Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 and Russel Wilson, throwing the ball away.

RedeemerAZ

i agree he needs to work on his decision making whether it is to run or throw the ball away. He has that mentality where he feels like he can always make something out of nothing, and thats the mentality that led us to trade the house for him. Like shanny said, its a double edged sword, and we live and die by the sword.

That's true, though I wonder if his mentality changes a bit when he has a dominant defense. But yeah, Wilson is pretty darn cool under fire and a great decision-maker.

Against B-More if he tried sliding he probably would of slid too late and got hit in the head by Ngata. Can't blame him on that, every game was basically an elimination game and we needed to come from behind at that point. Against Seattle, honestly he got pushed.......PUSHED, if he can't handle that then he shouldn't be playing in the NFL. Hopefully his injuries are just bad luck like Stafford.

On the play with Ngata it was 2nd down. There was still third down and fourth down if needed. If he slid and Ngata didn't pull up then that would have been a 15 yard penalty and a fine on Ngata. When Ngata saw him diving forward that is when Ngata dove at him.

Yes he was pushed but the play was dead. It was no reason for him to even get touched. We were lucky on that play the ball didn't get intercepted. He already knew he was injured it's not like he was 100% healthy at that point and got injured. He was a hobbled QB and yet he tried to keep a dead play alive instead of just throwing the ball away.

Griffin tries to make a play, and for better or worse, has no fear.

You would think that a fanbase that suffered through the nightmare that was Jason Campbell would appreciate these traits, but some people are going to complain regardless.

He's a rookie people. These are rookie mistakes.

How many players do you know that are the same after 2 surgeries on the same ACL? No one here wants to try for three. It's not that people think he isn't great or people don't like his pay, the guy is amazing! But not when hobbling around or out of the game.

I think Wilson's biggest advantage over RGIII is his ability to slide up in the pocket. I believe RGIII is the better overall QB, but he seems to attempt to escape the pocket by moving backwards too much.

I'd like to see him work on stepping up in the pocket.

I agree with this. Would like to see improvement with moving in the pocket. Also, I was wondering if this has something to do with how he was coached (a way to avoid hits)? At times it seemed like his first instinct was to get to the outside of the field or the sideline immediately if there was pressure instead of stepping up in the pocket or getting scrambling yards by taking off up the middle.

An accurate observation. Watched plenty of both this season as my buddy is a Seahawks fan. At times Wilson would throw the ball away so definitively and quickly that you'd wonder if he could have made a play. But, the upshot, he took no shot and there was zero chance of a sack or INT.

Saw every play by RG this season and I don't remember ever having that feeling. He has such confidence in his ability that he'll hold it and try to find space till there is no chance at all. You like it, till it results in a big hit or turnover.

Incidentally, Wilson was still more turnover prone than Griffin. Griffin did a fantastic job of not forcing throws all season although he, too, passed up some big play opportunities in doing so. The big hits you definitely have to worry about with him.

There are two things RGIII lacks in, this is one of them. The other is knowing how to slide and protect himself while doing it. RGIII held the ball way too long on many plays, in fact he seemed to lock into a receiver during those plays. He will need to learn to look at other parts of the field first and then the main receiver, and if its not there either scramble if possible or throw the ball away. Right now playing smart like that is as important as creating big plays, hell its even more important. He can't afford to get hurt again.

After watching games during the season and the playoffs recently - Both Wilson and Kaepernick are a little better at protecting themselves and/or "living to run another play" than RG3 at this point in their career. Robert's was a little more reckless, although he did do a good job protecting the ball, just not himself at times.

But I strongly believe that will change moving forward -- it has to.

Russel Wilson doesn't slide but doesn't take hits????? I know why though,it's because of the hype forced on RGIII by the media. Players are taking hits on RGIII every chance they get. How come when RG runs the option he has to run with his hand up in the air letting the defense know that he doesn't have the ball, but RW on the other hand can just play out the fake without taking any hits. Also I noticed that RW never chooses to slide,but doesn't seem to get hit at all? My take on it is the hype factor maybe the difference

Incidentally, Wilson was still more turnover prone than Griffin. Griffin did a fantastic job of not forcing throws all season although he, too, passed up some big play opportunities in doing so. The big hits you definitely have to worry about with him.

I would have to dispute that to a degree. Technically speaking, you're correct, 5 INTs is less than 10. But an underreported detail are the number of fumbles RG3 had that we didn't lose. They both only lost 3 for the year, which is a function of luck, but RG3 put it on the ground twice as much as Wilson did. RG3 was 3rd in the league in terms of most fumbles.

So the turnover prone-ness was true early in the year, where most of Russell Wilson's turnovers were. He didn't start out as strong as RG3, but he got it together and is a different QB. In the last 8 games, he and RG3 both had the same number, and RG3 missed a game.

How many players do you know that are the same after 2 surgeries on the same ACL? No one here wants to try for three. It's not that people think he isn't great or people don't like his pay, the guy is amazing! But not when hobbling around or out of the game.

I just meant that every rookie has flaws. Griffin's flaws are understandable, admirable to an extent, and (hopefully) easily corrected.

Also, a starting level RT and a possession WR would likely drastically reduce the need for him to scramble.

Basically, all rookies have to overcome flaws. I just think Griffin's are more correctable than most.

I would have to dispute that to a degree. Technically speaking, you're correct, 5 INTs is less than 10. But an underreported detail are the number of fumbles RG3 had that we didn't lose. They both only lost 3 for the year, which is a function of luck, but RG3 put it on the ground twice as much as Wilson did. RG3 was 3rd in the league in terms of most fumbles.

So the turnover prone-ness was true early in the year, where most of Russell Wilson's turnovers were. He didn't start out as strong as RG3, but he got it together and is a different QB. In the last 8 games, he and RG3 both had the same number, and RG3 missed a game.

However aren't the pitch plays that are dropped and the handoffs that are mishandled that led to fumbles attributed to the QB? If so wouldn't this completely skew those numbers considering the style of offense we played?

Archived