Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Early Plea to Sit RGIII.

Jethrodsp

I disagree. Habits are developed on the practice field. In game, players tend to fall back on their learned muscle memory; its not like they're getting coached on techniques between drives.

So, you'd be willing to sit RG3 for a year to develop some sort of new muscle memory? That just doesn't hold up. What would you have him do? Not get crushed by some giant DL on a play where he was already going to the ground? That was a freak hit...

Am I the only one completely mind blown that people would want him to sit even when the doctors say he's 100%?

nvm I found more people....

No, you're not. Some folks here want to sit him so he can acquire new muscle memory. I, for one, think it is a ridiculous proposition. Why didn't we just sit him this whole last year if he needed this skill set? I swear folks don't think before they type!!!

So, you'd be willing to sit RG3 for a year to develop some sort of new muscle memory? That just doesn't hold up. What would you have him do? Not get crushed by some giant DL on a play where he was already going to the ground? That was a freak hit...

I give up....sit him until 2525...

And what if it's recommended to him to wear the brace for the rest of his career? Should we never insert him back in the lineup because he has to wear a brace and that's somehow an indication of him not being "100%" (as opposed to simply an extra precautionary measure to someone whose already had that type of injury before)?

I agree. Tom Brady and Phillip Rivers have worn braces since their ACL injuries. Dan Marino wore one his entire career. So he goes from 4.3 speed to 4.4 speed with the brace on. He'll still be fast.

That's fair and reasonable but if we're 6-1 with Cousins can you really justify moving him out of the starting lineup?

Griffin should be the guy in 2014, not before imo. Plus, Cousins is an asset which could pay us back handsomely if he performs at a high level.

Good post. It's all about Cousins now. His mindset should be "2013 is my year!". All through OTAs and camp he should assert himself as the starter in every interaction with his teammates and coaches.

Thats the best thing for him, its the best thing for the team and the fans and its the best thing for RG3 as it provides ample time for the full rehabilitation of a very tricky knee.

Well put.

Sounds like you guys are more interested in "showcasing" Cousins and trying to get "something" for him then how the rehab is going and where we'll be this year with the guy that we draft #2 overall.

Sounds like you guys are more interested in "showcasing" Cousins and trying to get "something" for him then how the rehab is going and where we'll be this year with the guy that we draft #2 overall.

No kidding. Great post. Some folks' priorities are misplaced. You can't trot Cousins out there hoping to attract draft picks (who actually sometimes don't pan out!) when you have a healthy RG3 who could win NOW. There is no logic in this that thought process. If he's healthy you start RG3.

Speaking for myself, no; but it could be an interesting side effect of the injury similar to what we saw happen in New England with Cassel, Philadelphia with Feeley and Kolb, and Atlanta with Matr Schaub.

Speaking for myself, no; but it could be an interesting side effect of the injury similar to what we saw happen in New England with Cassel, Philadelphia with Feeley and Kolb, and Atlanta with Matr Schaub.

But weren't those guys put in because it was necessary to sit the starting QB? I don't see how that relates to this situation. If RG3 is healthy it wouldn't be necessary to sit him....

I agree. Tom Brady and Phillip Rivers have worn braces since their ACL injuries. Dan Marino wore one his entire career. So he goes from 4.3 speed to 4.4 speed with the brace on. He'll still be fast.

Braces and mouthpieces and etc. are not worn only because you are not 100%. I agree PJ, they are preventative tools that can save a player if they are ever in a bad situation. Still, freak things can happen.

I mean how many quarterbacks do you see taking head first dives back into the middle of the field? I don't think it was a freak hit, I think it was the inevitable result of his propensity to expose himself to hits when he is scrambling.

I am proposing giving him the time away from violent collisions to get more comfortable with playing from the pocket and not feeling the need to fall back on his legs so often.

This offseason would have been so crucial in that regard, now he has to spend it rehabbing the knee. Lets not be so rash as to put him back out there without the drillwork he would surely have been doing all summer had the injury never happened.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 01:30 PM ----------

But weren't those guys put in because it was necessary to sit the starting QB? I don't see how that relates to this situation. If RG3 is healthy it wouldn't be necessary to sit him....

In my opinion, even if RGIII is "cleared for contact" it is still necessary for his development and longevity to hold him back a little longer.

In all honesty, I don't think he's "100%" healthy by the season opener anyway...but as so many have pointed out, I'm no surgeon.

Shouldn't your thread have read "Please don;t play RG3 until he's 100% healthy" 100% impleys that he's not going to get any better. He want to play, he's being paid to play, open the door and let loose the dog of war. He's going to have a lot of time to contimplate sliding and avoiding contact. The kid is smart as hell, he's going to be fine.

I mean how many quarterbacks do you see taking head first dives back into the middle of the field? I don't think it was a freak hit, I think it was the inevitable result of his propensity to expose himself to hits when he is scrambling.

I am proposing giving him the time away from violent collisions to get more comfortable with playing from the pocket and not feeling the need to fall back on his legs so often.

This offseason would have been so crucial in that regard, now he has to spend it rehabbing the knee. Lets not be so rash as to put him back out there without the drillwork he would surely have been doing all summer had the injury never happened.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 01:30 PM ----------

In my opinion, even if RGIII is "cleared for contact" it is still necessary for his development and longevity to hold him back a little longer.

In all honesty, I don't think he's "100%" healthy by the season opener anyway...but as so many have pointed out, I'm no surgeon.

If it is necessary to hold him back now... why wasn't it necessary this past season? By this logic, we should have sat him out this year until this issue was addressed and started Cousins instead. This still doesn't make sense.

Really? Dan Snyder is to blame for a medical issue? You think he planned all of this just to raise ticket prices?

I'm sorry, but exactly where did i say I was blaming Snyder for a medical issue? I simply stated that there could be an ulterior motive for the 6-8 month timeframe given. The Danny is all about making money - and there's nothing wrong with that. One of the ways to accomplish that is to raise ticket prices, and it's my personal belief it would be hard for the Danny to do so if he didn't set the expectation that RG3 will be good to go week 1. As a 40 yr fan of this team (I grew up in P.G. county), I want to see a return to glory as much as the next guy. Setting an unrealistic expectation and then possibly rushing back what could be our means to that end after giving up so much could doom this team for another 20 yrs. Err on the side of caution is all I ask...

If it is necessary to hold him back now... why wasn't it necessary this past season? By this logic, we should have sat him out this year until this issue was addressed and started Cousins instead. This still doesn't make sense.

He's coming off a second major knee surgery in the last three years which resulted from a playing style which is not sustainable in the NFL. If he came out of 2012 healthy and with the opportunity to evolve his game all summer, putting him on the bench wouldn't make sense; but that's not the case. I still think he needs the practice time he won't get this summer because he'll be rehabbing the knee.

I'm sorry, but exactly where did i say I was blaming Snyder for a medical issue? I simply stated that there could be an ulterior motive for the 6-8 month timeframe given. The Danny is all about making money - and there's nothing wrong with that. One of the ways to accomplish that is to raise ticket prices, and it's my personal belief it would be hard for the Danny to do so if he didn't set the expectation that RG3 will be good to go week 1. As a 40 yr fan of this team (I grew up in P.G. county), I want to see a return to glory as much as the next guy. Setting an unrealistic expectation and then possibly rushing back what could be our means to that end after giving up so much could doom this team for another 20 yrs. Err on the side of caution is all I ask...

The mere fact that the whole thread is about whether or not RG3 should play or sit (a medical issue) and you bring up that Dan would want to raise ticket prices. I'm assuming you think that there is some correlation between him raising ticket prices and whether or not RG3 plays. What I'm saying is that his decision to raise or not raise ticket prices is irrelevant to the conversation.

The mere fact that the whole thread is about whether or not RG3 should play or sit (a medical issue) and you bring up that Dan would want to raise ticket prices. I'm assuming you think that there is some correlation between him raising ticket prices and whether or not RG3 plays is a direct correlation.

My argument is not about whether he should play or sit next season. My argument is about setting an unrealistic expectation for a return to action that could correlate directly to how the Danny has handled this franchise over the past 13 years. There's a track record there regardless how he's been hands-off the last 2+ years. There's a difference between being hands-off on football operations and making money for the organization. The raising of ticket prices based on purposely setting the current 6-8 month expectation is certainly within the realm of possibility when it comes to him. If Robert is rushed back to action too soon and gets injured again, there could be franchise ramifications for years to come. I don't believe any fan of this team would want to see that.. If sitting him an entire year or something along those lines will give this franchise the possibility of multiple super bowls over the next decade or so, I'd take that in a heart beat...

While I think the OP makes some good points, at this juncture saying he should just sit for the entire 2013 season is like saying he's gonna be 100% ready for the start of the season. You're presuming too much, and honestly know one knows.

Let's just wait to see how his recovery and rehab goes and take it for there. The only thing I don't want is for the organization and us the fans to put any pressure on him to try to rush back. Get the knee right. Get it back to feeling as good as it did for the start of his rookie year. I don't care how long it takes -- just do the right thing.

This thread exists because fans do not have confidence that team management (Shanahan et al) will keep RGIII off the field until he's 100% recovered. RGIII has to rehab both knees after the surgeries and we are looking at 8 months if everything goes well. I would keep him out until the knees are fully healed and he's back into football condition. So what if he's out 2-6 games? I don't want to see a gimpy RGIII out on the field DAY 1. Until he's back in peak form I don't want to see him on the field.

Archived