  Good finish.  I'm not a Junior fan, but I don't mind when anyone but Jimmie Johnson wins.  The only thing about Junior, Kahne or Gordon winning is, it puts another notch in the Hendrick dynasty.  I used to hate when Jeff Gordon would win all the time, but I've kind of liked him as he's gotten older. 

Some of you know I'm a Kurt Busch fan.  So I'll root more for Stewart Haas Racing this year. Hope he doesn't screw this ride up.  Well, on to Phoenix.

He's a fan, yes. But he doesn't know anything about football. And being a fellow Redskins fan is his only good quality. :)

I was going to start a new thread. Hopefully the guy that started this one will change the year.

I don't know, the piece he wrote for ESPN a year ago made it sound like he was pretty knowledgeable. Now I nkow their races in the fall often run concurrent to NFL games, but I'm sure that doesn't make him "less of a fan"

To be fair, I didn't hear as much Danica talk leading up to this year's race as last year's. Alot of that has to do with she didn't get the pole this year, but it seems that some of the hype has died down.

Do I think she gets unnecessary hype? Of course. But for NASCAR's sake, they'll take it because more people are tuning in to either a) root for her or B) hope she fails.

Junior is a die-hard Skins fan and that makes me pull for him if Harvick has no chance to win. Other noteworthy Skins fans in NASCAR, Denny Hamlin, Richard Petty, Dale and Ned Jarrett.

image.jpg

I think you missed the biggest fan in NASCAR, lol. 

To be fair, I didn't hear as much Danica talk leading up to this year's race as last year's. Alot of that has to do with she didn't get the pole this year, but it seems that some of the hype has died down.

Do I think she gets unnecessary hype? Of course. But for NASCAR's sake, they'll take it because more people are tuning in to either a) root for her or B) hope she fails.

I have been going to the IRL race in St. Pete every year it's been there, like 8 or 9 years now. Last year nobody missed the Danica hype, or her own trailers full of merch. She was never even the best female driver for any stretch in IRL. In fact Simone De Silvestra just got moved to an F1 team, something Danica could never sniff. NASCAR is using her as a marketing tool and rightfully so, that is all she is good for. I personally don't like the scow she wears. In IRL all the drivers are approachable, she never was. 

I have been going to the IRL race in St. Pete every year it's been there, like 8 or 9 years now. Last year nobody missed the Danica hype, or her own trailers full of merch. She was never even the best female driver for any stretch in IRL. In fact Simone De Silvestra just got moved to an F1 team, something Danica could never sniff. NASCAR is using her as a marketing tool and rightfully so, that is all she is good for. I personally don't like the scow she wears. In IRL all the drivers are approachable, she never was. 

You were doing it wrong! If you wanted her to approachable, you needed to have a camera on your shoulder with a sticker from either FOX, ABC, ESPN, SPEED, or NBC. She would have opened up to you then.

Danica isn't deserving of a seat in a Nationwide ride, much less Sprint Cup. She is a smaller, cuter version of Mike Skinner: runs fast at the super speedways but can't avoid running into things. See Sunday's 500. She had time to avoid the spinning car by diving to the inside. She drove straight into it. She could have minimized the damage by locking the brakes and turning left. She kept on the gas and lost control and slammed the wall. She finished 40th. She is just a bad driver.

Junior winning has made being in the Charlotte area the last couple of days annoying. I don't mind Junior, but he's not my favorite driver, but the fanfare the last couple of days has been nauseating. It's not like this is his first Daytona 500 win. Stop making such a big deal out if it.

Don't worry, he likely won't win for another two years. That win broke a 55 race winless streak.

Junior fans are even bigger idiots than Panther fans. Already heard one guy saying he would win 5 races. :facepalm:

Archived